It's a Smallville Sex Cult after all?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

It's a Smallville Sex Cult after all?

Post by Pyperkub »

Man, that kryptonite must have been bad...
“Smallville” actress Allison Mack has been arrested for her alleged role in the notorious upstate sex slave cult Nxivm, federal prosecutors announced Friday.

She is expected to appear Friday in Brooklyn federal court on charges of sex trafficking and forced labor...

...Mack, who played Chloe Sullivan on the hit superhero show, was recruited to Nxivm by fellow “Smallville” star Kristin Kreuk in 2006 and rose up the ranks into Raniere’s inner circle — while Kreuk ultimately left, the group’s former publicist previously told The Post...

...Mack, 35, was Raniere’s direct “slave” and had a sexual relationship with him — but also acted as a “master” to other slaves, who were forced to have sex with Raniere and get his initials burned into their pubic region with a cauterizing pen, according to the criminal complaint.

As the women were being branded like cattle, Mack allegedly placed her hands on their chests and told them to “feel the pain” and to “think of [their] master,” prosecutors say.

The actress first lured the women into the secret society within Nxivm known as “The Vow” — and cajoled them into providing “collateral” like embarrassing photos and statements to use as blackmail, federal prosecutors allege.

She then allegedly groomed the slaves for sex with Raniere
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Re: It's a Smallville Sex Cult after all?

Post by Holman »

That is creepy, weird, and evil. I'd never heard of any of this until this moment.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

U2K is going to be crushed.

I'd been following this story for a while. The more you read about what happened and how long it went on, it's probably much worse than your imagining. Quite a few famous names were associated with this cult, though it might have been in the early days and certainly not to the same degree. The whole story is f-ing nuts.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 pm U2K is going to be crushed.

I'd been following this story for a while. The more you read about what happened and how long it went on, it's probably much worse than your imagining. Quite a few famous names were associated with this cult, though it might have been in the early days and certainly not to the same degree. The whole story is f-ing nuts.
Kristin Kreuk is a name that I have seen tied to this cult as well.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 pm U2K is going to be crushed.

Kristin Kreuk is a name that I have seen tied to this cult as well.
Per the article, she's the one who recruited Allison Mack (Chloe), but backed out as it got creepier (the brandings, etc.).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's Wall of Weird stuff right there!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm That's Wall of Weird stuff right there!
This requires acknowledgement. Nice work.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

I have more questions than answers after doing a little research. So this is how I understand it. A guy started a pyramid scheme/lifestyle coach racket which became a cult. Enlisted individuals to brainwash and procure sex slaves for him. And a couple of these individuals were B-list actresses. Am I in the ballpark?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm That's Wall of Weird stuff right there!
:clap:
DD*

Post by DD* »

WTF?!?! I don't know who any of these people are, but damn that is grade A crazy ass shit right there!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cults are fascinating but scary. I can't even begin to understand how people involved in these situations can see obvious inhuman crimes being committed right in front of them, yet view them as not only okay, but as rights of passage or acts of worship. I've been listening to the Cults podcast and they do a nice job of breaking down the psychology of how people fall under the sway of cult leaders, but I just can't empathize with them. It seems totally alien to me.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:57 am Cults are fascinating but scary. I can't even begin to understand how people involved in these situations can see obvious inhuman crimes being committed right in front of them, yet view them as not only okay, but as rights of passage or acts of worship. I've been listening to the Cults podcast and they do a nice job of breaking down the psychology of how people fall under the sway of cult leaders, but I just can't empathize with them. It seems totally alien to me.
The actress first lured the women into the secret society within Nxivm known as “The Vow” — and cajoled them into providing “collateral” like embarrassing photos and statements to use as blackmail, federal prosecutors allege.
Plus [stuff that would move this to R&P]!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:01 pm
:clap:
Here! Here! (I had forgotten about the Wall of Weird!)

:dance:
Last edited by Pyperkub on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Man, why do I always hear about the good cults after they've been investigated and disbanded?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You've got to learn to network better. Or start being the cult leader that you want to see in the world.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, although I've never been in a sex cult myself (yet!), my sense is that you really need to be management in order to get what you want out of it.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

In this particular case, it was the top guy only. I've been following this story since last story and the rumors are that he had wives swear that they wouldn't be with their spouses -- AND THESE GUYS MOSTLY HUNG AROUND FOR SOME REASON.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Allison Mack attempts to recruit Emma Watson and Kelly Clarkson.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably more information you ever wanted to know about the sex cult:
Raniere presented himself as a great philosopher, an ethical man and a scientist pushing the bounds of human capability. He had not only devised classroom-based courses that lasted as long as 12 hours a day for 16 days — recalling the Landmark Forum, a group-therapy company that has its origins in the 1970s consciousness-raising seminar EST — but also advocated that his followers control habits of mind and body, like food and exercise. He also seemed to have a unique, pulsating idea that resonated with women, particularly wealthy ones. This was an intersection of theories about femininity, victimhood, money and ethics, much of it influenced by Ayn Rand, one of Raniere’s favorite authors. The ultimate Nxivm member was “potent,” in Nxian lingo — not only rich but emotionally disciplined, self-controlled, attractive, physically fit and slender — or, in the word most members themselves preferred, “badass.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You never saw Bea Arthur leading a sex cult. I'm just saying.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

unique, pulsating...
:shock:
idea
:roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The other pulsating thing really isn't that unique.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Point.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pulsating is a really weird adjective to attach to idea. What differentiates a pulsating idea from a non-pulsating idea?
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 pm Probably more information you ever wanted to know about the sex cult:
Raniere presented himself as a great philosopher, an ethical man and a scientist pushing the bounds of human capability. He had not only devised classroom-based courses that lasted as long as 12 hours a day for 16 days — recalling the Landmark Forum, a group-therapy company that has its origins in the 1970s consciousness-raising seminar EST — but also advocated that his followers control habits of mind and body, like food and exercise. He also seemed to have a unique, pulsating idea that resonated with women, particularly wealthy ones. This was an intersection of theories about femininity, victimhood, money and ethics, much of it influenced by Ayn Rand, one of Raniere’s favorite authors. The ultimate Nxivm member was “potent,” in Nxian lingo — not only rich but emotionally disciplined, self-controlled, attractive, physically fit and slender — or, in the word most members themselves preferred, “badass.”
TTIWWP :)

mori

Post by mori »

I watched the episode on Nxivm on the cult show on AMC the other night. Looking at from the outside a person wonders how could anyone fall for this, but Ms. Edmondson did a pretty good job explaining what happened to her. Members made her feel good and empowered. But bring in your good looking friends that have money, no ugly or poor ones. And the branding in the crotch area was done with a cauterizing pen :shock: . Talk about torture.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The 12-person jury found Keith Raniere, the founder of the "Nxivm" self-help company, guilty on all charges after deliberating for less than five hours today.

Here's a breakdown of the verdict:

Racketeering: Guilty
Racketeering Conspiracy: Guilty
Wire Fraud conspiracy: Guilty
Forced Labor conspiracy: Guilty
Sex trafficking: Guilty
Sex trafficking conspiracy: Guilty
Attempted sex trafficking: Guilty
Keith Raniere's sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 25.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That sounds like a lot of prison time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's 58. 25 to life isn't going to be that big of a range.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:43 pm Yeah, although I've never been in a sex cult myself (yet!), my sense is that you really need to be management in order to get what you want out of it.
After all, they're not going to brand their genitals with your initials if you're just a low-level slob.
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I'm just amazed how people get involved in these sorts of groups/cults. If you are a woman, and want to have sex with a group of people, then simply sign up for a swingers group. They love single women.

It's the same thing when I watch American Greed and hear these people that can spin obvious bullshit. Granted, it helps if you have a credible spokesperson which the more successful cons provided to lure in people. I don't care how beautiful a woman is...if she asks to brand my no-no zone...it's not happening. Tattoo, maybe, because...you know...lasers.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:10 pm You never saw Bea Arthur leading a sex cult. I'm just saying.
Thank God! :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Now you have!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Buatha wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:42 pm I'm just amazed how people get involved in these sorts of groups/cults. If you are a woman, and want to have sex with a group of people, then simply sign up for a swingers group. They love single women.

Seriously? Women don't join to have sex.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure why anyone would think they joined for that reason. They're victims, for the most part. This was closer to rape than it was to desire. :shock:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They generally join for benign reasons. This one, I believe, was touted as a self-help and womens' support group. Once you're in, they are genuinely helpful until you begin to trust them. Once you do, they start manipulating and conditioning you until you start to believe that their more outlandish suggestions are reasonable. And again, in this case, they then used that leverage to produce blackmail material, which they then used to force even more extreme behaviors.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:36 pm I'm not sure why anyone would think they joined for that reason. They're victims, for the most part. This was closer to rape than it was to desire. :shock:
I think it's a case of projecting. For example, I know people that if they do a thing for a particular reason, they assume that everyone who does that thing is doing it for the same reason as them.

So if someone thinks the only reason to join a sex cult is for the sex, then they'll think that everyone who is in that sex cult obviously joined it to have sex.

That's why you'll have men or women say that men and women can't be friends because the 'friend' really wants sex not friendship. The people saying that are really just saying "The only reason I'd be friends..." but they project it out to make sound like everyone is the same way.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

My apologies, I typed in ignorance. I don't mean they would join up for that reason, but if someone placed a sexual requirement to stay within the group once included, I'd like to think some serious thought would go into that decision.

I still have a hard time understanding human behavior when it comes to cults and how seemingly rational people can get involved to the level where they would allow people to brand their flesh.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Buatha wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 am My apologies, I typed in ignorance. I don't mean they would join up for that reason, but if someone placed a sexual requirement to stay within the group once included, I'd like to think some serious thought would go into that decision.

I still have a hard time understanding human behavior when it comes to cults and how seemingly rational people can get involved to the level where they would allow people to brand their flesh.
It's psychological manipulation, threats of harm, and in this case literal blackmail, that keeps individuals in once the bad shit starts. It's never, "Well you like it this far, how about we throw in some rape and physical abuse? You ok with that?"

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do understand the disbelief that people could lose themselves, their free will, to cults. That's always fascinated (read: frightened) me. I highly recommend the podcast Cults for in depth analysis of the various cults this world has seen, and how they managed to recruit and victimize their followers. Sometimes for decades at a time without any penalty from society.
He won. Period.