2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Chrisoc13

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I'm sure that was it. I'm sure it wasn't the winning thing.

One more reason the cheer against Ohio State always. As if they needed much help in that department from me.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Winning had to do with it, no doubt. This is, however, the university that fired Jim Tressel, Jim O'Brien, and Woody Freakin' Hayes for cause, despite them being winners. (Jim O'Brien, BTW, is the one who won the wrongful termination suit.)

Now stop making me quasi-defend OSU. I don't have a shower in the office.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Someone has given the OSU football "wall of values" the Lionel Hutz treatment.

Enlarge Image
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Alabama's released depth chart: QB listed as Tua Tagovailoa / Jalen Hurts. It's subtle, but it's listed like that for a reason. They are co starters but Tua is listed first.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Seems that way, particularly since it's not in alphabetical order, which you think would be the default if there were no ordering.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unless of course, all split/undecided positions are being done in reverse alphabetical/numerical order... and Saban just wants to mess with folks ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

While I'm disappointed, if Kelly doesn't establish discipline right off the bat, he never will, so it's a good, long term sign:
Six UCLA football players are suspended for Saturday’s season opener against Cincinnati, the school announced Monday. Running back Soso Jamabo, tight end Devin Asiasi, defensive linemen Osa Odighizuwa and Moses Robinson-Carr, offensive lineman Boss Tagaloa and defensive back Mo Osling will miss the game due to a violation of athletic department policies.

Jamabo is suspended for two games, while Asiasi and Tagaloa will miss three. The remaining players will just be out for Saturday’s game.

“If you make a decision to hurt your team, you made a decision that’s going to hurt your team. We’ve got to move on,” head coach Chip Kelly said Monday. “They understand what the punishment is and they’ve got to learn from it. … Playing football here at UCLA is a privilege and with that privilege comes responsibility.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Soso, Osa, Moses, Boss, and Mo. How did Devin even make the team. He has neither an O nor an S in his first name. And clearly Mo was a bubble guy.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What happened with the UCLA players? They seem to be making some questionable decisions on players lately, what's going on there?

Also am concerned about the U of M situation where the murderous coach let the player die. How bad do you folks think the coaches really are? Really turns me off to college football.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:12 am What happened with the UCLA players? They seem to be making some questionable decisions on players lately, what's going on there?
I'm not sure it's that uncommon in a new coaching situation. Whether it's players testing boundaries with a new staff or the staff flexing their muscles to show that they run a tight ship (which they will inevitably abandon), it does seem anecdotally that this happens with regime change.
Lorini wrote:Also am concerned about the U of M situation where the murderous coach let the player die. How bad do you folks think the coaches really are? Really turns me off to college football.
To be clear, this is U of Maryland, and not Michigan or Missouri or any other Ms. Durkin did coach a year under Harbaugh at Michigan, though, and also under Urban Meyer (I think during his Florida tenure). There's been some indications that Durkin was a bit of tyrant at Michigan, but hopefully not to the extent that he was at Maryland. There haven't been any stories I've seen about Harbaugh letting that level of abuse go on, and Michigan let Amazon do a documentary about the football team last year with lots of access, so I'm crossing my fingers that we're relatively clean here.

I say relatively because college football is kind of known for the cult of the head coach and having tyrants running things. It's easier for it to happen in college than in the pros for a variety of reasons, and it is unsettling. College football may be ready for its own version of #MeToo with respect to abusive coaches.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:12 am What happened with the UCLA players? They seem to be making some questionable decisions on players lately, what's going on there?

Also am concerned about the U of M situation where the murderous coach let the player die. How bad do you folks think the coaches really are? Really turns me off to college football.
I happened upon a program on ESPN2 about the Alabama preseason camp. They made their players get in an ice bath at the end of practice. Quite a turn around from the movie about Bear Bryant and the Junction Boys, where they weren't even allowed to drink. Football, in most places, has come a long way. But it seems like a couple times a year you hear about a high school or college coach who thinks it is the 1940's. That should be on the administration that puts up with that as much as the coach.
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

While the Big 10 was the best conference last year, I think the SEC has a good chance at becoming the top conference again this year. Having three contenders at the end of the regular season last year was nice, but the conference lacked depth. Now, with excellent hires by Florida and Texas A&M, Mississippi State and South Carolina expecting to do well and of course Alabama, Auburn and Georgia looking good, things might be about to change. We'll see.

While I love the idea of Auburn playing a strong out-of-conference opponent to start the season, Washington, like Clemson last year, is probably a bit too strong. While I believe Auburn has an advantage in talent over Washington, Malzahn isn't in the same league as Petersen, and when you're playing a big game on the first week of the season coaching has even more of an impact than it usually does, IMHO. At least we finish the season with two strong foes (Alabama and Georgia) so maybe we can overcome an early loss. Or two.

Anyway, I'm excited for the start of the new season. Just a few more days!

WAR EAGLE!!!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I was just looking at the schedule for this weekend and the two games that really stood out were the Washington-Auburn and the Michigan-Notre Dame games.
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:28 pm I was just looking at the schedule for this weekend and the two games that really stood out were the Washington-Auburn and the Michigan-Notre Dame games.
Those are the two most interesting, but I'm also looking forward to LSU-Miami and Virginia Tech-Florida State. Not as strong of an opening weekend as the last two seasons.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:28 pm I was just looking at the schedule for this weekend and the two games that really stood out were the Washington-Auburn and the Michigan-Notre Dame games.
FAU-Oklahoma is a sleeper. Lane Kiffin against Mayfield-less OU.
Louisville - Alabama
Miami-LSU
VaTech-FSU

I'll be at the Chip Kelly debut too. Just had my buddy back out of the week 2 UCLA@ OU game, so we may cancel that trip.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I think UW will roll Auburn - in what would otherwise be a very even game, Auburn lost WAY too much on the Offensive Line (4 starting seniors) to field a unit that can match the Huskies defense. I expect turnovers and gaffes aplenty, with UW likely to be at least +2 in turnover differential.

Play that game in November, and it could be different.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:28 pm
I think UW will roll Auburn - in what would otherwise be a very even game, Auburn lost WAY too much on the Offensive Line (4 starting seniors) to field a unit that can match the Huskies defense. I expect turnovers and gaffes aplenty, with UW likely to be at least +2 in turnover differential.

Auburn is a tough, physical, fast team. The problem is that they are traditionally poor performers in the first 3rd of their season. They always come on strong in the last half of the season. Of course they play like a pro football team vs Alabama every year.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:28 pm

I hope UW wins, the P12 sure could use something positive to start the season.

Can’t believe I’ll be sitting at a game tomorrow.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Good news! I planned my wife's birthday dinner for Saturday night - while Michigan is playing at Notre Dame. :doh:

Now the challenge will be to see if I can avoid any spoilers until I'm able to watch the game on tape delay.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:26 pm Good news! I planned my wife's birthday dinner for Saturday night - while Michigan is playing at Notre Dame. :doh:

Now the challenge will be to see if I can avoid any spoilers until I'm able to watch the game on tape delay.
We'll be sure to post constant score updates on OO, per your request!

:twisted:

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:22 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:26 pm Good news! I planned my wife's birthday dinner for Saturday night - while Michigan is playing at Notre Dame. :doh:

We'll be sure to post constant score updates on OO, per your request!

:twisted:
What, you think I'm going to be checking OO during my wife's birthday dinner? At that point, I might as well just try to surreptitiously watch it on my phone like Homer sneaking his transistor radio into church.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I often purposely watch recorded games so I can fast forward through commercials or losing efforts. It helps having family members who only care about UFC and no friends.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 pm
What, you think I'm going to be checking OO during my wife's birthday dinner?
Yes. Yes we do.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:04 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 pm
What, you think I'm going to be checking OO during my wife's birthday dinner?
Yes. Yes we do.
In fact, we're hurt that you even breach the possibility that you won't be checking OO!

:tjg:

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:42 pm I often purposely watch recorded games so I can fast forward through commercials or losing efforts. It helps having family members who only care about UFC and no friends.
I record the UCLA games, and then start them maybe 30 minutes late (if I'm not there), just so I can skip commercials, or fast forward when we fuck up and I can't bear to watch anymore and just need to see if we stopped fucking up!

If there are a couple of games at the same time, I'm pausing one on each tuner, and skipping through the "in-between" play stuff too (16 seconds back, 30 seconds forward usually works, though Chip Kelly's offenses usually screwed that up with how fast they go. For Michigan and Harbaugh, as well as Pro games, I've found that it's usually a full 30 second skip between plays).

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 pmFor Michigan and Harbaugh, as well as Pro games, I've found that it's usually a full 30 second skip between plays).
For the pro games, I switch back and forth between drives. At least that way I get some sense of continuity with what I'm watching, rather than just firehosing football plays into my eye holes. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It's finally game day...GO UTES!!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 am
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 pmFor Michigan and Harbaugh, as well as Pro games, I've found that it's usually a full 30 second skip between plays).
...just firehosing football plays into my eye holes. :)
That's my favorite part.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've gotten very used to watching tape delayed sports in the last four years or so. (Coincidentally enough, the twins are four.) Hurry up offenses are my bane, as they take away my ability to jump to the next play. If you see me hanging on to Harbaugh long after the fan base has abandoned him, that might have something to do with it.

I'd be watching Saturday's game on at least partial tape delay anyway, as it is on during kids' bedtime. Tending to family obligations first has helped my wife (who hates football) to be more tolerant of my watching habits.

[edit]BTW, I'm specifically using the term "tape delay" to tick off the pedants who would point out that tape has nothing to do with it these days.[/edit]
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 am
For the pro games, I switch back and forth between drives. At least that way I get some sense of continuity with what I'm watching, rather than just firehosing football plays into my eye holes. :)
Actually, for the Pro games, I'm far more likely to just have RedZone on, it's just when I decide I want to watch one of the local teams (Niners, Raiders) that I do the firehose process (and sometimes even in RedZone, tho they cut away so often that I have to back up a lot anyway.

I don't really watch the Sunday/Monday night games a whole lot anymore, but they definitely get firehosed when I do...

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:52 pm [edit]BTW, I'm specifically using the term "tape delay" to tick off the pedants who would point out that tape has nothing to do with it these days.[/edit]
Isn't that begging the question?. No wait. Isn't that baiting those would try begging the question... or... something...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:52 pm [edit]BTW, I'm specifically using the term "tape delay" to tick off the pedants who would point out that tape has nothing to do with it these days.[/edit]
Isn't that begging the question?. No wait. Isn't that baiting those would try begging the question... or... something...
Nah, he's just begging us for the score updates!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apollo wrote:While the Big 10 was the best conference last year, I think the SEC has a good chance at becoming the top conference again this year. Having three contenders at the end of the regular season last year was nice, but the conference lacked depth. Now, with excellent hires by Florida and Texas A&M, Mississippi State and South Carolina expecting to do well and of course Alabama, Auburn and Georgia looking good, things might be about to change. We'll see.

While I love the idea of Auburn playing a strong out-of-conference opponent to start the season, Washington, like Clemson last year, is probably a bit too strong. While I believe Auburn has an advantage in talent over Washington, Malzahn isn't in the same league as Petersen, and when you're playing a big game on the first week of the season coaching has even more of an impact than it usually does, IMHO. At least we finish the season with two strong foes (Alabama and Georgia) so maybe we can overcome an early loss. Or two.

Anyway, I'm excited for the start of the new season. Just a few more days!

WAR EAGLE!!!
Any thoughts on the auburn offensive line? As I said, I really don't see them doing well early while replacing so much talent and experience where cohesiveness is so key, but I could definitely be wrong.

As of now, I see it as THE reason auburn will struggle mightily against UW.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Washington's defensive line and secondary will certainly give Auburn trouble, but Auburn's defensive line is considered one of the very best in the country and Auburn has easily their best QB since Cam Newton. However, Petersen is clearly a better coach than Malzahn and I can't remember the last time Auburn beat a ranked opponent on the road. Add to that the fact that it is the first game of the season and I just don't see Auburn winning this one (though I do think they will keep it close).

You can look at matchups until you are blue in the face but to me there is only one matchup that really matters: Malzahn vs Petersen. And that's why Washington wins, IMHO.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apollo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:07 am However, Petersen is clearly a better coach than Malzahn and I can't remember the last time Auburn beat a ranked opponent on the road.
"on the road"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:01 am
Apollo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:07 am However, Petersen is clearly a better coach than Malzahn and I can't remember the last time Auburn beat a ranked opponent on the road.
"on the road"
Where is this game being played? I have seen Washington listed in the "visitors" spot.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Atlanta
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pmAtlanta
Why is it the SEC plays their "neutral" road games in Atlanta? :roll:
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:32 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pmAtlanta
Why is it the SEC plays their "neutral" road games in Atlanta? :roll:
To be fair, sometimes they travel all the way to Dallas.