Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

[Movie] How about trailers for Shazam and Aquaman?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Movie] How about trailers for Shazam and Aquaman?

Post by hepcat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:59 pm

I wasn't a fan of Manta. They got the look right,
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 pm

We saw it Saturday night.

Overall I REALLY enjoyed it, though I'm not sure if that's because it was really good or if it wasn't a total bomb like most other DC movies.

I will say I was really impressed with how much story they crammed in, even at 2:20. They basically had to give Aquaman's entire origin, Black Manta's origin, introduce Mera, set up the conflict between Arthur and his brother, expound on the cultures of the Atlanteans, etc. That's even before you get to the actual journey. Yet I thought the pacing was really good - never dragged, but the info dump was just spread out enough you could follow everything easily.

Yes it's a total CGI fest, but I'm OK with that. It's a comic book movie, after all. And yes, the CGI was cheesy at times. But it's an Aquaman movie after all. :D

Seriously though, this was the first DC film in quite some time that actually *felt* like a comic book. (Wonder Woman was great, but it wasn't as epic and thus missed out on some of that feel). They definitely took some tips from Marvel and upped their humor. Aquaman never feels brooding or dark, and it was such a refreshing change.

Yes, it comes off as a little goofy and cornball at times, but DC's still finding their way. This was a huge step forward, and I finally felt like I could enjoy a DC movie the way a kid would and not as a morose emo Goth twenty-something.

rittchard

Post by rittchard » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:24 pm

YK, it's funny how many caveats you put on your review of Aquaman lol. I agree with the majority of your comments, and while overall I enjoyed it I'm probably a little less forgiving.

I think the comment you made about plot being "crammed in" is the best way I would describe it, even though you used it as a positive. I would have preferred an abridged version, maybe chop about half an hour or so. No offense to Manta fans, but I think they could easily have edited his story out entirely and kept the focus on the origin plus Atlantean storylines. Some of the over the top CGI I could do without as well, particularly the crab people and the monster that looked like they stole straight from Pacific Rim. I also felt like there was zero chemistry with Amber Heard. All I kept thinking was what if they had cast Emilia Clarke in the role, I think my fanboy head would have exploded. I didn't even recognize Dolph Lundgren and Willem Dafoe seemed completely wasted and/or out of place in this movie. Patrick Wilson, who I normally love, didn't really add much to his role, and it was poorly written at best. One minute it seemed like they wanted us to be sympathetic to his cause, the next he was a traditional evil psycho villain.

The thing that did work for me was Jason Momoa's overall performance. I had a lot of doubts of him as a serious actor, but he just seemed so comfortable and joyfully engaged in the role that it muted out a lot of my criticisms while watching it. I also really enjoyed the backstory with Nicole Kidman and the father, who actually showed some amount of on screen chemistry. Or maybe it's just that she's that good of an actress.

All in all, like many others, I'd put it as the second most enjoyable DC film behind Wonder Woman. I still feel like DC just tries way too hard with their movies when they really don't need to.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:54 pm

I saw it over the Christmas holiday. While I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but think how simplistic the story was compared to the Marvel origin stories...well, most of them, anyways. While not award winning writing, Marvel still tends to give their villains and their heroes more complicated lives than "love action, love hittin' stuff". Aquaman is a good action film, don't get me wrong. But it seems like they wanted to mimic the depth of a Marvel film with their pre-Wonder Woman films, realized they had no idea how to do that without being ridiculous, and then just said screw it, let's concentrate on the fun parts. Wonder Woman, for all its accolades, isn't much more deep than Aquaman when you break it down. It's still about action first, plot and character development second (although Wonder Woman does much better than Aquaman on the latter).

I also saw Spiderman Into the Spiderverse this past weekend and that one puts all of the DC live action films to shame.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

naednek

Post by naednek » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:34 pm

My dad is coming over tomorrow to relieve me of hospital movie and to go see a movie.... I'm trying to decide Spiderman or Aquaman. I guess available showtimes will be the deciding factor.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"

naednek

Post by naednek » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 am

I really enjoyed Aquaman. I had low expectations when it was first announced. I always felt he was the lamest of all the superheroes. But man I enjoyed every minute of it. Everything just felt epic.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Get 'em, Batman!

[This space left intentionally blank.]