Should I have my resume professionally prepared?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Should I have my resume professionally prepared?

Post by Xmann »

I'm in a position to interview for a nurse director position at the hospital I work. I'm high on the list of qualified candidates and feel my odds are favorable.

However, my resume hasn't been updated in a few years and it's what I have thrown together myself over the years.

Is it worth having it done professionally? How much should I look to spend?

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lorini

Re: Should I have my resume professionally prepared?

Post by Lorini »

Doesn't Linkedin have some tools for that? And there's plenty of resume creating information on the 'net, I'd recommend Lifehacker as a place to start. You can do anything a 'professional' preparer can do.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No one knows your work experience and what is relevant to your new job like you do.

If you're worried about aesthetics, there are plenty of examples and tutorials.

That said, I don't have any experience applying for exec level jobs. Hopefully some executive level dudes here will chime in.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that lives with a certified professional resume writer...

If you're looking to have it updated quickly so that you can apply for a job *right now* you're going to end up paying much more than if you're just looking to update your resume. This might sound obvious, but depending on the nature of the resume and the turnaround time needed, you might end up speaking to quite a few people to find one that is willing to work under the conditions necessary. There might also be a professional resume writer that specializes in creating resumes for your field or for the job you're looking to apply for.

Costs are going to vary, but if you're looking for someone local, check here. They're not the only source, but one I am familiar with.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife and I just did a colleague's resume and generic cover letter for $140 -- four hours at $35. That was a "friends & family" discount from our usual $50 rate. So expect to pay $150-200, depending on its length, complexity, and what you want out of it. This woman's main objective was simply to get it down to one page, so it was straightforward rewriting/editing work with no fancy formatting.

On one hand, a third party can often spot redundancies and trivialities that you can't see because you're too close to it. OTOH, you probably don't need a professional overhaul if you're an inside candidate for a specific job.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Won't need the resume for a couple weeks.

Google shows me prices anywhere from $500-1200 here in Denver.

Yikes

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I can in theory see the value of a professional resume writer, but what does a professional resume writer offer in terms of evidence that professional resume writing is worth it?

I mean, I totally get it if the issue is that the client doesn’t feel comfortable doing it themselves, but aside from that, are there stats that get tracked to demonstrate the effectiveness of these services?

I guess I understand the value proposition, but not the metrics you would use to choose between professionals on something like this.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well, clearly an editor and/or proof reader if nothing else is going to be value added. I know plenty of decent to good leaders who aren't the best at written communication, so having a professional go over their stuff makes some sense. Not sure that it's worth hundreds, but I can see that it has value.

If you're looking for metrics on professional versus non-professional resume success rates, good luck, but I assume you knew that.

Depends on your confidence in your own resume writing and grasp of the english language, I guess.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I paid $175 for a session with a professional service to help me with my resume. The changes they suggested made my resume much better.

I would recommend it. I've seen enough resumes that needed help too.
mori

Post by mori »

If you get an in person interview through Indeed are you expected to present a professionally prepared resume? After all they have been through your on-line resume, had a telephone interview, and then want to meet face to face. Should I give them a piece of thick paper with the same redundant shit?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It's not just for the piece of paper. It's to make sure you write what people want to see. A bad resume is still going to be bad when uploaded into Indeed.