Bagels suck

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Bagels suck

Post by Blackhawk »

Flavored bagels (say, raisin/cinnamon or blueberry) I prefer untoasted and without spread.
Plain bagels I like toasted with plain cream cheese. I don't hate them untoasted, but they're much better toasted.
Onion bagels can go *#$*! themselves.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cream cheese, tomato slices, heavy black pepper.

Lox instead of tomato is also acceptable. Smoked salmon too.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jag wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:06 pm
You sir, have not been to a proper bagel place. I'm sure it's similar to the terrible pizza they serve in the Chicago area as well.
Thankfully, unlike the pizza, Chicago doesn't claim ownership of the holey bread monstrosities.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jag

Post by Jag »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:41 pm
Jag wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:06 pm Find a place in NY that bakes it's own bagels. Ask for the ones that just came out of the oven. Jackpot if it is an everything bagel. Soft and smooth, yet firm and crunchy. Pure joy.

You sir, have not been to a proper bagel place. I'm sure it's similar to the terrible pizza they serve in the Chicago area as well.
Einstein Bros. or Brueger Bagels will do just fine as well. Go during the morning rush so you don't get one that's been sitting around for hours. If you don't like a fresh bagel from one of those places, then a genuine Jewish bakery isn't going to change your mind.

I thought I didn't like bagels because I'd only had the frozen Lenders until I went to college, where Bagel Fragel was across the main street. Besides having fresh, authentic bagels, they also sold fragels -- deep-fried bagels dusted with sugar and cinnamon. I'm not big on sweets, but OMG those were good.

The intertubes tell me that Bagel Fragel went under c. 2002 after a Brueger moved in two doors down. So it goes.
You can't compare an actual bakery bagel to one of those terrible bagel chains. I've tried all of them and their bagels are pale imitations of the real thing. Some of the bagels and toppings they offer are just monstrous. I mean, it's fine when toasted and slathered with shit, i guess, but it's still chain food.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:41 pm
Jag wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:06 pm Find a place in NY that bakes it's own bagels. Ask for the ones that just came out of the oven. Jackpot if it is an everything bagel. Soft and smooth, yet firm and crunchy. Pure joy.

Einstein Bros. or Brueger Bagels will do just fine as well. Go during the morning rush so you don't get one that's been sitting around for hours. If you don't like a fresh bagel from one of those places, then a genuine Jewish bakery isn't going to change your mind.

I thought I didn't like bagels because I'd only had the frozen Lenders until I went to college, where Bagel Fragel was across the main street. Besides having fresh, authentic bagels, they also sold fragels -- deep-fried bagels dusted with sugar and cinnamon. I'm not big on sweets, but OMG those were good.

The intertubes tell me that Bagel Fragel went under c. 2002 after a Brueger moved in two doors down. So it goes.
You can't compare an actual bakery bagel to one of those terrible bagel chains. I've tried all of them and their bagels are pale imitations of the real thing. Some of the bagels and toppings they offer are just monstrous. I mean, it's fine when toasted and slathered with shit, i guess, but it's still chain food.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 pm
Jag wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:06 pm
Thankfully, unlike the pizza, Chicago doesn't claim ownership of the holey bread monstrosities.
That's true. New Haven, CT is the Pizza Mecca.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:19 am
hentzau wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 am I prefer panera's asiago bagel untoasted. It's quite tasty that way. And no cream cheese or spread needed.
Asiago Bagel: You have impeccable judgment and taste in all things. Or you just like cheese a little too much and will always get it when it is an option. Only one of these things is true; be honest in your self-assessment. You are fit to govern, but you are too busy.
I'm weird. I love the cheese bagel probably because I like cheese a little too much but that's not the weird part. Unlike henzau, I want my Asiago toasted and I love the smell of the burning cheese in the toaster. Then it's lightly buttered. Not cream cheesed or schmeared or whatever they call it.

With regard to bagel snobbery, I give a hearty 'meh'. I will say we had a bagel maker growing up (basically a waffle iron for two round thick waffles, I think it was technically a "daisyville donut maker") and through the lens of remembering 40 years ago, it made bagels that were way better than anything we get from any of the bakeries around here, even the ones people rave about. But everything was awesomer to a young child. Stuff rarely measures to your memories.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If nearly everyone's experience is with bad bagels, at which point are "good bagels" not really a thing?

If 1 in 100,000 bagels are good, the exception kind of proves the rule that bagels are 99.999% bad.

Maybe there should be two distinct kinds of bagel. Most Bagels and Golden Bagels. Most Bagels are bad. Golden Bagels are good.

"What are you getting in the catering order? "
"Oh, just some Most Bagels and fruit."
"You got a toaster right?"
"Of course, I'm not crazy. They're Most Bagels!"
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 am Unless they are toasted. Do not serve bagels without a toaster. That is all.

Thank you.
They are too chewy and my dentures do not like. Toasted is fine, though. I had a toasted sesame bagel for breakfast today and while it's just going to sit on my desk for about 4 hours, I toasted a jalapeno cheese bagel for lunch.

I'll be attending a charity fundraising event in a few weeks that will have untoasted bagels. I'm looking forward to the event, not the bagels.
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Too bad you're all fighting about things that aren't bagels...

They call them bagels but they're not bagels. They're round puffy pieces of dough.

I feel bad for the lot of you.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 am If nearly everyone's experience is with bad bagels, at which point are "good bagels" not really a thing?

If 1 in 100,000 bagels are good, the exception kind of proves the rule that bagels are 99.999% bad.

Maybe there should be two distinct kinds of bagel. Most Bagels and Golden Bagels. Most Bagels are bad. Golden Bagels are good.

"What are you getting in the catering order? "
"Oh, just some Most Bagels and fruit."
"You got a toaster right?"
"Of course, I'm not crazy. They're Most Bagels!"
I don't think most people's experiences are with "bad" bagels. Most people (just going by quantity) tend to consume mass produced bagels, from Dunkin Donuts, Panera, etc. There's a limit to how good those can be, simply because they are affordable and mass produced. That's not an indictment of bagels, it's just a factor of the downside of mass production.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Most people have never had good coffee, but that doesn't mean coffee is bad.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

tjg_marantz wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 am Too bad you're all fighting about things that aren't bagels...

They call them bagels but they're not bagels. They're round puffy pieces of dough.

Are you referring to Montreal bagels? They are delicious, too.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm
tjg_marantz wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 am Too bad you're all fighting about things that aren't bagels...

Having had Montreal bagels for the first time a few weeks ago, they're not that different.

Though I only had Fairmount - never made it over to the main rival's place.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Damn, now I want a bagel.

I'll also point out that even terri-bad bagels can be made acceptable by toasting and toppings.

Bagels are awesome. Should I start a new thread?

Bagels are Awesome.

...when they're toasted.
Jag

Post by Jag »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm
AWS260 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Having had Montreal bagels for the first time a few weeks ago, they're not that different.
Is a Montreal bagel like a Quebec Pizza?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:28 am
I don't think most people's experiences are with "bad" bagels. Most people (just going by quantity) tend to consume mass produced bagels, from Dunkin Donuts, Panera, etc. There's a limit to how good those can be, simply because they are affordable and mass produced. That's not an indictment of bagels, it's just a factor of the downside of mass production.
Drunkin' Donuts are expensive and the last time I had one, there was some off-putting chemical taste; I never got a bagel from them since. Panera and Einstein are just fine. My dad used to swear up and down that it was impossible to get a decent bagel outside of NYC, but then again he also thought the epitome of beer was Heineken. :roll: I just don't notice much of a difference once toasted and some topping applied (either by myself, or in the case of something like a jalapeno cheese, applied in the cooking/baking process). I guess the subtlety comes in when eating them un-toasted, which for me is more miss than hit.
Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You eat a sucky bagel one day? You ate a sucky bagel. You eat sucky bagels every day? You're the sucky bagel.

I once knew a guy from New York who swore you needed New York water to make good bagels. Don't know if that's true or not, or if he turned into a sucky bagel once he moved away from there.

Sucky bagel. (aka the Sarlacc) (aka Uranus) (aka yo momma so fat...) (aka the name of my Electronica Zen monk Dethklok cover band)

P.S. Bagel Dogs FTW!
There is no hug button. Sad!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

killbot737 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm I once knew a guy from New York who swore you needed New York water to make good bagels.
That would be several OOers. I think tgb was the last...

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... &p=2008184
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm
killbot737 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:28 pm I once knew a guy from New York who swore you needed New York water to make good bagels.

Same with pizza. :roll:

It's not that hard to make region-specific waters that are better than the original.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Everything bagel, double-toasted with lox and cream cheese can be so damned good.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Same with pizza. :roll:

It's not that hard to make region-specific waters that are better than the original.
There's a pizza chain iirc that conditions their water to NYC chemistry for the perfect pie. Or so they claim.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Enough wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:53 pm Everything bagel, double-toasted with lox and cream cheese can be so damned good.
This is all correct. Except that I don't know what double-toasted means....
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think that means they toast it five times.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:clap:
mori

Post by mori »

My sister married a German. He complained he couldn't get a good bagel back home. I said: 'Well, whose fault is that?'

-Emo Philips
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

My problem with bagels is I don't like to eat food if I can't find great examples of it, conveniently.

As it happens, there is no renowned bagel place within "I'd drive that far for a bagel" distance. There IS however a renowned donut place almost within walking distance.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So what is your position on scones?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or Yorkshire pudding?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:58 pm Or Yorkshire pudding?
It's not actually pudding!

Also, it's fantastic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:17 pm So what is your position on scones?
Fuck 'em. Dry ass wastes of space.

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
But the scones in England were so divine. I think the secret ingredient is unhealthy amounts of butter.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Y'all are killin' me here.
No good bagels in Las Cruces. Well, I think I've seen a place that claims to have bagels but I haven't tried it. There's an Einstein Bagels over at NMSU --- but I don't really consider those bagels, just bagel substitutes. The grocery stores have fake bagels -- they LOOK like bagels but they're really just somewhat dense bagel-shaped bread stuff. I would be happy if there were a Brueggers - that's close enough to being what I recall. Closest Bruegger's is in Tucson.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Einstein’s is acceptable in a pinch; their bagels are certainly better than anything you can get in the store. The one exception is if your store carries New York Bagels in the frozen section; they’re a decent substitute. But I can’t even find those in the Midwest. This barren bagel country.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That it's often mispronounced.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:28 am
LawBeefaroni wrote:
But the scones in England were so divine. I think the secret ingredient is unhealthy amounts of butter.
I prefer to think of it as using flour sparingly.

I made scones on Saturday morning. Finished the last one today, they were certainly not dry. I use a lot more blueberries than the recipe calls for, then I drown them in a fresh lemon glaze that further locks in the moisture.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enlarge Image

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:52 am Enlarge Image
:)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I like scones, pronounced with the long O sound. One reason I like them is I can bake them myself. I've tried making my own bagels, that's a no go. I won't fry anything due to the fire hazard, so I don't make my own donuts. But I will make scones now and again, they go great with coffee. A freshly baked scone with a cup of coffee using freshly roasted beans you just ground up yourself? Very nice.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My college roommate pronounced "bagel" as if it rhymed with "haggle."