RIP Stan Mikita

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

RIP Stan Mikita

Post by Jeff V »

Farewell, Stash. One of my all time favorite hockey players from the golden age. His wife was a nurse at the hospital where I was born, he lived in my hometown for a time (as well as his teammate Tony Esposito). When I was young, I got into hockey watching games with my maternal grandmother, who had a debilitating illness and died in 74. I met Stash once...back then the Hawks owned the town and autograph signings were major events drawing thousands.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Re: RIP Stan Mikita

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:37 pm Farewell, Stosh. One of my all time favorite hockey players from the golden age. His wife was a nurse at the hospital where I was born, he lived in my hometown for a time (as well as his teammate Tony Esposito). When I was young, I got into hockey watching games with my maternal grandmother, who had a debilitating illness and died in 74. I met Stosh once...back then the Hawks owned the town and autograph signings were major events drawing thousands.
FTFY....
Sad, sad day for Chicago hockey fans.
Was fortunate enough to meet him several times and each time he was as cordial as could be.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Put your hand up if you discovered who Stan Mikita was via Wayne's World.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I grew up in Louisiana, so my knowledge of hockey is limited to Sega's NHL 94. Sadly, I knew the name Stan Makita, but couldn't tell you a think about him.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:37 pm Farewell, Stash.
Got into an argument in a bar once because I claimed it was Stosh (due to him being a Czech). The other guy, a Hawks fan, insisted it was 'Stache (owing to a mustache he had at some point?). This was pre-google-your-answer so we eventually agreed to disagree after about 30 minutes.

I never saw him play live in person, or even on TV, but some of my earliest hockey memories are of hearing him and the hated Blackhawks play live on the radio towards the end of his career. He always transcended that fan rivalry though. I remember hearing his name spoken with reverence, along with Hull and Esposito.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

My brother tells a story of his days managing a Skokie Sherwin Williams paint store. There was a corporate dealie which had Stan Makita gladhanding the SW employees and signing paraphernalia. My brother got his 8 × 10 glossy into Stan's hands and (thinking of giving it to our father) asked him if he could sign it "Gordie Sucks". Makita thought about it for a moment with a gleam in his eyes, but being too much of a gentleman, kindly declined to do so.

Would've been great.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Back in the '70's, the Hawks were about the only successful sports team for many years. I remember once Keith Magnuson was doing an autograph signing at an applicance store in Berwyn -- the line stretched around the block and my mother indulged us by waiting with us 2 hours so we could get a signed B&W 8x10.

Fast forward to year 1 AW (After Wirtz). In an attempt to lure fans back to the sport, Toews and Kane (pre-stardom for both) were sitting at a table outside of Union Station. They were largely ignored and perhaps resented for being an extra obstacle for hurried commuters on their way to the train. Recognition was a big part -- that 70's Hawks team played in the pre-helmet days, and their faces instantly recognizable, even by casual fans. These days, I would recognize very few if I saw them on the street.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:25 am Recognition was a big part -- that 70's Hawks team played in the pre-helmet days, and their faces instantly recognizable, even by casual fans.
Heh, funny enough, Mikita was a helmet pioneer after a puck took his ear off. Pre-1970 I think. But he was already recognizable by then undoubtedly.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
DD*

Post by DD* »

Excellent munchables. This is Glen, the manager. He’s here 24 hours a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg