2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Skinypupy »

I literally walked away for less than 5 minutes, and Michigan scores 13 points.

Lol...WTF?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Ok/WV was awful to watch. Do they even know what defense is?

Yea, I'm working on the bathroom, leave the TV for a few minutes, and Michigan has scored 13 pts
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 pm I literally walked away for less than 5 minutes, and Michigan scores 13 points.

Lol...WTF?
I walked away to get a cup of coffee after that, because it was half time. Then Ohio State scored a field goal? WTF? :think:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Lassr wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:46 pm Ok/WV was awful to watch. Do they even know what defense is?

Yea, I'm working on the bathroom, leave the TV for a few minutes, and Michigan has scored 13 pts
It was bad, no question. Guys were running wide open 50 yards down the field on play after play after play. And seemingly THE SAME PLAY each time it happened. 😳. It looked like a Nike Air 7v7 camp at times. And WVU couldn't tackle, even when they had guys squared up in perfect form tackles they just let go or something. 🤷‍♂️

I think the Michigan game though is showing what has been trending for 2 decades and is really spiking now, and that is good offense>good defense. Michigan is...not awful on defense but OSU still has guys running wide open and/or drawing penalties as often as they're well covered. And they don't have much of a pass rush either. And this is supposedly the best defense not just in the B1G but the country.

And tOSU was 3 yards from being on the same scoring pace as WVU last night....
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Harbaugh just cannot beat OSU. Michigan's defense is still somewhere near Toledo for this one. Wasn't counting on the offense but man.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, I was not expecting this level of ass-kicking.

Urban just owns Harbaugh.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Notre Dame loss was frustrating. This one is like, turn off the game and find a new hobby.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

GungHo wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:12 pm
Lassr wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:46 pm Ok/WV was awful to watch. Do they even know what defense is?

I think the Michigan game though is showing what has been trending for 2 decades and is really spiking now, and that is good offense>good defense. Michigan is...not awful on defense but OSU still has guys running wide open and/or drawing penalties as often as they're well covered. And they don't have much of a pass rush either. And this is supposedly the best defense not just in the B1G but the country.
You have to put pressure on the Qb. You can stop the run all day long but if the QB has time to find an open receiver he will kill you. I don't think Haskins was sacked the entire game.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oof.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Dear God. That TAMU v LSU game. 74-72
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

msduncan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 am Dear God. That TAMU v LSU game. 74-72
Absolutely shameful PI call on the final 2 point conversion by A&M. How in the world do you insert yourself into that game as an official on a 50/50 hand fight on a ball that's 2 yards out of bounds? In the 7th OT?!?!? But yeah otherwise, wow doesn't begin to describe that game
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Nice comeback Skiny! I saw that halftime score and couldn't believe it. Good luck against US, and definitely go to the Rose Bowl if you make it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This freaking rivalry. Sheesh!

Utah got absolutely dominated in the first half, with easily the worst two quarters they've played all year. Then they come out and win the second half 35-7. :lol: Fun game, but I'd really like it if one of these years it wasn't a complete nailbiter to the very end.

Keep an eye on that BYU QB, Zack Wilson. Kid is a stud, and he's going to do good things. Probably the best player on the field tonight.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 am Dear God. That TAMU v LSU game. 74-72
Looks Like Texas A&M brought big 12 defense to the SEC 😂

Pretty incredible finish.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So Michigan, LSU and Washington State all go down, and Georgia will lose to Alabama. Glorious chaos!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I last checked the score in the LSU game when it was in regulation time and they were a bit behind, I thought 'wow, what if they lose?'. Then I went out to do stuff. Next time I check the score it's not only a 140+ point game, but seven overtimes?!?!?! Ties are for wimps, play until someone wins or dies!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:42 pm So Michigan, LSU and Washington State all go down, and Georgia will lose to Alabama. Glorious chaos!
Only Michigan's loss may have changed things, but should Alabama somehow lose things would really hit the fan.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

There's no way Alabama doesn't get into the playoffs, no matter what happens in the SEC championship game. We've seen before that one loss doesn't hurt Alabama like it does other teams.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:41 pm There's no way Alabama doesn't get into the playoffs, no matter what happens in the SEC championship game. We've seen before that one loss doesn't hurt Alabama like it does other teams.
And they have validated this argument by performing well in the post season.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Wow. Can you imagine how bad Purdue would have beat us?

Sucks to play your worst game of the year during the same game when your rival plays its best game.
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:23 pm How the hell was that not called as targeting? QB is in the process of sliding, and the LB drills him helmet-to-helmet. I don’t blame Urban for going nuts. This rule and the way it is enforced game to game is so goddamn infuriating. We’ve had multiple defenders ejected for doing far less this year, yet they don’t even review that play.
First, every play is reviewed in college, as they can always stop plays. The fact that it wasn't stopped for a more detailed review is an indication that it didn't look like targeting to them. Second, I'd be totally cool with that play being called a late hit (not subject to review, BTW), but it didn't look like targeting to me (reviewable, regardless of whether it's called on the field).

Anyway, I had a lot of scenarios going on in my head for how that game would play out, but none of them ended like that. All week I kept trying to put to the side the feeling that this was similar to the '90s in reverse. Ohio State would be coming into The Game riding high and ready to go to the Rose Bowl or even get a national championship, and then an overlooked Michigan team would beat them. That felt a lot better than this.

And now I have to get one sour grapes thing off of my chest. Enough with the fucking redemption stories for Urban Meyer. He's a scumbag who protected a domestic abuser on his staff for years. Wow, he overcame so much by putting together a great season after he was (deservedly, oh so deservedly) suspended for three games for being a piece of shit. He's a great football coach, but a terrible human being. And now I'm done with that. (For now.)

Go Wildcats!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Meanwhile, I think we all expected the news coming out of Champaign. Yes, Lovie Smith has been . . .

extended for 2 more years.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:41 pm There's no way Alabama doesn't get into the playoffs, no matter what happens in the SEC championship game. We've seen before that one loss doesn't hurt Alabama like it does other teams.
I'm no ALA fan, I don't hate them but I'm definitely not a fan, but do you not think they are clearly the best team in CFB? I've argued against them many times in years past but unless they get beat 63-0 by uga I just can't possibly see how you leave them out. I honestly don't think it will be a concern, uga is a good football team but no one not named Clemson is in ALA zip code IMHO. Auburn isn't an especially good team but ALA just went thru them like a hot knife; almost every other team in CFB no matter their ranking has had several games where they have struggled with lesser opponents, severally highly ranked teams have struggled vs teams with losing records. Bama hasn't batted an eye at anyone.

RE: UM-OSU I saw a crazy stat the other day that listed the Top 5 'biggest CFB rivalries'(yes that's highly subjective) and the records over the past quarter century. Texas OU was like 11-13-1, ALA Auburn was something like 15-10, FL St-FL(or might have been Miami) was 12-12-1. Michigan OSU was 5-20. 😳. I knew it was bad but my gosh. While true that Meyer is a great coach (and a douche of a human) this OSU domination goes deeper than him or Harbaugh.
OR

-Hiccup
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:There's no way Alabama doesn't get into the playoffs, no matter what happens in the SEC championship game. We've seen before that one loss doesn't hurt Alabama like it does other teams.
I do think they are the best team, but if they lose to UGa, it is possible they get left out. I'd give them about a 60% chance of making it over an OU team which avenged its only loss and won the Big 12 or an OSU squad which won the B1G.

Side note, I don't think Meyer is a horrible person, I think he made a huge mistake and compounded that by covering it up. I also think his Florida teams were a bit out of control and he should have done more there, but that it isn't easy to police 100+ young adults.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:34 am
How the hell was that not called as targeting? QB is in the process of sliding, and the LB drills him helmet-to-helmet. I don’t blame Urban for going nuts. This rule and the way it is enforced game to game is so goddamn infuriating. We’ve had multiple defenders ejected for doing far less this year, yet they don’t even review that play.
First, every play is reviewed in college, as they can always stop plays. The fact that it wasn't stopped for a more detailed review is an indication that it didn't look like targeting to them. Second, I'd be totally cool with that play being called a late hit (not subject to review, BTW), but it didn't look like targeting to me (reviewable, regardless of whether it's called on the field).
Shows how I've been conditioned by horrible Pac12 officiating, where every contact to the QB's head - regardless of how it happened - results in a targeting penalty.* Also demonstrates how frustrating it is to have such wildly different definitions and/or enforcement between different leagues.

It was actually really awesome to have a non-P12 officiating crew for the Utah/BYU game on Saturday. There were only 4 flags thrown the entire game, and one of them was for delay of game. Sure, there could have been a few holding penalties called, but they let the kids play...rather than try and dictate the entire game like the P12 refs always seem to do.

*unless the offending player is from USC, of course.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Assuming nothing wild happens, the playoffs will be Alabama vs. either Oklahoma or Ohio State, and Clemson vs Notre Dame.

I do wonder who gets in if somehow both Oklahoma AND Ohio State lose Saturday. Do they dare bring in a 2-loss SEC team? I think that would have been the scenario to get UCF in, but I don't see them getting slotted in without Milton.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

IMHO, Clemson is nowhere near the team that Alabama is this year.

I can assure you, if we had not been using our 3rd and 4th (literally) stringers at defense due to injuries of starters, the USC v. Clemson game would have been much, MUCH closer. Clemson would have been the better team even with our starting defense, IMO, but MUCH closer. The final score does not reflect how close that game was. We played up, for sure, and not sure if Clemson was playing lights out, normal, or down. Bottom line, we (USC) were/are not very good at all this year, but definitely gave the #2 team in the country a scare until Q3 started.

Look at who Clemson has played this year in a VERY light ACC. If Clemson end up playing Bama, they are going to get crushed (again). I have not seen ND play this year, so no idea if overrated or not.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Seems to me like the three sure things are Alabama (unless they get crushed against UGA), Clemson (assuming they win their conference championship), and ND. After that it's a bit of a muddle. I'd probably give OU the edge over OSU because OU didn't get choked out by a team that barely made a bowl game. UGA only gets in if it beats Bama. At this point, it would be fun to have UGA, OU, and OSU lose, which would give a path to UCF. Not that I think UCF is in the same league as the other contenders, but in a year where a 4-team playoff is probably too big, let's have a little fun with it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Heh, speaking of Clemson, just read this (VERY typical of Clemson fans, BTW)

"Clemson pulled away for a 56-35 victory against South Carolina on Saturday night at Death Valley and earned its fifth consecutive win against the Gamecocks in the process.

But some critics and Clemson fans were disappointed after the Tigers allowed USC quarterback Jake Bentley to pass for 510 yards and South Carolina to put up 600 yards of offense, the fifth-highest total Clemson has ever allowed.

Tigers coach Dabo Swinney had a message for those people Sunday evening during his teleconference previewing the ACC Championship Game against Pitt.

“I just want to win by one more point. If that ever gets to where that’s not enough, then it’s time for me to move on somewhere else. I ain’t never going to apologize for a 21-point win over a state rival, ever,” Swinney said. “You people who suggest that it felt like a loss, y’all need to check yourself, too. I’ve been here 16 years. For all those people out there that want to complain about five wins in a row, winning by three touchdowns, man, that’s shameful. That’s a lack of respect for our program and a lack of respect for the effort that these players and coaches put in. I hope you write that.”
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:05 am Side note, I don't think Meyer is a horrible person, I think he made a huge mistake and compounded that by covering it up. I also think his Florida teams were a bit out of control and he should have done more there, but that it isn't easy to police 100+ young adults.
I've read enough (plus I have a personal bias, I'm not gonna try to lie about it ;) ) to conclude he's a terrible person. For corroboration, you can look to some members of the media.

Spoiler:
mike freeman
‏Verified account @mikefreemanNFL

mike freeman Retweeted Doug Gottlieb

1. I covered him at Florida.
2. Interviewed him one on one.
3. Know some of his players and talked them extensively.
4. His stint at Florida was one of the most corrupt in CFB history.
5. He covered up terrible domestic abuse at Ohio State.
Stick to basketball Doug.

Spoiler:
Eric Orvieto
‏Verified account @eorvieto
Replying to @GottliebShow

I covered Meyer at Florida, just as @mikefreemanNFL did, and can concur he is a terrible person. Most anyone else who covered him will agree.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

While I'm always grateful for what he did here (honestly, Utah wouldn't be where we are without him), I'm very glad Urban moved on quickly. I would side with the general consensus that he seems like a particularly awful person in addition to an incredible football coach.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Saturday was embarassing for Michigan but I would rather we have that happen than employ Urban Meyer in any way shape or form. From everything I have read about him he is really and truely scum. Being an amazing football coach doesn't alter that and I'd rather have someone who (at least from what is known right now) runs a clean program and isn't a horrible human being.

Also, Michigan's defense made its name from preseason impressions and from beating the snot out of Big 10 teams that in a year in which the Big 10 is pretty horrid. I've had a sneaking suspicion for weeks now that Michgian is way over rated (still is at 8). They played 2 really good teams. ND and OSU. Both losses. They beat a bunch of crappy teams to up their numbers.

One of the things that was so very frustrating about the game this weekend was the way Michigan moved the ball when they spread OSU out then went right back to bunch formations and 3 TE + FB mode so often. Harbaugh needs to adjust his offense if he is ever to get over the hump and beat OSU at all or MSU/PSU during years when they are good.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:08 am Seems to me like the three sure things are Alabama (unless they get crushed against UGA), Clemson (assuming they win their conference championship), and ND. After that it's a bit of a muddle. I'd probably give OU the edge over OSU because OU didn't get choked out by a team that barely made a bowl game. UGA only gets in if it beats Bama. At this point, it would be fun to have UGA, OU, and OSU lose, which would give a path to UCF. Not that I think UCF is in the same league as the other contenders, but in a year where a 4-team playoff is probably too big, let's have a little fun with it.
OSU over OU all day, as hard as it is for me to say it. Watching that OU/WVU game, there is no way the committee will select such a one-sided team unless there is no other option. Plus I have a strong feeling that their #1 offense is a lot of smoke and mirrors like the "#1 defense" was.

UCF won't get the nod because their best player is out.

Also, there is no "if" around Alabama. They won't lose to Georgia and they will beat whoever they face in the playoffs. At this point, everyone else should just resign themselves to enjoy the bowl games prior to Alabama getting the title.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:13 pm OSU over OU all day, as hard as it is for me to say it. Watching that OU/WVU game, there is no way the committee will select such a one-sided team unless there is no other option. Plus I have a strong feeling that their #1 offense is a lot of smoke and mirrors like the "#1 defense" was.
I'm back and forth on OSU vs. OU. While I do think OU's offense is legit, they're just flat out bad defensively. OSU looked like world beaters on Saturday, but they've also looked pretty terrible some weeks, including getting hammered by Purdue and getting lucky to beat Maryland. My tongue is only partially in my cheek when I say that the four team playoff doesn't have enough deserving teams this year.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Wow. Not sure what to think of this tbh...I thought Mack had just kind of lost his passion at the end with Texas; he wasnt hitting the recruiting trail hard(let his asst do most of the work) and they were hand picking guys based on star rankings as opposed to true evaluations. At least that's what all the insane-os at Orangebloods have said(I honestly have no idea if that last part is true or not...I am in no way, shape, or form 'connected' at UT). Maybe his time away from the game has rekindled the fire...? I wish him well. I think if he makes the right hires, ala Kliff Kingsbury from Tech to be his OC and maybe Chizik as his DC they could make a splash in what is a fairly wide open ACC. At least 2nd place is wide open anyway. Should be interesting at any rate.

Also read a rumor today that Leach 'is interested in' the TTU job. :shock: The article then went on to say that multiple 'million $ a year donors were pushing hard for Leach' so not sure if that is just desire on TTU's part and not actual interest from Leach. I think Leach is a great coach and great for the game, I would be head sewn to the carpet surprised however, if he came back to Tech. The administration there just hung him out to dry(admittedly the admin has changed in the past decade).
OR

-Hiccup
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I had heard the rumors about Mack returning to UNC. I think the assumption is that he'll be a CEO type of head coach like with Herm Edwards at ASU (which has, shockingly, not been a complete disaster so far). I can't imagine he's in it for the long haul given his age (he's 67), but I guess UNC would like to reset the baseline.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Not surprisingly, Rashan Gary is declaring for the draft. I hope he plays the bowl game, but would understand if he opts out, especially given his injury history.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GungHo wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:17 pm Also read a rumor today that Leach 'is interested in' the TTU job. :shock: The article then went on to say that multiple 'million $ a year donors were pushing hard for Leach' so not sure if that is just desire on TTU's part and not actual interest from Leach. I think Leach is a great coach and great for the game, I would be head sewn to the carpet surprised however, if he came back to Tech. The administration there just hung him out to dry(admittedly the admin has changed in the past decade).
I'd love to get Leach out of Pullman so Wazzu can sink back to mediocrity.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

USC is keeping Clay Helton. I suspect this is more a function of not having a President, and the Medical School lawsuits, than a desire to keep him.

I'm interested to see who goes to Colorado. One name I've seen thrown out is Jeff Tedford - I expect someone will snap him up this year (sorry Scuzz!).

One intriguing name I haven't heard mentioned much for jobs, but who I think could do well is Neuheisel. He didn't get a good shot when he came back to UCLA (will to fund a good program wasn't there until after he left).

DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

I will be so disappointed if Leach goes back to TTU. I want to see him in the SEC, Florida would be the perfect fit when it opens up again.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:33 pm I will be so disappointed if Leach goes back to TTU. I want to see him in the SEC, Florida would be the perfect fit when it opens up again.
Florida has a great coach right now so I doubt you'll see an opening there anytime soon. Tennessee was ready to hire Leach last year when suddenly Phil Fulmer was brought back in as AD and there was no way in hell he was going put up with someone like Leach. But I'd love to see him in the SEC too, preferably at Auburn after we fire Malzahn next season. :wink: