2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by ImLawBoy »

GungHo wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:32 pm Also, is Scott Frost gonna lose his job? Good grief Nebraska, what is going on???
While I don't think people expected it to be quite this bad, I think they did know that Nebraska was a major rebuilding process. He'll get a pretty long leash, I suspect. And at least Nebraska no longer has to worry about Pellini winning only 9 games each and every year!
GungHo wrote:EDIT: not nearly the die-hard CFB fan I was a decade ago, but having GameDay at your game is still pretty dang cool.
They're going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend for Michigan-Wisconsin (not that I'll be there). It's the start of a nasty three game run for Michigan against Wisconsin, MSU, and PSU.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:34 am It's the start of a nasty three game run for Michigan against Wisconsin, MSU, and PSU.
On the plus side, it's looking far less nasty than it did in the beginning of the season. On the minus, wins will mean less and losses will mean more.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

A loss pretty much knocks them out of the playoff hunt, but they could still be alive for the Big Ten title with just one ('cause they'd have the opportunity to knock off OSU at the end of the year, which is still a murderdeathmachine on offense, but actually has some flaws on defense). Losing two or three of those pretty much kills the season.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:34 am
GungHo wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:32 pm Also, is Scott Frost gonna lose his job? Good grief Nebraska, what is going on???
While I don't think people expected it to be quite this bad, I think they did know that Nebraska was a major rebuilding process. He'll get a pretty long leash, I suspect. And at least Nebraska no longer has to worry about Pellini winning only 9 games each and every year!
GungHo wrote:EDIT: not nearly the die-hard CFB fan I was a decade ago, but having GameDay at your game is still pretty dang cool.
They're going to be in Ann Arbor this weekend for Michigan-Wisconsin (not that I'll be there). It's the start of a nasty three game run for Michigan against Wisconsin, MSU, and PSU.
Or Solich winning 10 games/year.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mike Stoops out at OU
OU head coach Lincoln Riley confirmed Monday morning that Mike Stoops has been fired from his role as the Sooners’ defensive coordinator after Oklahoma gave up 48 points in the three-point loss to Texas

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Dear lord!

Brought to you by sbnation. They took Tua's first 6 games and compared them to previous Heisman winners' BEST 6 games.

It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:Dear lord!

Brought to you by sbnation. They took Tua's first 6 games and compared them to previous Heisman winners' BEST 6 games.

Yes it's amazing, but the Alabama schedule has been very poor thus far.

That includes a true road game at tOSU, as you may recall for Mayfield, and Mayfield was still trailing Will Grier at this point last year, who also had played a weak schedule.

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:05 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:34 am
Or Solich winning 10 games/year.
Was gonna say that exact thing. NEB became a victim of their own expectations at some point, which is understandable to a degree when you look at the run they had from like 1962 to 2004 Nebraska had one (1) losing season and one (1).500 season and Oh by the way, played for like 5 NC in that stretch, if not more. And definitely would have played for more if it weren't for those pesky Sooners and then later on those damn Longhorns. So yeah their expectations weren't 8-3 playing the Sun Bowl and the fans weren't happy and at least one very good college football coach was fired.
Texas did much of the same by running Mack brown out of town after he had the teremerity to have a losing season and then only follow it up with an 8-5. So he was shown the door 3 years after a NC appearance. I believe Solich's came 2 years after his. For the record I'm a huge Scott frost

I'm sure Alabama will experience it as well when Saban is gone. in your
Theres some of it going on now at k state. Administration wants water Snyder out but he's still got the fans on his side (tho a few more games like the last 3 and he's gonna start to lose even them).
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:11 am
msduncan wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:49 pm At one point today Tua was 10/11 for 4 touchdowns. He finished:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Tua Tagovailoa 10/13 334 25.7 4 0
Part of the problem for him (as far as the Heisman and recognition) is that Alabama is too good as a whole and too good on offense. They also rushed for what, 200 some yards and 2 non-Tua TDs. And their defense makes passing moot by the second half. All that is painful for me to admit, since I'm no fan of Alabama, but it's true. He's going to need something like a 41-38 final in a pitched battle to have that "omfqb!" type of performance.
Agreed. Alabama is leaps and bonds above everyone else in this thing and while what I've seen on Tua is incredibly effective and efficient and he's a good decision maker, the Heisman vote might be titled against him simply bc of the rest of Alabama being so utterly dominant. Eventually ALA gets a game that Tua has to win for his team; like it was said before, win that and he's likely got it.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:12 am
msduncan wrote:Dear lord!

Yes it's amazing, but the Alabama schedule has been very poor thus far.

That includes a true road game at tOSU, as you may recall for Mayfield, and Mayfield was still trailing Will Grier at this point last year, who also had played a weak schedule.
This stat is amazing because it takes the previous Heisman winners’ hand picked statistically best games regardless of strength or weakness of the opponent and compares it against the first 6 games of Tua’s career without hand picking from a larger body of work.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hey Skinypupy - you'd better keep an eye on the wonder twins!
Jackee and Ben Belnap were saving up money to pay Ben’s parents back for Utes season tickets. They had $1,060 in an envelope and they couldn’t find the envelope over the weekend. They eventually found it in the family’s shredder and son Leo is considered the prime suspect.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:42 pm Hey Skinypupy - you'd better keep an eye on the wonder twins!
Jackee and Ben Belnap were saving up money to pay Ben’s parents back for Utes season tickets. They had $1,060 in an envelope and they couldn’t find the envelope over the weekend. They eventually found it in the family’s shredder and son Leo is considered the prime suspect.
Yeah, I saw that. :lol:

Seriously though, who just leaves $1,000+ just sitting around in an envelope?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, this could certainly explain why the P12 officiating is so bad. Apparently they have their VP of business affairs making real-time, in-game decisions on targeting rules
It was a clear enough call that both the in-stadium replay officials and the replay officials in the Pac-12’s command center in San Francisco ruled the play as a targeting penalty, according to an internal replay report obtained by Yahoo Sports. This call would have ejected Tago from the game. An independent veteran official who viewed the play also told Yahoo Sports it was “clear targeting.”

Targeting wasn’t called and Tago stayed in the game. The replay report obtained by Yahoo Sports states that “unfortunately a third party did not agree” with the call. That “third party” was Pac-12 general counsel and senior vice president of business affairs Woodie Dixon, Yahoo Sports sources have confirmed.

Dixon oversees football for the conference but is not a formally trained official. Dixon telephoned in his opinion that the play wasn’t targeting, sources said. According to the report, his opinion overruled both the trained officials in the stadium replay booth and in the league’s command center.
Clown. Show. :?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott issued a statement to Yahoo Sports denying there was a “third party” involved, as Dixon is typically in the command center and part of the replay collaboration team, in part because he has a full understanding of targeting.
Having "a full understanding of targeting" seems like a low bar and he apparently doesn't even have that. Or if he does, it's all about the money.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 am Well, this could certainly explain why the P12 officiating is so bad. Apparently they have their VP of business affairs making real-time, in-game decisions on targeting rules
It was a clear enough call that both the in-stadium replay officials and the replay officials in the Pac-12’s command center in San Francisco ruled the play as a targeting penalty, according to an internal replay report obtained by Yahoo Sports. This call would have ejected Tago from the game. An independent veteran official who viewed the play also told Yahoo Sports it was “clear targeting.”

Targeting wasn’t called and Tago stayed in the game. The replay report obtained by Yahoo Sports states that “unfortunately a third party did not agree” with the call. That “third party” was Pac-12 general counsel and senior vice president of business affairs Woodie Dixon, Yahoo Sports sources have confirmed.

Dixon oversees football for the conference but is not a formally trained official. Dixon telephoned in his opinion that the play wasn’t targeting, sources said. According to the report, his opinion overruled both the trained officials in the stadium replay booth and in the league’s command center.
Oh Wow. :shock:

You'd think that would draw NCAA attention but we know it won't, that org is pretty useless these days.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lassr wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 am Well, this could certainly explain why the P12 officiating is so bad. Apparently they have their VP of business affairs making real-time, in-game decisions on targeting rules

You'd think that would draw NCAA attention but we know it won't, that org is pretty useless these days.
No one tried to pay the players what they're worth, so it's not worth investigating.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fun game. P12 South could get very interesting now that Utah is figuring out how to play offense.

That SC game next week looms really large.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Fun game. P12 South could get very interesting now that Utah is figuring out how to play offense.

SC game today looms really large .

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote:

No one tried to pay the players what they're worth, so it's not worth investigating.
This has nothing to do with paying players.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 am
Skinypupy wrote:Fun game. P12 South could get very interesting now that Utah is figuring out how to play offense.

Yeah, that too.

I feel so dirty rooting for the Trojans though. Blech.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Pyperkub wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:

That's the point. If this had to do with paying players the NCAA would be all over it. But since it's just player safety... Probably won't hear from the NCAA.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This Vandy/Florida game is an utter shitshow. Two ejections, a bench clearing brawl, head coaches telling each other to fuck off at midfield, ejected player going nuts on his way out...craziness.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:53 am

Yeah, that too.

GO BUFFS !
:horse: :horse:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unagi wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:55 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:53 am

Yeah, that too.

GO BUFFS !
:horse: :horse:
I still have no idea what to make of CU. ASU feels like a decent win, but the combined W-L of their opponents coming into this weekend is 6-21, and they have an SOS of 94.

The next two weeks against USC and Washington will tell us if they're for real or not.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I attended CU during their National Championship year (ages ago), so I am just super hungry for a good run.
I think they have a shot tonight. They've never beat them before though and they are a good team and they are at home.
:|
The Washington game will be harder yet.

So...

Go Buffs!
:D

Go Ducks too
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, what a finish between WA/OR. Huskies miss a FG to win at the end of regulation, then OR scores in OT to win.

Now I can’t wait for Utah to knock the Ducks out of the playoff race in a few weeks. :twisted:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Northwestern beat Nebraska in OT just before the Oregon game too.

Fun day so far.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Unagi wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:26 pm Northwestern beat Nebraska in OT just before the Oregon game too.

Fun day so far.
NEB is just in tatters. It's gonna be a long, hard slog out of the pit for them. I know they felt like ditching the Big 12 was best for their long term health but I think they lost their Texas recruiting pipeline at the same time. And they haven't found anything to replace it with yet. I think frost is the kind of coach that can recruit nationally but that remains to be seen. But man, how do you give up a 99 yard drive in that situation?!? Oof.

Texas isn't a playoff team but if teams in front of them keep dropping (3 lost today) and we win out, there's a chance. Its been so long since I even thought about these scenarios, it's fun to just speculate. Shoot I haven't even bothered to utter the phrase 'win out' in probably a decade. 😩
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, a LOT of ranked teams lost today. Michigan (!) should move into the top ten. :clap:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Two things about the Bama game yesterday --

1. They brought back Dixieland Delight. Not sure if you guys can see Twitter vids, but here it is: Dixieland Delight

It fired the players up BIG TIME:

Players being fired up

2. Prior to the game I was gifted a ticket to the Ivory Club. It's 50 yard line directly below the press box and coaches. In fact I rode the same elevator with the press and the coaches. Full buffet, free programs, super comfortable seating, etc. I mean as expensive as you can get. It was an amazing experience.
It's 34 bowl victories.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:52 pm
Pyperkub wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:

That's the point. If this had to do with paying players the NCAA would be all over it. But since it's just player safety... Probably won't hear from the NCAA.
Ding! While I was obviously also taking a dig at the viewpoint that college athletes shouldn't be paid what they're worth, the main point was that the NCAA seems more concerned with monetary issues than with safety issues.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Meanwhile, on to Michigan.

I'm already planning my national championship party at this point. After throttling Wisconsin 38-13 yesterday, the championship is assured. The last two teams to beat Wisconsin by more than 10 points? Alabama in 2015 (35-17) and Ohio State in 2014 (59-0). Both went on to win the championship.

Outside of my fever dreams, Michigan is facing Michigan State next week. Michigan should win on paper, but I am, of course, nervous. It's in East Lansing, they're coming off a confidence building win against a then top ten PSU team, and Dantonio always saves his best game planning for Michigan. I'm all in, though. Go Blue!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:25 am Meanwhile, on to Michigan.

I'm already planning my national championship party at this point. After throttling Wisconsin 38-13 yesterday, the championship is assured. The last two teams to beat Wisconsin by more than 10 points? Alabama in 2015 (35-17) and Ohio State in 2014 (59-0). Both went on to win the championship.

Outside of my fever dreams, Michigan is facing Michigan State next week. Michigan should win on paper, but I am, of course, nervous. It's in East Lansing, they're coming off a confidence building win against a then top ten PSU team, and Dantonio always saves his best game planning for Michigan. I'm all in, though. Go Blue!
It’s great to see Michigan doing well again!
It's 34 bowl victories.

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

GameDay goes to Pullman for the first time

This is seriously cool. Anyone who has watched the show in, I dunno, the last decade and a half maybe, has seen the Wazzou flag flying at every show. Finally they get their time in the spotlight. Even though the curtain will go up at like 6am PCT I'm betting the crowd will be rocking. Good for them.
OR

-Hiccup
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Tua Tagovailoa interview on Monday Night Football:

Link

I love this kid. I love Jalen too, which makes it tough seeing him have to watch. Tua is a special talent though. We are a completely different offense when he is in the game.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Michigan moves up to #6 and Texas to #7.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Maybe it is Alabama's perceived dominance, or maybe it is just me, but the top ten seem really weak this year compared to past years.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Spoiler:

fredzannarbor @fredzannarbor
· Sep 3, 2018
Replying to @Ahmadinejad1956 @Kaepernick7

Dear Mahmoud,

We have much bigger problems here. #Michigan is 8-8 in its last 16 games under @CoachJim4UM . #GoBlue

Also, college football is the only authentic football.

Cordially,

Fred

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

@Ahmadinejad1956

With a hard work ethic Inshallah the U of M will return to its glory days.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

WTF? Is that some sort of weird Michigan thing I just don’t get?

In other news, rumors are swirling tonight that Jack Tuttle - 4-star true freshman and the highest rated QB recruit Utah has ever landed - is transferring after not winning the starting job 6 games into his first year. No “official” confirmation yet, but he apparently deleted all references and images related to Utah in his social media feeds, and some well connected folks within the program are saying he’s gone. It’s all very strange, and certainly doesn’t bode well for the future of the offense.

Seriously though...Six. Games.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 pm WTF? Is that some sort of weird Michigan thing I just don’t get?
If it is, I don't get it either. It started off with Mahmoud tweeting something about the NFL kicking off without Kaepernick on a roster, and then @fredzannarbor gave him the goofy reply. I'm guessing Mahmoud was in a playful mood and just decided to play along. The responses to his tweet are all people asking him about other college football issues (I don't believe he ever responds again). I'm not sure how I feel about him apparently supporting the Wolverines.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looks like Tuttle transferring is all but official now.. So weird.

This was a highly rated kid who committed to Utah in his junior year, and stayed committed despite strong pushes from blue blood programs (I.e. USC). He had to know that he would redshirt his freshman year, as Huntley (current starter) was just a Junior. To bolt this quickly is just...strange.

That said, the fact he didn’t crack the 2-deep all year seems to indicate that maybe he wasn’t all he was cracked up to be. Who the hell knows, 18-year-old kids are weird. I’m sure he’ll be a good pickup for a non-P12 team.