Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hyena

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Cancer diagnosis for cat (we think)

Post by Hyena »

Not to mention the travel time and money, things that can much better spent on...job hunting?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Drazzil, did you read that article I linked? If so, read it again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:08 pm Drazzil, did you read that article I linked? If so, read it again.
Read it twice, did the quiz.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:53 pm I know this may be out of my grasp, but what about going down to mexico for veternary care?
if you stopped to think about it, it should be evident that you are not going to suddenly come up with a better course of action than what has already been considered and stated by (several, possibly many) others here. listen to them.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Drazzil wrote:I know this may be out of my grasp, but what about going down to mexico for veternary care?
The mind boggles...

(no, dude. let them go in peace)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:02 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:53 pm I know this may be out of my grasp, but what about going down to mexico for veternary care?
Yeah, bringing a sick animal across international borders? How hard can that be. I wouldn't think the quarantine period would last any longer than....what's the current immigration processing time at the border? And that's just to quarantine YOU for being in contact with a sick animal.
The news stories talk about people who bring very sick animals to vets down there for pet medical tourism. I struggle to see how this would be so if animals were trapped at the border. I've got a mexican conosolate in San Bernardino. I could ask.

Help me reason here.

Cat has obstructive breathing issues that don't seem to want to clear. I tried antibiotics with Ace being unresponsive. First vet said that X ray would probabally not show issue, that the cat would need an EKG or sonigram to show the issue, but given his unresponsiveness to antibiotics, vet suspected the worst.

Saying I could bring down my cat to Mexico. Nasal tumors seem to be especially hard to treat. I would be looking at a sonigram or EKG to diagnose, some sort of biopsy, then chemo or radiation.

I think the cost might put me back a minimum of 2k. And this is my rosy as hell done almost no research estimate.
Add to this the driving 3 hours each way (letting alone my suspended license)

Even if the tumor responded, Ace is 15 and the animal would be put thru hell to buy me another year or two.

Oh and I think the tumor must be magliant because three weeks ago he was breathing just fine. So the tumor has some sort of probability to return

I just dont see how it could work. I keep grasping for solutions to this issue and I keep coming back to there aren't any besides put to sleep.

Would it even be advisable to take the cat on monday for a second opinion or should I just let go?

My poor cat does seem to be suffering. The breathing noises are terrible and I am deeply uncomfortable just listening to him.

I'm weighing if it's even worth it waiting till monday for a second opinion.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Dude.

You. are. horrible.
Listen to you. You describe their suffering and you yourself describe their fate and you still can't help them reach their end with a single ounce of peace and an end to their suffering? Why?

:cry: :cry:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman said it better than me.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Sure take them down to Mexico, makes sense. Get them a boob job while you're at it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Help me reason here.
What, exactly, do you think we've been doing for 34 pages? It doesn't make any difference if you ignore said reason in favor of what you wish reality was.

You are being selfish. You are causing your pets to suffer so you won't be sad. That's heartless.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:48 pm Dude.

You. are. horrible.
Listen to you. You describe their suffering and you yourself describe their fate and you still can't help them reach their end with a single ounce of peace and an end to their suffering? Why?

:cry: :cry:
Because I am carrying guilt. I may have contributed to the cats health issues. Because in the past (think ten years ago) I regarded the cats my mom adopted (Ace among them) as less then family, and although I was never abusive. I still carry guilt towards the cats I let go, and would do anything to protect the ones I have now.

I know I'm fucked up but I just learned my cat was terribly sick a few days ago and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Time to grow up and get over your guilt. This is obvious to all of us and to you and you ignore it selfishly... cause you don't want to feel bad. Well, they are suffering and if it helps you act, let me point out that only you are in a position to do something about it.

So Please. at the very least - stop posting about your old sick cats. It's very frustrating to anyone that cares about animals to listen to, IMO

Should you take them to Mexico. WTF.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You shouldn't feel any guilt (I know it's not easy). We had two cats that were barn cats - adopted shortly after they were born. One lived for 11 years, the other for almost 14 (I think). It's all a blur. As far as I'm concerned, every day they had after being adopted was 1000x better than what they would have experienced living feral in a barn. They had over a decade of life, hanging out and being cared for. We gave them more than they ever would have had otherwise and they let us pet them. On the whole, it was a good deal.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm You shouldn't feel any guilt (I know it's not easy). We had two cats that were barn cats - adopted shortly after they were born. One lived for 11 years, the other for almost 14 (I think). It's all a blur. As far as I'm concerned, every day they had after being adopted was 1000x better than what they would have experienced living feral in a barn. They had over a decade of life, hanging out and being cared for. We gave them more than they ever would have had otherwise and they let us pet them. On the whole, it was a good deal.
Thanks for your kind words Smoove. That also goes for the patient folks who answered my questions. I know sometimes it really feels that I am resisting advice. Maybe I'm too close to my cats.

It doesen't help that I spend so much time around my oldest boy Ace. When I go to sleep, he sleeps on me. When I wake up there he is. When I move about the house he follows me constantly. I would say that I spent at least 85% of my life this year and a half with him literally within a foot of me. I know cats aren't people, but I don't really have human friends or family.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's easy for everyone here (I think) to chime in because they're not our pets. But I don't know a single pet owner that didn't agonize over the situation you're currently in. Hell, I'm an emotionless robot and I hate cats but it really tore me the hell up to make the decision. Near as I can figure I'm halfway through the countdown to sadness with our dog and even the idea of the possibility of needing to make that decision is putting a lump in my throat. No one thinks it's an easy decision to make, but ultimately as a pet owner we are saddled with that potential responsibility.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove is saying everything I want to say and nicely.

I'm sorry if I come across as a jerk in this, but I feel like we've been down this exact road before. Is this the "the vet f'ed me" cat ?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:39 pm Smoove is saying everything I want to say and nicely.

I'm sorry if I come across as a jerk in this, but I feel like we've been down this exact road before. Is this the "the vet f'ed me" cat ?
No the vet F'd me cat was put to sleep. Months ago. This is a different cat. I posted earlier in this thread about my clowder of oldster cats dying off.

Princess died four years ago of a stroke. Sheeba died the same way about a year ago. Lucy was the cat I posted about, I let her go months ago. Ace will be next, he's getting his ticket punched monday at the latest. Bootsie is dying too. Severe bowel issues that worsen as she ages. I expect to punch her ticket within a few months.

So within the space of 2 years I will have lost 4 pets.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:46 pm I know cats aren't people, but I don't really have human friends or family.
I think you and Daehawk should move in together.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

stimpy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:46 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:46 pm I know cats aren't people, but I don't really have human friends or family.
I actually considered asking him, considering that the nest egg I set up would prob cover all the liens against his house, then arranging for him to somehow pay me, instead of the bank, while I occupied a spare room in his house and tried to restart my life.

Then I considered the downsides, personality conflict potential, potential legal issues and all the other issues that could pop up. I concluded that such an idea was bat shit insane and would leave the both of us worse off then we started.

Leaving out the fact that I don't think Mr. Hawk lives anywhere I would want to live.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm So within the space of 2 years I will have lost 4 pets.
That all sucks.
Sounds like you should know that going to Mexico with this cat is unwise and likely unkind.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:37 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm So within the space of 2 years I will have lost 4 pets.
That all sucks.
Sounds like you should know that going to Mexico with this cat is unwise and likely unkind.
Yeah. I grabbed that part. The thing that burns me is the cost of finding out the cats true problem is like to run me between 4 and 8 hundred. Even if its polyps or asthma that popped up sudden like I really *don't* know. The cat is suffering *now* but developing a picture of the enemy me and kitty face is out of my grasp right now.

So even *if* the cause of Ace's suffering would be something I could deal with, its out of my range of affordability to even fuckin find out.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

If I *definitively* knew Ace had cancer I would put him down today. I do not know anything beyond my best friend in the world has a completely stopped nose, is suffering and breathing from his mouth, and antibiotics do fuck all.

So eliminating viral and bacterlogical, we are left with the following possibilities.

1. Foreign object: Long shot but Ace used to *love* to eat my earplugs. The damn cat snuck them out of my pockets and off the floor till I started keeping them in child safe pill bottles. Even that wasen't foolproof.

2. Fungal. I dunno anything about this.

3. Polyps asthma or allergies. Long shot. Possible but not probabable.

4. Cancer. There are a grab bag of cancers that could explain this and given kitties age and exposures, vet thinks this is most probabable.

That said cat is suffering *now* and I hate to just do the easy thing and put him down because what if this is something treatable?

The not knowing is killing me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

-or- you could maybe look at this as a way part of your brain is grasping at anything benign that could be contributing to your wheezing cat to help you puzzle out how you're going to justify not giving him a compassionate death instead of listening to the other part of your brain that is saying, "Draz...this cat is 15 years old, roughly equivalent to an 80 year old person. Let's seriously consider what we're proposing here."
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 pm -or- you could maybe look at this as a way part of your brain is grasping at anything benign that could be contributing to your wheezing cat to help you puzzle out how you're going to justify not giving him a compassionate death instead of listening to the other part of your brain that is saying, "Draz...this cat is 15 years old, roughly equivalent to an 80 year old person. Let's seriously consider what we're proposing here."
Yeah. Smoove. You're right. I'll do it tomorrow. I figured if I could articulate what my issues were with putting Ace down and get advised on such I could come to a decision I could be at peace with. I think I've done that and thank you Smoove for your patience for my dillema.

Previous posts somewhat did that but the last post I made put a finger on my dis-ease, and you sir (and others) helped me to come to peace with this decision that I made.

Thanks again guys. You are all way smarter and wiser and more patient then I.

I'll go ahead and post up when it's done.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No one could realistically find fault for the decision you're currently saddled with and what the most compassionate outcome likely is. Don't beat yourself up. You're not making the decision lightly and it's not an arbitrary evaluation. Of course no one envies your position but many of us can absolutely relate. Owning a pet is great...until it isn't.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 pm
I actually considered asking him, considering that the nest egg I set up would prob cover all the liens against his house, then arranging for him to somehow pay me, instead of the bank, while I occupied a spare room in his house and tried to restart my life.

Then I considered the downsides, personality conflict potential, potential legal issues and all the other issues that could pop up. I concluded that such an idea was bat shit insane and would leave the both of us worse off then we started.

Leaving out the fact that I don't think Mr. Hawk lives anywhere I would want to live.
Why let batshit insanity stop you now? I would totally watch that show. Especially if you get guest appearances by JeffV.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:01 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 pm

Why let batshit insanity stop you now? I would totally watch that show. Especially if you get guest appearances by JeffV.
Now if we could only convince a few million others to turn in we could get a web series going.

Daehawk and Drazzil under one roof. We could call it "D's nuts!"

A bit of word play to transform an old familiar middle school insult into a working title. The D would stand for either one of us, and of course the nuts part would be self explanatory.

Hilarity would ensue.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Have your people call my people.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Oh man, I was thinking the same thing. :idea:
Stop funding for NPR
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Applying for jobs is *SO* much easier then it used to be.

Back in the bad old days just a few years ago applying for work was MUCH harder. When I was applying then I would run into a whole fuckerdoodle of problems. Often times the filter according to experience level didn't work.

I would follow a link to a job I wanted to apply for, only to have to use the companies website for almost every application, then on top of that the companies website would require many additional steps, ask for references require you to take a test blah blah blah.

And about 20% of the time the HR software would eat your gd application.

Now its easy! Filter according to experience level! Industry! Point, click one step application! Response from employers within days! I think I love indeed the most.

This makes me happy!

*does a happy dance*
dbt1949

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Applying for work is much easier now!

Post by dbt1949 »

I need a video of that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:04 pm I need a video of that.
:banana-dance:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Funny. You look like a banana I used to know. The name slips my mind.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:24 pm Funny. You look like a banana I used to know. The name slips my mind.
You trying to say all banannas look alike?

(Just as a footnote, did you know that all bannana trees are clones of just ONE cutting? Back during the 50's there was another tastier bannana before mold took out the WHOLE species. A reoccurance could wipe out the whole crop. Its the same with the much less sexy but even more vital resource, rubber. If rubber is wiped out supposedly the world ends... Sleep well)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Gros Michel banana of the 50s is still around as an heirloom, and is what fake banana flavoring was based off of.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pm The Gros Michel banana of the 50s is still around as an heirloom, and is what fake banana flavoring was based off of.
I had no idea, thought they were wiped out.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:12 pm Applying for jobs is *SO* much easier then it used to be.

Back in the bad old days just a few years ago applying for work was MUCH harder. When I was applying then I would run into a whole fuckerdoodle of problems. Often times the filter according to experience level didn't work.

I would follow a link to a job I wanted to apply for, only to have to use the companies website for almost every application, then on top of that the companies website would require many additional steps, ask for references require you to take a test blah blah blah.

Now its easy! Filter according to experience level! Industry! Point, click one step application! Response from employers within days! I think I love indeed the most.

This makes me happy!

*does a happy dance*
I was under the impression that you've been 'applying for work' for the last umpteen months... it's weird to hear you suddenly report on the state of affairs.

This is like an explorer who's reportedly been speaking to us from the Arctic, for months now, reporting his shock at how warm the Arctic is now compared to his last visit, years and years ago....
I'm left wondering why you weren't of this impresion earlier.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pm The Gros Michel banana of the 50s is still around as an heirloom, and is what fake banana flavoring was based off of.
OMG, you mean fake-banana is based off a real banana!!! this has been a (mildly, but repeating) huge thing for me, and this news is profound. wow. bless you issy. (/atheist)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:12 pm Applying for jobs is *SO* much easier then it used to be.

This makes me happy!

*does a happy dance*
I was under the impression that you've been 'applying for work' for the last umpteen months... it's weird to hear you suddenly report on the state of affairs.

This is like an explorer who's reportedly been speaking to us from the Arctic, for months now, reporting his shock at how warm the Arctic is now compared to his last visit, years and years ago....
I'm left wondering why you weren't of this impresion earlier.
I thought about this reaction before I posted. I was using Caljobs and google jobs, which doesen't seem to have an experience level filter. Nor a one click apply button that I'm aware of.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

No problem, just seemed out of synch reporting on the state of affairs. I understand your explanation.

Sorry for being such a critical SOB. :wink: