Earth Day 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Earth Day 2018

Post by Daehawk »

Today is Earth Day and this is Google's doodle.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moliere

Re: Earth Day 2018

Post by Moliere »

Trash from previous Earth Day events. How about we celebrate by staying home and not littering or buying more crap we don't need?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I tore up earth along the side of my house then got it all over my hands when I had to dig through it to extract the roots of creeper vines that I don't wish to see this year.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:46 pm
Trash from previous Earth Day events. How about we celebrate by staying home and not littering or buying more crap we don't need?
Was that trash specifically manufactured for Earth Day, or would it have wound up in the cycle regardless?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:42 pm
Was that trash specifically manufactured for Earth Day, or would it have wound up in the cycle regardless?
Strewn all across the park isn't exactly "in the cycle". It gets in the cycle after "somebody else" cleans it up for the hypocritical persons.
Stop funding for NPR
Holman

Post by Holman »

em2nought wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:00 pm
Strewn all across the park isn't exactly "in the cycle". It gets in the cycle after "somebody else" cleans it up for the hypocritical persons.
So those manufactured objects would never have gone to a landfill were it not for that event? They would have remained on the shelves forever? They would not have been created in the first place?

Making other people clean up is one thing, but such is the nature of crowds. But the crowd did not itself produce the waste--the structure of manufacture and disposal did.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I generally don't celebrate invented "holidays," especially when one of the people behind "Earth Day" murdered his girlfriend and hid her body in a trunk in his apartment. YMMV, of course.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All holidays are invented.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:28 pm
em2nought wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:00 pm
So those manufactured objects would never have gone to a landfill were it not for that event? They would have remained on the shelves forever? They would not have been created in the first place?

Making other people clean up is one thing, but such is the nature of crowds. But the crowd did not itself produce the waste--the structure of manufacture and disposal did.
Wow! Amy, I don't think we're going to be a good fit. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:48 pm All holidays are invented.
Except my birthday.

I don't "celebrate" any holidays. I "observe" those that disrupt my routine whether I like it or not.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:48 pm All holidays are invented.

:)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D

I love that line.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

DD* wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:21 pm I generally don't celebrate invented "holidays," especially when one of the people behind "Earth Day" murdered his girlfriend and hid her body in a trunk in his apartment. YMMV, of course.
Good news! Not only do you not have to worry about the invented holidays thing, but you can also ditch the concerns over a co-founder being a murderer!
Snopes wrote: However, Einhorn’s involvement with the original Earth Day was minor and tangential, and his claims of having had more substantial involvement in the event have been disputed by the accounts of others who took part in it.

. . . .

The Earth Week Committee of Philadelphia, the group responsible for setting up the first Earth Day, has also denied that Einhorn was significantly involved in the birth of that environmental holiday.

. . . .

A group of very dedicated young people worked very hard to organize Earth Day, but Einhorn was not one of them. In fact, Einhorn was asked to leave several meetings of the organizing committee which he attempted to disrupt. He was not welcome there, nor did he contribute in any material way to the committee’s activities. Einhorn, given a small role on the stage at Earth Day, grabbed the microphone and refused to give up the podium for thirty minutes, thinking he would get some free television publicity. We just waited until he had completed his “act” and then got on to the serious business at hand, the keynote speech of U.S. Senator Edmund Muskie, author of the landmark U.S. Clean Air Act of 1970.
So you can observe Earth Day with clear conscience next year!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's always "that guy".
Enough

Post by Enough »

Actually, that was NOT an Earth Day event. It's a 420 celebration from last year in Denver that got the original organizers tossed and caused all sorts of controversy. Moliere should do the respectful thing and find an accurate image or take it down.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enough wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:29 pm
Actually, that was NOT an Earth Day event. It's a 420 celebration from last year in Denver that got the original organizers tossed and caused all sorts of controversy. Moliere should do the respectful thing and find an accurate image or take it down.
Pic 7
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock’s administration banned the organizer of this year’s 4/20 rally from hosting the event for three years citing a series of violations at the marijuana celebration.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enough wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:29 pm
A quick search found this replacement article and pics. Of course the article is mostly a conservative rant, but meh, that's the internet.

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Enough

Post by Enough »

OMG Moliere, quit while you are behind. :D

LOL, you are such the curmudgeon clearly are suffering from a serious case of confirmation bias. You knew, just knew with your gut, that no good could come from people celebrating Earth Day in the park and so you set out to find any example you could find to prove your little pet point.

So first, you post a pic of Denver's 420 celebrations last year that has 420 in the link and yet you claim it's Earth Day pic either out of sheer sloppiness or deceit. Called on this, rather than admit you were just grinding axes, you immediately lept to the Google and post the next link you found (at least I hope so considering how shitty that malware-infested site you linked is). And you failed to vet the source and sadly, you completely missed again. This time:
To set the record straight here, the people partying on Fort Mason Green last Saturday would hardly identify themselves as part of any particular group that promoted anything other than getting drunk on cheap beer. There was no organized Earth Day celebration, and (perhaps more to the point) the partying occurred on April 21st. Which would be the day before Earth Day, for those keeping score at home.

This kind of blatant fabrication has become something of a trademark move for Fox News and News Corp in general, who seem to base much of their reporting on making outrageous claims and hoping no one calls them out on it. Why, just this morning Fox & Friends host Steve Doocy admitted that he made up part of an Obama quote, so it would sound like a dig at Mitt Romney. And climate scientists recently called out the News Corp-owned Wall Street Journal for printing BS about global warming.
Dolores Park gets destroyed on the regular (including non-Earth Day events), and the year you are showing featured an Earth Day Sunday morning park cleanup that had it nice by noon the following day. I am going to guess it didn't occur to Moliere that park trash cleanups are one of the single most popular Earth Day public events by a wide margin. So let's just be overly generous and assume that a number of large urban areas have Earth Day festivals at parks that results in some park trashage. I am going to wager nearly all of them are cleaned up by the next day by volunteers associated with said Earth Day events. And the cleanup is exactly what happened in your newly posted non-example of a non-Earth Day event. So maybe there is a bit of Earth Day trash that never gets picked up, but I am willing to make a wager that is far, far outweighed by the tons of trash picked up over the history of Earth Day.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enough wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 pm And you failed to vet the source
Vet my sources? Who has time for that?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:22 pm
Enough wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 pm And you failed to vet the source
Vet my sources? Who has time for that?
Well... you said you already knew your second example was a crappy source. So that might be a good sign to not post if it's too much work to verify that your opinion has any roots in actual reality. Or maybe at least after the first time you blew it and posted a 420 celebration pic instead of Earth Day you would make sure your new source was not yet more conservative propaganda with no basis in truth. But, it's the internet, meh, I will just go ahead and post more pictures claiming to be of parks trashed by Earth Day that are not actually of that at all. I mean it's not like the internet could influence elections or anything, who cares about sources or accuracy? :clap:

I am honestly curious how you came across the 420 celebration pic you blamed on Earth Day. Was that posted in an article shaming enviros for Earth Day hypocrisy by chance? LOL.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enough wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm I am honestly curious how you came across the 420 celebration pic you blamed on Earth Day. Was that posted in an article shaming enviros for Earth Day hypocrisy by chance? LOL.
Google Images search for Earth Day trash.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:57 pm
Enough wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm I am honestly curious how you came across the 420 celebration pic you blamed on Earth Day. Was that posted in an article shaming enviros for Earth Day hypocrisy by chance? LOL.
Google Images search for Earth Day trash.
Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Though you should edit your posts still now that you know you are in error.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enough wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 pm Though you should edit your posts still now that you know you are in error.
At the risk of sounding repetitive: this is the internet. I can't very well correct known falsehoods. :wink:
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:16 pm
Enough wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 pm Though you should edit your posts still now that you know you are in error.
At the risk of sounding repetitive: this is the internet. I can't very well correct known falsehoods. :wink:
If you give me your login I can fix em' right up for ya. Jebus. You are the one who falsely claimed in this thread your festival pics are of Earth Day trash when they have been shown they are not, so take them down and edit your post or continue to help spread lies. I didn't ask you to fix the internet, I asked you to clean up your own trash.