Of Beds and Stairs

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Of Beds and Stairs

Post by Blackhawk »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:51 pm BH, double check your order. You linked a full size frame and a queen sized mattress..
I actually noticed that yesterday right after I linked it. When it comes to big purchases, I'm obsessive with confirming details before I hit 'add to cart', and again once it is in the card. And again before I hit 'place order.' Still, thanks for mentioning it. Had I not been paying attention, I could have had issues.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Congrats man, good sleep is so important!
mori

Post by mori »

Getting back to your original question if that still is in play. I have taken 2nd floor windows apart to fit box springs through the window opening instead of going up stairs that were too narrow, low overhangs, or sharp corners. Take a tape measure and make a diagonal measurement of the window opening and compare to that of the box spring width. I have done Queen size in old farm houses with this method. Simple hand tools that every home owner should own is all that it will take to disassemble the window. Going to need extra muscle on one end of the ordeal.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I hate moving beds. My mother likes to have me flip her mattress and turn it end to end, and I probably injure myself 30% of the time when I do that. Big thick queen and short arms don't mix. I'm pretty sure that if I just pretended to do it, she wouldn't know the difference. Then there are the ancient ill fitting sheets that only "I" can place on the bed. She hasn't made her own bed in twenty years. Making yourself "helpless" and dependent is some major B.S. behavior. :grund:
Stop funding for NPR
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

mori wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:51 pm Getting back to your original question if that still is in play. I have taken 2nd floor windows apart to fit box springs through the window opening instead of going up stairs that were too narrow, low overhangs, or sharp corners. Take a tape measure and make a diagonal measurement of the window opening and compare to that of the box spring width. I have done Queen size in old farm houses with this method. Simple hand tools that every home owner should own is all that it will take to disassemble the window. Going to need extra muscle on one end of the ordeal.
This occurred to me, too. The problem is that the windows in this house are... odd. The glass itself is full of bubbles and distortions, which I understand probably dates it to the first part of the 20th century, and it is all still in the original frames. You should hear them rattle when the wind blows (and we won't talk about energy efficiency.) Most of them actually open into the wall. You flip up the lower window sill like a trap door and they sink down inside the wall on rope pulleys. I'm afraid to go anywhere near those windows.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and in a few days I'll have to take the old box spring out. I have two options: Buy some heavy plastic drop cloths, find someone strong to help, and try to figure out what my father-in-law did 15 years ago, or use an axe.

I vote for the latter.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Borrow a reciprocating saw. That's the ticket for demo.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

We actually just ordered a Casper mattress and foundation. The foundation is essentially a slat platform and a frame that goes around it. Looks like a box spring, but it's not. Comes apart, so getting it up stairs shouldn't be a problem. We wound up going with a king, because my wife's having a very uncomfortable second pregnancy, and wants the extra room to spread out. Everything should be here by next Monday, so I'll let you know how it goes.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

My back is NOT happy lately. Might have to give up the futon mattress. I think my back just knows I have a bunch of stuff to move this month, and it doesn't want to cooperate. :wink:

I'm going to go stretch out on the floor for awhile, I hope I can get back up. lol
Stop funding for NPR
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Chaz wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:15 am We actually just ordered a Casper mattress and foundation. The foundation is essentially a slat platform and a frame that goes around it. Looks like a box spring, but it's not. Comes apart, so getting it up stairs shouldn't be a problem. We wound up going with a king, because my wife's having a very uncomfortable second pregnancy, and wants the extra room to spread out. Everything should be here by next Monday, so I'll let you know how it goes.
While the mattress size wasn't an issue with my wife's two pregnancies I'm very glad we had a brand new mattress for them. We have a queen, but now that we sometimes have two children spending an hour or two in them on weekend mornings, I do wish for a king size.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Wait, you've got two now?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm getting a Purple mattress soon, along with a new house. My wife resisted until she was able to try one in a local store.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
naednek

Post by naednek »

So i'm reluctantly looking for a bed. Relunctantly because I don't want to spend $1000+ but my lower back is killing me, and my bed sags on my side. We recently bought a memory foam topper with hopes of that helping, but it just conformed to the existing sag.

I've been looking at Casper and the newer Purple, and man those are expensive.

Also looked at this https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovation ... title_home

and the next one up
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074552WRT/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

which is much more reasonable, but worried that we run into the same problem and just wasted $$$

I sleep on my side, and i'm usually on the side of the bed due to Ethan always coming in at some point in the night.

We currently have a pillow top, and from what I've heard they are notorious for sagging, so I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible.

For those who just recently purchased any of these mattresses, what do you think of them now?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kelric wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:33 pm I do wish for a king size.
We have a king and when our 2 year old climbs into our bed, she takes up half the thing - she spins like a pinwheel over the course of the night and winds up perpendicular to my wife who is wedged in the middle. The other night I had to try to sleep on about 8" on the edge.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

We've had a Casper for almost three years now and it's still just as great as they day we bought it...most comfortable mattress I've owned, and cheaper than what you would buy at a lot of mattress stores.

My suggestion is to read up on some of the direct-to-consumer companies like Casper, Leesa, Purple, and others...figure out which one sounds best for you, and give it a try. Most of these companies have lengthy trial periods (100 days for Casper), and if you don't like it, they'll give you a full refund. Casper even sends someone to your house to haul away their mattress and donate it to a charity. With delivery to your doorstep, more opportunity to try the mattress than you'll get from a store, and full money back with free removal if you're not happy, you really have nothing to lose.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I checked out all the brands mentioned, but went with a Nectar as it was a little less expensive. I really like it. We did get a foundation from Amazon.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I bought a new IKEA mattress right before Christmas. I got one of the best and most expensive and my king size was still like <$700. Maybe check them out.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I own the sleep innovations mattress. I like it. It stays cool, never sweat. I have back problems and this helps with my bulging discs in my neck and lower back.

Now, it will sag also after a year or more. We've had this one for about 4 years now and there is a noticeable sag where we sleep. You can roll to the middle and it's like a small firm hill there because we do not sleep in the middle. But the sagging is no where near as noticeable as it is on a regular mattress and it does not affect my back I guess because the foam still conforms to my body it's just softer now that when we first got it.

This is my 2nd one, I owned the other for about 8 years before it really got too soft.

I've always been reluctant to buy the more expensive ones, like purple or the others, because people I talk to always said no matter how much you spend they all sag eventually.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Lassr wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 pm
I've always been reluctant to buy the more expensive ones, like purple or the others, because people I talk to always said no matter how much you spend they all sag eventually.
We are going on year 16 of our Sleep Number, and the thing is as good as the day we opened it. I know they are expensive, but I've never had a bed last more than 10 years before the sag was unbearable. I'm super happy.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

gbasden wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 am
We are going on year 16 of our Sleep Number, and the thing is as good as the day we opened it. I know they are expensive, but I've never had a bed last more than 10 years before the sag was unbearable. I'm super happy.
Sleep number is the one that I heard does hold up.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I bought that extra tall bed frame that obviated the need for a foundation, and kept the old mattress (for now). One of these days I'll buy one of those foam or hybrid mattress off Amazon and slap that on.

The frame came in halves and folds flat, so it's pretty easy to get upstairs. I magine the foam mattresses will arrive rolled up and should be pretty easy to deploy.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zarathud

Of Beds and Stairs

Post by Zarathud »

Very happy with the Purple. My wife got over her horror at the cost and now comments on how hotel beds aren't as comfortable. And she doesn't bounce when I get to bed late.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:18 am
Yup, we've had ours for 10 years now and still very happy with it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
fight3r

Post by fight3r »

Problems with alternate dimensions of spam have disappeared by themselves
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wow.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

wait, did that bot claim to be 4 foot 9 ?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In his stalking feet.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:43 pm Oh, and in a few days I'll have to take the old box spring out. I have two options: Buy some heavy plastic drop cloths, find someone strong to help, and try to figure out what my father-in-law did 15 years ago, or use an axe.

I vote for the latter.
Chopping a bed up with a hand axe in the kitchen was entertaining.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

So this is the "mattress" topic? :)

When I moved rooms, I have the extra-high bed frame so I don't need a box spring. But the mattress that was already in the room was a bit too firm. I kept the plastic wrapping on and tried to sleep on it, but my back ended up sore every morning. ARGH.

So today, I moved my old mattress back, which was softer. I also added a microfiber mattress topper which may make it even softer. :) And I also replaced the sheets. :D Let's see if I can sleep well tonight.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I bought a 10 inch boxed bed off Amazon for around 200. The box can be assembled from a box.

I love my new bed.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm sleeping in my office chair temporarily until my friend closes. lol
Stop funding for NPR
Kraken

Post by Kraken »