[News] Southwest Airlines engine accident

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[News] Southwest Airlines engine accident

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS News
A Southwest Airlines jet apparently blew an engine at about 30,000 feet and got hit by shrapnel that smashed a window and damaged the fuselage Tuesday, killing a passenger and injuring seven others, authorities said. The plane, a Boeing 737 bound from New York to Dallas with 149 people aboard, made an emergency landing in Philadelphia just before noon as passengers breathing through oxygen masks that dropped from the ceiling prayed and braced for impact.

National Transportation Safety Board chairman Robert Sumwalt said one person was killed. It was the first passenger fatality in a U.S. airline accident since 2009, Sumwalt said.

Passenger Marty Martinez told CBSN from the plane that a woman was injured and was taken off the plane.
John Goglia, a former NTSB member, said investigators will take the Southwest engine apart to understand what happened and will look at maintenance records for the engine.

"There's a ring around the engine that's meant to contain the engine pieces when this happens," Goglia said. "In this case it didn't. That's going to be a big focal point for the NTSB - why didn't (the ring) do its job?"
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Re: [News] Southwest Airlines engine accident

Post by Unagi »

:shock:
Holy cow!
That never happens.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Now reporting that the injured woman has died. That is some crazy stuff there, should be an interesting investigation to see what happened. This sort of thing is not supposed to occur...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those things are designed to contain the explosion but that one must have been way beyond what they expect if it killed someone. How horrible.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The $64 million dollar question is "What row?" on the 737.
two months
Rip

Post by Rip »

Landed by a 56 year old woman who is a former navy fighter pilot.

Great work by a true hero.

She is in the middle.

Holman

Post by Holman »

You can tell she's a badass from the cockpit audio of the accident aftermath.

She's utterly cool and comfortable while piloting a plane full of passengers with an exploded engine in low over a major city.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
mori

Post by mori »

Seeing pictures of the passengers I notice not a one of them was wearing their oxygen mask the correct way.

http://www.businessinsider.com/southwes ... ?r=UK&IR=T
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

mori wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:15 pm Seeing pictures of the passengers I notice not a one of them was wearing their oxygen mask the correct way.

http://www.businessinsider.com/southwes ... ?r=UK&IR=T
I noticed that too, and I'm not even a very frequent air traveler.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never fly and know that. No common sense in folk these days.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If you were in a depressurized aircraft in crisis and you covered only your mouth with the mask, wouldn't your instinct be to breathe only through your mouth? Would that mitigate the problem of not covering your nose?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Everyone knows those things are government issue and filled with secret knockout gas. Serves two functions. 1. If you do crash and die you dont see it coming or suffer. 2. If you survive the ytake yo to a secret base to experiment on you while replacing you with a clone / android.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They should have been shown at he beginning of the flight.
If the plane had crash landed they probably wouldn't have known how to exit the plane either.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Or it's entirely possible the plane had already descended to a safe altitude and the mask really wasn't required any longer.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
raydude

Post by raydude »

Grifman wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:48 pm Or it's entirely possible the plane had already descended to a safe altitude and the mask really wasn't required any longer.
Then why wear the mask while taking a selfie video? To make it more dramatic?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Let's be reasonable... Everyone was told to wear their masks, and likely told to keep them on. At a certain air pressure a person will realize they don't need the pure oxygen mask and 'cheat' by dipping their nose out of the mask.

And, I must admit - If I was on that plane, I may have taken a photo of the event as well.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Aaaaand I'm boarding a Southwest flight as I type this.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Keep yourself seat-belted.

Safe travels!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:11 am Aaaaand I'm boarding a Southwest flight as I type this.
Get an aisle seat!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 am
Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:11 am Aaaaand I'm boarding a Southwest flight as I type this.
Get an aisle seat!
Did that-in front of the engines!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The audio from the pilots is worth your time. Bad ass.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Meal wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm The audio from the pilots is worth your time. Bad ass.
Here's a version with subtitles and a little more explanation on what was going on.

The level of calm and expertise by all parties in the midst of a severe crisis is absolutely incredible. Bad ass applies to both the ground staff and crew.
I'm always blown away by these folks who can manage like that.

Huge props to all involved for getting this plane down safely.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:04 pm Huge props to all involved for getting this plane down safely.
Phrasing.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Southwest gives $5,000 checks to passengers on Flight 1380
"We value you as our customer and hope you will allow us another opportunity to restore your confidence in Southwest as the airline you can count on for your travel needs," Siwatu's letter said. "In this spirit, we are sending you a check in the amount of $5,000 to cover any of your immediate financial needs."

In addition to the money, passengers will also receive a $1,000 travel voucher, the letter said.
$5000 seems low. I would expect lawyers to be jumping all over this to make it a class action multi million dollar suit against Southwest, Boeing, General Electric, and anyone else within the vicinity.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And they're going to argue that a) very few people suffered actual injuries/losses and b) cashing the check means you agreed that it's a sufficient settlement.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Myself, I'd consider $5k a generous settlement for an hour of fear and anxiety. Hell, $5 is more than I'd feel entitled to...but I have low self-worth anyway. I would never fly again, though, so the $1k voucher would be laughable.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:27 pm I would never fly again, though, so the $1k voucher would be laughable.
Consider it pre-disastered, knowing nothing else will ever happen to you on a plane.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:27 pm I would never fly again, though, so the $1k voucher would be laughable.
Consider it pre-disastered, knowing nothing else will ever happen to you on a plane.
That's a great clip. I should watch that movie again. Didn't like it when it came out.

I already shun flying because of the degradation and discomfort, but I will fly if compelled, as happens every 5-10 years. I don't need a big excuse to declare a permaban. "Almost died once" would do nicely.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I knew I could count on someone.
Lilia Chavez filed suit against Southwest Airlines, GE Aviation, Safran Aircraft Engines and CFM International, a supplier of jet engines, in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania on Thursday. Chavez alleges in the lawsuit that the companies "unforgivably breached" the trust of passengers who "entrust their lives and safety, to entities such as Southwest and the CFM Defendants."
MHS

Post by MHS »

I seem to recall no one sued after the Miracle on the Hudson incident, and the settlement there was also $5000, although I believe they technically called it a lost luggage settlement,
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Southwest Airlines plane with cracked window makes emergency landing in Cleveland
A Southwest Airlines plane flying from Chicago to New Jersey has been forced to land in Cleveland after one of its windows cracked.

There were no reports of injuries after Flight 957 landed safely on Wednesday morning.

According to passengers on Twitter, the window shattered during flight.
Short your Southwest stock!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Did the truck's engine blow, throwing debris and cracking his window so he couldn't see the jet liner? If not, I can't see the connection to this thread. :ninja:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.