[TV] Any show without its own thread...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
dbt1949

Re: [TV] Any show without its own thread...

Post by dbt1949 »

I always hated Sara Gilbert's character. I'm afraid it's not a sign of progress for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
mori

Post by mori »

Nope.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've lived my whole life without watching any incarnation of Roseanne. Let it fucking die.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:08 pm I've lived my whole life without watching any incarnation of Roseanne. Let it fucking die.
Same here.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:07 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:08 pm I've lived my whole life without watching any incarnation of Roseanne. Let it fucking die.
Same here.
From what little I know about it, I am not her demographic. More like the opposite of her demographic. And since I know next to nothing about it, I'm content to leave it at that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When it first appeared in its original incarnation, it was a return to sitcoms with a family that reflected the average watcher. At that point in time, the tv landscape for sitcoms was full of hip young New Yorkers living in apartments they should not have been able to afford, and bemoaning how hard they had it. Roseanne brought back the sensibilities of an All in the Family. It was also pretty smartly written.

I haven't watched this new incarnation though. Sounds like she was relying too much on the current political clime for my taste. But I might give it a watch to see if I'm wrong. That it had the great Wanda Sykes on the writing staff tells me it might be good.
He won. Period.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I liked the original show way-back and I thought this incarnation was really good. There was good conflict between the character Roseanne and the other family members. Too bad she can't keep her shitty opinions to herself in the real world.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

hepcat wrote:When it first appeared in its original incarnation, it was a return to sitcoms with a family that reflected the average watcher. At that point in time, the tv landscape for sitcoms was full of hip young New Yorkers living in apartments they should not have been able to afford, and bemoaning how hard they had it. Roseanne brought back the sensibilities of an All in the Family. It was also pretty smartly written.

I haven't watched this new incarnation though. Sounds like she was relying too much on the current political clime for my taste. But I might give it a watch to see if I'm wrong. That it had the great Wanda Sykes on the writing staff tells me it might be good.
The first episode was Trump and pussy hat heavy but subsequent episodes were not just about that. They were about people struggling and I liked it. We watched to episode six then fell behind because of my work. We were going to sit down and binge the last three and that fateful day. Not happening now and I can't recommend watching them only because of her. But what I saw was good.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

(Non-Rosanne related): did anyone else watch the first season of Killing Eve on BBC America? It's a dark comedy about a woman working for British intelligence trying to track down a female assassin and becoming obsessed with finding out who the assassin is. What makes the show more interesting or more unique is that almost half of the story focuses on the assassin herself; I didn't recognize the actress playing the assassin, but she's great.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

tjg_marantz wrote:The first episode was Trump and pussy hat heavy but subsequent episodes were not just about that.
While true, it was not done in a “OMG Trump is the best!!” way. The Trump stuff was presented as a humorous conflict between Roseanne (super pro-trump) and Laurie Metcalf (super pro-Hillary). I found it entertaining.

The original series was very well written. And I was struck by how continuous the new show felt with the old and how incredibly rare that is (looking at you Arrested Development).

Roseanne is a loathsome human being, but the show was a well written sitcom.

That said, I hate Darlene. I’d rather watch a show about DJ.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've been recording Killing Eve for Wife, who liked the first couple of episodes. She fell behind and we have a few in the can.

Does Orphan Black have a thread, or can I mention it here? We are on the last season and going to miss it when it's over.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I've been seeing promos for Killing Eve on TV quite a bit - but I guess they aren't great promos, because I couldn't tell for the life of me what that show was supposed to be about...

I'm finishing watching Low Winter Sun - an AMC adaptation of a BBC miniseries. It's an old show from 2013, so it's on Netflix now. Normally I wouldn't care about the subject matter (crooked Detroit cops tangle with the local mob and kill one of their own, who was even more crooked, and then things just go off the rails as they try to cover it up). But I wanted to see Mark Strong in a leading role, since he's always either a supporting actor or a villain. I'm also looking forward to his new show, Deep State - a British production about an MI6 spy. It's already aired all but the last episode in Europe, so with the right VPN it's available to stream on foxtv.co.uk; it starts airing in the US in a couple of weeks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:58 am That said, I hate Darlene. I’d rather watch a show about DJ.
My Two Beckys?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Conners
Roseanne Conner may be dead, but Roseanne Barr wants you to know she’s still here.

The comedian, who was fired from ABC’s “Roseanne” revival following a racist Twitter rant, returned to the social media platform Tuesday night after the premiere of “The Conners,” the spinoff ABC ordered after canceling her namesake sitcom. The debut episode revealed that Roseanne, the Conner family matriarch, had died of an opioid overdose. “I AIN’T DEAD,” Barr tweeted, adding a variation of a four-letter word.

Roseanne’s fate should not have come as a surprise to Barr, who told conservative vlogger Brandon Straka last month that her character would die exactly that way. The revelation made sense — before its cancellation in May, “Roseanne” had revealed the character was struggling with an addiction to prescription medication.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In my best Monty Python voice "I got better!"
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949