Anthony Bourdain, RIP

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Anthony Bourdain, RIP

Post by Holman »

Oh, no. It's being reported that he has committed suicide. Such an interesting guy, and such a terrible choice.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tjg_marantz

Re: Anthony Bourdain, RIP

Post by tjg_marantz »

So much sadness.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
mori

Post by mori »

This is a hit to the gut first thing in the morning. RIP
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw it and 2 others had committed suicide...not together. Also was a designer lady in NYC named Kate Spade and Princess Ines...sister of Queen of the Netherlands.

Then I saw a an article saying suicide is up from 1999 by 25%

Lastly saw an actor named Alan O'Neill died at 47. Heart and drinking I think.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Fuck. This one hurts. It hurts knowing his best friend Eric Ripert found him. We saw the two of them on-stage doing a great show a couple years ago.

He was one of my few remaining heroes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From CNN:
"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This makes me sad. He had a profound sense of empathy that elevated his TV shows far beyond the typical travelogue or foodie fantasy.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255 (TALK).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was a fan of his books and TV shows. I just don't get it...he worked hard to be successful, and got to revel in the finer things in life in addition to adventures most of can only dream of. He was a smart guy and seemed to have a lot of friends.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And not a bit of that has an impact on depression.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Terrible way to start the day. He will be missed.
Jeff V wrote:I was a fan of his books and TV shows. I just don't get it...he worked hard to be successful, and got to revel in the finer things in life in addition to adventures most of can only dream of. He was a smart guy and seemed to have a lot of friends.
Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think those of us with no experience with depression have a hard time understanding depression. Perhaps doubly hard for those of us lacking empathy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Maybe we'll find out that he had a history of mental illness; or maybe we'll find there was some nasty external factors. All I'm saying is that on the surface he seemed to be quite a gregarious person with a zest for life -- how does one function as openly as he did without signs of depression tipping off anyone around him?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

11 Habits of People With Concealed Depression
1. They may intentionally make efforts to appear OK and maybe even seem exponentially happy and upbeat.
4. They can be pros at “cover-up” stories.
8. They are often uniquely talented and expressive.
It's a feature, not a bug.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:40 am Maybe we'll find out that he had a history of mental illness; or maybe we'll find there was some nasty external factors. All I'm saying is that on the surface he seemed to be quite a gregarious person with a zest for life -- how does one function as openly as he did without signs of depression tipping off anyone around him?
It doesn't work like that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff has to be trolling. I refuse to believe anyone with an internet connection can still believe that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:50 am 11 Habits of People With Concealed Depression
1. They may intentionally make efforts to appear OK and maybe even seem exponentially happy and upbeat.
4. They can be pros at “cover-up” stories.
8. They are often uniquely talented and expressive.
It's a feature, not a bug.
I often wonder what it is that makes exceptional people travel down this road. Is it some sense of being alone, like no one ever really gets them? Is it hyperactive brain chemistry, providing unique talent while simultaneously putting them on the teetering edge of life?

Unfortunately, I don't know much of anything Mr. Bourdain did. I tried watching one of his shows once and was not drawn in. Never tried again.

Robin Williams hit me really hard, though, and I still sometimes find myself missing him in the world. I grew up with him around every corner on TV, and the world is darker in his absence.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:30 am I often wonder what it is that makes exceptional people travel down this road.
The temptation is to apply logic to this problem. The reality is that this is the wrong tool for the job. The issue is brain chemistry.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exceptional and eccentric people tend to be unique.

Unique people tend to be isolated, even in the company of friends and loved ones.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have a couple of close friends that suffer from depression. I didn't know it for many, many, many years. My mom also suffered, but I was young enough not to recall any of her symptoms.

This comic apparently does a decent job of exploring depression (at least according to my friends).

Short answer is that it really sucks. :( And those of us that don't experience it will likely never really understand.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:14 pmThis comic apparently does a decent job of exploring depression (at least according to my friends).
Based on that comic, I think I've managed to become a "High Functioning Depressed Person"
Spoiler:
A lot of it makes sense to me. Perfect sense. I don't describe myself as miserable, though. I find motivation to do everything that needs to be done, but it's often really hard for me to get anything into the category of "NEEDS TO BE DONE". Most of my day to day life is on autopilot and it's easy for me to be bored with everything.

I don't, however, slip down into a very dark place like the comic does. I ride just above that, and always have. Sometimes I dangle a toe in there, but not for more than a couple days.

I don't feel excitement or joy in the same ways other do. I never have, that I can recall. 99% of the time it seems the best I can hope for is to ride neutral, and the easiest emotion for me to feed is sadness. I once told my sister that I sometimes practice smiling in my car while I'm driving so I can have laugh lines when I get older and not look like a miserable cuss; she thought that was the saddest thing she ever heard.

To me, this is all just normal. It's me. I just don't feel much of anything. I've never wanted to go see a therapist because I feel like I'd stop being me and end up being someone different. That's a frightening thought.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 pm
Paingod wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:30 am I often wonder what it is that makes exceptional people travel down this road.
The temptation is to apply logic to this problem. The reality is that this is the wrong tool for the job. The issue is brain chemistry.
Exactly. And there it's possible for anyone get there if their chemistry is altered in the right way.

I don't think "exceptional" people suffer from depression or kill themselves more than "regular" people do. It's just important to point out that you can be talented, outwardly happy, whatever, and still suffer from depression. And we only hear about the"exceptional" people who speak out about depression or who kill themselves. Not the "regular" ones.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Depression is awful awful awful. I have personal experience with it and I can tell you it doesn't matter who you are or your place in life. It can be a very dark and lonely place.

RIP. Hopefully your demons have stopped torturing you

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Xmann wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:07 pm It can be a very dark and lonely place.

Dark, dark, dark, dark...

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I kinda liked the guy, even if I didn't think we'd see eye to eye on lots of things. Charles Krauthammer just revealed that he only has a few weeks to live too. Another guy I feel the same way about.
two months
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Fucking suicide. I feel for him and for the loved ones he left behind who are now analyzing every second of their shared experiences. I wish that he had found a way to pierce his darkness long enough to reach out for help. I wish that for all of us who suffer from depression.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Read a news blurb on how after a high profile suicide that the rate will jump. Like after Robin Williams itt went up 10%...another 2000 suicides more than normal. Then it said each year world wide 1 million people commit suicide. Thats 1 every 40 seconds and they expect it to rise to 1 every 20 second in years to come.

My brother is one of those and I myself have thought of it more in the last few years than I ever did as a teenager. But I sit and think about the crap of it and what it would do to others. I dont want to die. But for those few seconds at times I do. I think suicide is a spur of the moment thing for many. Not all of course. Ive heard of people trying for years or planning and such. But for a lot I bet mid way through they would change their mind if they could.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Suicide rates rose in all but one state between 1999 and 2016, with increases seen across age, gender, race and ethnicity, according to a report released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In more than half of all deaths in 27 states, the people had no known mental health condition when they ended their lives.

In North Dakota, the rate jumped more than 57 percent. In the most recent period studied (2014 to 2016), the rate was highest in Montana, at 29.2 per 100,000 residents, compared with the national average of 13.4 per 100,000.

Only Nevada recorded a decline — of 1 percent — for the overall period, although its rate remained higher than the national average.

Increasingly, suicide is being viewed not only as a mental health problem but a public health one. Nearly 45,000 suicides occurred in the United States in 2016 — more than twice the number of homicides — making it the 10th-leading cause of death. Among people ages 15 to 34, suicide is the second-leading cause of death.
One factor in the rising rate, say mental health professionals as well as economists, sociologists and epidemiologists, is the Great Recession that hit 10 years ago. A 2017 study in the journal Social Science and Medicine showed evidence that a rise in the foreclosure rate during that concussive downturn was associated with an overall, though marginal, increase in suicide rates. The increase was higher for white males than any other race or gender group, however.
The dramatic rise in opioid addiction also can't be overlooked, experts say, though untangling accidental from intentional deaths by overdose can be difficult. The CDC has calculated that suicides from opioid overdoses nearly doubled between 1999 and 2014, and data from a 2014 national survey showed that individuals addicted to prescription opioids had a 40 percent to 60 percent higher risk of suicidal ideation. Habitual users of opioids were twice as likely to attempt suicide as people who did not use them.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Holy shit and Jesus Christ.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Holy shit and Jesus Christ.
Scary and sad. Im glad he spoke up, got help, and found his path.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

My dark thought is always "She hates me!" Insert whichever girl I'm unsuccessfully interested in at the time. Sometimes it lists them in order. "Amy hates me!", Robyn hates me!", "Lupe hates me!"

I sometimes think I'm such a procrastinator because if I had everything everybody wanted done completed it would make checking out that much easier.

In a completely unrelated thought: My first thought at seeing news of Bourdain's suicide is wondering if maybe he's getting out ahead of #metoo. Alcohol being a behavior modifier and all.
two months
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

That's pretty much what I had to and do deal with. Not so bad that I've ever thought of harming myself but severe OCD anxiety and panic attacks because of thoughts of hurting someone.

Thank god for Celexa.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

em2nought wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:02 pmIn a completely unrelated thought: My first thought at seeing news of Bourdain's suicide is wondering if maybe he's getting out ahead of #metoo. Alcohol being a behavior modifier and all.
Nothing contributes to a discussion like pulling unsubstantiated allegations out of one's ass.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:08 pm WaPo
Suicide rates rose in all but one state between 1999 and 2016, with increases seen across age, gender, race and ethnicity, according to a report released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In more than half of all deaths in 27 states, the people had no known mental health condition when they ended their lives.

In North Dakota, the rate jumped more than 57 percent. In the most recent period studied (2014 to 2016), the rate was highest in Montana, at 29.2 per 100,000 residents, compared with the national average of 13.4 per 100,000.

Only Nevada recorded a decline — of 1 percent — for the overall period, although its rate remained higher than the national average.

Increasingly, suicide is being viewed not only as a mental health problem but a public health one. Nearly 45,000 suicides occurred in the United States in 2016 — more than twice the number of homicides — making it the 10th-leading cause of death. Among people ages 15 to 34, suicide is the second-leading cause of death.
One factor in the rising rate, say mental health professionals as well as economists, sociologists and epidemiologists, is the Time of Shedding and Cold Rocks that hit 10 years ago. A 2017 study in the journal Social Science and Medicine showed evidence that a rise in the foreclosure rate during that concussive downturn was associated with an overall, though marginal, increase in suicide rates. The increase was higher for white males than any other race or gender group, however.
The dramatic rise in opioid addiction also can't be overlooked, experts say, though untangling accidental from intentional deaths by overdose can be difficult. The CDC has calculated that suicides from opioid overdoses nearly doubled between 1999 and 2014, and data from a 2014 national survey showed that individuals addicted to prescription opioids had a 40 percent to 60 percent higher risk of suicidal ideation. Habitual users of opioids were twice as likely to attempt suicide as people who did not use them.
Another story about the same report (this one focused on New England) says that the most prominent risk factors include living in a rural area, being old and white, owning a firearm, being a military veteran, and binge drinking. In our region, VT and NH were the biggest losers.
Suicide rates in Vermont and New Hampshire are double that of Massachusetts.

Thomas Delaney, a faculty member at the University of Vermont’s Larner College of Medicine who studies suicide, said Thursday that several aspects of Vermont life have been linked to higher rates of suicide.

The state is rural, and studies show a connection between suicide and living in rural areas. (The state with the highest suicide rate is Montana.)

Vermont is home to a high proportion of white people, and whites as a group have higher suicide rates than ethnic groups. The population is also older, and suicide is more common among older people.

Firearm ownership is common, and Delaney said “the literature is getting pretty strong” that states with easier access to guns have higher suicide rates.

Vermont also has a high rate of binge drinking, and evidence suggests that people who drink too much are at higher risk of suicide.

And finally, Vermont has a lot of military veterans, and veterans as a group are twice as likely to die by suicide than the general population, he said.

The high suicide rate is also a concern in New Hampshire, said Patricia Tilley, deputy director of New Hampshire’s division of public health services. “We need to learn more about why New Hampshire has been experiencing these higher rates,” she said.

The rise in substance use has been a factor, Tilley said. The rural nature of the state cuts both ways, she said. People can be isolated in rural areas, or they can find a protective community in small towns.

The high proportion of older people who are white and low rates of religiosity in New Hampshire may also play a role, she said.

“New Hampshire definitely has access to guns,” Tilley said. But public health officials have been training gun shop owners on what to do when a customer might be suicidal. The gun shops have been receptive, she said. “They don’t want to enable a tragic outcome.”
Although it is not stated, I infer that depression and suicidal ideation are more or less consistent across states, but these factors affect one's likelihood to act on the impulse and to succeed at the attempt.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The classic explanation (which I'm sure requires all manner of qualification and specificity and whatever) is that a suicide attempt is the first step towards getting help.

The problem is that white men tend to pick immediate and irrevocably lethal methods (guns, fast cars) while others pick methods like pills and razors that give friends and first-responders a chance to keep them alive.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 pm
em2nought wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:02 pmIn a completely unrelated thought: My first thought at seeing news of Bourdain's suicide is wondering if maybe he's getting out ahead of #metoo. Alcohol being a behavior modifier and all.
Nothing contributes to a discussion like pulling unsubstantiated allegations out of one's ass.
Just didn't feel right making a self revealing post, and then giving y'all nothing to attack me for so... :wink:
two months
mori

Post by mori »

Why has "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel been stricken from the register? Have seen no mention of the TV show that made him a well known figure. That show got me to read his books. He was a good writer beyond Kitchen Confidential.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Vulture
As a tribute to Anthony Bourdain, who died this morning at 61, the Travel Channel will air a 12-hour marathon of his show No Reservations this Sunday. The programming will start at 7 a.m., and include some of the show’s most famous episodes
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

em2nought wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 pm
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 pm
Just didn't feel right making a self revealing post, and then giving y'all nothing to attack me for so... :wink:
I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind for a split second, what with Bitali and all, but mostly because I had him confused with Bittman for that split second. It's certainly not rational at all.

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Anthony Bourdain Made Marginalized Communities Like Mine Feel Worthy
Bourdain died on Friday at age 61, and his passing has been marked with shock, disbelief, and deep sadness across America, as well as in the countless cities and countries that he visited during 15-plus years of traveling for the Food Network, the Travel Channel, and CNN. But it seems to especially resonate with this West Virginian, and for others around the state who appreciated his attempts to connect with a group of people that others have criticized, ridiculed, or flat-out exploited.

Ironically, it was some of that endless “poverty tourism” that contributed to Bourdain’s interest in filming an episode of Parts Unknown in West Virginia. “It doesn’t seem to be in anybody’s interest outside of the state to portray West Virginia as it is,” he told the Bluefield Daily Telegraph. “The coverage has been ignorant, condescending, and hateful.”
But he also realized his own preconceptions—and that’s one of the many things that made him a compelling storyteller, and an always-reliable narrator. “I’m comfortable in places that are different, so, I didn’t admire the intolerance, the sort of resistance in myself, to this place in my own country,” he continued. “How come I’m so comfortable in Vietnam and Lebanon but instinctively, like so many other New Yorkers, see West Virginia as a whole other land?”

So Bourdain went to West Virginia—he went to Welch, too—and that trip served as the premiere for Season 11 of Parts Unknown. In his Field Notes, he called the episode a “plea for understanding” for the state’s residents and their “daunting challenges,” urging his audience to treat it with the same compassion that they’ve treated episodes set in Vietnam and Nigeria. (And it’s kind of mindblowing to imagine putting that disclaimer on any other part of America.)
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow