We Adopted a Dog! [Praise Your Pets!]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

We Adopted a Dog! [Praise Your Pets!]

Post by Holman »

We just adopted a dog! (I don't believe we have a general-service pets thread, so feel free to use this one.)

My wife and I have loved the idea of adopting a dog almost since we met 23 years ago, and now that our kids are able to help we have finally done it.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Gus is a lab and hound mix, 5 months old, very lanky and leggy. At first he was shy, but he has already gotten used to sleeping in his place, and today he is frisky and every bit a family dog. His litter mates all had yellow-/black-lab coats, but Gus is red like a Rhodesian Ridgeback or a classic Southern Black-Faced Cur.

Our rescue group brought him and his siblings from South Carolina, where it seems they may have had a difficult or at least troubled upbringing. He's thinner than he needs to be, so we're trying to flesh him out. He does love to eat.

"Gus" is for "August," when we got him. Or maybe "Augustus." Who knows? He's great! Say hello!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Re: We Adopted a Dog! [Praise Your Pets!]

Post by Jeff V »

The Gus of August? Are you a Barbara Tuchman fan?

Congrats on the new pooch! My wife would like to get a lab puppy (translation...I don't spend enough time and money on pets nobody appreciates already). Were I to get a dog of my choosing, a lab is the likely choice. But right now we have an upper middle aged shiatzu who doesn't shed (but requires expensive grooming periodically) and seems to be the friendliest dog in the world despite killing her two previous owners.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gus can be Gustov too. Congrats to you and thank you for saving him! He is adorable. Other than the true love of a spouse theres nothing better than the love and friendship of a dog. You should have so many great years of fun and friendship with him.

This is Buster. We rescued him from a shelter thanks to my sister in 2015. We got a little weight on him since then so he may weight 5 lbs. He is a ball to be around and such a loving little guy. So smart and frisky too. They really light up your life.

And our pooches match color!
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:42 pm (I don't believe we have a general-service pets thread, so feel free to use this one.)
What's wrong with this one?

Gus looks happy, glad he's settling in. Hopefully he doesn't chew the leg off your coffee table while you are at work. My co-worker's dog did that last month and now I overhear him yelling at his dog through his phone at least once a day.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:00 am
Holman wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:42 pm (I don't believe we have a general-service pets thread, so feel free to use this one.)
What's wrong with this one?

Gus looks happy, glad he's settling in. Hopefully he doesn't chew the leg off your coffee table while you are at work. My co-worker's dog did that last month and now I overhear him yelling at his dog through his phone at least once a day.
Ah, I missed that thread when I looked!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

From front to back XiaoXiao, Buster, and Baylee. Baylee is from the pound, the other two I got from breeders. Next dog will either be from the pound or a Boston Terrier like Buster. The Shih Tzu barks way too much although I keep him inside most of the time.

Baylee has had a storied history. When she was about five years old, she and I went outside to water the garden. I got a phone call, came back out and she was gone. She was microchipped with a collar with a tag with two phone numbers on it. For a year and a half I heard nothing until one night a vet called and he had Baylee. Which was unbelievable. She was about 10 miles from home when she was found on the street. She doesn't go outside to the front anymore even if I would allow it. So happy to have her back.

Me and rescue organizations haven't gotten along real well so I would get a dog from the local animal shelter instead.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our shiatsu never barks unless there a door separating her from us. Not even when other, yappy shiatsus are barking their heads off at her.

She just kills. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Mine goes into the dog run and barks at the neighbors. He'll do it all night long if I let him. My friend's Shih Tzu (note the spelling!!! :) ) barks like crazy as well. Bostons only bark when someone is close to the door, they are not barkers. Chihuahuas are normally barkers but Baylee is not, must be the other breed she's mixed with.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I bought a little stuffed thing that looks like a comic book quote balloon that says: Someone is at the door, let me sing to them!

Perfect for my Rat Terrier. :wub:
-mf
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Lorini wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 am My friend's Shih Tzu (note the spelling!!! :) )
Thank you! :)
Shiatsu is a form of Japanese bodywork based on ideas in traditional Chinese medicine
Holman

Post by Holman »

We have decided that Gus is mostly a "Black Mouth Cur," which sounds like a Shakespearean insult but is actually a respectable dog breed.

Of course the most important stats are class and alignment. His favorite toy is a plush green dragon that he defeats several times a day, so we are beginning to suspect that he is an aspiring Paladin. We're currently looking for advice on how to counter the more stubborn and inappropriate traits of Lawful Good.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

gbasden wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:43 pm
Lorini wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 am My friend's Shih Tzu (note the spelling!!! :) )
Thank you! :)
Shiatsu is a form of Japanese bodywork based on ideas in traditional Chinese medicine
The temp groomer we got for our Shih Tzu called him a Shit Zoo, so Shiatsu is at least better than that! :D
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Beery and Gus patiently waiting for second dinner.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

After losing our dog Koda earlier this year my wife surprised me this weekend with an early Birthday present.

Meet Kylo (Great Pyrenees).

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That’s one happy cloud.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The burned and mutilated cat we adopted 16 or so years ago is still alive and kicking. Survived his second toddler. Wakes me up at 4:30 most mornings as a subtle form of torture.

We're two old men in a house of youthful chaos and damned if we don't let the couch know it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Felix has been around a long time. My daughter got him as a kitten, then he was here for a while. Then my son took him up to the frozen tundra of Big Bear, and now he is back. He spends his days searching for perches in the sun.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Warren's been with us for a month now, and has come to dominate the household. Every day is a new episode of The Warren Show, and we're all supporting actors.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mooshy is about five months old, we’ve had her for three. Purchased from an AKC breeder.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Been without a bunny for two years now. Wife is itchin' to get one. I'm game but I've asked for a report on my desk outlining how we deal with going on vacation since it's hard to board a rabbit. Especially one as spoiled as ours end up.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Stella says hi!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire