2018 Hurricane Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: 2018 Hurricane Season

Post by Daehawk »

They should fire people like that. Trump will use that shit as fake news.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:46 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:37 pm That is from a couple of years ago, at least. I've seen it before.
It was, and yet it isn't. Sucks because these storms shouldn't be taken lightly but the media can't help but fish for viewers and over play things at any turn they may feel they need to.
I remember one that had a rescue squad in a rubber boat paddling through what was revealed to be knee-deep water.

I recall that too. and I'm not even sure this is it:

or

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Woke up to some good news this morning.

- Neighbor did a walk around of our house and no trees down, just some large branches. No damage that he could see. Our cheap $60 greenhouse even survived.

- Power came back on for our neighborhood this morning. This isn't a complete surprise as our lines are all underground and we usually get it back very quickly. However, there was no guarantee so it was good to hear we were back up.

- I-40 east back into Wilmington is supposedly open. They're urging people not to return until Monday as a lot of city roads are still impassable. We had not planned on heading back until at least Monday or Tuesday anyway, but it's good to hear there may be a way to get back home. [Update] It's closed near Warsaw now - I expect we may see more of this as river levels continue to rise in the wake of the storm. However they expect to have them back open Monday morning.

- Airport is supposed to open back up today, so right now things are looking promising that we will be able to make our trip to Orlando on Friday.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

That's all great news YK!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And surprising no one The Weather Channel has come out in defense of him. If I could speak to them Id tell them two things....

1. Thats fucking bullshit and you should be ashamed.

2. Id fire that stupid ass.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Looks like I may have been a bit too optimistic in my travel plans. More likely could be mid-week before I can get back.

My work called me in today. I was like umm.....no? Apparently the flooding is so bad they're trying to get any employees in town that can make it to the hospital to get on site to relieve the storm team, as they could be stuck there for several more days.

This really sucks - I can't just reschedule the trip now in the off chance that we can make it back. But if I do make it back we'll be cutting it really close. At this point it's all a gamble.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:26 am Looks like I may have been a bit too optimistic in my travel plans. More likely could be mid-week before I can get back.

My work called me in today. I was like umm.....no? Apparently the flooding is so bad they're trying to get any employees in town that can make it to the hospital to get on site to relieve the storm team, as they could be stuck there for several more days.

This really sucks - I can't just reschedule the trip now in the off chance that we can make it back. But if I do make it back we'll be cutting it really close. At this point it's all a gamble.
From what I've heard on TV, and anecdotally, I wouldn't attempt that trip right now, unless you want to risk spending the night in your car.
Hodor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We are still in Charlotte. Not sure of road conditions but I know 74/76 was completely underwater and I-40 was still flooded as of yesterday morning. I have seen reports of one convoluted route to get in, but it's being threatened by the river still cresting so not worth the chance.

We were supposed to fly out of Wilmington Friday to Orlando, and there was still a small chance we could get back home (maybe). But the window of opportunity was closing to change plans. Finally we decided "Screw this" and made plans to take the kids with us. That way my mom doesn't have to worry about getting back and keeping them in possibly unsafe conditions (she has several leaks). It makes our trip quite a bit more expensive, but now I don't have to worry about getting back at all until next week. We're just going to drive straight down to Florida from here.

My work disbanded the storm team, so situations in town must be improving quite a bit. They just got power back to my building late yesterday.

It's still pretty bad - no gas, limited stores open. I still have several friends and co-workers who can't leave their neighborhoods due to flooding. My in-laws have been trapped inside since Wednesday; they finally got enough trees cleared to be able to get out today to the grocery store. Damage-wise my family was extremely fortunate - leaks were about the worst of it. I did have my deck railing broken by a giant branch but that's small potatoes compared to what I was expecting.

To a person, everyone I've talked to who stayed said they would never make that mistake again. As hard as it's been for us to get back to town, and as screwed up as it made our vacation, I'm REALLY glad we decided to get out.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 am We are still in Charlotte. Not sure of road conditions but I know 74/76 was completely underwater and I-40 was still flooded as of yesterday morning. I have seen reports of one convoluted route to get in, but it's being threatened by the river still cresting so not worth the chance.

We were supposed to fly out of Wilmington Friday to Orlando, and there was still a small chance we could get back home (maybe). But the window of opportunity was closing to change plans. Finally we decided "Screw this" and made plans to take the kids with us. That way my mom doesn't have to worry about getting back and keeping them in possibly unsafe conditions (she has several leaks). It makes our trip quite a bit more expensive, but now I don't have to worry about getting back at all until next week. We're just going to drive straight down to Florida from here.

My work disbanded the storm team, so situations in town must be improving quite a bit. They just got power back to my building late yesterday.

It's still pretty bad - no gas, limited stores open. I still have several friends and co-workers who can't leave their neighborhoods due to flooding. My in-laws have been trapped inside since Wednesday; they finally got enough trees cleared to be able to get out today to the grocery store. Damage-wise my family was extremely fortunate - leaks were about the worst of it. I did have my deck railing broken by a giant branch but that's small potatoes compared to what I was expecting.

To a person, everyone I've talked to who stayed said they would never make that mistake again. As hard as it's been for us to get back to town, and as screwed up as it made our vacation, I'm REALLY glad we decided to get out.
Glad you and yours are safe. Thanks for the update.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

My first chance to post since the storm passed. So happy to see everyone on here escaping without major issues. Im near Columbia, SC but north and East and I tell you while we had just a few tree branches down and a little bit of water into our garage, the wind was terribly scary Friday and Saturday and our max gusts were only around 55mph. I can only imagine what those closer to landfall went through. My thoughts with those still being impacted with the significant flooding that is currently/impending as all that water moves south through the river systems. Hope everyone can get back to some sense of normalcy in the very near future.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

How's everyone doing??
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm in the Greenville, SC area. We were spared the worst of it - only got some moderate wind and a bit over an inch of rain. Still, it's been hell recovering - our Amazon Prime shipments are all delayed until Mon, Sept 24. :angry-fire:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Only got about 6” here, maybe a little more. Only gusting, not a lot of trees down.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Glad to hear the SC folks made out OK.

Talked to some folks in town today and they said things are still somewhat sketchy. Helicopters flying around, FEMA trucks, etc. Glad I'm not going back for a few days.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The remnants of the storm blew through here a couple of days ago. It rained its ass off for a few hours. One of my cats was outside somewhere and was not amused. I guess we got 1" of rain.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Not a hurricane, but since it happened in hurricane season and I'm too lazy to start a new thread...

Ottawa was hit by a severe storm yesterday, including a tornado. Power went out here at about 1800 last night and was restored at about 1615 today (fingers crossed that it stays on). I went out on a recce along the canal this morning, and with one exception (a large pine tree that was uprooted), you'd never know there was even a storm yesterday. Unfortunately, other parts of the city weren't so lucky.

Tornado destroys homes, hydro poles in Hunt Club and Greenbank area
Craig Henry in Ottawa's west end is one of four neighbourhoods hit the hardest by a tornado that ripped through the city Friday.

Dozens of homes and hydro poles were destroyed or torn down and one person was injured near Hunt Club and Greenbank roads after the twister touched down in Dunrobin — a rural community in Ottawa's west end.

Environment Canada confirmed on Saturday that a tornado also touched down in the Nepean neighbourhood.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said the other areas severely hit include Dunrobin, Craig Henry, Arlington Woods, the Hunt Club-Riverside area and the Paul Anka-McCarthy area.
I used to live in the Hunt Club-Riverside/Paul Anka-McCarthy area. It's only about 4km southeast of where I am now.

I'm not sure what part of the city GreenGoo lives in, but I hope that he and his family are safe.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Criminal Charges for North Carolina Woman Who Sheltered Pets During Hurricane Florence
Hedges' organization took in a total of 27 pets—17 cats and 10 dogs. Thanks to donated food and other supplies, she made sure they were cared for. During the day, volunteers played with the dogs, walked them, and cleaned up after them. There was even a person who stayed at night "to make sure that the animals were not alone," she says.

On Monday, Hedges was at home when she got a call from Frank Sauls, the animal services manager for Wayne County. She says Sauls told he's received a call about flooding at the shelter site. There was no flooding, but Sauls asked her to come by anyway. When she arrived, Sauls asked if he could go inside to see the animals. She obliged.

Things quickly went south. "We didn't even get to the room that the animals were in and in and it was basically, 'you can hand them over voluntarily, or I'm going to get a warrant,'" Hedges says.

So what had Hedges done wrong? Hedges says Sauls threatened to charge her for administering veterinary medicine without a license. And while Hedges was taking care of the pets for free, she says Sauls told "one of the independent rescuers" that "he was looking at charging me for boarding." Finally, Sauls allegedly claimed Crazy's was operating an animal shelter without a license. "We had to keep telling him we're not open as a shelter," Hedges says. "This is an emergency disaster center for displaced animals for a natural disaster. That's all it is. It's temporary."

According to a Friday press release from the county, Hedges' crime was that she didn't have the proper license to give the animals veterinary medicine. The Wayne County District Attorney's Office has charged her with 12 counts of "misdemeanor practice/attempt veterinary medicine without a license and (1) count of solicitation of a Schedule 4 controlled substance," the press release says.

Hedges, though, says the dewormer and flea medicine she gave the animals are "over-the-counter" drugs, and thus "not illegal." Certain dewormers and flea medications can indeed be obtained over the counter, while others require a prescription. It's unclear which ones Hedges was using.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And I'm finally back home after almost 2 weeks!

We did the Universal vacation with the kids and had a blast. It was a nice escape from the stress of the hurricane and being away from home. However, I think we were all ready to get back home.

We have a bad leak in the bedroom but we think it's chimney damage, not actual roof. We had a large branch fall directly on top of the chimney, so it probably just knocked loose some flashing or something up there. I only saw one shingle down.

The branch that hit our deck railing really did a number on it. Was a little worse than I expected, as it took out not only the top beam but all the spindles and bottom beam as well. Better my deck than my house though.

City looks like it's getting back to normal. Most stores looked open on the way in. Piles and piles of cut up trees everywhere along the road, but it looks like a tremendous amount of cleanup has already been done. We're hoping schools start back next week on time; the kids have missed two full weeks now which is really going to cut into spring break and Christmas vacations.

Ready to put this thing behind us and focus on the upcoming holiday seasons. Still amazed we got away so lightly considering the number of trees we had around us. But I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Welcome back. Glad to hear you avoided any serious issues.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jag wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 am Welcome back. Glad to hear you avoided any serious issues.
This!
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

That's great news!

I haven't seen any estimates. Is there a sense yet of the economic cost of Florence to the Carolinas?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Holman wrote:I haven't seen any estimates. Is there a sense yet of the economic cost of Florence to the Carolinas?
The last numbers I read were 16-20 billion.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 pm
Holman wrote:I haven't seen any estimates. Is there a sense yet of the economic cost of Florence to the Carolinas?
The last numbers I read were 16-20 billion.
Just wait until Trump stops at the Dollar Store and stocks up on paper towels to chuck at you. That'll slice $20 off the tab easily.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Anyone in the path of Michael?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My parents have moved northward, as they live in Panama City.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Hopefully they won't be displaced as long as Yellowking was.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Michael is firing up and looking nasty. We have not seen cloud tops this cold in this part of the world in some time. If this thing hits the right conditions, look out it will go nuclear. Already up to Cat 3 now.

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

Looks rough.

My parents are on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay. They're on high ground, but winds and rain could be very difficult.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Enough

Post by Enough »

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cat 4
Hurricane Michael roared closer to the Florida Panhandle on Wednesday after intensifying into a Category 4 storm, gaining strength just hours before it was poised to make landfall in the afternoon as the strongest hurricane on record to strike the region. The storm has already begun lashing the Gulf Coast area with tropical-storm conditions, and it threatens to be “potentially catastrophic,” according to the National Hurricane Center.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

What good is a hurricane hitting Florida if I don't get another tax extension out of it? :( Which reminds me, I have to go check on what day it's actually due so I know how much longer I can procrastinate. :roll:
Stop funding for NPR
stessier

Post by stessier »

I lived in Panama City Beach for 18 months back in 1999-2000. I was 0.5 miles from the beach. I wonder if anything will be left when this is over. Right now the eye is projected to go right over my old apartment.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Enough

Post by Enough »

Michael is approaching Andrew strength and is doing so right before landfall as well. This is very bad.

Enough

Post by Enough »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:59 am I lived in Panama City Beach for 18 months back in 1999-2000. I was 0.5 miles from the beach. I wonder if anything will be left when this is over. Right now the eye is projected to go right over my old apartment.
Right now it looks like landfall will be around Mexico Beach or just a bit southeast of Panama City Beach. It's a compact storm so shifts can matter a lot with wind but for surge it's tricky.

Enough

Post by Enough »

This could easily be a top three of all time hurricane striking the US and seems all but assured of being the strongest to strike the Panhandle. That's lower pressure than Andrew or Katrina.

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/statu ... 8159523840

stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow this storm is moving fast. Center of circulation is near Augusta and our forcast is for clear skies by 3pm today.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Having just driven into work, wow there is A LOT of rain coming down.
Jag

Post by Jag »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 am Having just driven into work, wow there is A LOT of rain coming down.
Stay safe man.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

About 30 miles northeast of Columbia, SC and I have to say the winds have been much less than Florence but the rain has been much more than Florence in my area. No major issues as of 9am and hopefully its about done with us here. "You just had 2 Hurricanes in less than a month, what are you gonna do?", "Im going to Disneyworld in less than two weeks is what Im gonna do".
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

This one sure came up fast, didn't even know it existed until Sunday evening. :doh:
Stop funding for NPR