Coca Cola - Old New Classic

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Coca Cola - Old New Classic

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:35 pm Cant do 2 liters. They go flat after the first pour.
Hint: Put the cap back on. ;)

I like both Coke and Pepsi. Pepsi is sweeter to my taste. I prefer Pepsi with pizza but Coke with most everything else. I also prefer both of them flat. I always shake up a 2 liter after pouring a glass to speed the process along. I don't drink a lot though - a 2 liter usually lasts about a month.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

YellowKing wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:11 pm McDonald's Coke from the tap is still the best outside glass bottles. I've heard all kinds of theories as to why that is, from the syrup concentrations they use to the wider size of their straws.
In general, I agree, but It is very tap dependent. I have 3 stores around me and 2 are never good while the 3rd is hit or miss. When it's good, though, it's great!

The biggest abomination are the Coke Freestyle machines. They don't clean the dispenser between flavors so you can get contaminated Coke. The only thing I use it for is Dr. Pepper. After combining 23 flavors, I find one more random one to rarely be noticeable.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

They don't clean the dispenser between flavors so you can get contaminated Coke.
+1 shared spigot anything always tastes odd to me. Going back to why is McD's Coke better? I'm finding that this rule might be a past rule because too often I'm looking forward to my McDs Coke treat with my McDs fries treat only to find my Coke has hint of fruitiness to it and the entire experience is ruined. I don't get pop or fast food often so when I do, I expect it to be perfect (how fucked up is that?)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:35 pm Cant do 2 liters. They go flat after the first pour. Also I agree with the glass bottles. So much better. But a 6 pack of glass in 8oz is $5 so thats out except for rare occasions.
Store them on their side. The liquid forms a seal with the cap.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The biggest abomination are the Coke Freestyle machines. They don't clean the dispenser between flavors so you can get contaminated Coke. The only thing I use it for is Dr. Pepper. After combining 23 flavors, I find one more random one to rarely be noticeable.
The only time I use that type machine is at the Firehouse Subs shop and only to get their Cherry Limeade
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:54 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:35 pm Cant do 2 liters. They go flat after the first pour. Also I agree with the glass bottles. So much better. But a 6 pack of glass in 8oz is $5 so thats out except for rare occasions.
The gas still escapes the liquid to gas inside the bottle to increase the gas pressure until the bottle pushes back with enough force.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:05 pm
The gas still escapes the liquid to gas inside the bottle to increase the gas pressure until the bottle pushes back with enough force.
So shake it up to blend the gas back in to the liquid. Problem solved.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:05 pm
Kinda. When the bottle is on it's side, the volume is defined by the used liquid and the gaseous CO2 is reaching equilibrium with what is still dissolved in the soda. Thus it will only lose a specific amount of dissolved CO2 each time you take a drink. If you stand the bottle upright and the cap allows CO2 to leak pass, the bottle can go completely flat after one drink (given enough time).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not a point I'm arguing against.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:56 pm
The only time I use that type machine is at the Firehouse Subs shop and only to get their Cherry Limeade
Yep, those new machines truly suck, I go with Dr. Pepper and I run the tap a second or two before I place my cup underneath. I hope Subway never converts to those machines.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Subway? Whats that? :) I used to love Subway but once I found Quiznos then Firehouse Ive not been back in at least 10 years.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Squeeze the 2-liter after each pour to make a smaller package and reduce surface area and dead-air volume.

Or do what I did and buy a screw-on carbonator cap so you can inject a little CO2 from your draft beer system into your soda bottle.

You DO have a draft beer system at home, don't you? :coffee:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you don't, there are cheaper methods of increasing the bottle pressure.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

But that doesn't preserve carbonation. That just uses...air!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 pm Squeeze the 2-liter after each pour to make a smaller package and reduce surface area and dead-air volume.
But does the residual stress in the plastic of the bottle (and its attempt to retain its manufactured shape) cause it to try to pull carbonation out of the liquid to maintain the pressure equilibrium inside and out? I think you're moving in the direction of creating a low-pressure situation inside the bottle and guess where it's going to be pulling gas from?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It won't put any CO2 back in, but might keep more from escaping.

Steve Spangler backs you up.
Pressure At first glance, this part of the equation makes the most sense. Here’s what we know… the higher the gas pressure above the liquid in the bottle, the more gas will be pressed into the liquid. Makes sense. However, here’s the kicker. Once you open the bottle, the vast majority of the carbon dioxide molecules that were forced into the soda at the bottling plant come flying out. It’s that unmistakable sound of PSSSSST!

What about those gadgets called Fizz Keepers (you know, those pumps sold at the grocery store that supposedly re-pressurize the soda)? Do they work? When you pump the piston up and down, you’re pumping plain old air (mainly oxygen and nitrogen) into the bottle. However, scientists tell us that the escaping gas can be pushed back into the liquid only by forcing more molecules of that particular gas (in this case carbon dioxide) into the space above the liquid. In reality, there isn’t one more molecule of carbon dioxide in the liquid after pumping the Fizz Keeper gadget than if you had simply screwed the cap on tight. You guessed it, the gadget is just a glorified soda bottle cap. Yes, it gives you that satisfying PSSSSST! sound, but that’s all it does. So, in terms of pressure, there’s not much that can be done.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

The Meal wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 pm Squeeze the 2-liter after each pour to make a smaller package and reduce surface area and dead-air volume.
But does the residual stress in the plastic of the bottle (and its attempt to retain its manufactured shape) cause it to try to pull carbonation out of the liquid to maintain the pressure equilibrium inside and out? I think you're moving in the direction of creating a low-pressure situation inside the bottle and guess where it's going to be pulling gas from?
Just gotta squish the bottle more so it CAN'T return to its original shape.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

:roll: (Engineers) :lol:

Trust me, your soda will stay fresher longer if you merely store the bottle on its side. The effect only diminishes noticeably when the liquid level falls below the bottle cap. You can keep an open 2-liter bottle for a few days without your beverage going completely flat, although it will of course lose some pizzazz as time goes on.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So you're saying I want to blow in to the 2 liter like it's a balloon before putting the cap on it... or maybe replace the lost soda pressure with water pressure.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm I'm relatively anti-cola.
Ironic, given that Max Headroom once was used in a Coke commercial ;)

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:03 pm
So you're saying I want to blow in to the 2 liter like it's a balloon before putting the cap on it... or maybe replace the lost soda pressure with water pressure.
Yes. But Kraken is correct that his bottle-on-its-side is going to seriously slow down pressure loss through the cap.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm I'm relatively anti-cola.
Ironic, given that Max Headroom once was used in a Coke commercial ;)

Oh, I’m aware of the disconnect.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I used to be a Pepsi fan until I was in a Navy school in the late 80's where all the vending machines were Coca-Cola. I learned to love the stuff and now I find Pepsi way too sweet and flat tasting, though I will occasionally get a Pepsi out of a drink fountain that tastes OK. But with Coca-Cola, I greatly prefer them over ice. If I'm going to have to drink a soda straight out of the can I'll usually drink Dr Pepper instead. But regardless of what I'm drinking, the canned version always tastes better than those poured out of plastic bottles, which is why I stockpile coke 12 packs in my garage.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone else remember the old Dr Pepper bottles that had ten two four on them? Its when you should drink one.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Watching that Max Headroom commercial I realize how totally freaking insane the '80s were.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YellowKing wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 pm Watching that Max Headroom commercial I realize how totally freaking insane the '80s were.
Nah just Matt Frewer. :) He was in a good ep of Star Trek The Next Generation too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don’t forget Eureka.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Matt Frewer has always had a unique voice I found easy to recognize.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

YellowKing wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 pm Watching that Max Headroom commercial I realize how totally freaking insane the '80s were.
What I find myself thinking about when I see stuff like that is how today's technology is better, much better, but lifeless in comparison. A Max Headroom character would be too slick, too perfect, if done today. He would look better but it would suck the personality right out of him.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At the time of Max most people didn't know if he was real or a computer .
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, actually that was the beauty of it. it's the relatively simple setup coupled with the tech of era. Certainly felt groundbreaking for its day though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti