Bagels suck

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Bagels suck

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unless they are toasted. Do not serve bagels without a toaster. That is all.

Thank you.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Re: Bagels suck

Post by El Guapo »

Why do you hate the Jews?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo: What your bagel order says about you and your fitness to govern
New York gubernatorial candidate Cynthia Nixon recently caused a Great Deal of Stir by ordering a cinnamon raisin bagel with lox, cream cheese, capers, tomato and red onion. Good heavens!

But this is raisin an important question: Which bagel order marks you as fit to serve the people of your state as governor, and which correctly casts you into the Outer Darkness for all eternity? What does your order say about you? I have taken the liberty of determining this for you, using science. At any rate I think it is science. It might just be my arbitrary opinion.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I prefer panera's asiago bagel untoasted. It's quite tasty that way. And no cream cheese or spread needed.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 am I prefer panera's asiago bagel untoasted. It's quite tasty that way. And no cream cheese or spread needed.
Asiago Bagel: You have impeccable judgment and taste in all things. Or you just like cheese a little too much and will always get it when it is an option. Only one of these things is true; be honest in your self-assessment. You are fit to govern, but you are too busy.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I have no time to wait for a toasted bagel. I put my morning cinnamon raisin bagel on top of my coffee to warm it up a bit.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:22 am I have no time to wait for a toasted bagel. I put my morning cinnamon raisin bagel on top of my coffee to warm it up a bit.
Stroopwaffel!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Meal wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:22 am I have no time to wait for a toasted bagel. I put my morning cinnamon raisin bagel on top of my coffee to warm it up a bit.
Stroopwaffel!
That's exactly where I got the idea!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

At work, we get bagels every Friday from a local Jewish Deli.
I never toast mine and it's delicious.

My biggest complaint is nobody else in the office wants lox.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

The best bagel for me is one that somebody else is eating.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Since I've had to drastically cut back on starchy carb consumption for health reasons, those delicious bagels with all sorts of yummy fillings do suck!

(That cinnamon raisin with "lox and anything else one can get from behind the counter" bagel kind of sucks too, regardless of whether or not I was still eating the things. Obviously Cynthia Nixon is a politician making promises to all sorts of potential voters with that bagel choice)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Unless they are toasted. Do not serve bagels without a toaster. That is all.
Concur. And “buttered” is not far behind for me.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I HATE things toasted except for toast. :) You sir are a heathen!
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Bagels only need toasting when they’re more than a day old or if they’re crappy grocery store bagels. Fresh bagels are perfect just the way they are.

Also, and I know this for a fact now that I live here, it is impossible to get a good bagel in the Midwest.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:52 am Also, and I know this for a fact now that I live here, it is impossible to get a good bagel in the Midwest.
Not impossible, just very difficult.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Have your bagels in whatever way makes you happy. But if you think untoasted bagels suck, you've probably never had a good bagel (as R-W notes, good bagels just aren't available in large swathes of the country).
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The Meal wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 am Stroopwaffel!
I like Stroopwaffels, but every time I say the name, I feel like I'm talking about the latest Nazi wonder weapon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:32 am
The Meal wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 am Stroopwaffel!
I like Stroopwaffels, but every time I say the name, I feel like I'm talking about the latest Nazi wonder weapon.
It wafels stroops!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bagels are an awful food item if you can call them food. Yankee cardboard!! With no flavor either. A donut is the bomb though. A Krispy Kreme even more.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

:whistle:
AWS260 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:05 am Have your bagels in whatever way makes you happy. But if you think untoasted bagels suck, you've probably never had a good bagel (as R-W notes, good bagels just aren't available in large swathes of the country).
If 90% of bagels in the country are bad bagels, then most bagels are bad.

I'm at a meeting downtown and they had bagels catered from Panera. I assume these are among the 90% of the bad.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am :whistle:
AWS260 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:05 am Have your bagels in whatever way makes you happy. But if you think untoasted bagels suck, you've probably never had a good bagel (as R-W notes, good bagels just aren't available in large swathes of the country).

I'm at a meeting downtown and they had bagels catered from Panera. I assume these are among the 90% of the bad.
I won't go as far as saying they are bad, but you're right. There should have been a toaster.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 am Unless they are toasted. Do not serve bagels without a toaster. That is all.

Thank you.
It's hard to imagine an untoasted bagel, let alone eat one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's the equivalent of trying to bite off a piece of Stretch Armstrong.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:14 pm It's the equivalent of trying to bite off a piece of Stretch Armstrong.
:lol:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Most of everything is bad. Most of the beer consumed in this country is from Budweiser or MillerCoors, to say nothing of Heineken and the like. That doesn't mean that beer is bad, it just means that most people consume cheap, shitty food and drink.

#NotAllBagels
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

LawBeefaroni wrote: I'm at a meeting downtown and they had bagels catered from Panera. I assume these are among the 90% of the bad.
That is a correct assumption.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Most of everything is bad. Most of the beer consumed in this country is from Budweiser or MillerCoors, to say nothing of Heineken and the like. That doesn't mean that beer is bad, it just means that most people consume cheap, shitty food and drink.

#NotAllBagels
I'll drink 6 Busch Lights before I eat another untoasted bagel.

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I rarely eat them because one bagel has as many calories as approximately 14 Big Macs. But a pumpernickel bagel fresh from the oven with plain cream cheese is a treat. Just don't go putting crap in the cream cheese.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:26 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm

#NotAllBagels
I'll drink 6 Busch Lights before I eat another untoasted bagel.
Your opinion is incorrect. I would drink 6 cups of sewer water before drinking 6 busch lights. By contrast, even mediocre bagels are adequate, as long as they're not plain.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm Most of everything is lower quality.
ftfy.

That doesn't make everything bad. That just makes some things are not as good as they could be. Many things are perfectly tolerable in the average quality range.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Toasting risks burning. There is nothing worse to consume than burned food, bread in particular. If you'd like to warm my bagel, that is ideal. Warm enough to melt the butter.

Lord do I miss bagels.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:26 pm I'll drink 6 Busch Lights before I eat another untoasted bagel.
Ouch. Someone get him a telephone hotline. He's clearly not himself.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm Most of everything is lower quality.
ftfy.

That doesn't make everything bad. That just makes some things are not as good as they could be. Many things are perfectly tolerable in the average quality range.
I do find it interesting as to which foodstuffs people will refuse to consume the cheap stuff. Like, I'll happily drink cheap, shitty wine, but I never drink cheap, shitty beer.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We eat cheap all the time but not always shitty. In fact we've found many cheap brands taste better or much better than a name brand of the same item. There are exceptions...like mayo though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I thought eggs were in, and bagels are out? It's too confusing. :think:
Stop funding for NPR
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I would like to share these excellent Yelp reviews of my favorite bagel place.
I'm sorry, but it's 2018, and you still don't toast your bagels? Toaster technology still hasn't penetrated this far into South Slope?
Another reason to hate the bagel hole. I was forced to stop here because I didn't have time to get to bagel delight. When asked to warm a bagel with butter, husband got a surly "we don't toast."
They don't toast the bagels
It's literally a small hole in the wall and they don't even toast their bagels. So that's pretty bad ass or arrogant.
It's dirty, they don't toast your bagel (and yes, sometimes it needs toasting), eggs are microwaved... I can go on.
No toasting. There is no bagel toasting. You get bagel and coffee. No more. No Less. Keep it moving.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've got a great business idea! I'll give the customer what I want, not what they want.

Can't fail!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Find a place in NY that bakes it's own bagels. Ask for the ones that just came out of the oven. Jackpot if it is an everything bagel. Soft and smooth, yet firm and crunchy. Pure joy.

You sir, have not been to a proper bagel place. I'm sure it's similar to the terrible pizza they serve in the Chicago area as well.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:06 pm You sir, have not been to a proper bagel place. I'm sure it's similar to the terrible pizza they serve in the Chicago area as well.
I like fish too but I'm not eating it raw unless it's a decent quality sushi place. That doesn't mean the best fish is raw fish.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jag wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:06 pm Find a place in NY that bakes it's own bagels. Ask for the ones that just came out of the oven. Jackpot if it is an everything bagel. Soft and smooth, yet firm and crunchy. Pure joy.

You sir, have not been to a proper bagel place. I'm sure it's similar to the terrible pizza they serve in the Chicago area as well.
Einstein Bros. or Brueger Bagels will do just fine as well. Go during the morning rush so you don't get one that's been sitting around for hours. If you don't like a fresh bagel from one of those places, then a genuine Jewish bakery isn't going to change your mind.

I thought I didn't like bagels because I'd only had the frozen Lenders until I went to college, where Bagel Fragel was across the main street. Besides having fresh, authentic bagels, they also sold fragels -- deep-fried bagels dusted with sugar and cinnamon. I'm not big on sweets, but OMG those were good.

The intertubes tell me that Bagel Fragel went under c. 2002 after a Brueger moved in two doors down. So it goes.