Antioch TN 4 dead 4 injured Waffle House shooting

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Antioch TN 4 dead 4 injured Waffle House shooting

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/38012396/1- ... e-shooting

The video says he ran naked from the scene but the text says....
ANTIOCH, TN (WSMV) -

Murder warrants have been issued by Metro Police for the suspect that killed four people and injured four others in a mass shooting at a Waffle House in Antioch early Sunday morning.

Police are still looking for the suspect, identified as 29-year old Travis Reinking of Treemont, Ill. He was last seen walking south down Murfreesboro Pike with black pants and no shirt.
The asshole
Enlarge Image

His gun...of course
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Re: Antioch TN 4 dead 4 injured Waffle House shooting

Post by em2nought »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/22/us/w ... oting.html

It seems like they'd stop letting these guys fall through the cracks.
Stop funding for NPR
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You'd think but no. I was just reading up on 4 stalkers of Taylor Swift. One guy threatened to kill her and her family and broke in her home plus was found with ropes gloves knives and other things on her porch. 10 years probation only. Still free.
The four guns he owned — including the AR-15 he brought to the Waffle House on Sunday — were given to his father by the authorities for safekeeping and his father apparently gave them back to his son, officials said. Mr. Reinking’s father could not be reached for comment on Sunday.
They should charge that dumb bastard with murder as well and throw him in prison and throw away the key.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I don't know what to fucking think anymore. Guy gets firearms license revoked. Guns given to father. Guns go back to son. With that type of gaping loophole and the absence of judgment the mind boggles.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:00 pm You'd think but no. I was just reading up on 4 stalkers of Taylor Swift. One guy threatened to kill her and her family and broke in her home plus was found with ropes gloves knives and other things on her porch. 10 years probation only. Still free.
The four guns he owned — including the AR-15 he brought to the Waffle House on Sunday — were given to his father by the authorities for safekeeping and his father apparently gave them back to his son, officials said. Mr. Reinking’s father could not be reached for comment on Sunday.
They should charge that dumb bastard with murder as well and throw him in prison and throw away the key.
I would think he should be charged as an accessory or something. but a lot would depend on the court order and if it was a permanent ban.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Holman

Post by Holman »

Why were the guns given to the father for safe-keeping? The shooter is 29 years old. Both the father and the son are fully grown men.

This is like taking the guns from a criminal and giving them to his friend. "Make sure he doesn't get these, okay?"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sheriff Robert M. Huston of Tazewell County said in a news conference on Sunday that while Mr. Reinking “voluntarily surrendered” the weapons on Aug. 24, his father had a firearm owner’s identification card and a legal right to take the weapons.
From the NYT article linked above.

That is such bullshit. That Sheriff failed big time and is just trying to cover his ass. Thse firearms should have been kept. The guy is an adult and they were his fireams. The father doesn't have a right to take them.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Based on Illinois law, he does. And not just because he's family.

Tennessean
A state police firearm disposition record shows Travis Reinking surrendered four weapons: the AR-15, a 9mm handgun and two hunting rifles.

While the form states the weapons were being revoked, it also includes a listing for the name and address of a person to whom the firearms will be transferred.

Reinking's father, who has a valid owner's card, is listed as the person who received the weapons.
Under Illinois law, no one may give away a weapon to anyone who does not have a valid owner's card. However, there's an exemption if the transfer is a "bona fide gift" to a relative, according to state law.
The form
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's not a gift though. But even if the disposition form makes it losher, the father is still on the hook for giving what were now his guns to his son.

Especially for the handgun if his son had moved to Tennessee. Interstate "gifting" of hanguns requires an FFL transfer.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The "bona fide gift" rule is only necessary if the recipient doesn't have a card. The father did.
"(The father) was advised that he needed to keep the weapons secure and away from Travis. (The father) stated he would comply," reads a report from the sheriff's office.

How he managed to reacquire weapons after Illinois law enforcement determined he was not legally allowed to possess any is being investigated.

But a review of Illinois and Tennessee state law shows it's likely Travis Reinking and his father did not violate any firearms laws before Travis Reinking opened fire early Sunday.
"(The weapons) would not have been lawfully in his hands in Illinois. Now, possessing them in Tennessee, I don't know that he would have violated any Tennessee law," Anderson said.
Law enforcement believe Reinking's father returned the weapons to Reinking. Tazewell County Sheriff Robert M. Huston said Sunday his office has no information as to when Reinking obtained his weapons after August 2017.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:18 pm The "bona fide gift" rule is only necessary if the recipient doesn't have a card. The father did.
"(The father) was advised that he needed to keep the weapons secure and away from Travis. (The father) stated he would comply," reads a report from the sheriff's office.

How he managed to reacquire weapons after Illinois law enforcement determined he was not legally allowed to possess any is being investigated.

But a review of Illinois and Tennessee state law shows it's likely Travis Reinking and his father did not violate any firearms laws before Travis Reinking opened fire early Sunday.
"(The weapons) would not have been lawfully in his hands in Illinois. Now, possessing them in Tennessee, I don't know that he would have violated any Tennessee law," Anderson said.
Law enforcement believe Reinking's father returned the weapons to Reinking. Tazewell County Sheriff Robert M. Huston said Sunday his office has no information as to when Reinking obtained his weapons after August 2017.
In Illinois, if you don't have a card, you cannot posess a firearm, gift or not. So the gift rule has to apply to card holders because there is no other legal way to posess a firearm in Illinois.

In Tennessee there is no card. But like I said, if it included a handgun, he'd need an FFL to gift across state lines. All reports said it included a handgun.

Tazewell County Sheriff Robert M. Huston said Sunday his office has no information as to when Reinking obtained his weapons after August 2017.
They're probably sweating a bit waiting on the investigation of where and when his dad gave him his guns back.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm In Illinois, if you don't have a card, you cannot posess a firearm, gift or not. So the gift rule has to apply to card holders because there is no other legal way to posess a firearm in Illinois.
Code
(a-10) Notwithstanding item (2) of subsection (a) of this Section, any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card.
(a-15) The provisions of subsection (a-10) of this Section do not apply to:
(2) transfers as a bona fide gift to the
transferor's husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, or daughter-in-law;
Which is irrelevant in this case, as the father had a valid card.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'd also add that even if the letter of the convoluted law was followed here, it's shocking that the guns were returned. Departments are notorious for holding firearms indefinitely even if there turns out to be no crime involved.

MYT
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I read somewhere that his family is relatively well to do. This could explain why the father thought nothing of giving him the guns and why the father may not go to prison over this. I'd guess it may also depend on how well connected the family is, think of John Hinckley for an example of what I mean.

I believe people have the right to guns, but I also believe people should be held responsible for those guns. In this case the father had the guns and knew for a fact they were removed from his son's possession by law. So if he gives them back to the son the father is complicit in anything the son does with those guns, including committing murder.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 pm
Then it's always irrelevant because the person receiving always has to have a valid card or with parties would be in violation of state law. The gift rule just exempts both parties from having to do the verification with the ISP.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:15 pm
Then it's always irrelevant because the person receiving always has to have a valid card or with parties would be in violation of state law. The gift rule just exempts both parties from having to do the verification with the ISP.
I disagree with your interpretation, but as I am not an Illinois resident nor a lawyer, I have no real skin in this game to argue it further. My interpretation doesn't impact how it will be applied by those in charge of it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:23 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:15 pm
I disagree with your interpretation, but as I am not an Illinois resident nor a lawyer, I have no real skin in this game to argue it further. My interpretation doesn't impact how it will be applied by those in charge of it.
It's not that open to interpretation:
(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
(a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm, stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
(2) No person may acquire or possess firearm ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

Exceptions being LEO, national guard, color guards with blanks, ranges, and non-residents.

So yeah, the dad could recieve transfer of the firearms because he had a FOID. The gift rules had nothing to do with it since the police were involved with the transfer. But there is no way the father could legally transfer the guns back in-state and if he did it out of state he likely violated interstate transfer of a handgun. Sheriff will come under deserved scrutiny regardless. Like in Lakeland.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Legal or not he is stupid for doing it.