[Movie] Glass

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Re: [Movie] Glass

Post by naednek »

I don't think he got in his own way. It just shows that professional movie critics don't know what they are talking about. The consensus among us common folk seems to like it quite a bit.

It's not your typical superhero movie, it's more philosophical and definitely slower paced.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:05 pmprofessional movie critic
I sometimes wonder what bar must be passed to get into this elite group? Is it just slinging crap on a blog, or is there more to it?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:56 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:05 pmprofessional movie critic
I sometimes wonder what bar must be passed to get into this elite group? Is it just slinging crap on a blog, or is there more to it?

It doesn't take much. A local radio DJ has a blog where he reviews movies... He gets invited to the award shows and all of that because he reviews movies on a personal blog.

I think many "professional critics" just write stuff to be controversial so they get the attention at the expense of hurting someone's career.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm sure some do, but I also think there are quite a few people who ignore the faults of a poorly written or acted film just because they like it and can't accept that others don't. The Underworld and Resident Evil films suck...and suck hard...but I know quite a few people who think they're fantastic films and will defend them as good movies until their dying breath.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've long noticed that many people can't understand the distinction between "entertaining" and "good". There are lots of movies that I love to watch. But I'd never call them "good". :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I loved Sharknado when I saw it at a live Rifftrax event...although probably not for the reasons the makers intended.
Covfefe!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:31 pmI think many "professional critics" just write stuff to be controversial so they get the attention at the expense of hurting someone's career.
No offense meant, but I feel like that doesn't make a lot of sense. With the exception of a few outliers (A.O. Scott being one of them), movie critics benefit more from giving shitty movies glowing reviews. Just look at the posters for your average Transformers or Adam Sandler film. These hacks from some small town paper or personal blog presented as a professional review site are all over these promotions, crowing about how great these turds are. This way, those idiots continue to get to see the movies pre-release and they also get plenty of goodies and potentially trips to the set or premiere. It's a pretty lucrative gig if you play the game. Sure, there are pretentious critics, and some who are downright cranks, but for my tastes, at least, I think movies are often rated too highly.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm I've long noticed that many people can't understand the distinction between "entertaining" and "good". There are lots of movies that I love to watch. But I'd never call them "good". :)
"good" as an objective description is meaningless. Might as well argue whether something is art or not.

I believe most people use "good" in this context to say they liked it, and that's perfectly fine. The problem being that many people use good to mean "competent from a technical standpoint" or "competent from a storytelling standpoint" or "competent from social commentary standpoint" or a whole host of other uses. And every single one of those uses is correct, because "good" has no defined meaning in a vacuum. At best it can be used relative to something else, and even then only to specific traits.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:27 pm I loved Sharknado when I saw it at a live Rifftrax event...although probably not for the reasons the makers intended.
I can't speak for the original but for every sequel that came after it, you and the makers are seeing eye to eye. Chances are you and the makers are simpatico on the original as well though.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:26 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:31 pmI think many "professional critics" just write stuff to be controversial so they get the attention at the expense of hurting someone's career.
No offense meant, but I feel like that doesn't make a lot of sense. With the exception of a few outliers (A.O. Scott being one of them), movie critics benefit more from giving shitty movies glowing reviews. Just look at the posters for your average Transformers or Adam Sandler film. These hacks from some small town paper or personal blog presented as a professional review site are all over these promotions, crowing about how great these turds are. This way, those idiots continue to get to see the movies pre-release and they also get plenty of goodies and potentially trips to the set or premiere. It's a pretty lucrative gig if you play the game. Sure, there are pretentious critics, and some who are downright cranks, but for my tastes, at least, I think movies are often rated too highly.
In theory a critic's relevance is directly tied to their credibility. Which is sort of counter for both what you and naednek are saying.

In the end though, just like a jacket cover on a book, all that matters is what is said, not who is saying it. And in that context just making up shit and attributing it to a random non-existent critic is just as effective.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I have a percolating idea for an app/website that would allow users to get movie recommendations and read reviews based on their own preferences and not solely on "critic" reviews, and certainly more nuanced than a 50/50 Rotten Tomatoes scale. I love my idea but unfortunately I have no skills to implement it lol.

Back OT, I saw Glass yesterday and I'd say it met my expectations. I kind of wish I had re-watched Unbreakable and/or Split again beforehand, as I think it would have been that much more enjoyable. I think as a stand-alone it lacked some tension/excitement I had hoped for, but as a conclusion to the other two movies, both of which I loved, I thought it had some very interesting plot choices. I also like the inclusion of the same actors who played Bruce's son and SLJ's mom from Unbreakable.

As big a James McAvoy fan as I am, I do feel he was a little over the top here. Maybe not so much over the top as over-used. Part of what made Split so cool was the way you discovered the unique personalities. Here it feels like he's constantly hitting you with them. It made sense in some scenes but in others I really would have preferred to stick with single personalities for longer periods of time. I didn't feel like Bruce or Samuel had enough screen time, and I would have loved to see the 3 of them interact more.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:59 pm I have a percolating idea for an app/website that would allow users to get movie recommendations and read reviews based on their own preferences and not solely on "critic" reviews, and certainly more nuanced than a 50/50 Rotten Tomatoes scale. I love my idea but unfortunately I have no skills to implement it lol.
MovieLens

Taste.io

Others
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Thanks for the links! Taste is really really close to what I was wanting, but I don't like their 4-tier movie scale. I really don't like limited scales, it just seems silly to me. I hate that I can only pick between "good" and "amazing" on the positive side, it makes it really hard for me. I generally like most of the movies I watch, but I'd prefer to be more discerning when giving a "perfect" score.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1. Jinni Jinni is the best movie recommendation engine on the Web. Period. Whether you want to search for films in the search field or you want to find films based on your mood, time available, setting, or reviews, the site has it all. I searched for movies based on my mood and followed that with a search based on my plot preference. Each time, films that I've watched and loved in the past, or that I haven't watched but definitely want to see popped up.

But perhaps the most compelling feature that Jinni offers is its semantic search. You can input terms like, "movies that have gangsters" or "films that show Chris Farley yelling" and the site will return films that match your query. It's mind-blowing.

Go use Jinni. You won't regret it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"As soon as possible" apparently means a year later for me. As stated earlier, I think Unbreakable is criminally underrated. I did see Split late last year and really enjoyed it, though it's hard to say whether or not my excitement was from knowing where it was all going to go. Anyway, I just watched Glass over the weekend and I couldn't have been happier. If told me how it was all going to work out 19 years ago, I never would have believed it. Really, being able to make those two other movies and finish the story It's pretty damn cool. I don't know how it was for non-fans or people that were ambivalent with Unbreakable to begin with, but for me this was fan-damn-tastic. Also, Sarah Paulson is awesome.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:09 pm As stated earlier, I think Unbreakable is criminally underrated.
Not by me. It is perhaps my favorite origin story as told on the big screen on the big screen even after all this time. Though, after this thread, learning of Split, TiVo pulled it in like six months ago, maybe longer, and I still haven't seen it. So Glass is still a long ways off. I am about 700 episodes in to Narato/Narato: Shippuden ((That's like over 14,000 minutes or 230 hours. Crazy.) That has been nearly 100% of my TV watching since September, maybe longer. Probably much longer. It is single handedly is the reason I experience shame at not cord cutting. My cable has been almost 100% unused for I don't know how long. (The last two weekends I was going to pick up the phone but then I got distracted. Inertia is really strong in me.) But Split is sitting in the 100s of hours of TV pulled in from basic cable from one channel or another that I'm not watching.)