Visiting Gettysburg

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Visiting Gettysburg

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:35 am That does really sound like a great way to read a book like this.
Have fun at the battlefield!
I do this quite a bit...or if it's an audio book, I just call up Google Maps from time to time. I've come to find out how disappointingly vague Google Maps are when it comes to the Arctic or Africa...not good enough to follow along.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Have fun!

If you start at the visitor's center and start the walking trail towards Meade's HQ, you'll pass it and then crest the hill to find yourself at the High Water Mark with the whole battlefield laid out before you. It'll be a quite a sight after your reading.

One last tip: Be sure to visit the Pennsylvania monument, seen below:

Enlarge Image

As the largest monument on the battlefield, it's hard to miss. What's really cool, though, is that there are not-very-obvious doors in the pillars allowing access to the upper level with a fantastic view of everything.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm sure you're still busy traveling, but how was it?

We need a Gettysburg AAR.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 am Have fun!

If you start at the visitor's center and start the walking trail towards Meade's HQ, you'll pass it and then crest the hill to find yourself at the High Water Mark with the whole battlefield laid out before you. It'll be a quite a sight after your reading.

One last tip: Be sure to visit the Pennsylvania monument, seen below:

Enlarge Image

As the largest monument on the battlefield, it's hard to miss. What's really cool, though, is that there are not-very-obvious doors in the pillars allowing access to the upper level with a fantastic view of everything.
yeah, I remember the placards by the artillery opposing the high water mark of Pickett's Charge. Cannister at point blank range had to be terrifying.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 pm I'm sure you're still busy traveling, but how was it?

We need a Gettysburg AAR.
Very, very wet. It rained the entire time. We still took the tour, it was still fantastic. I got back, took one day to recover, and immediately started getting things together for GenCon. Once I get home from this and finally get a real break, I'll get my thoughts together for a proper AAR.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)