Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: How *does* one use a business degree after 8 years?

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:43 pm One issue small business have is an aversion to overhead...employees not generating revenue need not apply. It would greatly enhance your chances if, aside from being a mere receptionist, that you show them you can be a business manager that can develop their business and bring in more revenue.

I had something similar come up about 15 years ago...a small high tech company. I showed them how I could take support chores away from their engineers. They were on board with the idea, but wanted to wait for one more large contact to cover the overhead. I was not available when this occurred.
Yup. If you want to pitch someone to create a job for you, you have to show how your salary will more than recoup itself.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You could run for office in Florida.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:46 pm I told him about my business degree and marketing experience. He immediately said no but then I could sort of see the wheels turning behind his eyes, like maybe I should ask again when I take the car to have the door handle done next month.
Unless you think this guy is totally comfortable saying to those that pay his sallary that he should hire you, so that you can do some of the things he is expected to do - I think you are being a fool.

If this guy totally runs the whole picture and is being run down by all the things you think you can bring to his would - then yeah, tell him how you could do everything he needs to get done better - otherwise you are just telling him that he isn't doing his job. Good luck.

The 'wheels turning' moment could have held quite a different nature in his head (rather than considering your proposition at all).
You may be right. It does not however hurt me to ask so... The worst he can tell me is no. It's not like I'm going to press the issue beyond that.

I didn't do anything beyond what any good out of work marketer does. Market themselves.

The man who owns the business complained about customers resenting his taking a lunch, and having to answer or having his mechanic answer phone calls all day, stealing from his time, on his own.

If I hadn't pointed out that I could reasonably handle not only phones, but office stuff, I wouldn't be doing my job.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

So.... 7.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Drazill, get a state job. IT will take some time to go through the process, but you might as well test as you look for other jobs. www.jobs.ca.gov
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

naednek wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:26 pm Drazill, get a state job. IT will take some time to go through the process, but you might as well test as you look for other jobs. www.jobs.ca.gov
I will look today!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

State jobs usually come with great benefits, retirement and job security. That's a great place to look.
naednek

Post by naednek »

you live in Island Empire which I think it's near Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. Both have tons of state jobs.... Just gotta go through the process which can take time. PM if you need any advice. I can't get you a job, but I can answer questions.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

naednek wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:40 pm you live in Island Empire which I think it's near Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. Both have tons of state jobs.... Just gotta go through the process which can take time. PM if you need any advice. I can't get you a job, but I can answer questions.
I was at the DOR today for a series of jobs classes, I saw something about the LEAP program. I'm going to get into that as soon as I get back into DOR.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Man I spent the morning looking for work, and linkedin makes it SHOCKINGLY easy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 pm
Cal Poly Pomona Career Center Calendar

August 22, 2018
Part-Time Jobs & Volunteer Fair
:coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:46 pm

August 22, 2018
I am headed there in two days yes. Even though I am neither intrested in part time jobs nor in giving away my time. I do intend to go anyway. I figure it would be good. to check out what employers are offering. At least some of the part time employers will be offering full time work as well right?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

August 22, 2018
I'll snap a pic for you.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:55 pm

August 22, 2018
I am headed there in two days yes. Even though I am neither intrested in part time jobs nor in giving away my time. I do intend to go anyway. I figure it would be good. to check out what employers are offering. At least some of the part time employers will be offering full time work as well right?
One would hope. And my recommendation for you to go to this one is less about getting a job, although that would be great, it's also a dry run for the full-time fair next month.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:00 pm

August 22, 2018
One would hope. And my recommendation for you to go to this one is less about getting a job, although that would be great, it's also a dry run for the full-time fair next month.
Yes. Good idea.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

August 22, 2018
Off to go pick up some interview clothes.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 pm

August 22, 2018
Off to go pick up some interview clothes.
Man what a busy day. Woke up drove to the mall. I intended to go to JC pennies but had to cut thru Macy's. I bought the duds at Macy's because I wanted the shopping process to be painless. And by god it was. I got a beauty of an outfit that FITS wonderfully.

Then I went to buy mom a cocos cherry pie and visited her in the home. We are going to try to get her physical therapy so she can come home (maybe)

I fed mom pie then pie'd the rest of moms support staff and her roommate.
Last edited by Drazzil on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good deal. Make sure you've got everything ready for tomorrow and relax. Get plenty of sleep and set plenty of alarms.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:48 pm Good deal. Make sure you've got everything ready for tomorrow and relax. Get plenty of sleep and set plenty of alarms.
My determination to attend fair was actually flagging [mostly for the reasons listed above] but when Isg asked I reconsidered and concluded I should go.

So thanks guys! Much appreciated help. I'll take pics!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Oh btw I ALSO forgot paper resumes. Went to go knock one together.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

NOW I am ready.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I went to the job fair, passed out resumes and took in the sights.

On the way back I had a terrible anxiety attack. I got to think about all the little ways that things could still come back on me [mostly financialy] and I am still scared.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congrats on making it out there. Here’s hoping you start getting follow-up calls. And now you’re more ready for next month.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:28 pm Congrats on making it out there. Here’s hoping you start getting follow-up calls. And now you’re more ready for next month.
:D
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I know the sneakers are awful but in fairness to myself CPP is a *hell* of a large campus and getting to the fair from the park was a two mile walk.

Everyone else around me did the same thing, if they even bothered to dress up at all.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My first thought was "sneakers?!??!". :D

But then I thought, this was for a job fair, not a specific interview, so sneakers are fine.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You need to go the Barney route. Suit up. Be the best looking applicant there. Find some good dress shoes that won’t kill you in walking those distances.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Not necessarily dress shoes, just good black leather walking shoes. You'll need them when you have a job anyway. Reebok and New Balance make them.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:38 pm Not necessarily dress shoes, just good black leather walking shoes. You'll need them when you have a job anyway. Reebok and New Balance make them.
I have some nunn bush sitting somewhere. Need to find em.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:32 pm You need to go the Barney route. Suit up. Be the best looking applicant there. Find some good dress shoes that won’t kill you in walking those distances.
Bring a business appropriate backpack with your resumes in a nice leather bound folder, mints, etc and you can sneaker up and then whip out your dancing shoes before you hit the floor. :horse:
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FWIW, I've found Rockport’s Style Purpose line make for surprisingly comfortable leather walking shoes. Even this pair of wingtips provides plenty of comfort enhancements, like an EVA-cushioned footbed, heel support for added shock absorption, and a durable but lightweight EVA sole:

Enlarge Image

Suffice to say, they'd definitely make a better impression than showing up in trainers.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rockports are da bomb. Dunno if they're still around; they filed for bankruptcy in May.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I got out of the army I was supposed to have all the knowledge for working on digital and analog electronics. You would think it would have been easy to find a job. But between the draft dodgers and my total forgetfulness of electronics I had to take menial jobs. It seems all that time being a ground pounder had caused me to forget it all.
Fortunately I relearned it after going back in the air force. And the war being over.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:56 pm Rockports are da bomb. Dunno if they're still around; they filed for bankruptcy in May.
Some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned were Rockports.

Sketchers will also work in terms of shoes that are comfortable and work appropriate.
Hodor.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Anybody who recommends anything other than Hush Puppies is wrong.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Black Ecco walking shoes
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Look at those speed holes!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:51 am Look at those speed holes!
I was being aggressively courted by a marketing company but I think I failed to sell myself. The first time she called I was in traffic, the second time I was at lunch and the third time I just really failed to sell myself.

She says I will get a call tomorrow but I dropped the ball.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Meh you never know. Wait and see on that one.