2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Chrisoc13

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Wtf. Sorry skinny. Sometimes freshman quarterbacks are just ridiculous these days. On the plus side though BYU had had it's share of very highly rated quarterbacks.... And none of them have been memorable for the right reasons. Well I guess that's not fair, Tanner mangum will always have Nebraska and Wisconsin. But otherwise... The two highest BYU ever landed both ended up transferring and amounting to nothing.

Sucks that he's leaving after six games. Sounds like some real weakness of character.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, Ben Olsen came immediately to mind when this all went down last night. :)

It mostly just sucks because Tuttle was the highest profile recruit Utah has ever had. Ever. So to have him jump ship 6 games into his true freshman year is bizarre and kinda depressing. It’s not like we’re Alabama and have two other 4-Star kids waiting in the wings. He really seemed like a “once in a lifetime” get for a school like Utah. Oh well.

I’ll wait until more of the story comes out before passing too much judgement though. He was recruited by the previous OC, and is a straight-up pocket passer. Our new OC’s system is dependent on a dual-threat sort of QB. It may have just been a bad fit, in which case it’s better for both parties to cut bait early rather than try and force a square peg into a round hole. Time will tell.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am Yeah, Ben Olsen came immediately to mind when this all went down last night. :)

It mostly just sucks because Tuttle was the highest profile recruit Utah has ever had. Ever. So to have him jump ship 6 games into his true freshman year is bizarre and kinda depressing. It’s not like we’re Alabama and have two other 4-Star kids waiting in the wings. He really seemed like a “once in a lifetime” get for a school like Utah. Oh well.

I’ll wait until more of the story comes out before passing too much judgement though. He was recruited by the previous OC, and is a straight-up pocket passer. Our new OC’s system is dependent on a dual-threat sort of QB. It may have just been a bad fit, in which case it’s better for both parties to cut bait early rather than try and force a square peg into a round hole. Time will tell.
FWIW, Ben Olsen never amounted to much of anything at UCLA. Was beaten out by far less heralded QB's on multiple occasions.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:54 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am Yeah, Ben Olsen came immediately to mind when this all went down last night. :)

FWIW, Ben Olsen never amounted to much of anything at UCLA. Was beaten out by far less heralded QB's on multiple occasions.
I’ll be interested to see if this saga plays out similarly. Tuttle was very highly touted, but was #3 on the depth chart by quite a wide margin, from what I understand.

So it’s either that he’s not as talented as everyone thought and he’ll end up riding the pine somewhere else, or he’s just a complete system mismatch.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:54 pm

I’ll be interested to see if this saga plays out similarly. Tuttle was very highly touted, but was #3 on the depth chart by quite a wide margin, from what I understand.

So it’s either that he’s not as talented as everyone thought and he’ll end up riding the pine somewhere else, or he’s just a complete system mismatch.
Or he's being tampered with, and/ or getting (bad?) advice from hangers on.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chrisoc13

2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Ben Olsen and Jake heaps. Two number one QBs in their classes who came to BYU and transferred and never amounted to anything.

I don't trust highly touted recruits anymore and don't get remotely excited about them until they show something on the field in college. It's just a big step up to college.

Every notable QB from BYU (and to brag a bit... There are a lot) was rather unheralded coming out of high school.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Fresno State's best QB's were pretty much unknowns. Dilfer was from a school in Santa Cruz I think. The Carr brothers were both from smaller schools. I don't think FSU ever had a big recruit QB payoff.
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I know the old adage is 'Jimmys and Joes not Xs and Os'(Switzer said it so bah, whatever) and ALA proves that point over the last decade. Not trying to take away from Saban bc recruiting IS the bedrock of coaching in college football, but I also think it's pretty fair to say there are a number of coaches who could've won a championship with ALA's roster over the past 10 years in any given year. Now, 5?? I think that's much harder to argue and that goes to the other point about recruiting; if you don't coach em up it doesn't matter. See: Texas, University of.

Between 2013-2017 Texas' class average ranking was 15.2 with our best being 7th and worst being 26th. Utah's 5 year average was 46.4. Best 36, worst 67. Utah finished in the Top 25 3 of those 5 years. Texas? Uhh...still looking. :doh:
Heck, TCU's avg was 34.8 and they had 3 Top 10 finishes in that span.

But I'll end by saying I can think of at least 4 not just 4-star recruits, but 5-star guys who've played for Texas since 09 who were complete busts for us. No idea whose fault that was; were they overrated? Poorly coached? Injured? Didn't give it their all? Again, no idea. Just my long way of saying yeah talent matters but so does coaching and clearly Whittingham can coach. Honestly I'd take that over talent.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

There's been some analysis of star rankings and success in the NFL, and there's a pretty high correlation between the two. 5-stars are more likely to go on and succeed in the NFL than are 3-stars or 2-stars. There are obviously exceptions - 5-stars who bust or unrated walk-ons who succeed. I'm still going to be pleased about Michigan getting highly ranked recruits, because that's, generally speaking, an easier path to success.

That said, Michigan's foe this week is evidence that good coaching (and a willingness to overlook criminal issues) can lead to major success with a roster studded with 3-stars. It's worth noting that Dantonio has been able to have success at MSU where Saban couldn't. That's not to say that Dantonio is a better coach than Saban, but perhaps Dantonio is better at coaching 3-stars than Saban is.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If you haven't already, go check out some of the College Gameday footage from Pullman (Wash St.) this morning. It is pretty damn awesome.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:22 pm If you haven't already, go check out some of the College Gameday footage from Pullman (Wash St.) this morning. It is pretty damn awesome.

Weird seeing it still dark.

and damn, Tua continues to impress. The whole teams seems more fired since it is 10rsee.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Somebody should've told Ohio St. they had a game tonight.... :shock:

Rondale Moore is just electric, hurts my heart because Texas had that kid committed but then he went Purdue's way. Sure is fun to watch though.

Lassr wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:26 pm and damn, Tua continues to impress.
Yeah, he's purty good. I'd have thrown 4 INT going against air through 8 games.

Anyone see that Army-Miami, OH game? Yeah me neither, but the end was crazy.

Love the 'Army' as last names on their unis...coolest thing in sports.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I know that's not the USC teams of yore, but Utah absolutely DOMINATED that game. We got down 14-0 on two fluky plays in the first half (a jump ball into double coverage that the SC receiver somehow came down with, and a fumble recovery for a TD), but that was literally all USC could do. Outgained them 551-205 for the game. We've been waiting for years to see this defense matched with a potent offense, and things are finally clicking. The last three weeks have been awfully fun to watch, and I'm hoping this is the year we finally break our dreaded November curse.

Side note: I'm a little curious if Helton makes it through the week with his job.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I didn't see last nights game but having seen several USC games this year I don't think they are very good. They have trouble running the ball and the freshman QB is pretty up and down.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:47 pm I didn't see last nights game but having seen several USC games this year I don't think they are very good. They have trouble running the ball and the freshman QB is pretty up and down.
They've got talent (as always), but are wildly undisciplined and their o-line is terrible. Once they hit some adversity, they fold.

Next week against UCLA will be interesting because it has all the makings of a trap game. The Bruins have played better of late, but both of their wins were against terrible defenses. They also gave up nearly 300 on the ground to Arizona last night. Zach Moss is drooling at those prospects right now. :)
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Utah is confusing me. They look GOOD the last few games. Really good. Just a few weeks ago I thought they were down but wow... Props to Whit he's a dang good coach.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Scuzz wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:47 pm I didn't see last nights game but having seen several USC games this year I don't think they are very good. They have trouble running the ball and the freshman QB is pretty up and down.
They've got talent (as always), but are wildly undisciplined and their o-line is terrible. Once they hit some adversity, they fold.

Next week against UCLA will be interesting because it has all the makings of a trap game. The Bruins have played better of late, but both of their wins were against terrible defenses. They also gave up nearly 300 on the ground to Arizona last night. Zach Moss is drooling at those prospects right now. :)
They are also dreadful on the road, which is kind of to be expected with a true frosh at QB and a garbage running game. The mystery is why the running game is so awful.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Here’s how weird the P12 South is this year. If UCLA beats Utah on Friday, they will be in first place in the division...at 3-5.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You know how Michigan hasn't beaten a ranked road team since 2006?

You know how Dantonio is 10-0 against the spread in the last 10 games against Michigan?

You know how Harbaugh can't win the big games, especially on the road?

You know how Harbaugh has never lost a game as a player or coach in East Lansing?

Well, one of those things is still true.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 am OSU . . . is still a murderdeathmachine on offense
I'd like to revise that statement, please. OSU has no running game. Haskins is a legit QB (although Woody probably rolled over in his grave at 73 passing attempts), but he's a passer and not a runner. I'm not sure if having a running QB is the key to Meyer's offense or what, but they're completely one-dimensional right now.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Spoiler:
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
‏Verified account @Ahmadinejad1956

Watched highlights of the @UMichFootball and @MSU_Football great effort by both teams; as always a hard work ethic pays off.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I would never have expected him to be a college football fan.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:16 pm Here’s how weird the P12 South is this year. If UCLA beats Utah on Friday, they will be in first place in the division...at 3-5.
It's a brutal stretch for us (again!) to close the season. Utah, @ASU, @Oregon, USC, Stanford.

One interesting thing about this first season under Chip Kelly. Unlike our last 2 HC's (Neuheisel/Mora Jr.), he's not a rah-rah guy who gets the team super jacked up, and as such, he didn't have the huge, splashy wins to start his career (Neuheisel with a 3rd string walkon and an empty cupboard of talent, won his first game against Tennessee, when Tennessee was good, based on pure emotional plays by the team in a game they had no business winning. Mora Jr. had a huge home win over Nebraska, who was also good at the time, but one which was led by a lot of emotion as well - as well the pretty full cupboard of talent Neu left him - including not burning Hundley's RS to save his job).

What I've seen Kelly building is a Program. He sacrificed at least 1, if not 2 early wins by suspending key players for the first 3 games, which really, really set UCLA back, both for those games, and the last 2 losses of the 0-5 start, when things started to really develop, but weren't gelling yet.

The defense has been a LOT better than the last 3-4 years (since Mora Jr. lost Spanos as DC, and then had to fire Ulbrich, who was a fantastic LB coach and recruiter, but not ready to be a DC). Well, it's been a lot better until giving up 500+ yards and 2x 100-yd rushers this week to AZ - hoping that's just a mismatch issue, as that's what we've seen for years until this year.

The biggest issue was OL, and that has gotten amazingly better since Boss Tagaloa (who was a DL the last two years) took over at C. He has been absolutely dominant in the Running game, and getting better every week. He's still developing in the Passing game, but he's already made Wilner's first half conference 2-deep at OL, after just 3 games. The running game was non-existent until he got into the lineup, and since it has been getting better every week.

So, as compared to Neuheisel and Mora Jr.'s emotional starts, Kelly has been building a steadily improving Program. Outside of the rush defense issue against Arizona Saturday night (and periodic ongoing issues with running QB's), every game has been an improvement, and if that issue was schematic rather than backsliding, then UCLA is good enough to beat everyone left on the schedule, though with how young the team is, a couple of losses are to be expected (especially the Chip Kelly return to Oregon).

As to Utah - the matchup is more favorable than it appears, if Moss (and Huntley running) are kept in check.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

More on 'SC:
Jack Sears, Trojans' third-string quarterback, could start against Arizona State...

Daniels took a hit to the head near the end of the third quarter and will spend at least the beginning of this week in concussion protocol. Fink seemed like an able replacement in completing six of seven passes for 43 yards and a touchdown while adding 21 yards on four carries. But Fink also took a costly hit against the Utes in USC’s 41-28 loss, Trojans coach Clay Helton said Sunday night, and sustained three broken ribs that will keep him from playing against Arizona State.

Helton said third-string quarterback Jack Sears, a redshirt freshman who has not appeared in a game for the Trojans, will practice this week as if he’s going to start against the Sun Devils...

After watching the tape, Helton said USC’s poor night running the ball — the Trojans ran 29 times for 83 yards for an average of 2.9 yards per carry — was not about missed assignments.

“Primarily, when runs weren’t efficient, it was us losing one-on-one battles,” Helton said.
Now THAT bit about the OL is extremely concerning if I'm a Trojan fan (definitely not!). USC typically has the most talent in the Pac-12 at both lines, but especially OL, usually. If USC didn't have pretty much the easiest closing schedule in the Pac-12 (ASU, @OSU, Cal, @UCLA before Notre Dame at Home), I could see Helton's seat being really, really warm this year. It still could be, if he loses badly to both UCLA and Notre Dame.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 pm As to Utah - the matchup is more favorable than it appears, if Moss (and Huntley running) are kept in check.
Good luck with that. ;) Although I'll admit that this game makes me really, really nervous.

One last observation from playing USC. People always assume that the dislike of USC from other P12 teams stems from jealously of their success. That's not it at all. It's more the consistent, unbridled arrogance that is on display 24/7. Like this
"They were just a regular team," linebacker Jordan Iosefa said of the Utes. "We just messed up."

"We're better [than they are]," Stephen Carr said. And they are -- in the 247 Composite Roster Ratings where USC has the No. 4 roster in the nation with 51 four- and five-star players while Utah is No. 44 with just seven (and no five-stars).
You just got your asses absolutely handed to you, and that's your response? :lol: :lol:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 am OSU . . . is still a murderdeathmachine on offense
I'd like to revise that statement, please. OSU has no running game. Haskins is a legit QB (although Woody probably rolled over in his grave at 73 passing attempts), but he's a passer and not a runner. I'm not sure if having a running QB is the key to Meyer's offense or what, but they're completely one-dimensional right now.
I was surprised watching OSU earlier in the season how little Haskins ran with the ball. He is a drop back pass first, and you may be right in that OSU in recent years has featured the duel threat QB to great advantage. But what went wrong with their defense that Purdue could score 49 on them?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:15 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm
I was surprised watching OSU earlier in the season how little Haskins ran with the ball. He is a drop back pass first, and you may be right in that OSU in recent years has featured the duel threat QB to great advantage. But what went wrong with their defense that Purdue could score 49 on them?
It's an improvement over the 55 points Iowa dropped on them last year!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Initial CFP standings come out in less than a week, and Alabama is a virtual lock for #1 in the first round of 2018.

However, Alabama has pretty much EVERYTHING riding on the @LSU game 11/3. Lose that one and they have a strong chance to be left out. The schedule is crap without a win in that game and a game against the SEC East Champ, and the following scenarios are very plausible:

Clemson undefeated
Notre Dame undefeated

then we add possible 1-loss Big10 Champ Michigan (with a FAR better schedule) and the SEC Champ (1-loss LSU/Florida/Georgia). A 1-loss Big 12 Champ could even sneak in ahead of Alabama, as well as a 1-loss Notre Dame or Clemson team.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

We've still got a long way to go and a lot of contenders still have to play each other, but if Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Michigan each win out, they'll be your final four regardless of what anyone else does.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Apollo wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:33 pm We've still got a long way to go and a lot of contenders still have to play each other, but if Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Michigan each win out, they'll be your final four regardless of what anyone else does.
*fingers crossed*
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:54 pm
Apollo wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:33 pm We've still got a long way to go and a lot of contenders still have to play each other, but if Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Michigan each win out, they'll be your final four regardless of what anyone else does.
*fingers crossed*
Beware the Hoosier trap.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

UCLA/Utah tonight. What's your call Pyper?

I think this one will be closer than I'd like, especially with rumors of Utah's All-Everything LB Chase Hansen being out with a back injury. I'm going with 24-21 Utah.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Tua Tagovailoa's drive chart (every drive he has had this season).

Yellow = ended in touchdown
Blue = ended in FG
White = no score

It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The"How obtained" column is kind of stunning too.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:20 am UCLA/Utah tonight. What's your call Pyper?

I think this one will be closer than I'd like, especially with rumors of Utah's All-Everything LB Chase Hansen being out with a back injury. I'm going with 24-21 Utah.
I don't know. It's a pivotal game (and if Hansen's out, that's pretty big - I hope he's ok, 'cuz he's fun to watch). I usually look at teams' road performances a lot more stringently than I do home games, and outside of the Stanford game, you've appeared pedestrian on the road.

However, that Stanford game was Im-press-ive!. Outlier or Trend? I really don't know.

On our side, in our last game, Arizona gashed us in the running game worse than anyone this season, including OU and UW. Outlier or Trend? Outlier, I think... I'm guessing that we couldn't handle their speed at the position, which left us out of position. I don't *think* Moss is as quick as the AZ tailbacks were, but it's hard to tell.

If we can rush the ball against one of the best rushing defenses in the NCAA, we'll be in good shape. I'll be looking early at the UCLA OL vs the Utah front 7 closely to see if Tagaloa et al can get push.

I think it comes down to turnovers, and who runs the ball more effectively. I think your rushing defense will give you the edge there, but I think we'll get better QB and DB play, regardless of who starts.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:22 am Tua Tagovailoa's drive chart (every drive he has had this season).

Blue = ended in FG
White = no score

That's definitely insane. I'll say again that it's been a tremendously weak schedule however. You can see the most White areas are against Texas A&M, the best team you've faced (IMHO, everyone else is really crappy - only 2 conference wins total among the power 5 teams you've played thus far). It's a shame we only really get to see him challenged in maybe 1-2 games all year. I'd really like to see how he performs with some adversity in a hostile environment, but Alabama is so good (and the competition so dreadful), they make it look like 7 on 7's for him!

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 pm
msduncan wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:22 am Tua Tagovailoa's drive chart (every drive he has had this season).

Blue = ended in FG
White = no score

That's definitely insane. I'll say again that it's been a tremendously weak schedule however. You can see the most White areas are against Texas A&M, the best team you've faced (IMHO, everyone else is really crappy - only 2 conference wins total among the power 5 teams you've played thus far). It's a shame we only really get to see him challenged in maybe 1-2 games all year. I'd really like to see how he performs with some adversity in a hostile environment, but Alabama is so good (and the competition so dreadful), they make it look like 7 on 7's for him!
Regardless of how not-good LSU's offense can sometimes be-- they have NFL talent in their secondary. Next Saturday we will get to see him in Death Valley at night.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Shaky start, but a good finish. Well, for me...not Pyper. :) I figured Moss would have a good night tonight, but even I wasn't expecting him to go for 200+. Dude is just a beast.

That's 4 straight games over 40 points, which is completely unheard of for Utah. If we can keep up this momentum and stay healthy, sky's the limit. That said, we have traditionally been horrible in November and I'm gonna need to see that start to change before really buying in. Been a fun month though.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:32 pm Initial CFP standings come out in less than a week, and Alabama is a virtual lock for #1 in the first round of 2018.

However, Alabama has pretty much EVERYTHING riding on the @LSU game 11/3. Lose that one and they have a strong chance to be left out. The schedule is crap without a win in that game and a game against the SEC East Champ, and the following scenarios are very plausible:

Clemson undefeated
Notre Dame undefeated

then we add possible 1-loss Big10 Champ Michigan (with a FAR better schedule) and the SEC Champ (1-loss LSU/Florida/Georgia). A 1-loss Big 12 Champ could even sneak in ahead of Alabama, as well as a 1-loss Notre Dame or Clemson team.
Big 12 isn't getting in over even a 1 loss Alabama and honestly I don't think they should. ALA passes the eye test for what a great college football team looks like. Unless they stumble twice I can't see ALA not making the final 4. Texas, even if we win out does not pass the eye test like ALA does; it could come down to the proverbial 'good loss'. Texas and either OU or WV does not have one of those, Alabama would (assuming their loss is LSU).
This is why I've thought since the playoffs were announced that it should've been 8 teams all along. Some people want conference championships to count for something and in an 8 team playoff they could but right now it's much more of a beauty contest (which admittedly CFB has always been).
OR

-Hiccup
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have always favored 8 teams with conference champs getting automatic bids.
Black Lives Matter