Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Bad news! Cat is absolutely terminal

Post by Drazzil »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:30 pm Did you at inform your doctor that you are a superior medical practitioner? Did you at least at inform your doctor that you decided to take half dosage?
But he used to work for Walgreens. My sister works for Walgreens and believes that makes her a foremost authority on all things medical.
If I ran out of meds before my insurance kicked back in I could have been hospitalized or dead. I made what I thought was the best choice from a list of bad choices.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

And my therapist is going to call me with an appointment.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:15 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:30 pm Did you at inform your doctor that you are a superior medical practitioner? Did you at least at inform your doctor that you decided to take half dosage?
But he used to work for Walgreens. My sister works for Walgreens and believes that makes her a foremost authority on all things medical.
If I ran out of meds before my insurance kicked back in I could have been hospitalized or dead. I made what I thought was the best choice from a list of bad choices.
This would be something about which to talk to your doctor. Making the choice yourself is more dangerous than that.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Did you put this poor cat down today?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Xmann wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm Did you put this poor cat down today?
No I did not. I've been trying to get the rest of Lucy's test results. I had a conversation with the vet yesterday in which the vet told me that the only thing she *knows* is up is kidney disease.

I and her both felt what could be a mass but x rays showed zilch.

If she is in total kidney failure theres nothing I or anyone can do. I am hoping that is is merely kidney disease which can be improved with a course of fluids for ten days. This can be done for very cheap ($60) and either I can administer myself or I can being the cat in to do it with Vet #1's nurses (for free).

But. I know nothing till they get back with me with the second part of thevresults. I placed one call yesterday and two today to accquire said results but have been unsucessful (Both clinics are INSANELY busy)

I will learn Lucy's test results tomorrow.

I have a bad habit of making my issues out to the worst possible thing that can happen... (catrophizing ?) them.
Wow. AA talked about that too. I know she is sick, probabally incurably so, but I am waiting to have ALL the information before I make that final fatal choice.

Kitty is peacefully sleeping in her bed, medicated with painkiller. She isin't suffering right now and I will know more tomorrow.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:15 pm
This would be something about which to talk to your doctor. Making the choice yourself is more dangerous than that.
I never thought of it like that. You are. right but I never thought of it that way.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Xmann wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm Did you put this poor cat down today?
I will have her either on a 10 day course of treatment to give her a new lease on life or I will end her life by monday evening, depending in the tests. I swear it.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Lucy is eating more and peeing for sure.

I know because she pissed on moms bed (again) today.

I just put her behind a whole can of her favorite meal in the world. Fancy Feast.

I'm kinda anxious to see how much she can get thru.
Chrisoc13

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Bad news! Cat is absolutely terminal?

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Draz I'm curious about this x-ray the vet did. Not to open up a can of worms here but was it actually a plain film x-ray or are you just using that term to mean any imaging? Plain x-rays are terrible for diagnosing soft tissue masses, which it sounds like is what your cat has. Unless that mass is calcified it is pointless. An ultrasound, sure that would work, but x-ray is no good for that. Not reliably at least. Also if your cat has chronic renal failure 10 days of iv fluid will do nothing. That would only fix acute renal failure. So make sure you have the very be clear with you if this 10 day treatment with fluids is going to actually help because if this looks like chronic renal failure that would be false hope. Clearly I don't have the full conversation with the vet and all the info but it doesn't add up the way you explained it. I'm not a vet but I am a physician and my specialty happens to include kidneys and I'm fairly certain humans and cats are not THAT different that cats can recover from chronic renal failure with IV fluids.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:26 am Draz I'm curious about this x-ray the vet did. Not to open up a can of worms here but was it actually a plain film x-ray or are you just using that term to mean any imaging? Plain x-rays are terrible for diagnosing soft tissue masses, which it sounds like is what your cat has. Unless that mass is calcified it is pointless. An ultrasound, sure that would work, but x-ray is no good for that. Not reliably at least. Also if your cat has chronic renal failure 10 days of iv fluid will do nothing. That would only fix acute renal failure. So make sure you have the very be clear with you if this 10 day treatment with fluids is going to actually help because if this looks like chronic renal failure that would be false hope. Clearly I don't have the full conversation with the vet and all the info but it doesn't add up the way you explained it. I'm not a vet but I am a physician and my specialty happens to include kidneys and I'm fairly certain humans and cats are not THAT different that cats can recover from chronic renal failure with IV fluids.
I was wondering that myself. Truly. I did feel what felt like a mass. You are right, X rays *are* shit at picking up masses. I am starting to wonder. Heres the funny thing though, this doc wasent the only one to mention that x rays would need to be done to figure out whats up. The first doc said so too.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I have a replacement cat for you. After knocking over my 27" monitor and busting the display (and spilling my wine in the process!) it's overstayed it's welcome. Whether or not it gets air holes in the shipping box depends on how pissed I still am.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:09 pm I have a replacement cat for you. After knocking over my 27" monitor and busting the display (and spilling my wine in the process!) it's overstayed it's welcome. Whether or not it gets air holes in the shipping box depends on how pissed I still am.
Ouch. I have a cat who *loved* to break my glass gram containers of bud oil. He would grab the cartridge in his mouth, walk it over to the edge of my desk and drop them. He *HATED* them for some reason. I prolly lost about $200 dollars of product that way.

Four weeks (but not a month yet) sober!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Annnnnd shes terminal.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Bad news! My cats may all have FCV

Post by Drazzil »

Got the full results of the blood tests. In addition to all the other stuff my cat has, she also seems to have feline corona virus. FCV.

I thought when I had the cats snap tested and rabies tested, that I was covering all my bases. Apparently not. I seem to have brought FCV into my household, I suspect via the two kittens I adopted.

Man. Man oh man.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FCoV

FCV is something else.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you need a replacement set, I can supply you with 5 apparently disease free cats. If you act now, I'll throw in 32 lbs of dry food and a new bucket of litter.

If I address the package to: Drazzil, Somewhere on the Left Coast, you should get it, right?
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No! Do not get more cats! Not even free JeffV ones. No!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

how do you clean up liter(s) of cat urine on the bed? is it even possible? if you don't have plastic sheeting over it, i assume it's ruined. (and imagine the lingering smell...)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:51 pm how do you clean up liter(s) of cat urine on the bed? is it even possible? if you don't have plastic sheeting over it, i assume it's ruined. (and imagine the lingering smell...)
Yes and yes.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Bad news! My cats may all have Feline Corona Virus.

Post by Drazzil »

My Vet suggested I *not* run the FCV tests on the other cats as they are expensive. She recommended tests if they develop symptoms, and to keep them seperate. I can't follow this advice. My cats mostly love one another and enjoy spending time together. It would be a terrible cruelty to keep them seperate.

Instead I will do the tests on the remaining four cats and vaccinate the uninfected against the infected. It is the most humane thing to do.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Do you ever listen to advice that anyone provides to you?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:12 pm Do you ever listen to advice that anyone provides to you?
Is this a rhetorical question?
Hodor.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:12 pm Do you ever listen to advice that anyone provides to you?
Yes. I've listened and followed through a lot of the advice given here.

I just think it would be a good idea to know which cats have Feline Corona Virus because some may not have it yet and I *know* Lucy could not have acquired it by being outside.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil m1ega thread: Bad news! My cats may all have Feline Corona Virus.

Post by Drazzil »

My apartment is way too small to quarantine cats.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pm
Following on advice from you guys just in the last month:

Made an appointment with the Counciler, Brought a really nice suit out of retirement, had it altered, started tailoring my resumes by company and keywords, returned a couch and cat condo, oh yeah... and my getting sober was following advice here. You guys said quit smoking weed, I went one further and quit drinking too. Oh yes and I took my full dose of meds yesterday and today, as advised.

I've basically turned my life into a choose your own adventure book with you guys turning the pages, so, I am just a little hurt when I am asked this.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:41 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pm
Following on advice from you guys just in the last month:

Made an appointment with the Counciler, Brought a really nice suit out of retirement, had it altered, started tailoring my resumes by company and keywords, returned a couch and cat condo, oh yeah... and my getting sober was following advice here. You guys said quit smoking weed, I went one further and quit drinking too. Oh yes and I took my full dose of meds yesterday and today, as advised.

I've basically turned my life into a choose your own adventure book with you guys turning the pages, so, I am just a little hurt when I am asked this.
Oh yeah! The job fair and clothes closet. I never would have gone to those if Isg didn't clue me in.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Four weeks sober today, one day at a time. Thanks for not co signing my bullshit guys.

Oh, and I dont remember who here told me to get tested for sleep apnea, but someone did, and I'm glad for it.

I have severe sleep apnea with 100 interruptions a night. I got fitted with a device and although I am still adjusting to it, I got it yesterday, I do notice a difference there too. I have more energy.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

And I will put Lucy down by or on monday.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:50 pm Four weeks sober today, one day at a time.
This is more important than anything most of us have ever posted. Keep clean. You need this.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:50 pm Four weeks sober today, one day at a time.
This is more important than anything most of us have ever posted. Keep clean. You need this.
+100

Sobriety first. 4 weeks is absolutely an accomplishment.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pmIs this a rhetorical question?
Yes. And while there are examples of advice eventually being followed, there's a clear pattern of ignoring advice (especially expert advice). Until it all goes wrong, almost entirely because of ignoring the advice, at which point we are told that the advice is then being followed.

What I'm getting at is that "the vet recommended not doing the test because it's expensive" (and probably other reasons). But Drazzil knows better so proceeds to have his 87 cats tested. At which point something will happen that requires the money that was just lit on fire to test the cats. At which point there will be gnashing of teeth over how this ever could have possibly happened. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I mean seriously, good for you for being sober. That's genuinely important. But at some point, stop thinking that you know more than everyone around you when they are using their education and expertise to help you. You need to quarantine the cats for a little bit? Quarantine the goddamn cats. They don't each need a palace. They're cats. It's a temporary inconvenience (assuming the vet wasn't suggesting that you quarantine them for life).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Unagi

Re: Drazzil m1ega thread: Bad news! My cats may all have Feline Corona Virus.

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:30 pm My apartment is way too small to quarantine cats.
Have you considered that your apartment is too small to take healthy care for the number of cats that you have?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 pm (assuming the vet wasn't suggesting that you quarantine them for life).
this sounds to me that this is indeed the case.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's a VERY serious disease for any of his cats that have it.
Treatment

This disease is difficult to treat and requires good supportive care. With the non-effusive form, treatment may be given using antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and immunosuppressive drugs to slow the progress of the disease spread. This is not a cure, but a way to make your cat more comfortable and to prolong its life by a few months. Your veterinarian might decide to remove accumulated fluid from the cavities to reduce pressure as well.

If your cat has the effusive form of FIP, there is usually no way of treating the symptoms in any meaningful way, as the disease spreads too rapidly.

The overall prognosis for affected cats is poor. There is no specific treatment which seems effective and most patient die due to complications.

He has a few paths.

Seperate them and then deal with those that have it and save the lives of those that don't have it.

Let them all just catch it.
He speaks of finding out which one(s) have it and then innoculate those that don't - and live in harmony. From what I have read, I don't think that is really an option.

They (PetMD) does speak of the pointlessness to quarantine (*if they have this level of the infection)
Once your cat has been diagnosed with this infection it has passed the stage of contagion and it is not necessary to quarantine the cat from the rest of the household. In general, the only way to protect your cat from this aggressive disease is to practice routine disinfection of your cat's living areas, food/water utensils, and cages.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil, you realize that it's you responsibility to, at the very least, keep your cats from going outdoors - right?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

When was the last time you did something related to finding a job? What's the next thing you're going to do?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pmIs this a rhetorical question?
Yes. And while there are examples of advice eventually being followed, there's a clear pattern of ignoring advice (especially expert advice). Until it all goes wrong, almost entirely because of ignoring the advice, at which point we are told that the advice is then being followed.

What I'm getting at is that "the vet recommended not doing the test because it's expensive" (and probably other reasons). But Drazzil knows better so proceeds to have his 87 cats tested. At which point something will happen that requires the money that was just lit on fire to test the cats. At which point there will be gnashing of teeth over how this ever could have possibly happened. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I mean seriously, good for you for being sober. That's genuinely important. But at some point, stop thinking that you know more than everyone around you when they are using their education and expertise to help you. You need to quarantine the cats for a little bit? Quarantine the goddamn cats. They don't each need a palace. They're cats. It's a temporary inconvenience (assuming the vet wasn't suggesting that you quarantine them for life).
Fourty bucks a pop for the blood tests. And the doc only said quarantine if they get sick. Bootsie has been sneezing lately, which is absolutely a symptom. But at this point I think a few bills (for blood testing and vaccinations for the uninfected cats against those that do will buy me a lot of peace of mind.

As for the rest of what you said, yes it is a very valid observation, and one I will work on. I have a real character flaw that needs serious improvement. You guys are not the only ones who have made this observation. I need to really work on this.

Thank you all for your patience and generousity in all the wonderful advice you folks have offered so far. Please don't give up on me.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Moliere wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 pm When was the last time you did something related to finding a job? What's the next thing you're going to do?
Yesterday I went to Cal Jobs to browse, The day before that I made arrangements to get the last module in the series of classes I will need to start DoR services.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:32 pm Drazzil, you realize that it's you responsibility to, at the very least, keep your cats from going outdoors - right?
The youngest two I have a feeling brought in the virus. I *never* intentionally let the cats out of the house. I absolutely FREAK when they leave for any stretch of time. Trumpet ran away twice since I adopted her, once for 8 days, and once for five.

The older cats never ran out. The last time Lucy ran out was 11 months ago and she just sniffed around a bit then went back in to watch matlock with mom.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:43 pm If you need a replacement set, I can supply you with 5 apparently disease free cats.
Can't you just have the wife cook up a batch of Siopao? :ninja:
Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO