2018 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: 2018 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Skinypupy »

Lots of rumors flying around today that Mike MacIntyre is out at Colorado, effective at the end of the year. They started 5-0 this year, and have dropped their last 5 (soon to be 6, hopefully) games of the year.

Ouch.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Lots of rumors flying around today that Mike MacIntyre is out at Colorado, effective at the end of the year. They started 5-0 this year, and have dropped their last 5 (soon to be 6, hopefully) games of the year.

Ouch.
Unless there's something off the field going on, this would be dumb, imho. They aren't the same without Shenault, and I think he's a pretty darned good coach.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Multiple news sources in Denver are now saying that he's not fired.

What a mess.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unbelievable...Pac 12 refs strike again. Just ejected Utah's best defender (LB Chase Hansen) for an absolute bullshit targeting call in the first quarter.

It is truly astounding how bad they continue to be over and over and over again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

O! H! ... N! O!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

How was that recovered fumble in the end zone a td for Maryland?? I thought the rule was a fumble going toward the end zone had to be recovered by the fumbler. Was put in place like 50 years ago... Very confusing.

Also when did Ohio state and Maryland join the big 12? These defenses are turrible
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m still wondering how the cameraman was an eligible receiver for the pass interference call.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:42 pm I’m still wondering how the cameraman was an eligible receiver for the pass interference call.
Clearly it's because the most qualified senior citizens with regular full time jobs do their moonlighting in the NFL, which means multi billion dollar a year college football gets the leftovers. But yeah that one was pretty questionable too. Damn entertaining game though
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow Maryland blows it by going for a failed two point conversion in OT. Sets up a nice showdown for Michigan Ohio State next week.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

God, I wanted Urban Meyer and OSU nation to cry. But at the same time, Maryland is pretty despicable too.

Although that RB, wow.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:08 pm God, I wanted Urban Meyer and OSU nation to cry. But at the same time, Maryland is pretty despicable too.

Although that RB, wow.
So why didn't they give it to him on the two point conversion?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:07 pm Wow Maryland blows it by going for a failed two point conversion in OT. Sets up a nice showdown for Michigan Ohio State next week.
OSU is still the same team and Michigan needs to win out regardless so there's no more riding on it. BUT, OSU hopes and dreams are still intact so it will be all the sweeter to crush them.

Assuming Michigan gets past this Indiana trap game.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:12 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:08 pm God, I wanted Urban Meyer and OSU nation to cry. But at the same time, Maryland is pretty despicable too.

Although that RB, wow.
So why didn't they give it to him on the two point conversion?
They dialed up the right play. Just a bungled route it looked like.

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In the Pac 12, this is targeting (Hansen's penalty from today)

but this is not

Both of these calls were reviewed and upheld by P12 officiating crews. Just...horrible. Between the consistently terrible officiating to the lack of a distribution deal with Direct TV, to the horrible broadcasts on the P12 Network, Larry Scott's days better be numbered as commissioner.

Thankfully, it didn't make much difference today and might actually be a benefit since Chase got to rest in what ended up being a blowout for Utah. I'm now a huge Oregon fan tonight. If they beat ASU, Utah takes the P12 South. GO DUCKS (barf)!!

Side note: Someone on one of the Colorado message boards posted the day before the Oregon State game about how great it was for them to shortly be bowl eligible. The post will live in hilarious infamy: Taking a moment to appreciate bowl eligibility.

EDIT: This one wasn't called today either. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Skinypupy on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ha ha 2-8 UCLA beats USC.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That’s a great bright spot in a tough season for UCLA. Pyper’s gotta be at least a little happy.

Just realized that, barring a miracle win over ND, USC won’t even go to a bowl this year. :lol: Wonder if they’ll even let Clay Helton on the bus?

Switched over to WV/OSU. Does anyone in the Big 12 play defense?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oh yeah! The scoreboard shot. Image

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm That’s a great bright spot in a tough season for UCLA. Pyper’s gotta be at least a little happy.

Just realized that, barring a miracle win over ND, USC won’t even go to a bowl this year. :lol: Wonder if they’ll even let Clay Helton on the bus?

Switched over to WV/OSU. Does anyone in the Big 12 play defense?

Yeah SC isn't very good this year but they had a MASH unit of injuries and they'll reload this off-season. I think Helton gets another year. But if they lose by 40 to ND(which is absolutely possible) all bets are off.

The Big 12 is definitely a 'defense optional' league but man it makes for exciting games. Frustrating as well as a fan whose team can't ever close out a game unless we score a td with less than 0:20 left, but yeah, exciting. 😁

This is the spot on the calendar when my oldest and I make our annual trip to Austin to take in a football weekend. It's fun seeing the transition of him going from wild eyed 5 year old just running around, excited to get a new t-shirt to an 8yo beginning to understand down and distance, spotting penalty flags, and asking nuanced questions about how the time clock works. Or he might have just been counting down the time until we were going to get hot dogs..but still it's fun. And he loves seeing that tower in orange

OR

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

THANK YOU OREGON!!

With their win over ASU, Utah takes the P12 South for the first time. Unthinkable two weeks ago. Woo hoo!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Gratz man! How many years in the Pac 12?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is Utah’s 8th year in the P12.

Before last night, we were the only team in the South to not have won the division since it split in 2011. That cloud had been hanging over Utah’s head for a long time, glad it’s finally gone. :)
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

CU in the market for a head coach.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Xmann wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:15 pm CU in the market for a head coach.
And Les Miles is in at....Kansas..? I've never thought much of miles' in-game coaching ability but he's a heckuva recruiter. But I don't know that anyone can recruit at Kansas. Though I'm sure the same things were said 30 years ago about Kstate and Snyder obviously has done pretty well there. Just kind of surprised a NC winning coach would take the KU gig. That is a big mountain to climb
OR

-Hiccup
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:This is Utah’s 8th year in the P12.

Before last night, we were the only team in the South to not have won the division since it split in 2011. That cloud had been hanging over Utah’s head for a long time, glad it’s finally gone. :)
Congrats!

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In news about how low one school can go to keep its bowl streak alive:

Tech will pay Marshall $1.4 million for this game, regardless of whether or not it is played.

My alma mater makes me sad.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Marshall has a decent team this year, they probably think they would get beat.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:14 pm Assuming Michigan gets past this Indiana trap game.
That was a little too close for comfort. For being a team that Michigan hasn't lost to since 1986 (and hasn't lost to in Ann Arbor since 1967), Indiana sure does seem to give Michigan fits. The key was to avoid injury, and the jury is still out. It looked bad for Winovich after he took a cheap shot from an Indiana OL (which was likely retaliation for Winovich cheap-shotting the OL by stepping on his leg earlier, but let's not let facts get in the way of online outrage), but x-rays were negative. The hope is he'll be able to play on Saturday. He's a key part of that defense. The other defensive guys who went down all appear to have been cramping (WTF is up with that in cool weather in game 11?), so we should be healthy if Winovich can go. There was a scary moment when a special team player got blown up on a targeting hit and was down on the field for probably 15 minutes before they immobilized him and carted him off, but he's supposedly got feeling and movement (and a nasty concussion).

Go Blue!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh man, pretty sure UCF’s star QB just Theismanned his leg. It was bad enough that they’ve decided not to show the replay at all "out of respect". As he was lying on the ground, his foot looked to be turned nearly 180 degrees the wrong direction after he got hit.

Awful, awful. :(
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:17 pm Oh man, pretty sure UCF’s star QB just Theismanned his leg. It was bad enough that they’ve decided not to show the replay at all "out of respect". As he was lying on the ground, his foot looked to be turned nearly 180 degrees the wrong direction after he got hit.

Awful, awful. :(
Yeah that sucks. Feel for the kid.

This Oklahoma WVU game is just silly. There is no doubt a ton of offensive talent on these 2 teams but these defenses are pathetic.

That Wazzou u dub game is awesome however. Not necessarily the game though it's not bad but the snow is greatness.

Edit : Lmao and as I'm hitting send WVU rips off a 70 yard run
OR

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don’t ever want to hear someone bitch about the Pac12 not playing defense again. The Big 12 is just stupid bad on that side of the ball.

Feel a little bad for Wazzu, as that blizzard was kryptonite for one of the the best offenses in the country.

Utah gets Washington in the P12 title game next week. Not sure I give us much of a chance, as Petersen has Whit’s number something fierce, and that UW defense is pretty nasty. Still, we played them pretty close earlier in the year, and I’m sure our D will be looking for some payback. Myles Gaskins has been a thorn in Utah’s side for 4 years now, and I hope that changes next week.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GungHo wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:17 am

This Oklahoma WVU game is just silly. There is no doubt a ton of offensive talent on these 2 teams but these defenses are pathetic.

That game was stupid. Stupid fun.

Continuing to block 5 yards out of bounds may have cost the WVU the game.

Trying to get to sleep, have to take the kid to the new Wreck it Ralph movie at 8am so I can be back in time to watch The Game. Not likely to get a spot in a bar though.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The apple cup was a ton of fun to watch. I love snow games (on TV at least - I've never been to one live, tho I did go to a sleet game once, which was pretty miserable, but it was Nebraska - Colorado over Thanksgiving with a berth in the big 12 championship on the line).

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:22 am The apple cup was a ton of fun to watch. I love snow games (on TV at least - I've never been to one live, tho I did go to a sleet game once, which was pretty miserable, but it was Nebraska - Colorado over Thanksgiving with a berth in the big 12 championship on the line).
In some of the shots I've seen (didn't watch it live) it looked like they superimposed the yard lines and hashmarks on TV, similar to how they do the first down line. I did not like it, not at all, and would hate if that was the new standard for snow games.

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looks like things might be dire for UCF QB
UCF Football nor Tampa General Hospital has updated Milton's status as of Saturday morning, but there are several reports indicating the quarterback had emergency surgery.

Orthopedic surgeon David J. Chao, who worked in the NFL for nearly two decades, says video of the injury confirmed a severe dislocation and perhaps a more alarming situation.

"Likely emergency surgery to "save" his leg comes next as artery likely disrupted," Chao tweeted late Friday night. "This is a Zach Miller Chicago Bears situation. Wish this athlete the best but any NFL dreams are likely over."
:(
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That sucks. Hopefully like Zach Miller he keeps the leg even if he never plays football again.

MYT
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 am
GungHo wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:17 am

That game was stupid. Stupid fun.

Continuing to block 5 yards out of bounds may have cost the WVU the game.

Trying to get to sleep, have to take the kid to the new Wreck it Ralph movie at 8am so I can be back in time to watch The Game. Not likely to get a spot in a bar though.

I feel like it was more like 15 yards out of bounds...and apparently WVU had been warned about it previously. But yeah even with the bad TOs and the usual Holgerson foolishness WVU still could have had that game. Suspect they'll be losing some sleep in Morgantown for awhile over this game.

I can't imagine what the scene is like all across the Midwest this am for The Game. That would be a great College Football Experience to be there today. Enjoy it. I hope Michigan wins
OR

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

How the hell was that not called as targeting? QB is in the process of sliding, and the LB drills him helmet-to-helmet. I don’t blame Urban for going nuts. This rule and the way it is enforced game to game is so goddamn infuriating. We’ve had multiple defenders ejected for doing far less this year, yet they don’t even review that play.

On topic, Michigan is in some serious trouble here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Michigan is in trouble. With Washington State losing, I wonder if an Ohio State victory gets them into the final four.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 am
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:22 am The apple cup was a ton of fun to watch. I love snow games (on TV at least - I've never been to one live, tho I did go to a sleet game once, which was pretty miserable, but it was Nebraska - Colorado over Thanksgiving with a berth in the big 12 championship on the line).
In some of the shots I've seen (didn't watch it live) it looked like they superimposed the yard lines and hashmarks on TV, similar to how they do the first down line. I did not like it, not at all, and would hate if that was the new standard for snow games.
They did. Pretty cool tech, but I'm not sure if i like it all the time .

Funny thing is, they screwed it up at least once and you could see it toggle back and forth

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Michigan lookin' good!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter