Question RE: California Unemployment

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Question RE: California Unemployment

Post by Drazzil »

Can a person file California unemployment after collecting a year of disability?

The most credible answer I've heard is No, because CA UI looks at the last years work related income and short term disability insurance doesen't count.

Anyone know how this works?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Re: Question RE: California Unemployment

Post by Drazzil »

I called the UI people to ask but they are only open between 8 and noon.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

When I lived in CA 25 years ago they looked at the prior 12 months employment starting at a date 6 months in the past.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

A quick google search says you probably can under certain circumstances.

Check out the Calif EDD online. Ask someone there.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Form ... blications

Specifically, Form DE 1275B.

They are looking at the last 18 months of wages, so you may be eligible. But you also must be willing and available to work and actively looking for a job - which it doesn't sound like you are.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I could work a desk tomorrow.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Most states require you to be actively seeking work, and that means keeping a verifiable log of job search activity. Simply stating you are available for a job you may not be qualified for is not sufficient.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The "actively looking for work" thing is pretty easily faked. Especially if you have no skills. Heck, you don't even really need to fake it. Twenty minutes worth of phone calls or on-line searching will suffice.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

When tlr was collecting unemployment, it was enough to just list the websites to which she had submitted a resume.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pretty much the same here and I suppose I could have gamed the system, but my objective was really to find a job, so I typically exceeded the requirements.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I collected unemployment in my teens (in the Carter economy), I had to have a log book signed by interviewers, and I had to present that book for inspection every week to pick up my check. Michigan required two interviews per week and there were dire consequences for anyone caught falsifying records, although nobody ever checked AFAIK. And yes, you had to wait in line every week for your check. It took so much effort that I used to joke that I worked for the government.

It did motivate one to get off unemployment ASAP, so it had that going for it. Nowadays it's harder to enroll for benefits, but collecting them is automatic until they run out (at least here in MA, don't know anything about CA).
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:40 am When I collected unemployment in my teens (in the Carter economy), I had to have a log book signed by interviewers, and I had to present that book for inspection every week to pick up my check. Michigan required two interviews per week and there were dire consequences for anyone caught falsifying records, although nobody ever checked AFAIK. And yes, you had to wait in line every week for your check. It took so much effort that I used to joke that I worked for the government.

It did motivate one to get off unemployment ASAP, so it had that going for it. Nowadays it's harder to enroll for benefits, but collecting them is automatic until they run out (at least here in MA, don't know anything about CA).
I have only collected unemployment for two weeks in my life.

In today's world you couldn't do the logbook thing because nobody hires out of a store anymore, every thing is online.
Black Lives Matter
daedalus

Post by daedalus »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:09 pm Can a person file California unemployment after collecting a year of disability?

The most credible answer I've heard is No, because CA UI looks at the last years work related income and short term disability insurance doesen't count.

Anyone know how this works?
you should, i think, be able to since disability theoretically interrupts timing. i mean . . . you could file and the worst they could do is deny.