2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Apollo

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Apollo »

Please, lets not turn this into another "We hate the SEC" thread, as in years past. I have tried to be as humble and reasonable as I can, despite the fact that I am discussing my favorite team, and I have not taken a shot at anyone's Conference. I greatly prefer a civil discussion to a bunch of insults and rolley-eyes.

Auburn will actually be playing its third straight game in Atlanta, and they lost the first two, so its hardly their home field, especially with Petersen stipulating that the Dome remain closed for the game so heat and humidity won't be a factor. As far as neutral site games being played in Texas and Georgia, I imagine a lot of that has to do with the fact that those happen to be the two nicest stadiums in the nation. And, of course, let's not forget that the SEC holds a gun to the heads of the Athletic Directors of other schools and forces them to play these games in Dallas and Atlanta against their will.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apollo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:49 pm Please, lets not turn this into another "We hate the SEC" thread, as in years past. I have tried to be as humble and reasonable as I can, despite the fact that I am discussing my favorite team, and I have not taken a shot at anyone's Conference. I greatly prefer a civil discussion to a bunch of insults and rolley-eyes.
Poking fun at the SEC for never traveling outside of their own geography != Insults

EDIT: Literally the very first words from the announcers in the Aub/WA broadcast: “There is nothing ‘neutral site’ about this game!”. Looks about 90%/10% for Auburn.

So yeah...”road game”.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

New rule: Texas is no longer allowed to be included in the polls until they win a game. :naughty:

Aub/Wash has been a fun game so far. Thought it was gearing up to be an Auburn blowout, but Wash has done a good job closing the gap.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:39 pm New rule: Texas is no longer allowed to be included in the polls until they win a game. :naughty:

Aub/Wash has been a fun game so far. Thought it was gearing up to be an Auburn blowout, but Wash has done a good job closing the gap.
Texas shouldn't be allowed to play football until, well, we learn how to play football. 1-5 definitely not out of the question for us to start the season. There's always next year! (or maybe the one after that...)
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

God dammit, Washington. :x
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, Michigan still doesn't have a quarterback.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Tua gets the start. Leads a touchdown drive.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

And a rushing TD by Tua. He's the real deal.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I mean Tua has taken command of the offense and not let go. I think Jalen transfers barring injury to Tua in January.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Hurts comes in and goes 3 and out.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Tua comes back in after 2 Jalen scoreless drives with 40 seconds left to go in the half and throws a TD.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

WVU wins and escapes without too many injuries. Defense looked questionable at times, but they have a couple weeks to get their acts together. And while Grier and the offense were out of sync in the first half, they're fun to watch when they're clicking.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

With Tua, this could be Alabama's best team since Saban got there. :shock: :shock: :shock:
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Tua stats: 11/15 195 13.0 2TD
Rushing: 5 26 5.2 1TD
It's 34 bowl victories.

DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

So Hurts should play three more games and if he isn't the primary QB he redshirts and hangs around in case Tua gets hurt. Then he graduates in December and transfers without having to sit out a year and still have two years eligibility. At least if I was him that's what I would seriously consider doing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Still no QB. Patterson should have stayed in the locker room.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:44 pm So Hurts should play three more games and if he isn't the primary QB he redshirts and hangs around in case Tua gets hurt. Then he graduates in December and transfers without having to sit out a year and still have two years eligibility. At least if I was him that's what I would seriously consider doing.
Pretty much. Yes.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good win for BYU. They showed more fire and energy last night then they did at any point last year. They’ll definitely be improved.

I think Arizona’s got major problems. Both lines are undersized and got abused by BYUs more physical play. Tate is an explosive player, but not a great passer. If teams can figure out how to make him one dimensional and force him to win with his arm, they’re in for a long season. They also looked completely disinterested and almost bored, which doesn’t say much for Sumlin’s coaching.

Between USC struggling and UCLA and AZ both losing, the P12 South is an utter disaster after week 1. That said, I still expect Utah to find a way not to come out on top. ;)
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:01 am Good win for BYU. They showed more fire and energy last night then they did at any point last year. They’ll definitely be improved.

I think Arizona’s got major problems. Both lines are undersized and got abused by BYUs more physical play. Tate is an explosive player, but not a great passer. If teams can figure out how to make him one dimensional and force him to win with his arm, they’re in for a long season. They also looked completely disinterested and almost bored, which doesn’t say much for Sumlin’s coaching.
Agree with all of this. I was very pleasantly surprised. It wasn't flashy, it wasn't always exciting, but it was good disciplined and fundamentally sound football playing the players in their strengths. No mistakes were made and BYU got out of Arizona with a nice road win. I'm very happy with it. That being said I don't know what it means for the season. I think BYU will still have some struggles this year. Some big struggles even. But hopefully nothing like the disaster last year. I enjoyed it.

In terms of Arizona I don't even know what it means. BYU just seems to have Arizona's number lately and certainly match up well. The physical play of BYU lineman Arizona just cannot seem to handle. And run defense is generally a big strength of BYU football the last decade or more. Tate had to win with his arm and he simply didn't seem good enough to win with his arm. Teams that struggle with the run I think Arizona will do very well.

Why UA was disinterested... I don't know and frankly it's weird, but I agree they did seem to be. I would have thought by the end of the half when they were leading by only 3 they would have realized that this wasn't the BYU team that went 4-9 last year and certainly was a team to take seriously at that time at least. Honestly I agree it looked like crappy coaching, they couldn't energize despite being down, and then the 3rd quarter was out of control in BYU's favor with 3 straight touchdown drives and 2 straight 3 and outs for UA. That's coaching. Somehow they came out even more flat after the half. Someone should have told Sumlin despite BYU not being in a P5 conference their record with UA over eternity is basically even . Bad coaching.

Based on the weekend Utah should be in good position in the south, but obviously it's too early to know what the regular powers will do.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Last night spoke volumes as to just how massive an upgrade Grimes is over Detmer at OC.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:01 am Good win for BYU. They showed more fire and energy last night then they did at any point last year. They’ll definitely be improved.

Between USC struggling and UCLA and AZ both losing, the P12 South is an utter disaster after week 1. That said, I still expect Utah to find a way not to come out on top. ;)
Going 3 and out on deep balls when you're down by two scores didn't help, either.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Going 3 and out on deep balls when you're down by two scores didn't help, either.
The offensive play calling was a complete mess. I have no idea what they were going for there. The fact they made zero defensive adjustments to stop BYUs running game was equally as baffling.

I had significant doubts about Sumlin’s coaching ability before, and that game did little to change my mind.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:17 pm Well, Michigan still doesn't have a quarterback.
How's that coach working out?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:21 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:17 pm Well, Michigan still doesn't have a quarterback.
It's hard to say. I mean he still can't get a quarterback so I guess that's on him. Patterson backpedaled out of a field goal and then out of a 3rd and goal. He got cramps but managed to make it back in time to fumble away the comeback while trying to take another sack for loss on another huge play.

The turnaround timetable is still ahead of where I thought they'd be but that doesn't give Harbaugh a free pass. It's early but the offense doesn't appear to have improved at all. And the penalties were terrible (discipline, not officiating).

The defense had to shake off a little rust but they showed up after those first two ND TD drives.

Going back into my NCAA hidey hole for a week.

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

LSU is looking very good so far. That, and Miami is looking very bad.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's not really accurate. Patterson was fine, given the circumstances. There's nothing a QB can do when the OL (and particularly the tackles) is a sieve.
Jaymann wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:21 pm
You mean the guy who was literally within one inch of the playoff in his second year? He's fine. The one thing he needs to do is recruit some tackles.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:03 am
That's not really accurate. Patterson was fine, given the circumstances. There's nothing a QB can do when the OL (and particularly the tackles) is a sieve.
He made poor decisions at key points of the game. The O line may have put him on on the spot but he did nothing to help his cause. See the other side of the ball for how to handle defensive pressure. The way you have more yards and ToP and still lose is by missing opportunities and turning the ball over. Patterson did enough of both.

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:03 am You mean the guy who was literally within one inch of the playoff in his second year? He's fine. The one thing he needs to do is recruit some tackles.
He's .500 in his last 18 games. How is 9-9 fine? He's 1-6 against MSU, OSU, and ND. He's lost 4 in a row now, not even Hoke did that. Like I said, it's ahead of where I thought they'd be but it feels like he's already had his most impressive/surprising season. They're going to have to beat 2 of MSU, OSU, Wisconsin, and PSU (and go perfect the rest of the way) to avoid a repeat 8-4. Or more precisely, they'll have to beat both MSU and PSU because Wis and OSU aren't happening.

MYT
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:02 am
Apollo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:49 pm Please, lets not turn this into another "We hate the SEC" thread, as in years past. I have tried to be as humble and reasonable as I can, despite the fact that I am discussing my favorite team, and I have not taken a shot at anyone's Conference. I greatly prefer a civil discussion to a bunch of insults and rolley-eyes.
Poking fun at the SEC for never traveling outside of their own geography != Insults...
WTF are you whining about now?

The SEC plays outside of its own geography on a regular basis. For example, this week Arkansas travels to Colorado St and Miss State travels to Kansas St., next week Vanderbilt travels to South Bend, Missouri travels to Purdue, etc. etc.

You should focus more of your criticism on your own conference which is stacking up out-of-conference losses at a staggering rate.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Ooh conference fight. Awesome! This is the college football discussion we all hope for.

Sorry Apollo but you're not going to win arguing the SEC leaves it's footprint because largely... It doesn't. A few examples doesn't change that the powers that are in the conference not only play seven home games but they play their road games as close to home as possible.

And yes everyone knows the PAC is the weakest conference of the p5 right now. That's been shown on the field. At some point the fortunes may be reversed though... Success in college football can be fickle...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apollo wrote:Please, lets not turn this into another "We hate the SEC" thread, as in years past. I have tried to be as humble and reasonable as I can, despite the fact that I am discussing my favorite team, and I have not taken a shot at anyone's Conference. I greatly prefer a civil discussion to a bunch of insults and rolley-eyes.

Auburn will actually be playing its third straight game in Atlanta, and they lost the first two, so its hardly their home field, especially with Petersen stipulating that the Dome remain closed for the game so heat and humidity won't be a factor. As far as neutral site games being played in Texas and Georgia, I imagine a lot of that has to do with the fact that those happen to be the two nicest stadiums in the nation. And, of course, let's not forget that the SEC holds a gun to the heads of the Athletic Directors of other schools and forces them to play these games in Dallas and Atlanta against their will.
FWIW, I wasn't trying to. I was definitely interested in your thoughts on the biggest game of the weekend. I've made my point about SEC scheduling and I'm letting it go until the playoff rankings come out.
I only saw the first half before we left the bay for the Rose Bowl, but the offensive line and scheme relay had UW struggling in the first half. Turnovers were the difference, and UW lost, unlike I expected. Good win!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Ooh conference fight. Awesome! This is the college football discussion we all hope for.

Sorry Apollo but you're not going to win arguing the SEC leaves it's footprint because largely... It doesn't. A few examples doesn't change that the powers that are in the conference not only play seven home games but they play their road games as close to home as possible.

And yes everyone knows the PAC is the weakest conference of the p5 right now. That's been shown on the field. At some point the fortunes may be reversed though... Success in college football can be fickle...
Actually, the ACC was far worse than the Pac12 as was the Big 12.

Kansas should be relegated to FCS...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:09 pm Ooh conference fight. Awesome! This is the college football discussion we all hope for.

I completely agree with the idea that success in college football can be fickle. After all, the Pac-12 was looking pretty good in out-of-conference games last year until the bowl season and week one of this year. And the same fate could easily befall the SEC and it has many times in the past.

However, I still disagree with the assumption that the SEC does not leave its geographic footprint as much as the other Power 5 conferences. But there are a few things to consider in this discussion. For one, several SEC teams play big out-of-conference games every year against ACC rivals, who share the same geographic "footprint". These are by no means "gimme" games as they are all home and away against respectable opponents: Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Louisville. In addition, several teams start the season with Neutral site games which are not home games but are played in the SEC's geographic footprint for reasons I can only guess at. But then, in football, most "Event" games like Bowl Games and Superbowls are routinely played in warm locations, so maybe that has something to do with it. I seriously doubt that most SEC teams fear playing outside the Southeast, yet, on this forum, that is what is usually assumed. And THAT is what I find so annoying.

In closing, please gIve me an example of a P5 conference that leaves its geographic area significantly more often than the SEC. Glancing over other conference schedules, I just don't see it, but I am willing to be corrected.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:37 pm Actually, the ACC was far worse than the Pac12 as was the Big 12.

Yeah, I was just making the point about the Pac-12 since Skinny is a Utah fan. But if I were a Pac-12 fan I would be furious over the way the media was trying to write off the entire conference before a game was even played. I couldn't tell you how many times I heard "If Washington loses, the Pac-12 can say good-bye to this years playoff...". Say what?! I guess they've never heard of USC, UCLA, Oregon, etc. etc.

And every conference has to have it's sacrificial lamb. I think a lot of SEC fans would like to see Vanderbilt relegated to the FCS... :mrgreen:
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:36 pm
Apollo wrote:Please, lets not turn this into another "We hate the SEC" thread, as in years past. I have tried to be as humble and reasonable as I can, despite the fact that I am discussing my favorite team, and I have not taken a shot at anyone's Conference. I greatly prefer a civil discussion to a bunch of insults and rolley-eyes.

FWIW, I wasn't trying to. I was definitely interested in your thoughts on the biggest game of the weekend. I've made my point about SEC scheduling and I'm letting it go until the playoff rankings come out.
I only saw the first half before we left the bay for the Rose Bowl, but the offensive line and scheme relay had UW struggling in the first half. Turnovers were the difference, and UW lost, unlike I expected. Good win!
It was a sloppy game, but part of that was because both teams strength is on defense. While I was surprised that Auburn was able to do as well as it did against Washington's secondary, I was also impressed by how well Washington shut down Auburn's running game, which is usually it's bread and butter.

Let's face it: Both teams were pretty much equal, Auburn just made a few plays at crucial moments late in the game. And I still think that if head coaches were swapped a month before the game, Petersen's Auburn would've won by two touchdowns... :P
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Pyperkub wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:Ooh conference fight. Awesome! This is the college football discussion we all hope for.

Actually, the ACC was far worse than the Pac12 as was the Big 12.

Maybe top to bottom but the top of the acc is much better than anything the PAC has put out in a few years. Big 12... Yeah I would say worse. Regardless the bowl season left the PAC as the weakest p5 showing possibly ever and that's what counts to mind now for me. That was ugly. But it doesn't matter, the PAC will be just fine in the future.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:08 pm
He made poor decisions at key points of the game. The O line may have put him on on the spot but he did nothing to help his cause. See the other side of the ball for how to handle defensive pressure. The way you have more yards and ToP and still lose is by missing opportunities and turning the ball over. Patterson did enough of both.
Hard to capitalize on opportunities when you have no time to set your feet. The other side of the ball relied on hucking 50/50 balls to gigantic receivers and praying to Touchdown Jesus. Plus, their QB was a returning starter, as opposed to someone playing in his first game in a new system. I know it's an instant gratification society and all, but this was a really tough assignment for a first game for Patterson. It would have been nice to get some games against lower competition first before going against an elite defense with a shaky O-line.

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:03 am You mean the guy who was literally within one inch of the playoff in his second year? He's fine. The one thing he needs to do is recruit some tackles.
He's .500 in his last 18 games. How is 9-9 fine? He's 1-6 against MSU, OSU, and ND. He's lost 4 in a row now, not even Hoke did that. Like I said, it's ahead of where I thought they'd be but it feels like he's already had his most impressive/surprising season. They're going to have to beat 2 of MSU, OSU, Wisconsin, and PSU (and go perfect the rest of the way) to avoid a repeat 8-4. Or more precisely, they'll have to beat both MSU and PSU because Wis and OSU aren't happening.
Yes, his record sucks since his QB broke his back and he's been trying to cobble something together. This was always going to be an iffy year with this schedule in this conference.

I'll have more thoughts later, but I've got to jump on a conference call.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:32 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pmAtlanta
Why is it the SEC plays their "neutral" road games in Atlanta? :roll:
Are you serious? Or just jealous?

1. Really how many games we talking about here? The Kick off classic? So 1?
1. One of The best Venues in America for a neutral site game (Mercedes Benz)
2. Home of the College football Hall of Fame
3. Best/easiest Airport to fly into from anywhere
4. Huge convention Sporting event City so Hotels, Restaurants, etc.
5. Nice weather
6. Because they CAN but also because it just makes the most sense.
morlac

Post by morlac »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am
Hard to capitalize on opportunities when you have no time to set your feet. The other side of the ball relied on hucking 50/50 balls to gigantic receivers and praying to Touchdown Jesus. Plus, their QB was a returning starter, as opposed to someone playing in his first game in a new system. I know it's an instant gratification society and all, but this was a really tough assignment for a first game for Patterson. It would have been nice to get some games against lower competition first before going against an elite defense with a shaky O-line.

Yes, his record sucks since his QB broke his back and he's been trying to cobble something together. This was always going to be an iffy year with this schedule in this conference.

I'll have more thoughts later, but I've got to jump on a conference call.
I am curious to hear more because Michigan is too big and been too successful to blame losing on the injury of one player. I think Harbaugh gets fired this year unless he puts together a helluva run and beats all the rivals.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

morlac wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:53 am
Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:32 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pmAtlanta
Why is it the SEC plays their "neutral" road games in Atlanta? :roll:
Are you serious? Or just jealous?

1. Really how many games we talking about here? The Kick off classic? So 1?
1. One of The best Venues in America for a neutral site game (Mercedes Benz)
2. Home of the College football Hall of Fame
3. Best/easiest Airport to fly into from anywhere
4. Huge convention Sporting event City so Hotels, Restaurants, etc.
5. Nice weather
6. Because they CAN but also because it just makes the most sense.
And I guess because they won't travel outside the south to play them. :)
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Now, where was I?

The level of overreaction to this loss (at least on Twitter - I haven't really looked much elsewhere yet) is comical. I saw one tweet proclaiming that the big takeaways were that ND is a playoff contender and that Michigan is still far away. Huh? This was a seven point game at ND where Michigan actually outgained ND. Either Michigan is so good that a narrow home win against them is enough to make someone a playoff contender, or ND should be concerned that they only beat a lousy Michigan team by seven at home. Both of those being simultaneously true doesn't work logically.
morlac wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:05 am I am curious to hear more because Michigan is too big and been too successful to blame losing on the injury of one player. I think Harbaugh gets fired this year unless he puts together a helluva run and beats all the rivals.
Well, it's overly simplistic to blame it on just the one player, I'll admit. That said, it's a huge factor. Speight got hurt during the Iowa game (which was the first game of 9-9 streak, I believe). He still played against OSU and FSU that year, but not well (not to the standard he had been playing previously). His backup was a transfer that Michigan took out of desperation to get some QB experience, and O'Korn was a disaster. He was replaced by a freshman who was using a limited playbook. It didn't help that our best receivers were freshmen, and freshman receivers often need a year to get the hang of college (they can typically just outrun/jump high school competition, so they need to get better at route running). All of those QBs were playing behind terrible offensive lines. The offensive line is a huge problem, and one that Harbaugh needs to figure out. Unfortunately, it takes time to develop o linemen, and the guys we've got have been mostly busts. There's no quick fix there.

Lastly, I put the odds of Harbaugh getting fired at about 5%. He's probably not going to beat all the rivals (MSU and OSU are both on the road - thanks Big 10 schedulers), and he may not beat Wisconsin or PSU either. (That said, neither MSU or PSU looked particularly impressive in their openers against supposedly weak competition.) Still, Michigan is committed to Harbaugh, and there are no better alternatives on the horizon. A winless season would obviously lead to serious job security issues, but I don't think that's realistic. A scandal could also lead to a change (particularly if the scandal is paired with a sub-.500 record). Beyond that, if Harbaugh leaves it will be of his own accord.