RIP Charles Krauthammer

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rip

RIP Charles Krauthammer

Post by Rip »

We knew it was coming.

He overcame so much yet refused to let his misfortune define him.

Hope you get to spend a lot of time strolling around heaven.
RunningMn9

Re: RIP Charles Krauthammer

Post by RunningMn9 »

Krauthammer was a seriously smart dude. I generally found him to be reasonable even when we didn't agree.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That is a seriously badass name.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Krauthammer is being praised as a very decent man of great personal qualities, and on that I'll take the word of people who knew him. He was liked and respected, including by opponents. He overcome great health challenges and was a success against terrific odds, and his persistence is an inspiration.

As a pundit, though, he was (like so many other conservatives in his mode) disastrously wrong.

He predicted that Afghanistan would be easy and declared that Iraq would be a "three-week war."

He flirted with critiquing Trump but tried to walk a wary middle line between Republican factions, meanwhile never missing an opportunity to blast Obama or Clinton as extreme.

Most of all, he was dedicated to the Paul-Ryan-style politics of gutting government for all in the service of the wealthiest 1%.

(Apologies if this is R&P, but Krauthammer's career was 100% politics.)

[EDIT: I've decided to strike through the R&P content, which is needlessly contrarian to the spirit of Rip's original post.]
Last edited by Holman on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 pm Krauthammer is being praised as a very decent man of great personal qualities, and on that I'll take the word of people who knew him. He was liked and respected, including by opponents. He overcome great health challenges and was a success against terrific odds, and his persistence is an inspiration.

As a pundit, though, he was (like so many other conservatives in his mode) disastrously wrong.

He predicted that Afghanistan would be easy and declared that Iraq would be a "three-week war."

He flirted with critiquing Trump but tried to walk a wary middle line between Republican factions, meanwhile never missing an opportunity to blast Obama or Clinton as extreme.

Most of all, he was dedicated to the Paul-Ryan-style politics of gutting government for all in the service of the wealthiest 1%.

(Apologies if this is R&P, but Krauthammer's career was 100% politics.)
To be fair,

“This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an 11-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about 10 years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied.” ~Charles Krauthammer
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Enough wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:34 pm To be fair,

“This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an 11-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about 10 years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied.” ~Charles Krauthammer
I'm glad you found something that will keep y'all from spitting on Charles Krauthammer's grave. It would be nice to rest in peace without spittle, but it would keep the grass green on the plot I guess. :roll:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

em2nought wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm glad you found something that will keep y'all from spitting on Charles Krauthammer's grave. It would be nice to rest in peace without spittle, but it would keep the grass green on the plot I guess. :roll:
I would imagine an engaged and committed pundit could handle people discussing his positions after he's gone.

Now run along. Don't you have whole classes of people to insult or something?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 pm Now run along. Don't you have whole classes of people to insult or something?
Don't underestimate me, there's a whole planet of people out there. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Enough

Post by Enough »

em2nought wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm

What is your malfunction? I greatly miss the days of having interesting intellectuals on the right and his passing is a loss for political discourse. I may not agree with everything someone like him or say WF Buckley expressed but I greatly appreciated their intellect and careful communication. I really miss having that on the right these days with folks like you, the Russian trolls and FOX carrying the mantle. Enjoy your populist bumper sticker mentality.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll just point out that there have been other trolls that we put up with for years that eventually just wore out their welcome. Either you care to keep posting here, or you don't. If you care, please contribute literally anything that is not antagonistic. If you don't care, well, feel free to continue as you have been.

I don't care how persecuted, angry or combative you feel. That does not give you the right to continually shit on my internet home.

Smarten up.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Mr. Krauthammer was on my fantasy list of dinner guests. He will probably get better conversation in the next life than he would get at my board, but my imaginary discussions will be the poorer for his absence. I'm not sure how he would have gotten along with Stpehen Fry anyway.