People of the Rockies, lend me your ears

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Gryndyl

People of the Rockies, lend me your ears

Post by Gryndyl »

We're embarking on one of those classic American road trips in a few weeks and are going to be wending our way through South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. We've got Devil's Tower, Deadwood, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Crystal Caves, Wall Drug, Badlands and Rocky Mountain NPs, Reptile Gardens and Kosmos on the itinerary. Think there's also a presidential wax museum, a national grassland, a mammoth dig, some cliff dwellings and a gold mine mixed in there somewhere also. The GF does the planning and I've lost track. She has an actual spreadsheet.

In any case, we're covering enough landscape that I figure there are people hereabouts familiar with some of the vicinities we'll be traversing. If you have recommendations for or against restaurants or attractions along the way, want to buy us beer as we drive by or want an autographed book ( :shifty: ) I'd love to get some inside scoops for the trip.

We're traversing Washington, Idaho and Montana on the way out and coming back via Utah, Idaho and Oregon. We will be frozen into the positions of our car seats by the end of it. :horse:
LordMortis

Re: People of the Rockies, lend me your ears

Post by LordMortis »

As a tourist who once was going to move to Boulder, I would (and have) visit the Great Sand dunes, Red Rocks/Garden of the Gods, and Estes Park. Aside from the experience of just driving through the Rockies I think the natural bits wonder were the biggest impression leavers. Beyond that if it was still the 80s, I'd say head to Central City/Blackhawk for a fun anachronism in gambling, but I think they let that anachronism die in the last 25 years.

I remember visiting some of the old Puebla villages and was very saddened by them. So many of us had been through over the years that the carvings had all worn to be almost a varnish.

Also, it's hard to explain but on the Colorado/Wyoming border, 1) you can't get a good steak 2) there is nothing quite like watching the prairie dogs en masse at sunset.

I once did a month long trip similar to what you did but Bamph, The Black Hills, Rushmore, the Badlands were all on the drive back and we were a bit worn out (mostly with each other) about a little under four weeks in to the trip and cut all that short.

I think my best bits of natural wonder from that trip were Joshua Tree and Bryce Canyon but that's a long ways southwest of your list.

If I had the energy, I'd envy you the ability to get away. There is just so much to relax and experience when you make the time and can afford the leisure and it's hard to shove so much experience into so much travel.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have driven the Oregon-Washington coastline a few times and it is beautiful. Parts are kinda touristy now but there is some good food and interesting stops along the way.

I haven't been to eastern oregon, but I have driven the freeway from western Idaho to Portland and that is a nice drive, with some interesting scenery.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Craters of the Moon National Monument is in Idaho. It's what's left of a very old volcanic eruption, so lots of volcanic rock, some lava tubes and odd hills.
I remember thinking it was really cool as a kid when my brother and I did a similar trip with our grandparents.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:13 pm Craters of the Moon National Monument is in Idaho. It's what's left of a very old volcanic eruption, so lots of volcanic rock, some lava tubes and odd hills.
I remember thinking it was really cool as a kid when my brother and I did a similar trip with our grandparents.
There is a state park I believe north of Flagstaff Arizona that is like that. A very strange and foreign landscape.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm not from the Rockies, but I've been to most on your list. Walldrug is kind of neat, but its novelty wears out quickly. Very much a novelty tourist spot with odd hours. I'd say, the best thing going for it are the constant signs you see while driving SD. I'm not sure it's something I would recommend going out of your way for, unless it's already part of your route. Beyond the overpriced shopping, there really isn't much going for it. A much more fun place would be Pioneer Auto in Murdo SD, if you're a fan of cars.

Kind of hard to miss along the route to the Badlands as you'll see some interesting advertisments for it in the form of upended old firetrucks, there's a rather good brewpub in Rapid City SD called Firehouse Brewpub, built out of an old firehouse. We stopped there after a long day of driving and it was pretty great.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Depending on what you like, there are some excellent restaurants in the Broomfield area. Probably downtown Denver as well, but I don't get out much, so I can't speak to those. :)

I would love an autographed copy of one of the books. Of course, if you sign the Kindle, it might make it tough to read any other books on it.

But I'd be happy to buy you a drink if you make it to this very specific neck of the local woods.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I would highly recommend a GTG with The Mix, Gilraen, The Meal, MHS, Zaxxon, and any other miscreants they can muster (where the hell has Spacelord been?). There are many reasons I'd like to get back to Denver one of these days, but the most important is to hang with that motley crew again.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wasn't that down in Golden? I thought about including Golden. For the record, I'd drive down there for dinner as well. The couple of places that I've eaten there (or maybe it's been the same place?) were very good.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We did Golden and Longmont when I was there (IIRC, had to meet with Zax separately).
Black Lives Matter
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:13 pm Craters of the Moon National Monument is in Idaho. It's what's left of a very old volcanic eruption, so lots of volcanic rock, some lava tubes and odd hills.
We did Craters of the Moon as part of last year's trip to Yellowstone. I know that at one point this summer's itinerary had us driving past it again but that may not be the case anymore. It was interesting enough that I used it as landscape inspiration for a scene in book 3 :D
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TheMix wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:38 pm Depending on what you like, there are some excellent restaurants in the Broomfield area. Probably downtown Denver as well, but I don't get out much, so I can't speak to those. :)

I would love an autographed copy of one of the books. Of course, if you sign the Kindle, it might make it tough to read any other books on it.

But I'd be happy to buy you a drink if you make it to this very specific neck of the local woods.
I think our itinerary around Denver is to come in from the North (Cheyenne, I think), do something involving RMNP and then end up in Colorado Springs for the night to see cliff dwellings and garden of the gods. There's a place called "Crave Burgers" that looks to be the intended dinner spot.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Also, if it's an option, take a drive through the Air Force Academy if you can swing it. It is an incredibly beautiful campus, and their Chapel should be considered a National Treasure.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Sounds like an incredible trip! Good luck.

For the South Dakota portion, if the Crystal Cave you mention is Crystal Cave Park in South Dakota, I’m pretty sure that closed a few years ago. Though it may have reopened by now. If it is closed, there are a lot of other gorgeous caves in the Black Hills. If it’s one of the 300 other Crystal Caves, you can safely ignore this :)

Needles Highway is a lot of fun driving. It’s twisty with a few tiny tunnels cut through rock. Parts of it are not far from Crazy Horse Monument if I remember correctly.

A lot of the Black Hills is tourist traps, but those can be fun too. Reptile Gardens is best experienced with someone afraid of snakes :D

The South Dakota Badlands are incredible. If you get away from people, it’s so open and quiet not even the plains can compare, while the scenery feels like another world. And in the darkness it’s another new world. There is very little like it that I’ve seen, but I do have a bias.

The short time we lived in Colorado we took up hiking. Just before we moved we finally made it to the Rocky Mountain NP near Estes. I regret that it took us so long. Just absolutely spectacular. We walked up to Loch Vale, but I suspect any trail is going to be worth the time.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:17 pm

The South Dakota Badlands are incredible. If you get away from people, it’s so open and quiet not even the plains can compare, while the scenery feels like another world. And in the darkness it’s another new world. There is very little like it that I’ve seen, but I do have a bias.

There are a lot of spots we're hitting on this trip that are going to be places I wish we could spend a few days at instead of a few hours. Badlands is certainly going to be one of those.
Enough

Post by Enough »

The cliff dwellings in Manitou/CO Springs were constructed for the attraction in the early 1900s from an actual collapsed structure in the four corners area that was hauled to the site and built in the style of still standing dwellings around Mesa Verde NP. An interesting visit, but if you are going to Mesa Verde anyways, you could skip. A fun cheap activity in those parts is to wander Manitou's downtown which has some really cool old-timey arcades and if you look you can find public fountains bubbling up the mineral water the city is famous for. What we like to do is to fill some containers with the free mineral water, grab some lemonade concentrate at a grocery and go enjoy some gourmet beverages over sunset at Garden of the Gods. Agreed on USAFA, the chapel is an architectural icon.

We are in Fort Collins, a major birthplace for the craft beer movement and home to some of the best around. If you all want to hook up when you are in the area, maybe we could set something up. Another idea is to meet at Oskar Blues microbrewery in Lyons (on the way to RMNP) which would also be closer to other CO-oo-ers. Great location and if you like pinball, its right next to one of the best pinball halls in the USA (Lyon's Classic Pinball with over 35 tables in fantastic condition).
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Gryndyl wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 amI think our itinerary around Denver is to come in from the North (Cheyenne, I think), do something involving RMNP and then end up in Colorado Springs for the night to see cliff dwellings and garden of the gods. There's a place called "Crave Burgers" that looks to be the intended dinner spot.
It's probably too far out of your way but the Royal Gorge bridge was pretty spectacular when I was out there. You can see it on Google maps, but of course photos don't really do it justice. In fact, out of my Colorado Springs area visit, that bridge is what sticks in my mind the most.
Enough

Post by Enough »

gameoverman wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:05 pm
Gryndyl wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 amI think our itinerary around Denver is to come in from the North (Cheyenne, I think), do something involving RMNP and then end up in Colorado Springs for the night to see cliff dwellings and garden of the gods. There's a place called "Crave Burgers" that looks to be the intended dinner spot.
It's probably too far out of your way but the Royal Gorge bridge was pretty spectacular when I was out there. You can see it on Google maps, but of course photos don't really do it justice. In fact, out of my Colorado Springs area visit, that bridge is what sticks in my mind the most.
And you can scoot to the the land of 14er mountains (Collegiate Peaks) from there easily, aka South Park. If you like hot springs this area is kick ass as well and the the Sand Dunes are not terribly far off. I can see retiring to Salida or Buena Vista some day. Crestone is a bee-hive of counter-culture and a model to the world for religious harmony with multiple religions ranging from Buddhist to Christian having set up retreats in the area (and a famous clothing optional natural hot springs surprisingly with resident fireflies that use the warmth of the pools to survive at a ridiculous altitude for the species). Head out of the area towards your next destination over one of the many gorgeous mountain passes like Independence or Cottonwood Passes.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've gone white water rafting and mountain biking several times in the Salida/Buena Vista area...I second the motion that it's worth a visit.
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

I think that is where they filmed the Moon landing videos, right? :ninja:
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

So, for the record, we'll be hitting Crave Burgers in Colorado Springs on the 7th sometime around 7 PM. If anyone feels so inclined you are more than welcome to join us. Note that the 7 o'clock time is a wild-ass guess.

I look like this.
mori

Post by mori »

Little Big Horn battlefield is right off I-90 on your way to Wyoming and South Dakota. As others have mentioned. Many South Dakota residents have made a living running tourist traps. Unless you really want the bumper sticker, I would not travel to Wall just to visit Wall Drug. There are a few tiny breweries scattered around the Black Hills. Have not been to any of them so cannot tell you if any are worth visiting.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Gryndyl wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:14 pm So, for the record, we'll be hitting Crave Burgers in Colorado Springs on the 7th sometime around 7 PM. If anyone feels so inclined you are more than welcome to join us. Note that the 7 o'clock time is a wild-ass guess.

I look like this.
TheMix and I would be interested in meeting up with you in Colorado Springs. We are about an hour and half away, but we will probably drive down there early and do something during the day. So we can figure out a way to get in touch when you guys are ready to head down to the restaurant.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

gilraen wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:15 pm
Gryndyl wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:14 pm So, for the record, we'll be hitting Crave Burgers in Colorado Springs on the 7th sometime around 7 PM. If anyone feels so inclined you are more than welcome to join us. Note that the 7 o'clock time is a wild-ass guess.

I look like this.
TheMix and I would be interested in meeting up with you in Colorado Springs. We are about an hour and half away, but we will probably drive down there early and do something during the day. So we can figure out a way to get in touch when you guys are ready to head down to the restaurant.
We came, we saw, we ate amazing burgers. Was great meeting you guys!

Now we're off to drive 9 hours to Utah on purpose. Hopefully the only day in my life that I'll have that as my agenda. :?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

We had a good day. Drove down to Colorado Springs with the top down and enjoyed the sun (though not the traffic). Wandered around Garden of the Gods for a bit (gilraen had never been). Then killed some time at a book store before heading to the restaurant.

We were lucky that the hostess sat Gryndyl and Co. at the booth behind us. And that gilraen was paying enough attention to go "I think that may be him".

Food was really good. They serve some crazy combinations there. I was disappointed that I could only try one. :(

So good food and good conversation. We had a terrific time.

We forgot to grab any pictures, but I did get to snag autographed copies of the Dungeoneers books.

Thanks for dropping by, Gryndyl! Hope you enjoyed your stop at Garden of the Gods (and hope it wasn't too over-shadowed by the subsequent drive).

Black Lives Matter

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

We did enjoy Garden of the Gods but, yeah, the drive today was pretty grueling. We're in nowheresville Utah now playing spot the mormon.