Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Being broke SUUUCKS.

Post by hitbyambulance »

you are literally a beggar in this situation; you can not be a chooser.

accept you've hit bottom (in your mind), pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start working your way back up.... frrrrrom the beeeeginnnnninnnnngggggg, if need be.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember cousin Eddie from National Lampoon's Xmas vacation and Clark's wife tells him that cousin Eddie is holding out for a management position.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My current career, 25+ years, all started from a temp job at an internet company making ~$10/hour.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Okay. Well I'm in the position where I could retire early due to my wife's job allowing me to be a stay at home dad and volunteer in my community which is more fulfilling than my previous job. If however things turned for the worse financially I'm sure I'd really hate to go back to work after all this time. Also, my skillset isn't up to date and I won't be getting nearly the salary I had. But you know what? I'd bust my ass and take what I can get because I have a wife and daughter relying on me. Now you have nobody but yourself it seems so I guess one could afford to be choosy since you're not starving and not homeless. Good luck with that I suppose with your safe deposit box filled with silver and whatever that other payout was a few posts ago that you may or may not have to pay back. :pop:

Edit: Would working mess up any financial assistance you would get from the state? I might have missed something but how exactly are you paying for things?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:22 pm Good luck with that I suppose with your safe deposit box filled with silver and whatever that other payout was a few posts ago that you may or may not have to pay back. :pop:
A safe deposit box filled with silver is damn heavy. It's a bit awkward trying to look like you're not carrying sixty pounds when you go into the bank or credit union to fill it up. Silver is not zombie apocalypse approved. :mrgreen:

Do you need to keep your phone number Drazzil? Maybe you could port your mother's number to your phone, and that way when she returns you'll still have choices. You could also probably just get local service on her landline to make it cheaper for now.
Stop funding for NPR
morlac

Post by morlac »

nm
Last edited by morlac on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morlac

Post by morlac »

NM... sorry bad day.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

morlac wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:29 pm NM... sorry bad day.
?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:21 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:22 pm Good luck with that I suppose with your safe deposit box filled with silver and whatever that other payout was a few posts ago that you may or may not have to pay back. :pop:
A safe deposit box filled with silver is damn heavy. It's a bit awkward trying to look like you're not carrying sixty pounds when you go into the bank or credit union to fill it up. Silver is not zombie apocalypse approved. :mrgreen:

Do you need to keep your phone number Drazzil? Maybe you could port your mother's number to your phone, and that way when she returns you'll still have choices. You could also probably just get local service on her landline to make it cheaper for now.
Its a bundle deal and would cost MORE w/o the home phone.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Looks like my DoR case is restarted. HUZZAH!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:22 pm Okay. Well I'm in the position where I could retire early due to my wife's job allowing me to be a stay at home dad and volunteer in my community which is more fulfilling than my previous job. If however things turned for the worse financially I'm sure I'd really hate to go back to work after all this time. Also, my skillset isn't up to date and I won't be getting nearly the salary I had. But you know what? I'd bust my ass and take what I can get because I have a wife and daughter relying on me. Now you have nobody but yourself it seems so I guess one could afford to be choosy since you're not starving and not homeless. Good luck with that I suppose with your safe deposit box filled with silver and whatever that other payout was a few posts ago that you may or may not have to pay back. :pop:

Edit: Would working mess up any financial assistance you would get from the state? I might have missed something but how exactly are you paying for things?
Spent an hour looking for work today, small starts.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I've spent the weekend looking at jobs I may be able to do and specifically applying for them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 pm If only there were a gathering in the near future of companies looking for college graduates...
I'm going to make it to that job fair.
How was the job fair?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:24 pm
Drazzil wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 pm If only there were a gathering in the near future of companies looking for college graduates...
I'm going to make it to that job fair.
How was the job fair?
Thanks for reminding me. For some reason I forgot. I accept responsibility for that, what I did do today though was look up an attendance list, use the hiring all filter, then a full time jobs filter to see whats out there. A lot of the employers were false starts, either too far away to consider, or just hiring restaruant type jobs. A few though might be worth looking in to. I HAD a contact in Enterprise, she was a classmate who really liked me. Years ago she said to look her up if she ever wanted a job at enterprise. I might just facebook her. She may be quite high up now. Other employers might be worth a look into. Including a mortuary.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spring Career Fair - March 7th

Workshops

March 14, 2019 - Job Search Strategies
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:17 pm Spring Career Fair - March 7th

Workshops

I hope you put this on your calendar to repost every 5 days. Maybe someone can coordinate an Uber driver and lunch.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Perhaps Uber Eats for a catered breakfast and a maid service to clean his place while he's out?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:27 pm Perhaps Uber Eats for a catered breakfast and a maid service to clean his place while he's out?
Okay I deserved that. I'm a lazy asshole for missing it. It may have been on my calendar on my old phone. I got a new one and wound up screwing myself kinda.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The only person standing in your way at the moment is you. Always have a backup plan. Single points of failure are unacceptable
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's not the phone. You either make this a priority or you will continue to fail. You need to do something every day. No reminders. No excuses. Do or do not.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sometimes, you just have to trust Craigslist and such. I found my current delivery job via CL. And with the attrition I can go for a promotion pretty soon.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bureau of Labor Statistics
The number of job openings reached a series high of 7.3 million on the last business day of December, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

But those aren't management positions paying $20 an hour. It's a tough market for people holding out for those conditions.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:20 pm But those aren't management positions paying $20 an hour. It's a tough market for people holding out for those conditions.
IDK if you're being sarcastic or not, but that's true anyway. The economy is creating high- and low-end jobs with relatively little in between, partly because those middle-class jobs are the biggest target for automation.

Someone who thinks being broke suuucks would be advised to either get the education/training for the high end, or take a low-end job with advancement potential now, while they are still plentiful enough to be choosy. Holding out for the middle isn't hopeless for a determined job seeker, but it is the least likely to succeed, and will probably the first to be cut when things go south again.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:43 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:27 pm Perhaps Uber Eats for a catered breakfast and a maid service to clean his place while he's out?
Okay I deserved that. I'm a lazy asshole for missing it. It may have been on my calendar on my old phone. I got a new one and wound up screwing myself kinda.
Here's a tip. You're not 95 years old. Use Google calendar (or similar cloud calendar) and it doesn't matter if you get a new phone.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 pm
Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:20 pm But those aren't management positions paying $20 an hour. It's a tough market for people holding out for those conditions.
IDK if you're being sarcastic or not, but that's true anyway. The economy is creating high- and low-end jobs with relatively little in between, partly because those middle-class jobs are the biggest target for automation.

Someone who thinks being broke suuucks would be advised to either get the education/training for the high end, or take a low-end job with advancement potential now, while they are still plentiful enough to be choosy. Holding out for the middle isn't hopeless for a determined job seeker, but it is the least likely to succeed, and will probably the first to be cut when things go south again.
Or he can be like my brother, where he doesn't really want to work, and makes every excuse possible to not find a job.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:27 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Or he can be like my brother, where he doesn't really want to work, and makes every excuse possible to not find a job.
And if that's the case, acknowledge it and drop the pretense. I know a couple of people who manage to eke out an existence without working by cobbling together various government programs and charity and odd jobs and whatnot. One of them lives comfortably and happily on $800/mo plus whatever she can scrounge. I can respect people who find an alternative path through life if they don't complain about being poor and blame everyone else for it.
geezer

Post by geezer »

SMH.

Go get a retail job or a restaurant job. Display minimal competence for 3-6 months. Ask to get into management training. Apply yourself. Get a management job. Then make connections that can take you corporate side if you want to do corporate marketing, or agency side if you want to do that, or just keep moving up the chain or whatever.

FFS man, you could start on this path today and in 2 years be stable and upwardly mobile. Is it glamorous? Fuck no, but it's a decent living and retail is begging for people.

Alternatively check out trade school for what, a year or two, and hook up as an electrician's apprentice or a plumbers apprentice and crush it. You'll be making more than most people on OO in a few years.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Kraken wrote:

Straight sarcasm. Of course those jobs aren't around. But he's turning his nose up at lots of jobs. I want draz to succeed but I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't actually want to work unless everything is perfect and easy and he's being paid above his old job. His dream is not a reality. It's hard to take him serious at this point. Get a job. Then worry about finding the perfect job.
morlac

Post by morlac »

geezer wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:49 pm SMH.

Go get a retail job or a restaurant job. Display minimal competence for 3-6 months. Ask to get into management training. Apply yourself. Get a management job. Then make connections that can take you corporate side if you want to do corporate marketing, or agency side if you want to do that, or just keep moving up the chain or whatever.

FFS man, you could start on this path today and in 2 years be stable and upwardly mobile. Is it glamorous? Fuck no, but it's a decent living and retail is begging for people.

Alternatively check out trade school for what, a year or two, and hook up as an electrician's apprentice or a plumbers apprentice and crush it. You'll be making more than most people on OO in a few years.
I'd settle with just updating the title of the thread to: Being Lazy SUUUCKS, it's overdue for a new one.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:54 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:43 pm
Here's a tip. You're not 95 years old. Use Google calendar (or similar cloud calendar) and it doesn't matter if you get a new phone.
Heh, since I retired and no longer have my corporate Outlook, I live by Google calendar. Absolutely love it!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Workshops

Is there something you aren't telling us about you and Drazzil's mom? Come clean.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:ninja:
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:45 am:ninja:
:lol:
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

My father used to joke about a friend of his, who was lazy beyond belief and made every excuse not to work unless it was a huge paying job, despite having little education and few skills: "They're all out of bank presidents this week."
Derek - Wayward Indie Game Designer/Doer of Many Things/CEO, SimProse Studios
My Steam Developer Clubhouse: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/simprose
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

MindToyGames wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:11 pm
My father used to joke about a friend of his, who was lazy beyond belief and made every excuse not to work unless it was a huge paying job, despite having little education and few skills: "They're all out of bank presidents this week."
I am looking.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:28 pm
Tried making it to this, and failed. My insurance lapsed as I can't drive it and old provider wanted too much to maintain post license. So having my friend drive my car, would also have been illegal with no insurance. Friends Volvo can't make ot that far, as well as special transport. Uber would have been prohibitive. I could have taken a train/metrolink if I didn't have a docs appt.

On the plus side I sign the intake paperwork with a job agency known as EMS at the end of the week so thats good news.

I should also be getting license back in a few weeks to be insured again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:02 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:28 pm
Tried making it to this, and failed. My insurance lapsed as I can't drive it and old provider wanted too much to maintain post license. So having my friend drive my car, would also have been illegal with no insurance. Friends Volvo can't make ot that far, as well as special transport. Uber would have been prohibitive. I could have taken a train/metrolink if I didn't have a docs appt.

On the plus side I sign the intake paperwork with a job agency known as EMS at the end of the week so thats good news.

I should also be getting license back in a few weeks to be insured again.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Ooooooo.....time traveler......no gigs available for that??
He/Him/His/Porcupine