Walking, lots of walking (gear recommendations)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: Walking, lots of walking (gear recommendations)

Post by Kasey Chang »

Not with those odd sizes though. Guess my idea of ordering boots are out. *sigh*

Apparently, I am a Size 10 / 4E with extra height. Which basically means I have to order "diabetic shoes". Online, I am ordering 11 / 4E or 5E.

I just discovered a brand called Propet which makes these odd sizes with velcro top so they are much easier to adjust. And they are available on Amazon Wardrobe which means I can try and send them back if I don't like them.

Looks like I have to send the New Balance back on Monday. *sigh* I like the guy who helped me, but it's my $$$. $175 for a pair of sneakers is a lot,
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

mori wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:21 pm The best money you will ever spend on footwear. Proper fitting shoes.
The problem is I can't return them if I try them out in real world conditions, i.e. wear them to work on Monday. *sigh*

Maybe I'll only wear them inside the house for a day or two and see if the shoe stretches a little.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Popping in with a recommendation of Sierra Trading Post as a source of Merino wool blend socks at decent prices.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Looking up socks found Dickies also made merino wool blend... 2 pairs for $13. But it has only like 30% wool.

I thought of something else, and looked up "diabetic socks", and they make bamboo cotton blend, 5 pair ankle socks for $16.

Sierra Trading Post does have merino wool blend socks by Sierra Sock Company and Wigwam Donovans both on clearance ($4 per pair) and they seem better. I am buying 6 pairs (3 each). With $6 shipping it comes out to be $32. We'll see if they are signiicantly better than my Dickies Dri-tech cotton blends. ;)

I am also looking into laces. Zubits magnetic lacing solution $22 vs. elastic laces like Hickies $18 or the Chinese clones $8.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife swears by compression socks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am trying my low-socks and no-show socks. Somehow, they are really... snug. It must be my thick ankles.

I am guessing I will take back these NB 990's. Even with thinner socks my 10.5 4E is tight around the widest part of my feet. It's just not feeling right. Maybe my older shoes (11.5 Wide) have spoiled me. This 10.5 4E just feels... a bit too snug. I haven't even taken the tags off, so it should be fine as a return.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I got this pair from Amazon in 11 3E size.

Propet Men's Cush N Foot Slipper/Shoe

F***, this is the MOST comfortable shoe I've ever worn, bar none. The top is velcro enclosure, no laces, no elastic, NOTHING except the velcro, which means it's infinitely adjustable. I got it in 11 XW (11 3E) and it's got PLENTY of room for my toes AND my wide feet. And yes, technically it's a "diabetic shoe".

Which means this pair of NB 990 is going back. If he got it in 11 or 11.5 4E, I may exchange it. If not, sorry, buddy, I need a refund.

And I figured out my foot's "compatibility problem". My extra-tall feet means I have to over-size the shoes, not just width, but length as well, to accomodate the toes and the big-toe-joint. The 10.5 4E is wide enough... BUT NOT TALL ENOUGH. Oversizing it to 11 4E should give the top of the foot enough room.

Wonder if I should get one more pair as backup: Propet Men's Cliff Walker boot and will 11 XW (3E) fit me as well? Or will I have to go even larger? It's available as part of Prime Wardrobe. It has a "sneaker-like" cousin Propet Men's Ridge Walker which looks more of high-top-sneaker than boot, but maybe that's all I needed.

I also picked New Balance MW813 Walking (11 6E) and Propet Men's Stability Walker in 11 5E, as all four are available as Prime Wardrobe. Haven't shipped it yet though.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went back to NB and exchanged the shoe from 10.5/4E for a 10.5/6E. They don't have it in store, so they'll ship it to me free shipping. We'll see if that works out or not. If that still doesn't work, I'll make them exchange it again (I told him I want 11/4E he said 10.5/6E will work. Guess he doesn't want to issue a refund unless I absolutely demand it. ;)

I wore the Propet "velcro" shoes to work today. It is comfy, but seems to come loose as I walk throughout the day. And there wasn't much cushioning. It's comfortable in short stretches.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I bought some arch support "gel pads" to see if those help my shoes feel better. The glue on these pads are worthless. They shift around in my shoe (well, admitted I didn't "clean" them before sticking them in). They feel a bit too big, IMHO. And you have to get the fit "just right" to make them not feeling weird. In the end, I took them back out.

Today is a 14000 step day, delivered like 60+ boxes, most of them to dorm rooms around Stanford. I just leave them at the bottom near the door. Don't expect me to go up flights of stairs. Even UPS folks don't lug it up to individual dorms. Finished right at 10PM. I guess I need to Amazon Wardrobe another 3 pairs and see which ones work for me. :-P And these shoes are like $80-90 each pair.

My backpack broke (!) Actually, one of the shoulder strap buckles broke. Weird. Returning it to Amazon. Now I have to make do with my tiny little sling-pack again... Until I get my new bag in. That backpack may be a bit TOO big, even though it's a 24L daypack. I changed to an ultra-light rain jacket instead of the company hooded jacket. My rain pants are in, but I'm not taking that to work yet. I basically need places to stow my rain pants, (rain) jacket, and 2 bottles of water, plus my sandwich and misc spare tools. I think I just need better organization. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

16000 steps yesterday, wandering around apartments. Some folks don't know when to include building numbers in an apartment complex or assume we deliver during leasing office business hours. :-P

Some people just assume we can magically know where everything is. We're NOT the USPS... or even UPS. I've been working for weeks and I've yet to revisit a place.

Looking into bags and what a crazy world that is as well. Tactical bags can go for several hundred, as some of you into rucking are fond of telling me.

Right now, my little slingbag seems to be working except I need to add another attachment so I can store accessories like sunblock. Main compartment is for water and food, main body pocket for safety vest, one side compartment for light jacket. If I add another MOLLE pocket I should be set until I need rain pants, but by then my other bag should be here. :)

I thought I wanted a backpack, but it seems a messenger bag would do as well. 5.11 actually makes a "vehicle bag" that sort of serves as a passenger seat organizer/pistol range bag. Probably a bit too big for me.

Oh, and one of my flashlight broke. Actually, I should clarify... The front lens fell off. The LED is fine. :-P What a piece of junk. At least it's cheap (didn't pay more than 10 for it) I have another one, but the switch is getting a bit finicky. And I need the flashlight at night to see door numbers. (The company provided flashlight is either missing... or is utter crap they ordered off Amazon)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Invest in a good flashlight. You don't want to have it fail when you really need it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:26 am Now I really want to see a pic of Kasey all kitted out.
+1
:coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm very bad with selfies. :)

In the past four weeks, I've apparently spent over 1000 outfitting myself, commuting, AND eating out. But I made it to permanent and soon I'll have health insurance. :) Among other things. My purchases hopefully will taper off, and then I can start paying off the credit card (which I had it nearly maxed for a year or two, as I was virtually unemployed before that and barely making enough minimum payments through Amazon affiliates and other misc income).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congrats!

Ask a coworker to take a photo.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I bought one of those elastic shoelace-replacements and that's when my abnormal feet really sank in. Typically, sneakers have like 6 lace hole-pairs. Turns out, I only need 4 to keep my shoes on. My foot is extra-thick, that the laces for the last two sets are just bunched up near 4th anyway. I put in the fifth one, then realized it's pointless, except for looks. :-P
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I was wondering if you've turned a profit yet? I'd hate to see what it would cost to outfit you for a lawn service. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Oh, my bank account had more money than ever. I should add another 1200 to my credit card to shrink the finance charges.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I bought this replacement shoelaces and it works pretty well. It's made of stretchy silicone that resembles laces due to textures, but they only come in fixed sizes. It comes with 9 different sizes, but I only needed 5. Threading them through some of the holes are not that easy, but the sizes are pretty good and they are not too tight.

Oh, and I found the missing piece of my "broken" flashlight. Apparently the front lens "came off". Argh. I put them back. But I already ordered a new one off Amazon.

One of the bad things about the vehicle is their cup-holders don't hold the 32-oz bottles I got. However, you can buy "adapters". :-P

I ordered a second battery case for my Galaxy S6. I can keep that thing charged while I use my other battery case, and swapping the case is faster than waiting for the combination to charge. And this system ensures my phone is always has power. By the time the 2nd one runs out, the first one is charged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My new bag is in, and I felt I've made a mistake. This bag is way too thin, and the side pockets are useless. I can hang two MOLLE pouches in the front, or one pouch and one bottle carrier, and use it as tall messenger bag, leaving the main compartment for clothes, but somehow, I am very disappointed at this particular purchase. I can stuff my safety vest, jacket, and rain pants into the 3 main compartments, leaving a MOLLE pouch for misc. and bottle carrier. I guess I can hang a dump pouch on either one of those for temporary carriage... Hmmm... It may work. *sigh*
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My Merino Wool socks are in. One's labeled as "lightweight winter blend". Wah? It feels soft though. I'm trying the other one for now. Feels polyester-y, and thin.

EDIT: After wearing it a whole day, I can't say whether my feet are drier or not as my feet usually don't sweat much, but they do feel a bit cooler. This is the "Wigwam" version. I'll try the "winter-blend" version tomorrow.

The bag was as I feared... the main compartment is way too narrow and thin, and the side pockets are worthless. I was able to hang the bottle holder and the aux pouch, which leaves no room to hang the dump pouch except ON one or the other pouches. Hmmm... OTOH it is a good size to travel with. Pants, shirts, and such do fit in there, barely as would tablets, books, magazines and maybe even a thin laptop. If I am going on a day trip, and bring only one change of clothes with me, I may use this. Otherwise... I need something more "traditional sized". Still debating whether to return this or not. Hmmm...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, the bag can stay... for now. I managed to squeeze in my safety vest, my rain pants, AND my rain jacket and I think I can still fit in some "thin" stuff. The two side pockets *are* useless except to store a spare stowable bag in case I need to carry something else. Right now I have bottle carrier and stash pouch on the MOLLE section, and I think I have to hang the folding dump pouch on the stash pouch. With a few D-rings and whatnot it's workable.

Tried the other pair of merino wool mix socks. Despite being advertised as "winterblend", it feels fine for wearing today. Thinner than my cotton socks, I think it does feel a bit cooler than my cotton socks.

My new pair of New Balance (the $175 pair) came in, will give it a try tomorrow... AFTER I go to my doctor's appointment.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I apparently weighed in two months ago at my doctor's appt at 287. My weigh-in today... 276. Back then I was in jeans and button-up shirt. I'm t-shirt and shorts today, but it can't make that much of a difference. I guess this job does have some benefits.

Was looking through some messenger bags. It seems it's either Timbuk2 or some no-name crap, unless I want to pay for something a bit more exotic, like Savage Industries EDC-ONE or EDC-TWO (yes, from Adam "Mythbusters" Savage) and maybe its relatives at Mafiabags.com, where all the stuff is made from upcycled sailcloth and such.

Timbuk2 has a commute Messenger Bag (Medium) in jetblack on sale for $77, which seems to be pretty darn good.

or perhaps, Frost River Waxed Canvas Carrier Brief bag at $120.

Or I can go military surplus. Finnish shoulder bag for $15... roughly same size as the EDC-TWO (10L capacity) at $150. Or buy a new Rothco for about $30 on Amazon. They're a bit of "meh" based on reviews though.

For cleverness I have to admire the Mafia bags Day Runner... It's a messenger bag that can be unfolded into a tote for extra capacity. But it costs $140.

Seems the Timbuk2 Commute Messenger Bag (M) on sale is my best bet. I'll put it on my Christmas wish list. EDIT: Turns out it's almost always available on Amazon for $70 or so.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Wore my brand f***ing new NB N990V4 in 10.5 6E to work. It is the most comfortable shoe I've ever wore. (yes, better than those "slipper-shoe" I praised earlier). This has EXCELLENT heel support and there is no pinching around the big toe joint or the toe box area. The problem was it costs almost $200 after taxes and all that. So it'll likely remain my ONLY pair for a while. I still have my old Avia and the slipper shoe if I need variety. Guess I'll hold off on the Amazon Wardrobe shoe quest for now, unless I really really want to buy a pair of boots, which I don't, at least, not in the "near" future.

Right now, the plan was to retire the entire credit card debt, or at least a significant chunk of it. Then I guess I can start looking forward to upgrade my room, which is a total disaster area.

I may need another backpack / messenger bag as my current bag is at capacity. It can hold rain pants, (rain) jacket, safety vest, 32-oz water jug, and misc supplies, plus a pouch for lunch. But it currently has no change of clothes, which I expect I'll need when winter comes. I'm still debating whether I want a backpack or messenger bag or shoulder bag. I have travel shoulder bags (artifact from long ago) but they are not meant for work, just travel, as they are full leather.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:39 am I may need another backpack / messenger bag as my current bag is at capacity. It can hold rain pants, (rain) jacket, safety vest, 32-oz water jug, and misc supplies, plus a pouch for lunch. But it currently has no change of clothes, which I expect I'll need when winter comes. I'm still debating whether I want a backpack or messenger bag or shoulder bag. I have travel shoulder bags (artifact from long ago) but they are not meant for work, just travel, as they are full leather.
If you'd like a small but durable and surprisingly-accomodating shoulder bag with MOLLE webbing and several D-rings for attaching other items, I recommend getting yourself one of these:

Enlarge Image

I use mine primarily as a pistol range bag, but I would think it'll easily contain most of what you need and then some.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have the JUNIOR version of that bag sold by G4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTZVU4S/

One less pouch than yours (no pouch under the velcro panels up top). That's the one I lamented about not having enough storage that prompted me to buy a larger bag. :)

I think yours is about 50% larger, assuming those are 1 inch MOLLE straps.

EDIT: Yours is about 14x6.5x11 (11L?) My baby-sized one is 8x5.5x10 (7L)

EDIT: Assuming same attachment options... Hmmm... I can put bottle carrier on one side MOLLE, and accessory pouch on another side, with the dump pouch on the front, as in on the smaller bag. You're right, it may be good enough. But it is better than my current thin bag? I dunno. I anticipate taking a trip in April (apparently my sister's getting married) and I think I need a bit of "regular luggage" rather than another iteration. I guess I can always whip out my "Alienware" 17 inch laptop bag when it comes to that...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am looking at this Fox Outdoor Products Modular Field Pack While the ratings are not that good, there is a TON of MOLLE spaces for attachments. The main problem is the black version cost more than what I want to pay, considering the green version is like half the price. :)
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:33 pm I am looking at this Fox Outdoor Products Modular Field Pack While the ratings are not that good, there is a TON of MOLLE spaces for attachments. The main problem is the black version cost more than what I want to pay, considering the green version is like half the price. :)
Alas, that one also lacks the nifty flag patch.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hmmm, I thought there's a place for them between the two top compression straps. :)

There's the LAPG 3 Day Backpack 2.0 for $55.

Not *quite* as much as MOLLE as the modular, and more expensive, but it's over all the relevant surfaces, and looks pretty darn big. I think there's a clone of that too by Reebow

This one is $26 and actually looks not bad.

Alternately, there's the SOG Ninja, which I had to return due to a broken buckle, as the shoulder strap was only 1 inch thick. This one has several "clones" but are not much cheaper. It has a 24L capacity, so it's like a true day-pack. There's also a 39L version called SOG Opord.
Anonymous Bosch

That one does look like a decent deal. All the moreso since it apparently also includes the essential flag patch. ;)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've been sidelined by an injury. It appears I pulled a tendon in my right knee. I've never been a flexible guy to begin with, and I must have pulled it when I stepped wrong off a step somewhere while doing deliveries in San Francisco.

My local Chinese doctor got me on some topical meds and gave me some *tui-na* (Chinese therapeutic massage) which seems more like torture, as according to him, we need to stretch the tendon else if it "heals" in the shrunk position it'll be a lot harder to rehab. So right now my knee is staying straight and unbend, which means I can't drive and I can barely walk. Sitting down is a chore. I need to take 2 days off and hopefully add this to the weekend, and I'll be okay for Monday.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:55 am
That one does look like a decent deal. All the moreso since it apparently also includes the essential flag patch. ;)
I can't get the measurements of that one, but I found a look-alike (probably re-badged) and it claims capacity of 40L. That's a pretty f***ing huge pack.

EDIT: Darn it, price just went up to $33. Hah.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

After wearing the merino wool blend socks, the Wigwam socks seem to fit better, even though it felt stiffer, more nylon-y, but Sierra Trading Post is out of them. The other one from Sierra Sock Company is tighter, but there are some still available at Sierra Trading Post at $4 per pair.

EDIT: Turns out there are merino wool blend socks on Amazon at 3 pairs for $15. and given I already have Prime, it's probably cheaper than ordering from Sierra Trading Post once you count shipping.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Noticed a different convertible bag called Ohyo bag that converts from tablet bag all the way to shopping grocery bag. and messenger bag too. $50 quids It was on Kickstarter, and it has a separate retail outlet. Doesn't say the capacity, but it's... very interesting.

http://ohyo.me/ohyo_bag
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Turns out the company didn't schedule me for Monday, so I ended up going back to work on Tuesday. And the tendon is completely healed, or at least, didn't creak at all. I have general soreness but that's from the carrying and walking. For Friday, I was going quite fast, delivering all 50 boxes between 2 and 7. May have gone a little faster except a couple pauses for bathroom breaks.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I went ahead and bought the 26 now 33 backpack. The smaller pack just doesn't have enough room for all the things I wanted to carry. And this pack is HUGE, with multiple main pockets and multiple side pockets. I am not sure I like the flappy-top design but apparently it's for tying down a bedroll or sleeping bag and allows over-filling the bag if need be.

I have to get my room completely redone and reorganize my wardrobe, but that's a different topic altogether.

Previously I reported on the "lace replacement" rubber band thingie that turns laced shoes into a slip-on. After trying it for a month, I find out that it's okay for short trips (you only wear the shoe for couple hours). But if you are wearing the shoes all day, you want shoelaces. After extended wearing, the front of the shoes (near the toes) feel a little loose and the back of the shoe (near the ankle) got tight, even though I used the largest bands for the back.

One of the other no-lace solutions may work, the ones that combine two bands together so they are infinitely resizable, may work better, but I don't really want to spend another 20 bucks on just an experiment. I guess I am just happy with regular shoelaces for now.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I changed my mind about my feet sweating. They *do* sweat. I found out when I went a day without socks when I went to my local Chinese doctor to get one of my tendons in my ankle treated. He put something on it, and I can't put socks over it. So I didn't wear any and went to work. After six hours, my feet... starts to feel a little weird without socks. I managed to finish the day, but it was not a pleasant experience. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Took a spill yesterday. Was walking down a heavily inclined driveway when my foot went out from under me, and I ended up doing a twist so I didn't face plant. But I scraped the heck out of both knees and right elbow. Had to lay on the ground for 2 minutes to recover. Turns out there's a slight difference of slope between the two lanes in the drive-way and I managed to step on the gap. Gah. At least I didn't twist my ankle... Or something worse. Good thing I carry wet wipes and antibiotic cream in my bag for first aid.

I'm debating carrying a larger first aid kit. The one included in the van barely contains a couple band-aids. It's palm-sized. I have an LAPG "pocket trauma kit" I got free but it's probably for something a bit more serious. *sigh*

Right now I've cleaned the wound and got aloe and stuff on it. But it's obviously uncomfortable. Argh.

EDIT: Turns out I did twist my left ankle a little.

EDIT2: Updating the shoelace situation... I ended up going with "Locklaces". It's more comfortable and secure than the "rubber band" version I bought earlier.