2018 Hurricane Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: 2018 Hurricane Season

Post by stessier »

Seems to be about over here. Still some gusty winds, but rain is dying down. Looks like the center is in NC about now.

Our site has a rain gauge - 3.18" since midnight and 3.64" in the last 24 hours. I think 2 of those inches hit me on the way from my car to the front door of our office. My pants still aren't dry.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My parents' house is the one in the bottom middle

NOAA maps
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Oof. It's hard to tell from the pic, but doesn't look good. At least theirs isn't the top right house....
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or the lower right.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Missing shingles, downed fences, trashed vehicle, one broken window, and no interior damage. Plenty of work to do and waiting on power and water to come back, but no major losses.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:12 pm Missing shingles, downed fences, trashed vehicle, one broken window, and no interior damage. Plenty of work to do and waiting on power and water to come back, but no major losses.
That's not bad. Similar to what I had with Irma. Lost a massive mango tree, but it didn't land on anything luckily. One thing I learned is the fences always come down because of trees and branches. Even in a Cat 1 or TS.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hawaii
A piece of the United States has been dramatically wiped off the map after an island in Hawaii was washed away by a powerful hurricane.

East Island, a remote spit of gravel and sand that sat atop a coral reef, has vanished after having this misfortune to come into contact with Hurricane Walaka, an intense storm that surged past Hawaii earlier this month.

Scientists have confirmed the disappearance of the 11-acre island after comparing satellite images of the surrounding French Frigate Shoals, part of an enormous protected marine area in the north-western Hawaiian Islands.

“I uttered a swear word. I had a ‘holy cow!’ moment, somewhat in disbelief that it had disappeared,” said Chip Fletcher, a professor of earth sciences at the University of Hawaii. Fletcher and his colleagues were in the process of researching East Island through drone videos and taking samples of sand and corals to ascertain the age of the island and gauge its future prospects in the face of climate change.

“The island was probably one to two thousand years old and we were only there in July, so for it to be lost right now is pretty bad luck,” Fletcher said.
Despite its size, the island played an important role for wildlife, including the critically endangered Hawaiian monk seal, a species that numbers just 1,400 individuals, with many of the seals raising their young on East Island. Green sea turtles, which are also threatened, and seabirds such as albatrosses, which often had their young preyed upon by circling tiger sharks, also depended on the island.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 pm Hawaii
A piece of the United States has been dramatically wiped off the map after an island in Hawaii was washed away by a powerful hurricane.
Jeez, if the news isn't fake these days, then it's exaggerated. Looks like the island isn't completely gone to me. :wink:
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Michael upgraded to Cat 5
Category 5, the strongest on the 1-5 Saffir-Simpson scale, begins at 157 mph. Its winds were previously estimated at 155 mph, a high-end Category 4.
Michael thus becomes the first storm to make landfall as a Category 5 in the United States since Andrew struck southern Florida in August 1992 (Andrew was also upgraded from a Category 4 to a 5 in post-storm analysis). Michael was blamed for 49 deaths and more than $5.5 billion in damage.

The upgrade comes after the National Hurricane Center sifted through and reanalyzed reams of data. It examined “aircraft winds, surface winds, surface pressures, satellite intensity estimates, and Doppler radar velocities — including data and analyses that were not available in real time,” the Hurricane Center’s post-storm analysis reported.
The Hurricane Center notes that Michael now ranks as the fourth-strongest hurricane on record to make landfall in the United States, trailing only the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Hurricane Camille in 1969 and Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

It also becomes the third hurricane to strike Florida as a Category 5, and its October landfall made it the latest a storm this strong has ever struck U.S. shores.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Going to need to start a new thread because On Monday evening, forecasters at the National Hurricane Center determined that a low pressure system in the Atlantic Ocean had sustained winds of 40mph, and therefore should be named Subtropical Storm Andrea. This was the first named storm of the 2019 Atlantic season, and it could bring some moderate rainfall to Bermuda on Wednesday before dissipating.
So what is going on? While some scientists have suggested that warmer oceans may cause a lengthening of hurricane seasons in the Atlantic and other basins, the interplay between hurricane activity and climate science is complex. There is no definitive answer as to whether the June 1 "beginning" of the Atlantic hurricane season should be brought forward.

In this case, Klotzbach said he thinks a lot of the reason for the heightened activity in the past decade is due to continued improvements in technology to detect storms and provide wind speed data. Given the overall rarity of such storms, it is difficult to discern any reliable decadal or multi-decadal variability—but that may be factor as well, he said.
Maybe next year, maybe no go