Driver Uber Alles

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Driver Uber Alles

Post by Jaymann »

So I decided to try out being am Uber driver. Let me say right up front IMO it is not a viable way to make a living, but it is theoretically possible. For me, since I am mostly retired, it is something to piddle around with and earn a little extra scratch on the side. It really only works for me with an electric car and a built in navigation system.

It is very easy to sign up. You just need a decent car, a smartphone, get a background check and a vehicle inspection, and give them your banking info. You can accept or decline requested rides. I usually hang around at a coffee shop until something clicks. I am a morning person so I try to avoid rush hour and drunks. Your mileage may vary (literally).
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Re: Driver Uber Alles

Post by pr0ner »

How much do they *really* pay? That's what I've always wondered about Uber.
Hodor.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Promise us that you'll NEVER call it ride-sharing
Ain't nobody got time for that
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

doesn't Lyft treat their drivers better?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have seen tax returns for self described Uber drivers who have made $30-40k. Most will file a schedule C and following what I can only assume is Uber's guidelines they expense the hell out of their Ubering and drop that income down to a pretty small profit. They do have to pay SE tax though on any profit.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:10 pm How much do they *really* pay? That's what I've always wondered about Uber.
For me it averages about $10/hr including down time. BEFORE taxes. But I am not really gung ho.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am You can accept or decline requested rides.
Ah, so if I were to start using assumed names, you're saying I might be able to get them to start picking me up again?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:48 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am You can accept or decline requested rides.
Ah, so if I were to start using assumed names, you're saying I might be able to get them to start picking me up again?
They log phone information, so you're going to need burners.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, thanks for the info. I'm gonna be the Walter White of ride sharing!
Covfefe!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

A friends of mines son went to Cal State Monterey Bay and in his spare time was an Uber driver. He would even venture up into the Bay Area from time to time. He made some pretty good money.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

An aside:

I live in a large city, and I see Uber and Lyft decals on cars *everywhere* now. I assume this means that many, many people are enrolling as drivers and making themselves available. Presumably they're not all working at it all the time, and anecdotally it seems that most of the cars carry just the driver.

My question: how has the new driver-gig economy (and other small-parcel gig work) affected employment statistics? Do the numbers pro-rate for very-part-time work as opposed to full-time jobs?

In other words: unemployment is down, but how much do recent gains reflect real living-wage employment vs. just a few hours a week of contract work?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Gross income reported counts against gross UI benefit. The real question is whether Uber et al report earnings to unemployment. If they don't, then it's a matter of your honesty.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read somewhere recently that the gig economy "employs" around 700,000 people, which is not enough to budge any leading indicators.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A friend of mine is a "full time" Uber driver. I was out with him and his family the other day and his wife was dismissive of his financial contribution to his family.

This guy has a degree in engineering but hasn't worked in that field since about the time his wife came to this country. She may be somewhat rather quite a bit extremely bitter.
Black Lives Matter