Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: PORTLAND OR IS A GO!!!

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 pm A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.
Even if I just wanted to live in said boat and never take it out?

I was considering offering to rent from the guy for a few weeks and see how it went, and to go over the boat and have it professionally inspected. I might be able to rent it for roughly the same price as an airbnb.
Last edited by Drazzil on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Exodor

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Dear OO'ers: Bureaucratic footwork (advice maybe needed?)

Post by Exodor »

Drazzil wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:37 pm Even if I just wanted to live in said boat and never take it out?
A boat would combine all the maintenance of a house with all the maintenance of a boat.

I wouldn't do it.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Dear OO'ers: Bureaucratic footwork (advice maybe needed?)

Post by Drazzil »

Exodor wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:38 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:37 pm Even if I just wanted to live in said boat and never take it out?
A boat would combine all the maintenance of a house with all the maintenance of a boat.

I wouldn't do it.
Okay thanks for the advice. Tis was just a thought.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You wouldn't have to mow the lawn.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You'd have to start reading Travis McGee novels of course. :wink:

Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Sober 11 days.

Post by Drazzil »

I've been making regular meetings. After the meeting I went to an independant vw enthusiast shop and asked the owner for a job on a lark. The owner asked if I repaired VW's and I said no but I did parts sales for a different industry, and that his shop looked fun to work at and I would basically take anything and I had a business degree.

I must be an okay salesman because he went from "We're not hiring" to "Stop by tuesday with an application."

It's probabally not going to happen but I loved the chance to use my salesmanship.
em2nought

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Sober 11 days.

Post by em2nought »

Stop funding for NPR
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Sober 2 weeks.

Post by Drazzil »

Sober a month yesterday. I took mom off the lease where I'm at because my rent doubled overnight retroactively with no notification (actually a confusingly written one, not even the housing authority figured it THREE MONTHS LATE) So I'm stuck paying nine hundred eighty dollars extra. Also my section 8 may not transfer because the timer may restart on the two years I am required to live here... Which if I can't transfer I will still be leaving for Portland @ the end of July. I'm not going to be chained to this sh-thole one second longer.

I am going to try to bring my cats out even if I'm homeless for a few weeks. I should be able to idle my car and keep the AC on for a few weeks if I put a net between the front seat and back seat. I should also be able to keep some space for them in the back if I dont bring much stuff.

I figure if I hit the ground running I can find a job and a place within a month, also if I *need* to give my cats away (or pay someone to foster them) I would have much better luck in PL then in this shite area.

So thats my update. One day at a time.
hitbyambulance

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Sober 1 month + Portland update.

Post by hitbyambulance »

if you take your cats to Seattle they're for sure get adopted quickly
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:13 pm if you take your cats to Seattle they're for sure get adopted quickly
I can never tell if you guys are being sarcastic or not.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Drazzil wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:13 pm if you take your cats to Seattle they're for sure get adopted quickly
i'm actually being serious. this is the kind of city where pet adoption rates are higher than the average and rescue organizations go to other places in the country to retrieve animals to bring back here for adoption.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:37 pm
i'm actually being serious. this is the kind of city where pet adoption rates are higher than the average and rescue organizations go to other places in the country to retrieve animals to bring back here for adoption.
Good to know.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Apparently, Seattle does a better job of coping with homeless animals than it does with feral humans. :wink:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:49 am

Apparently, Seattle does a better job of coping with homeless animals than it does with feral humans. :wink:
Wow that linked story... :shock:
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Barring any issue with the bureaucracy on my end or theirs Portland OR. is a go! I am so excited! I am going to get section 8 so my rent will be under $600.

Thank Christ. Without going too far into details, I'm having safety issues where I'm at.

I'm even considering renting an Air BnB in PL and letting Multomah county catch up with me. I can't stand another goddamn minute here.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Whats the cheapest way to ship furniture interstate?

Post by Drazzil »

So if you guys read, Portland seems to be a go. Barring any last minute catastrophe, I expect to leave at the end of this month.

I'd love to be able to ship my speed queen washer (that's almost brand new), and a few TV sets (or at least 1)

I'm literally going to be walking away from all my belongings... Everythings old and burned out, so I definitely know I can pack everything into the Corolla.

Anyway, opinions needed... Please?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A trailer for your car?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Are you moving to a place with a hook up for the washing machine? If not you'll need to store it and I think selling it would be more prudent in the short term.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

quick-sell all the stuff that's remotely sale-able on craigslist for some dollars, at least. (including the washing machine and TVs)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:02 pm A trailer for your car?
I heard that you can rent a trailer but I'm leary of hooking a trailer to my elderly Corolla. It'd prolly handle it like a champ but the car has almost 190k on it and it's already a hell of a drive sans trailer.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Another alternative is rent a truck and a car hitch so you can tow your car.
Or trade your car in for a pickup truck.

I'm not recommending anything, just giving you choices.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you are moving to an apartment, either it will be furnished with a washer and dryer or it won't accommodate one. Otherwise, what. dbt said, Uhaul with a hitch for your car.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If you buy a small trailer you can probably sell it for almost what you paid when you get where you're going.
Stop funding for NPR
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that is about to also relocate and downsize, it's just not worth (IMHO) trying to figure out how to move things that are relatively easy to replace. If something has meaning to you (like a chair), that's one thing but a washer? They're borderline disposable now. Whatever cost you're going to incur trying to relocate it put towards visiting a local laundry until you can figure out a better local option.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I would say liquidate everything you have except for your laptop and buy a futon when you get there. That's pretty cheap.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:11 pm quick-sell all the stuff that's remotely sale-able on craigslist for some dollars, at least. (including the washing machine and TVs)
Amen.

Stick to the KISS principle ("Keep it simple, stupid") to ease the upheaval process. Struggling to cope with the logistics and unnecessary additional expense of transporting (and potentially storing) hefty household appliances and furniture while relocating to a completely unfamiliar locale is sure to make it that much more difficult. By liquidating your assets and possessions and travelling as lightly as possible, you'll put yourself in a better position to adapt to the challenges that are likely to crop up after you have relocated to OR.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:48 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:11 pm quick-sell all the stuff that's remotely sale-able on craigslist for some dollars, at least. (including the washing machine and TVs)
Amen.

Stick to the KISS principle ("Keep it simple, stupid") to ease the upheaval process. Struggling to cope with the logistics and unnecessary additional expense of transporting (and potentially storing) hefty household appliances and furniture while relocating to a completely unfamiliar locale is sure to make it that much more difficult. By liquidating your assets and possessions and travelling as lightly as possible, you'll put yourself in a better position to adapt to the challenges that are likely to crop up after you have relocated to OR.
Thank you for your replies.
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

As someone who has moved cross-country a few times, I can +1 what everyone else is saying. Sell/get rid of anything you can that is of a decent size, and go minimalist for the move when downsizing.

Something like a washer is definitely a no-go unless you have a place in Portland prior to moving, and know that it needs the washer. Otherwise, sell, and have one less thing to worry about when looking at new places.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've found it's very easy to pick up most anything I need from craigslist. I've also seen people pay so much for self storage of items that they could have bought brand new items several times over. I've also found it easy to sell most items on craigslist.
Stop funding for NPR
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Need more Portland advice

Post by Drazzil »

So. In two weeks time exactly I will have my Portland OR orientation and I will pick up my section 8 rental certificate. Heres the issue. It seems like the celing for what the Home Forward people are willing to pay is rather low for the area. Depending on the zip code and type of apartment. Because of the fact I can't show an income, things will be even more difficult for me.

Adding to this issue is the fact that I cannot receive rental assistance from two states. I would have to give up my california spot before I accept rental assistance in Oregon. Once I give up my spot in SB though I am committed.

One freightening statistic is that supposedly 20% of the homeless ppl in Portland HAVE section 8 assistance and can't seem to find a spot. This is even scarier for me because I have my cats.

I must keep my cats at all costs. I love them like my children and they are the only family I have left. I'd rather give up the idea of Portland before I give up the cats.

Starting today I did some heavy duty cleaning and got rid of a room full of shit. I filled a city trashcan full of old stuff. I plan on doing a room a day to get rid of all my undonatable stuff, then will give away donate or sell the rest.

I think I can keep asking for extensions where I am at on a month to month basis but I am not sure what I would do if I found a spot in the middle of the month as I can't be assisted with two places.

My plan is to drive down to OR and immediately find work. I can afford to air bnb a place until I can find work thereby allowing me to show income and open up my choices a little, I still am rehabbing my shoulder so no physical jobs, but I will be looking for work and apt actively. I think I can get extensions where I'm at so that I wont lose this place.

If I still cant find a place that accepts section 8 and my cats or find work I might just look for other cities to live in.

I will also be contacting Portland based housing agencies to see if they have possible leads.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I almost got discharged from the army on a section 8. Must be a powerful section.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:35 pm I almost got discharged from the army on a section 8. Must be a powerful section.
:D :lol:
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I suspect the chance of finding affordable housing anywhere near the urban core is remote. If you have to stay in Multnomah county look to east/ north Portland or Gresham. If you're more flexible I'd consider Vancouver, WA or the more remote suburbs like Clackamas/Happy Valley or Hillsboro (although I saw an article that claimed average rents are now higher in Hillsboro than in Porland proper).
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Man this move has me scared shirtless

Post by Drazzil »

In a little less then two weeks I am leaving for Portland. I am absolutely scared shitless, but I cannot stay. There is nothing left for me here. The economy, the climate and the people (mostly) suck.

I'm hoping for a change in scenery and life curcumstance. I am scared though. This will be the first time I have my own place, the first time I have been truly on my own. I've lived in this housing project for 35 years, I'm going room to room throwing stuff away I cannot take with me. Mom was a horder, and so am I to an extent, so lots of stuff to toss... I've basically been cleaning out a room a day, only two days in and I've already filled two city trashcans. I'm going to start calling the SA to come pick up stuff. This move is becoming real to me. I don't have an apartment yet, I know its going to be hellishly hard for me. On top of that I need to keep my cats. This has me scared and second guessing myself but I know in my heart the time is now. I MUST move now. God help me.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

*snickers* The title had a curseword in it and either the mods or autocorrect did me a real favor, so thanks whoever. 8-)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Seems like adulting gets harder the longer you put it off. But moving is the third-most stressful life event, at least for those of us who don't do it routinely, so don't feel bad about feeling bad.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Change can be scary.
Stop funding for NPR
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Everythings ready to go, now I need advice on finding a place.

Post by Drazzil »

I have a section 8 rental voucher, my orientation is the 25th of July. Only one problem, finding a place that will rent to me that matches with the housing payment standards (maximum that HA will spend per zip code in Multomah county) This payment has to cover rent plus utilities. It's low, so finding a spot is hard. Add to this most of my rental history is under mom as primary leasee so places don't see much of a rental history. I'm having extreme issues finding a place.

I've contacted Home forward and they are zero help. I've contacted 211 and they are zero help. I've run down the list they provided and zero help. What makes things worse is if I can, I'd like to skip spending 2k a month it'd cost me in a motel/hotel/air bnb to go up there, do the orientation and find a place. I kinda gotta find a spot while in still in SB if I can.
em2nought

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Everythings ready to go, now I need advice on finding a place.

Post by em2nought »

Do the cats have to go with you right away, and can you live in a tent in somebody's living room? :mrgreen:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/roo ... 06150.html
Stop funding for NPR
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:32 pm
If I still cant find a place that accepts section 8 and my cats or find work I might just look for other cities to live in.
There's always Chicago.

Enlarge Image

But seriously, if it's between a bad situation with cats or a home without cats (temporarily), please consider giving up the cats.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT