Making calls from outside the US

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Making calls from outside the US

Post by McNutt »

I'm traveling to Poland this weekend for work and I need to add a plan feature that allows me to receive texts and make calls while there. Right now I'm using Cricket and they don't have anything like that. I can call Poland, but I can't call from Poland.

What do you guys do when you travel to Europe? I'm thinking of switching to Verizon. I'm just too used to my $55 plan with Cricket.
Isgrimnur

Re: Making calls from outside the US

Post by Isgrimnur »

Buy a prepaid Polish SIM while you're over there.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

McNutt wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 amWhat do you guys do when you travel to Europe? I'm thinking of switching to Verizon. I'm just too used to my $55 plan with Cricket.
When I worked for a luxury yacht manufacturer, they'd frequently send people overseas - and each trip involved adjusting the Verizon plan for international calls/data so they weren't raked over the coals as soon as the employee got off the plane. It was like a $30 charge to swap things around, but saved hundreds in other costs. We'd switch it back when they came home to stop spending extra on data.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cricket doesn't provide roaming coverage outside of North America.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pmCricket doesn't provide roaming coverage outside of North America.
McNutt wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 amI'm thinking of switching to Verizon.
Why I referenced Verizon. :wink:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:tjg:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 pm
McNutt wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 amWhat do you guys do when you travel to Europe? I'm thinking of switching to Verizon. I'm just too used to my $55 plan with Cricket.
When I worked for a luxury yacht manufacturer, they'd frequently send people overseas - and each trip involved adjusting the Verizon plan for international calls/data so they weren't raked over the coals as soon as the employee got off the plane. It was like a $30 charge to swap things around, but saved hundreds in other costs. We'd switch it back when they came home to stop spending extra on data.
I'm on Verizon, and I do this for international trips. Their website lets you add a temporary international travel plan pretty easily. The rates vary by country, but are generally decent. Not cheap, but vastly better than international roaming.

Isgrimm's recommendation -- a prepaid local SIM -- is definitely the cheapest option.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Google Fi lets you use your phone pretty much anywhere, free if you're on WiFi and cheap if you're not. The last I remember the US T-Mobile accounts work in Europe at pretty low rates.
Last edited by DOS=HIGH on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:59 pm Isgrimm's recommendation -- a prepaid local SIM -- is definitely the cheapest option.
It's what I do when I go to the Philippines. Once I got my company to pay a $275 international roaming bill, but they no longer subsidize phone use at all.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TMobile gives you free intl data. The only good thing about their service, really, but that’s a biggie if you travel outside the US a lot.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I have Verizon and when my Wife and son were in Barcelona we paid for the plan that let us use our current plan overseas. It was $10 a day and it allowed access to our data and wireless minutes. So they were there for 5 days and it was $100 total added to my bill for the two of them to use their phone.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just switched to Verizon. I'm not worried about the cost per day overseas because work is paying for it. I just needed a plan that allowed calls from overseas.

Thanks for the advice.
mori

Post by mori »

I use Verizon and when I was in England earlier this year, I was really unhappy on the data component of the plan. Calls worked great, but using any apps in England was an exercise in frustration until I could find free wifi.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:05 pm I have Verizon and when my Wife and son were in Barcelona we paid for the plan that let us use our current plan overseas. It was $10 a day and it allowed access to our data and wireless minutes. So they were there for 5 days and it was $100 total added to my bill for the two of them to use their phone.
Wife just used Verizon's plan in Ireland. The first version that she switched to charged her $90 for the whole week, but she rang them up and changed it to a per-day, minutes-based thing that ultimately only came out to $30. Also, I'm told that Whats-App doesn't use one's data plan as normal texting does, so we used that for a week too.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Second on Google Fi being real solid for international. Depending on how much you'll be in wifi, whatsapp might be an option. When I was in India for a week before I switched to Fi, I used that to text my wife, and it worked okay.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Montag

Post by Montag »

At&t has a $10/day international that gives you what your plan is.

Been to Poland myself. Enjoyed the people. Roads were layed out poorly. Took forever to navigate rural areas.
words