Next step of the rebuild process (adhd)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Next step of the rebuild process (adhd)

Post by Default »

So, I managed to get a screening scheduled at Penn for adhd. I already went through about a 20 minuite interview over the phone, and the screening itself is supposed to take most of the morning. It's also not covered by bc/bs, so it will set me back $1300. <sigh> I hope that this will help me to handle all those dumpster fires that seem to surround me, or at least get me to work punctually.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Carpet_pissr

Re: Next step of the rebuild process (adhd)

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is there a part one for this topic that I missed? Intrigued.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Default wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:57 pmat least get me to work punctually.
I've always gotten up with enough time to get everything done so I could get there on time. I'm curious what happens that prevents you from getting to work on time, and if it would be possible to get up earlier to get it done...

I get up at 5:00am - and leave for work at 6:10. In that time I shower, shave, get dressed, move the bearded dragon to her feeding tank, cook breakfast (3 eggs & 1 dry toast), eat breakfast, put the dragon back in her tank, prep salad for the dragon, prep my lunch, empty the dishwasher, kiss the wife & kids goodbye, and leave. I'm pretty consistently at work 15-20 minutes early.

I mean, if you can't be on time for your shift - be early for it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alternatively, I get up around 6:15, shower, get dressed, say bye to the wife and kids, grab the bags I packed the night before, and go to work. I'm in my office by 7:00-7:15.

Point being, wake up earlier or just do less stuff in the morning. Or a combination thereof. I mean breakfast, who needs it anyway?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:47 am I mean breakfast, who needs it anyway?
Sounds like someone could use a bagel this morning...

I have about 2 more months of mother-in-law relieving me of morning baby duties until I'll have to start waking earlier. If I don't need to take the boy to school, then it's up at 6, shit, shower and shave, make coffee, make breakfast (today just a toasted english muffin), prepare lunch if I have something to prepare, feed the cats, feed the dog, bug out by 7 in the office by 7:45. When I take the boy, I have to shower and dress him too, but he eats at school. He's usually up at 6 am too, and dealing with him (including school drop-off) adds about 15 minutes so I'm in the office by 8. Once the MiL leaves, I'll have to prep my daughter, drop the kids to my wife's work by 7:30, and then I'm the mercy of her being able to leave on time. If she does, I'm at work before 8, if not, as late as 9. I generally need to be up by 5:30 for things to go smoothly.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'd get up on time if there was a dragon in my house.

Post by Default »

Life long inability to focus. Constant distraction. Losing my shoes and being unable to find them. Issues with prioritization. Ocd issues. Workaholism.

Post by Default »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:55 am Is there a part one for this topic that I missed? Intrigued.

Part one was getting my "defective from birth" hip replaced, and finding out what a painless life was like for the first time. :-D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Default wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:25 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:55 am Is there a part one for this topic that I missed? Intrigued.

Part one was getting my "defective from birth" hip replaced, and finding out what a painless life was like for the first time. :-D
:clap: :dance:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Default wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:22 pmLosing my shoes and being unable to find them.
I might be a little too Mr. Rodgers or something, but I take my shoes off in the same place each day and put them in the same place to find them in the same place each morning.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 pm
Default wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:22 pmLosing my shoes and being unable to find them.
I might be a little too Mr. Rodgers or something, but I take my shoes off in the same place each day and put them in the same place to find them in the same place each morning.
I think most people have habits that ensure they don't have to remember where they put their coat/shoes/keys/wallet/watch/phone etc.

Losing shoes though, that's actually pretty hard to do. That takes a special knack.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm Losing shoes though, that's actually pretty hard to do. That takes a special knack.
Let me introduce you to my kids...
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

Welcome to adhd! It also explains why my leg starts bouncing up and down if I sit, why I fall asleep in an audience, why I will watch tv standing up, and, at least in part, why people seem to find me comedic.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 pm
I think most people have habits that ensure they don't have to remember where they put their coat/shoes/keys/wallet/watch/phone etc.

Losing shoes though, that's actually pretty hard to do. That takes a special knack.
Everyone in my house is constantly looking for their shoes. We even have a "shoe pile" where many of the shoes reside, but that doesn't mean the shoes that someone needs will be there when they need them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:32 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm Losing shoes though, that's actually pretty hard to do. That takes a special knack.
I'll just point out that default is an adult.

Kids will lose their noses without batting an eye. Do I really need to point this out or consider children in my original statement?

Post by Default »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:19 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:32 pm
I'll just point out that default is an adult.

Kids will lose their noses without batting an eye. Do I really need to point this out or consider children in my original statement?
Relatively speaking, l am. :-/
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Aren't we all. Relatively.

Post by Default »

Update:

Had my screening and after a month, sat down with the graduate student and the verdict is severe ADHD, with the bonus of an anxiety disorder and severe depression. So, next step is calling the admin assistant on 12/4 and getting an appointment with a psychiatrist, where we will discuss some chemical help for the ADHD and some cbt for the other issues.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

cbt is huge now. Everything is cbt this and cbt that. I hope it helps.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Good luck!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBT also translates to computer-based training.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:25 am CBT also translates to computer-based training.
And cock and ball torture! I’d think this one would be more helpful for ADHD than computer based training, but I might be wrong. :horse:

Seriously though, if you get a good therapist, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) works wonders for anxiety. It’s not a cure, but for me it allowed me to function better.

Post by Default »

I still want to say AD&D, instead of ADHD.

Maybe I just have an owlbear problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.