Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Bought a couch and cat tower from costco

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:49 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:32 pm Okay. I guess I can dump the couch and replace it with a few chairs. You guys are right. I guess I will call and cancel.

Fuck a duck.
A few?
One chair. the one in your sig should be fine, right?

OK. IMO - one of your problems, one that you show to us from time to time, is this:

You have a huge desire to spend your money. You FIND a way to do it. Be it scratching posts or silver coins, new couches or pickups and trailers.... SOMETHING. You have the balls to post here about your situation and need for help (kudos) and honesty to share all of this (kudos), but can't see how just completely bone-headed your choices seem to be. You didn't even need the scratching post. You have 3+ cat's and a shitty couch - You have your scratching post.

Here you have Isgrimnur keeping better track of your calendar than you are. Even you seem to communicate some idea that what you are doing and thinking is wrong.

Get some control.
Grab it... it's only YOURS for the taking. We can't help you -actually- do it.
The one on my room is the only comfortable chair in the whole house besides a black folding chair I bought for guests. If I move the chair to the living room Id have to leave it there, which would leave me sitting on a folding chair.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:42 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:23 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 pm My heart went thru my throat when I saw my cat struggle with the couch but ill believe you if I need to cancel.
You didn't believe us for the last ten pages?
Who says I haven't?
We've also been telling you for pages not to touch that money, with the possible exception of the one thing that could replace it (a suit to get a job.)
Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:49 pm You didn't even need the scratching post. You have 3+ cat's and a shitty couch - You have your scratching post.
If you want to spoil them, go find a fence post someone tossed out. Nail it to a scrap of plywood. Wrap it in sisal rope. Scratching post.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:59 pm

The one on my room is the only comfortable chair in the whole house besides a black folding chair I bought for guests. If I move the chair to the living room Id have to leave it there, which would leave me sitting on a folding chair.
That's two chairs already. How many butts do you have? You live alone. How many rooms do you need to sit in? Is your computer in the bedroom? Toss the couch, move your computer there. Now one chair is enough.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:55 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 pm My heart went thru my throat when I saw my cat struggle with the couch but ill believe you if I need to cancel.
Get a little perspective. I've seen cats come through some amazing and unbelievable things. Like nightmare situations/falls/abuse/etc - unless this is some sofa-bed that you collapsed the joint against the cat's spine- I am pretty sure a cat isn't going to fall victim to a messed up old couch. Seriosly. You come across as a little hysterical here. "I bought a new couch because I saw my cat struggle with the couch that I had... it was really hard to see."
Yeah... Couch and tower are bad ideas.
wire

Post by wire »

Our cat is perfectly happy with a $20 scratcher from Petsmart. It is something like this scratcher.

How fast do you think that leather couch will get shredded to pieces by your clowder of cats?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:32 pm Okay. I guess I can dump the couch and replace it with a few chairs. You guys are right. I guess I will call and cancel.

Fuck a duck.
A few?

OK. IMO - one of your problems, one that you show to us from time to time, is this:

You have a huge desire to spend your money. You FIND a way to do it. Be it scratching posts or silver coins, new couches or pickups and trailers.... SOMETHING. You have the balls to post here about your situation and need for help (kudos) and honesty to share all of this (kudos), but can't see how just completely bone-headed your choices seem to be. You didn't even need the scratching post. You have 3+ cat's and a shitty couch - You have your scratching post.

Here you have Isgrimnur keeping better track of your calendar than you are. Even you seem to communicate some idea that what you are doing and thinking is wrong.

Get some control.
I don't suppose it would make you think any better of me if I told you guys that I could make this a "revenue neutral" decision by hocking some silver I bought six years ago? [ps I still have the recepts]

I figure I need a cat tower and sofa more then I need effing silver. If I have to choose between new couch in living room vs old silver rotting in bedroom. I know which I want more.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

wire wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm Our cat is perfectly happy with a $20 scratcher from Petsmart. It is something like this scratcher.

How fast do you think that leather couch will get shredded to pieces by your clowder of cats?
About as fast as my five year old leather recliner is doing. Maybe better because I know I can duct tape an old towel to the edges.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Im being terribly stupid arent I?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I cant defend this shit. fuck. im sorry. I made a terrible emotional decision today. I cant paper it over by selling a hard asset.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Fuck a duck.
A few?

Get some control.
I don't suppose it would make you think any better of me if I told you guys that I could make this a "revenue neutral" decision by hocking some silver I bought six years ago? [ps I still have the recepts]

I figure I need a cat tower and sofa more then I need effing silver. If I have to choose between new couch in living room vs old silver rotting in bedroom. I know which I want more.
The heart wants what the heart wants. Since there are no children involved have at I guess. You certainly are looking for justifications for purchasing a swank leather couch and cat condo. YOLO and all that.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:34 pm I cant defend this shit. fuck. im sorry. I made a terrible emotional decision today. I cant paper it over by selling a hard asset.
If you honestly believe that, and you act on it, then you are taking a huge step, and kudos.

I've been poor all my life, and I know how incredibly alluring it can be to balm yourself with stuff. But in the end, the secret to being poor (and you're poor right now, as the only money is money you can't touch) is take a long, hard look at every single thing and distinguish between 'need' and 'want.' It isn't forever. You've got a lot more options to dig yourself out than I've ever had.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:37 pm
The heart wants what the heart wants. Since there are no children involved have at I guess. You certainly are looking for justifications for purchasing a swank leather couch and cat condo. YOLO and all that.
This was confusing as hell until I realized you weren't Drazzil. For god's sake man, get yourself an avatar!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I suppose I could cancel cable internet netflix and hulu and save 100/mo. I could go back to frontier and directv... maybe save 70 but not pirating would be a huge temptation/burden. Just being honest.

I could sell plasma? I know I shouldn't want to but i have this terrible desire to keep it.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:41 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:37 pm
This was confusing as hell until I realized you weren't Drazzil. For god's sake man, get yourself an avatar!
The decision behind picking an avatar is complex and cannot be rushed...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:40 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:34 pm I cant defend this shit. fuck. im sorry. I made a terrible emotional decision today. I cant paper it over by selling a hard asset.
If you honestly believe that, and you act on it, then you are taking a huge step, and kudos.

I've been poor all my life, and I know how incredibly alluring it can be to balm yourself with stuff. But in the end, the secret to being poor (and you're poor right now, as the only money is money you can't touch) is take a long, hard look at every single thing and distinguish between 'need' and 'want.' It isn't forever. You've got a lot more options to dig yourself out than I've ever had.
BH. I'm going to say this now, and only once. When I get out from under this shit pile I'm in, I'm going to help you out. I don't know the specifics yet but when I do, you will hear from me.

Secondly I think I should set a sobriety date for sometime in the next two weeks and give up and surrender any further alcoholic substances. Ive tapered off about as far down as I can go without surrendering such substances. edit for: And pot. Got to give up pot.

Now would be the time to quit. So I need to pick a date and circle it and go for it.

Suggestions?

Oh yeah. I have an AA meeting picked.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:56 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:40 pm

BH. I'm going to say this now, and only once. When I get out from under this shit pile I'm in, I'm going to help you out. I don't know the specifics yet but when I do, you will hear from me.

Secondly I think I should set a sobriety date for sometime in the next two weeks and give up and surrender any further alcoholic substances. Ive tapered off about as far down as I can go without surrendering such substances. edit for: And pot. Got to give up pot.

Now would be the time to quit. So I need to pick a date and circle it and go for it.

Suggestions?

Oh yeah. I have an AA meeting picked.
One suggestion. Start right now. No date, no last drink. Start now. Decide not to drink anymore.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, gosh. :oops:
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:42 pm I suppose I could cancel cable internet netflix and hulu and save 100/mo.
No! Cancel some of those things. Get slower internet and keep Hulu or Netflix. You have to cut back, but you have to leave yourself some joy, or you end up crashing. Just remember where pleasures are on the list of priorities.

As to that other thing, in regards to TV - I won't tell if you don't. Just being honest.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Right. My friend has oh so kindly volunteered to destroy any pot, booze and paraphernalia I have. It would mean surrendering the two hundred dollars worth of dope in various forms and another five hundred in gizmos.

I could of course sell the gizmos for a few hundred. Couch money?

Of course if we are being *totally* honest, I may need a new system after all. The well rated guy on yelp and google may be an idiot. I probabally should have seen it when he futzed the phone of the guy before me, but his delivery date has slipped five days, and now I'm curious if he can fix it.

And yes I need a new system. I am going to be giving up booze weed and cigars. Full stop. I will need an outlet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:40 pmI've been poor all my life
Nah man.
Mike Todd wrote:I've never been poor, only broke. Being poor is a frame of mind. Being broke is only a temporary situation.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:02 pm Well, gosh. :oops:
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:42 pm I suppose I could cancel cable internet netflix and hulu and save 100/mo.
No! Cancel some of those things. Get slower internet and keep Hulu or Netflix. You have to cut back, but you have to leave yourself some joy, or you end up crashing. Just remember where pleasures are on the list of priorities.

As to that other thing, in regards to TV - I won't tell if you don't. Just being honest.
No. You dont understand. I cant just "scale down" my internet. Its either cable plus voice for 80 plus their scaled down TV package for 20 or just their cable internet for 90. I cant unbundle services without leaving completely.

I can get phone plus shitty adsl from frontier [not fast enough for stream but plenty for piracy] for around 60.

I could also cut shitty boost mobile and get an obama phone, but then goodbye phone number.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

So full honesty here. I bought $120 in oil pen cartridges last thursday before the lien arrived. Im willing to do whatever you guys suggest with it. Im pretty much done with it. And now you guys know literally *everything* about my life.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Im... actually sure I have a secret or two left really, but goddamn, you guys know my whole life.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Didn't they do a dark mirror episode on this? maybe an ATHF?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For what it's worth, there have been a few times that I've laid everything in my life out for OO to mull over, the good, the bad, and the ugly. When I got my divorce, when I got cancer, when I was considering disability (actually, that was Gone Gold, but same difference.) In each case, the people here have come back with advice, input, and resources that got me through it. Not once did they judge me (although they did smack me upside the back of the head a few times with stuff I was missing - and it was always justified.)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

And it looks like as we speak kitty #3 is worsening of a bowel issue that would need a $600 dollar specialist to even diagnose.

And no, I'm not going to sink more money into her. She is old and nearing her time.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:34 pm For what it's worth, there have been a few times that I've laid everything in my life out for OO to mull over, the good, the bad, and the ugly. When I got my divorce, when I got cancer, when I was considering disability (actually, that was Gone Gold, but same difference.) In each case, the people here have come back with advice, input, and resources that got me through it. Not once did they judge me (although they did smack me upside the back of the head a few times with stuff I was missing - and it was always justified.)
To put too fine a point on it, I was buying dope and booze for people that I was hanging out with. Wound up costing me lots. Of course when the shit dries up so do the friends. Last person I cut off was my next door neighbor three weeks ago. Since I have things are much more clear.

Now I need to get free myself. I don't need this shit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Okay; Heres the idea: I keep the couch and the snazzy cat condo. Also. I want a working console. I got mine repaired instead of springing for a new one. I need a working console. I'll settle for my PS4 but if I need to buy a new one, I'll get it from Costco because of the whole "return anytime" thing.

I didn't really have attachment to the PS4.

Am I reasoning off? Wrong somehow? Now'd be the time guys. I've turned. my life over to the hive.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Dear god. I'm truly living in modern times.
naednek

Post by naednek »

man if this is what its like to live in your head I want off.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If you are serious about moving elsewhere to take a professional job, then don't waste money on stuff that you will just have to move in a few weeks or months. You'll need new furniture once you have a new home and reliable income. But buy it out of income, not out of savings. Savings are for investing (in yourself, or just to earn more money) and for emergencies. A cat with a claw snag is not an emergency.

That said, $620 is not worth beating yourself up over. Hopefully you'll be building a new life long before you get down to your last $620. To me, the main bummer is that now you're going to haul that stuff along with you. If you're really contemplating a long-distance move, you want to be divesting and downsizing until then.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:08 pm If you are serious about moving elsewhere to take a professional job, then don't waste money on stuff that you will just have to move in a few weeks or months. You'll need new furniture once you have a new home and reliable income. But buy it out of income, not out of savings. Savings are for investing (in yourself, or just to earn more money) and for emergencies. A cat with a claw snag is not an emergency.

That said, $620 is not worth beating yourself up over. Hopefully you'll be building a new life long before you get down to your last $620. To me, the main bummer is that now you're going to haul that stuff along with you. If you're really contemplating a long-distance move, you want to be divesting and downsizing until then.
I have no other furniture plans. The only major expense is [maybe] a new system if the guy I gave the old one to cant fix it.

Im giving up the drugs and booze for good this time. I'm through.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I guess hearing people say that you should put off or go for a cheaper purchase until you figure out your living situation and actually are getting a paycheck is not an option you're willing to entertain.

You're an adult and have no human dependents relying on you for survival so the choice is yours.
Black lives matter!

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

naednek wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:08 pm man if this is what its like to live in your head I want off.
me too.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:29 pm I guess hearing people say that you should put off or go for a cheaper purchase until you figure out your living situation and actually are getting a paycheck is not an option you're willing to entertain.

You're an adult and have no human dependents relying on you for survival so the choice is yours.
I'm fighting a multiple front battle. And no I should do this as cheaply as possible.
Chrisoc13

Drazzil mega thread: Bought a couch and cat tower from costco

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Man I'm so blown away by the thread repeatedly. Honestly. My wife and I make decent money, and I wouldn't have bought that couch or scratching pole with my income. Honestly the trick is just stop spending money.

Also sorry- but $1000 for a suit... Wtf? You aren't Tom Brady going to a gala at the met. Go get one at a big retailer and they will tailor it to for a reasonable price. $1000 is way too much to be budgeting. Get the best looking affordable suit off the rack you can find. The last suit I bought was for interviews just a few years ago and it cost me maybe a third what you're budgeting, looked pretty great, and I could have probably gone cheaper and still looked good. Just lower your budget on most everything. You don't have that kind of money.

And I've given my opinion on beer and pot before in your threads and it was disagreed with but... You don't need either. People don't actually "need" a vice. Stop both and go to support groups. It's sounding like a huge waste of money and effort.
Last edited by Chrisoc13 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He doesn’t even need to buy a suit. The college has a wardrobe day where they can give him a suit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:43 pm Man I'm so blown away by the thread repeatedly. Honestly. My wife and I make decent money, and I wouldn't have bought that couch or scratching pole with my income. Honestly the trick is just stop spending money.

Also sorry- but $1000 for a suit... Wtf? You aren't Tom Brady going to a gala at the met. Go get one at a big retailer and they will tailor it to for a reasonable price. $1000 is way too much to be budgeting. Get the best looking affordable suit off the rack you can find. The last suit I bought was for interviews just a few years ago and it cost me maybe a third what you're budgeting, looked pretty great, and I could have probably gone cheaper and still looked good. Just lower your budget on most everything. You don't have that kind of money.

And I've given my opinion on beer and pot before in your threads and it was disagreed with but... You don't need either. People don't actually "need" a vice. Stop both and go to support groups. It's sounding like a huge waste of money and effort.
Yes. I did mention going to groups and I said I "could" spend a grand on the suit. Not that I would. Edit for agreed on the rest.
Last edited by Drazzil on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

So all cards on the table. You guys know what I know. I might not listen about the couch or even the cat condo, but I'm giving up the booze and weed on monday. Once thats gone its not coming back.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Once you tell the body "stop" rather then "really slow down" it becomes a completely different game.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow