I am Hospitalized!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: I am Hospitalized!

Post by Jaymann »

Glad you are back at home. Get better soon!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Thankfully I have a wife that fully supports bringing me soup and propping me in front of my computer when I'm ill. Marrying a fellow gamer was the best decision ever.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:55 pm Thankfully I have a wife that fully supports bringing me soup and propping me in front of my computer when I'm ill. Marrying a fellow gamer was the best decision ever.
I was sold a false bill of goods! :P My wife started as a gamer with me, but rapidly fell out of favor with it. Now I'm lucky to get her to play something with me for an hour or so every 6 months. She told me all about how she used to play LAN games endlessly just a few years before we met, but simply lost track of that crowd when she moved.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:55 pm Thankfully I have a wife that fully supports bringing me soup and propping me in front of my computer when I'm ill. Marrying a fellow gamer was the best decision ever.
I read propping as grop(p)ing (thought you had a typo). I was very happy for you for a while there.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife and my schedule barely overlap in terms of conscious non-work time. She currently is putting in hours upon hours of Conan every night.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:49 pm
I read propping as grop(p)ing (thought you had a typo). I was very happy for you for a while there.
No comment.

:ninja:
Holman

Post by Holman »

I can't believe I didn't note this in my original posts: who here has had a urinary catheter?

This was probably the worst thing about the whole experience. They inserted a catheter during surgery to deflate my bladder. I never saw it or felt it as I was unconscious the whole time. But I will never forget it, and I will never forgive.

But the first few times I tried to urinate after the catheter were perhaps the single most intense moments of pain of my life. It feels like someone is sliding a scalpel all the way up your urethra, and the pain only increases with the counter-pressure of the urine leaving the bladder. Holding the pee hurts (you've been on an IV for more than a day, and you contain a lot of fluid); not holding the pee is unbearable.

On my first attempt I actually screamed. After that, I realized that that the only way to pee was to roll up a washcloth and bite down hard on it while letting go. I was like a Civil War soldier having his leg sawn off.

I went through that three times before peeing began to feel tolerable. Even days later I'm a little pee-shy just from the memory.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ok, So I just curled into a tight ball on my chair.
Thanks.
:)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Did they ever find out what the problem was? I might have missed it, but last thing I read about an actual diagnosis, you said the doctors did not know.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I once had a catheter put in while awake, not anesthetized, and with no 'lube.' It is the only time in my life I have ever screamed from pain, and I've been in a lot of pain.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope they dont catheter me for my kidney surgery when I do go. I read about the surgery once and dont plan to ever do that again.

As for wife I musta lucked out. Mine never nags me, worries about me, and has bought me games and told me to do stuff another day and to just sit and play my games.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 am Did they ever find out what the problem was? I might have missed it, but last thing I read about an actual diagnosis, you said the doctors did not know.
Not yet. The lymph node biopsy might take another week.

Best and most likely case is that I was attacked by a vicious virus. I'm definitely hoping that's it.

I'm kind of only now realizing how bad the situation was. The issues around blood flow were about to start killing my intestine. This is case where pain was definitely a warning.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I had a catheter during surgery once and while I remember a bit of a burning sensation the first few times I peed afterwards, I don’t remember it a the searing, unbearable pain you describe. But maybe, having passing a few kidney stones, I have experienced much worse pain in that area than catheter pain...
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:08 am I can't believe I didn't note this in my original posts: who here has had a urinary catheter?

This was probably the worst thing about the whole experience. They inserted a catheter during surgery to deflate my bladder. I never saw it or felt it as I was unconscious the whole time. But I will never forget it, and I will never forgive.

But the first few times I tried to urinate after the catheter were perhaps the single most intense moments of pain of my life. It feels like someone is sliding a scalpel all the way up your urethra, and the pain only increases with the counter-pressure of the urine leaving the bladder. Holding the pee hurts (you've been on an IV for more than a day, and you contain a lot of fluid); not holding the pee is unbearable.

On my first attempt I actually screamed. After that, I realized that that the only way to pee was to roll up a washcloth and bite down hard on it while letting go. I was like a Civil War soldier having his leg sawn off.

I went through that three times before peeing began to feel tolerable. Even days later I'm a little pee-shy just from the memory.
:shock:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lady friends have told me that peeing with a Urinary Tract Infection can feel similar.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I had a broken ankle once and, when visiting me, someone grabbed my foot in a 'comforting' gesture. Instant scream, since it was still in the don't touch phase of recovery. I can imagine the screaming pee.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kinda sounds like a punk band name..The Screaming Pee.

Post by Default »

Ouch, Holman. <cringe>
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
DD*

Post by DD* »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:08 am I can't believe I didn't note this in my original posts: who here has had a urinary catheter?

I've had one several times (a "foley" (sp?) catheter) and I've never had an experience like that. Really don't even know it is there. I've had some discomfort when they are putting it in or taking it out, but really it has been minor. Not sure if I'm just lucky or what...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg

Post by Default »

DD* wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:11 pm

I've had one several times (a "foley" (sp?) catheter) and I've never had an experience like that. Really don't even know it is there. I've had some discomfort when they are putting it in or taking it out, but really it has been minor. Not sure if I'm just lucky or what...
#extralargeurethra
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Hmm, yeah, I don't know my catheter lingo, but I similarly had a catheter put in during surgery, but however it was done, it just constantly drained my bladder without me having to think about it. Pulling out the catheter was awkward since a cute nurse I didn't really know had to grab my junk to do it, and it felt like I was about to pee all over her as it happened.

Worse though was when they pulled out the tube they had inserted into my abdomen that sucked the blood away from my incision... the nurse just grabbed it and pulled, and it felt like she had reached into my body, grabbed my balls from the inside, and yanked them out through my stomach. :o
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Damn, I ain't never going to no hospital. :o

I saw my dad with a catheter many times and he never mentioned any intense pain, but then I never asked. :|
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

New light to the Cath Cowboy.

I live in fear of medical issues because I don't want to be in intense pain that I have to knowingly agree to beforehand. I had shakes and cold sweat before letting them pull a wisdom tooth, which ended up being a complete non-event - and everyone TOLD me it was a non-event.
Black Lives Matter

Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 pm New light to the Cath Cowboy.

I live in fear of medical issues because I don't want to be in intense pain that I have to knowingly agree to beforehand. I had shakes and cold sweat before letting them pull a wisdom tooth, which ended up being a complete non-event - and everyone TOLD me it was a non-event.

So much for being a pain god......
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rip wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:16 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 pm New light to the Cath Cowboy.

So much for being a pain god......
Yeah, I suppose. I've always considered "Surprise Pain" to be interesting and new experiences, if a little sucky. I'll never walked into a fire to see how it feels, hit my head on a wall for funsies, or asked a doctor to yank a plastic tube through my junk unless I have absolooootely no alternatives. :P

That aside - I hijacked the name back in 1998, from a character in MechCommander just because I thought it was cool. For years now I've been going by Rackminster online in many places and when I tried to change it here, there was backlash so I left it alone. :confusion-shrug:
Last edited by Paingod on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had to have a stent removed once. Was from my kidney to my bladder but not on out. Of course not that would be too easy. They had to shove a tool up my tool to grab the end andthen pull it and the tool all back out......ziiiiiiIip.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Also fun during my stay in the hospital were the every-eight-hours needle injections straight into my belly.

Needles are fine in the shoulder--you can tense up the muscle and feel tough. In the belly you have no defense.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Probably the most painful shot I have ever had was a cortisone shot into my shoulder joint. Damn that hurt. Was none to quick as well. But yea, getting a needle stuck into the gut doesn't sound none too fun.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I was a kid I was told about rabies shots in the belly button. Always scared the crap out of me.

And I have had one of those shoulder shots. I was actually relived to get it. My shoulder was killing me. Didn't hurt much if any.

Seems shots differ. Guess it depends on the doc and the way they give it. Like with dentists. Ive had it not hurt at all and it hurt like hell.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

You wimps

Sincerely
Xmann, RN

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least we know how to turn off the Tapatalk mobile signature. :coffee:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Careful or I'll start talking about rectal tubes
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Xmann wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 pm Careful or I'll start talking about rectal tubes
Go right ahead. I've been looking for a good hot dog place.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strangely I had no idea of rectal tubes.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Xmann wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 pm Careful or I'll start talking about rectal tubes
I have had a cyst removed from .......oooooo, I can't even talk about it.

And it was done in a doctors office under a local. :o
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

If you have a body part that has an entry or exit point, we can and DO stick a tube in it
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Holman

Post by Holman »

Xmann wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:47 am You wimps

Sincerely
Xmann, RN
Big talk from someone on the easy end of the anal probe!!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

*shudders* Why am I still reading this thread?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Xmann wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:40 pm If you have a body part that has an entry or exit point, we can and DO stick a tube in it
Incidentally, I made sure to thank all of my nurses for taking good care of me. Three of them (I think I had eight all told) seemed sincerely touched, and they told me that most people don't say anything like that.

They added that they know most of their patients are too preoccupied with their own pain to reach out.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:06 pm *shudders* Why am I still reading this thread?
Your body is a wonderland.