I, for one, welcome our cephalopod overlords

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD*

Post by DD* »

Some random clicking around the interwebs today brought me to this article: The Outer Space Octopus Theory. Additional links within the story.

The truth is out there.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Drazzil

Re: I, for one, welcome our cephalopod overlords

Post by Drazzil »

I'm a big fan of conspiracy theories and I still find that a bit far fetched.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The fossil record is unkind to soft-bodied invertebrates. I'll hazard that the odds of an undiscovered progenitor or two are higher than panspermia. But it's a fun idea, and not impossible.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I have absolutely no idea how that part of the article got past peer review. There is exactly zero evidence for the cosmic origin hypothesis and tons of genetic evidence showing how cephalopods are related to not just other mollusks but all other animals. We don’t have a huge fossil record, but that’s not surprising given the soft bodied nature of these inverts. This article is getting hammered in the evolutionary biology world.
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I have absolutely no idea how that part of the article got past peer review. There is exactly zero evidence for the cosmic origin hypothesis and tons of genetic evidence showing how cephalopods are related to not just other mollusks but all other animals. We don’t have a huge fossil record, but that’s not surprising given the soft bodied nature of these inverts. This article is getting hammered in the evolutionary biology world.
That’s just what “they” want you to think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:04 am The fossil record is unkind to soft-bodied invertebrates.
Well, unkind is your goal is to be recorded, but what if your goal is to not be recorded? What if your goal was to blend in and be unnoticed?

Fossil recording has indeed been very kind...
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Aren't Ammonoidea related to living coleoids (squid, octopus, etc)? There's plenty of fossils of them around.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Octopus heavy cavalry has arrived.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Mice and rats have nothing on the Octopus in this regard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3N0i_KM8cI
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Octopuses have alternating periods of "quiet" and "active" sleep that make their rest similar to that of mammals, despite being separated by more than 500 million years of evolution.

During their active periods of sleep, octopuses' skin color changes and their bodies twitch, according to a report in the journal iScience, and they might even have short dreams.

"If they are dreaming, they are dreaming for up to a minute," says Sidarta Ribeiro, a neuroscientist at the Brain Institute at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte in Brazil.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Brian

Post by Brian »

But are they dreaming of electric sheep?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Brian wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:06 pm But are they dreaming of electric sheep?
Pretty sure they are dreaming of smiting all non-believers.
Black Lives Matter
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

I guess geologists are in wth the non-believers?

Western Australia is Smoove's next holiday.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

For Smoove's edification, here's the video from the guy who was attacked:

Background:
I was walking along the beach in Geographe Bay outside Ramada resort in Dunsborough, Western Australia, on 18th March with my two year old daughter. We were preparing to go for a swim. I saw the arms of an octopus come out of the water and lash out at a seagull. I initially thought it was a stingray, which are common in the area and quite friendly. I walked with my daughter in my arms up to the octopus and took this video. The octopus lashed out at us, which was a huge shock!

Further information:
20 minutes later we had set up a tent further along the beach and I went for a swim while my wife and daughter stayed on the shore. I had assumed the octopus would have gone out to deeper water. I was wearing goggles, and saw a pile of crab shells. The water was around 1.5m deep. I swam over the crab shells to see what they were and felt a sudden whip across my arm. My goggles became fogged, the water was suddenly murky and I remember being shocked and confused. I was then struck a second time, more forcefully, across my neck and upper back. I can only describe it as a "whipping" sensation followed by a stinging (and a rapid rush to shore!). When I got back to shore I began to see the raised imprints across my arm, over my neck and upper back. I got my wife to take a photo of my neck (which has since been shared on Instagram) so that I could see it, and we decided to quickly pack up and go back to the resort. The pain was not as bad as a blue bottle or other sting that I've had before. We did not have any vinegar/acid to pour over the sting (which is typically what is done in surf lifesaving) so I suggested my wife pour coke over me. This worked well to stop the stinging.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, thanks. It's 100% nightmare fuel. I don't know how anyone watching it lurk in the shallows and then snap out isn't freaked the hell out. It's downright terrifying.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mate should have tried octopus on the barbie. And about those friendly stingrays? The ghost of Steve Irwin would like a word with him.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:41 pm Yeah, thanks. It's 100% nightmare fuel. I don't know how anyone watching it lurk in the shallows and then snap out isn't freaked the hell out. It's downright terrifying.
Indeed. Although their mysterious gigantic deep sea brethren are more than a little perturbing, too:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cephalopods in space!
"Animals, including humans, rely on our microbes to maintain a healthy digestive and immune system," Foster said. "We do not fully understand how spaceflight alters these beneficial interactions. The UMAMI experiment uses a glow-in-the-dark bobtail squid to address these important issues in animal health."

Bobtail squid, which are only about three millimeters long, work as the perfect model to study this for two reasons. These squid have a special light organ inside the body which can be colonized by a species of luminescent bacteria. The squid can then use that bacteria to glow in the dark. Because it's a single species of bacteria and one type of host tissue, it's easy for researchers to follow how this process unfolds, Foster said.

The squid also have an immune system which is very similar to the type that humans have.