Anyone ever ship a car cross country?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stimpy

Anyone ever ship a car cross country?

Post by stimpy »

My daughter is moving from Chicago to Vegas and she and her husband don't want to drive 2 cars.
Anyone have a place they've used and can recommend?
A lot of places seem to be brokers that bid it out.
We already got a quote and had the company tell us they couldn't guarantee the price until delivery.
Uh.....yeah.....no. Want a price upfront.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Re: Anyone ever ship a car cross country?

Post by coopasonic »

I was thinking of offering to do it for $1000 but then thought about airfare and time and, not worth it. I'd do $1500.

The one time we were in that situation I donated one of the cars to charity rather than pay to have it shipped.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 am I was thinking of offering to do it for $1000 but then thought about airfare and time and, not worth it. I'd do $1500.

The one time we were in that situation I donated one of the cars to charity rather than pay to have it shipped.
I told her to sell it and buy another car out there, but she just put a lot of money into it that she wouldn't recoup.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

In 2000, my brother bought my car and shipped it from FL -> CA. I can't remember if it was $700 or $1100, but it was one or the other. Took like a week-10 days. They didn't guarantee a delivery. A big car carrier arrived and I loaded it on and then it went off across country stopping along the way for other cars.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I understand that they don't want to drive two cars, but the obvious solution here is for them to do an elaborate "Amazing Race" setup where the first person to get there wins, but they also have to complete various "challenges" en route.
Black Lives Matter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

About 20+ years ago when I moved to California from Texas, I had a good car back then and I thought about bringing it along. I was told there's a guy, who enjoyed driving and **** can drive the car to California for me for about $700 plus $150 to fly back (something about he had a ton of frequent flier miles), you know friend of a friend. In the end, I sold the car to my mom's preacher's daughter (in Texas), after I was told that in order to register in California I have to pay like extra tax on it due to it not being a CA legal car. :-P
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Brian

Post by Brian »

I bought a car from a guy in Maine and had it shipped to me in Phoenix (Mesa).

Cost me $1200 and yeah, I had to go through a broker who then bid it out.

Overall it was a relatively easy experience except the broker failed to inform me that it was cash only on delivery. So I had to go with the truck driver to the bank and withdraw the cash.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have a friend of the family that apparently gets hired to drive cars for people across the country. I think he regularly makes trips up and down the east coast. I don't know if he's in business for himself or he works for a larger agency. Probably not helpful, but I figured I'd mention it. Not sure what the cost is vs shipping either, but it sounds like a cool job.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
DD*

Post by DD* »

These guys seem to be more collector car than everyday sedan, but might be worth a look:

https://reliable-carriers.com/

Google seems to say there are a lot of companies that do this sort of thing...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

She ended up booking with Allied Auto Shippers.
Will report back on how it goes.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stimpy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:49 pm She ended up booking with Allied Auto Shippers.
Will report back on how it goes.
Boooooo!!! Amazing race redo!
Black Lives Matter.