Ford drops all but 2 car models for North America

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: Ford drops all but 2 car models for North America

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:39 am I'm still not thrilled with losing either model among other and I think this has the potential to bite Ford badly in the ass the next time gas stays above the $3 a gallon for anything approaching an extended period of time.
Escape gas mileage is comparable to the Fusion. Also they have the EcoSport. Crossovers are getting into a decent place on mileage and the extra utility of the space seems a reasonable trade off. Nothing Ford has will compare to the Fiesta, but nobody (in the US) wants the Fiesta.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:34 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:39 am I'm still not thrilled with losing either model among other and I think this has the potential to bite Ford badly in the ass the next time gas stays above the $3 a gallon for anything approaching an extended period of time.
Escape gas mileage is comparable to the Fusion. Also they have the EcoSport. Crossovers are getting into a decent place on mileage and the extra utility of the space seems a reasonable trade off. Nothing Ford has will compare to the Fiesta, but nobody (in the US) wants the Fiesta.
The Escape's gas mileage being comparable to the Fusion is on paper and people who drive them, know this.

Ford probably should have been pushing the EcoSport harder before announcing this. It had the PR potential to make this announcement easier. The good news for me, is that I'm still waiting to put money down on a car and the Escape has been too expensive to justify. If Ford deep discount the EcoSport so people see them and talk about them and buy them, then I could be in if the test drive is comfy enough.

I must say, one thing these models have that I don't trust is that they turn off the engine at a stop. Maybe it's the guy who drove $200 to $1000 cars for the first 15 years or so he had a license, but that just feels like a bad idea.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:43 am I must say, one thing these models have that I don't trust is that they turn off the engine at a stop. Maybe it's the guy who drove $200 to $1000 cars for the first 15 years or so he had a license, but that just feels like a bad idea.
I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid that has that feature and it is now 15 years old and has 225k miles on it. I really like it and never had an issue with it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One model
Back in April, Ford announced that it was phasing out all small cars except the Ford Mustang and the Ford Focus Active in North America. Except now it looks like the Mustang may be on its own, as The Blue Oval brand will not bring the Focus Active stateside due to new tariffs imposed by the Trump administration.

It’s time to say goodbye to the Ford Focus, which we thought was going to remain at least in lifted form. But alas, that’s no longer the case. Ford told Jalopnik over the phone why the China-built Focus Active would not come to the U.S.:

“We made a business decision to stop development of the Focus Active crossover because of the negative financial impact of the new tariffs on vehicles imported from China.”

Ford’s spokesperson would not say that the Mustang will be left as the sole non-SUV or truck in the lineup, instead he pointed out that the Fiesta is available through 2019 and that the Fusion will be around for “at least a few more years.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Flex is dead
Ford Motor plans to lay off about 450 workers at its Oakville Assembly plant in Ontario, Canada as it stops producing the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT crossovers.

The layoffs will occur in early-2020 after Ford discontinues production of the Flex in late-November, according to Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker.

Ford on Monday also said it halted production this month of its Lincoln MKT — a crossover built at the plant on the same platform with similar components as the Flex.

Both vehicles are being discontinued as part of a previously announced plan for Ford to redesign or replace 75% of its vehicle lineup by the end of 2020. The plan is specifically focused on expanding Ford’s truck and utility lineup and shedding passenger cars, except for its iconic Mustang sports car.

The layoffs are in addition to about 200 job cuts at the plant in September to better match vehicle supply with customer demand.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reuters
Ford Motor Co (F.N) plans to close an engine plant in Romeo, Michigan, as part of a tentative agreement with the United Auto Workers union for a new four-year contract, a source told Reuters Thursday.

The 600 hourly workers at the plant will be offered jobs at a nearby transmission plant or buyouts, a source said. The UAW said Wednesday the Ford deal “secured over $6 billion in major product investments in American facilities, creating and retaining over 8,500 jobs for our communities.”

Ford will close the plant in the future under the UAW agreement. Ford and the UAW declined to comment.

In March 2017, Ford said it was investing $150 million in the Romeo Engine Plant to boost capacity for engines and new tooling for components, one of three Michigan plants at the time it said were getting new investments. Ford said the investment was to boost the plant building engines for vehicles that include Ford Super Duty, E-Series, Ford Shelby GT 350 Mustang and Shelby GT350R Mustang, along with components for F-Series, Mustang, Explorer and Edge.

In 2017 U.S. President Donald Trump praised Ford’s decision to invest in Romeo and two other Michigan plants. “Major investment to be made in three Michigan plants,” Trump posted on Twitter at the time. “Car companies coming back to U.S. JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!”