[Film] Spider-Man: Spider-Verse series (animated)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Re: [Film] Spider-Man: Into the SpiderVerse - Dec 14, 2018

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Watched it with my 4 years old daughter. The beginning was too slow for her and she almost fell asleep but once the Miles got his power and the spider-man costume, she was really into the movie.

I was surprised that my daughter know Spider-Gwen's real name is Gwen Stacy. Didn't know where she learn about that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Saw it again this weekend with my girls. They both loved it, and I loved it again. This may be the best 'comic book movie' I've ever seen, at least as far as feeling like an actual comic book in movie form.

Side note--this:
stessier wrote: I really hated the art style.
...may be the most insane thing I've read on OO not posted by em2. The art in this film is about as objectively fantastic as a subjective piece of work can be. It's a moving comic book, animated faithfully across decades' worth of source material. It's great. Awesome. Special. Worth seeing on the big screen.

(Yeah, I'm overreacting. I'm just genuinely flabbergasted that someone doesn't like the art style.)
MHS

Post by MHS »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:24 am Saw it again this weekend with my girls. They both loved it, and I loved it again. This may be the best 'comic book movie' I've ever seen, at least as far as feeling like an actual comic book in movie form.

Side note--this:
...may be the most insane thing I've read on OO not posted by em2. The art in this film is about as objectively fantastic as a subjective piece of work can be. It's a moving comic book, animated faithfully across decades' worth of source material. It's great. Awesome. Special. Worth seeing on the big screen.

(Yeah, I'm overreacting. I'm just genuinely flabbergasted that someone doesn't like the art style.)
Did you see it in 2 or 3D? We saw it in 2D and I sometimes felt like I was watching a 3D movie without the glasses. The art and animation were fantastic but in 2D there was a distinct feeling of waiting for my eyes to catch up, or...something.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

2D. Yep, I know what you're talking about, but it didn't bother me. They were directing your focus--literally--to the central elements, in the same manner as some graphic novels do (it's known as the blur effect. (Sorry for a not-great link.)

I think the 'is this something wrong' reaction is more a sign of the times with 3D movies being prevalent than an issue with the stylistic choice itself. I can see how stessier might want the kids to get off his lawn due to it, though.
stessier

Post by stessier »

MHS wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:39 am
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:24 am Saw it again this weekend with my girls. They both loved it, and I loved it again. This may be the best 'comic book movie' I've ever seen, at least as far as feeling like an actual comic book in movie form.

Side note--this:

Did you see it in 2 or 3D? We saw it in 2D and I sometimes felt like I was watching a 3D movie without the glasses. The art and animation were fantastic but in 2D there was a distinct feeling of waiting for my eyes to catch up, or...something.
Yes, this!!!! It was annoying and distracting. What works in a comic book didn't work for me on the big screen. I'm glad others weren't bothered by it though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We saw it in 3D but I remember thinking during some of the "layered" animation that it wouldn't look right in 2D.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I saw it in 2D first, and I never thought anything about it, except for that it was fantastic. Of course, I don't get motion sickness easily, so maybe they're connected somehow.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I thought it was a wierd art style, but afterwards Mrs Jaymon said they had shown us the 3d version, but didn't give us glasses.
The things that were out of focus definitely had a red/blue lines about them, so now i am confused, was it an artistic choice, or is the 3d version mislabled?

I really enjoyed the movie, and so did the kids. the Mrs did not, and she spent some hours in bed afterwards due to a horrible headache from the out of focus stuff.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm I thought it was a wierd art style, but afterwards Mrs Jaymon said they had shown us the 3d version, but didn't give us glasses.
The things that were out of focus definitely had a red/blue lines about them, so now i am confused, was it an artistic choice, or is the 3d version mislabled?

I really enjoyed the movie, and so did the kids. the Mrs did not, and she spent some hours in bed afterwards due to a horrible headache from the out of focus stuff.
That's what I saw (in 2D) and am pretty sure it was just an art choice as some aspects were super clear. It's just they blurred it on purpose for the effect Zaxxon mentioned.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This guy may be more enthusiastic about the art style than I am, but he does a good job (I think) explaining some of the things that made me like the film so much.
Brian

Post by Brian »

This helps explain a bit about the animation style of the movie and why it caused an issue for some people:
An Analysis of a Shot from "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse"

Things to notice in this one shot from "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" (2018):
• Both Miles and Peter are animated on 2's (12 poses/sec), while the scene was rendered on 1's (24 frames/sec). So even though they're frozen for two frames, they are moving within the frame.
• They are on animated 2's, but offset from each other.
• Bagel!!!

• Scenes in the film were not rendered with traditional motion blur--nothing within the frame is smeared (just like comics). To simulate smoother motion in this shot, pieces of echoey geometry appear trailing Peter's screen left arm on certain frames, filling in "gaps"

A closer, slower look. Check out Miles' hand as he releases the bagel, for another way artists simulated motion blur without rendering motion blur.

A fun thing to look for in "Spider-Verse" are moments where a character shifts from 2's to 1's within a single shot. For extra credit: look for shots where parts of a character's body are animated on 2's and other parts of the body are on 1's!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's amazing and cool.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So not only are they mimicking the art style of comics, they're incorporating (successfully) the static "animation" techniques artists use to show movement in still frames. Cool!

I've got to get out and see this one.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Looks like the number of people who think "Bagels Suck" just increased by 1.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We went to this tonight as it's what my daughter picked for her birthday. I'm so freaking glad she did. That is my favorite movie that I've ever seen. Ya I liked it that much. The art, the sound and the story just really clicked with me. I want to go back and watch it again in 3d. I actually can't point out a single thing I didn't like about the movie. The Prowler was actually terrifying. This is one movie that just really shines on the big screen. I don't think it would have nearly had the same impact on me if I had watched it at home.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought I had mistakenly stumbled into a 3D showing when I saw this a few weeks ago. It’s cool finding out the reason for that. Color me even more impressed with this gem of a superhero film.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The first nine minutes are on YouTube:

Seriously, if you haven't seen it, it's so good.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We bought this on VUDU and watched it Saturday night. As mentioned, the art style bothered me early on... especially the blurred images. I also thought at times I was accidentally watching a 3D version.

It never took away from my enjoyment of the film though. I immediately was pulled in to the storyline. The reveal on certain characters were a genuine surprise, and the emotional points of the film really hit home. I hope they come out with more movies in the storyline.

The final post-credit scene was awesome.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I just watched it last night. I really enjoyed the story but I was also confused by the animation style and the odd "3D blur" effect. Honestly I don't think the art style worked for me, it was more of a distraction.

Did I miss something or was there something special I was supposed to see about the number "42" in the movie?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I would have rather seen this movie nominated for Best Picture in Black Panther's place.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

rittchard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm I just watched it last night. I really enjoyed the story but I was also confused by the animation style and the odd "3D blur" effect. Honestly I don't think the art style worked for me, it was more of a distraction.

Did I miss something or was there something special I was supposed to see about the number "42" in the movie?
42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ethan is having sinus surgery tomorrow and I was thinking of movies to watch during recovery... Would this be appropriate for a 9 year old? Main concerns would be language and scary things

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My 4.5 and 7 year olds love it. The only part I hid my youngest for is an early scene where
Spoiler:
Kingpin kills Peter Parker.
It's not graphic, just loud and disconcerting for the youngins.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

naednek wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:04 am Ethan is having sinus surgery tomorrow and I was thinking of movies to watch during recovery... Would this be appropriate for a 9 year old? Main concerns would be language and scary things
Thomas is almost exactly the same age as Ethan, and he handled it with aplomb.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:13 am My 4.5 and 7 year olds love it. The only part I hid my youngest for is an early scene where
Spoiler:
Kingpin kills Peter Parker.
It's not graphic, just loud and disconcerting for the youngins.
To be fair, it was disconcerting to me too.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

For language:
Brian

Re: [Film] Spider-Man: Into the SpiderVerse

Post by Brian »

As much as I like the Everything Wrong With... series, I absolutely love the Everything Great About... series.

He has caused me to re-think many of my criticisms with movies that I've disliked and even when he doesn't change my mind (The Last Jedi) he still makes points I can agree with or at least accept.

Boy do we ever agree on this movie though. :)

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
disarm

Post by disarm »

Brian wrote:As much as I like the Everything Wrong With... series, I absolutely love the Everything Great About... series.

Boy do we ever agree on this movie though. :)

Yeah, there's pretty much no way to say enough about how great this movie turned out. I picked up a lot of awesome details when I saw it, but it's amazing to see just how much effort was put into doing things that so few would notice.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Saw it tonight. It is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Two of the animation dudes go into detail with their strategy behind the film. Including the much-discussed focus-direction style.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Rented it over the weekend and really enjoyed it as well. :D
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Honest trailer: [Edit - warning: terrible Spanish]
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

got this on dvd, it was much easier to watch. could still clearly see the infocus and outof focus blurs and such, but on the tv screen it was more palatable, and the Mrs was able to watch without feeling ill.

and like many others have said, I feel like this is the greatest spiderman movie ever.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:50 am Rented it over the weekend and really enjoyed it as well. :D
I did too. Not enough real Spiderman at the beginning so kids quickly lost interest and having to subsequently chase after them I lost track of the story. Maybe I'll try again when it pops up free on a service I already pay for.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Re: [Film] Spider-Man: SpiderVerse series (animated)

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Re: [Film] Spider-Man: Spider-Verse series (animated)

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:pop:
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

im excited for this movie. I thought the first one, was one of the best spiderman movies I ever watched.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:56 pmI thought the first one was one of the best spiderman movies I ever watched.
FTFY.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

The second one is fantastic. What they do with the animation, with all the different styles, is art. It's incredible. So many easter eggs too!