DC Universe

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

DC Universe

Post by hepcat »

So I picked up a pre order subscription to the new DC Universe service a few weeks before it launched. I had the Marvel Unlimited service for a few years, but I've always been much more of a DC fan. So I tossed down my 75 bucks and I got 15 months. Last week it officially went live and I'm already very pleased with it.

Besides the impressive list of TV shows, movies and documentaries they already had on launch, they also have a pretty dang healthy comic library spanning decades of history.

But the biggest surprise for me is that I can actually read those comics on my 65 inch TV via my Roku. The DC Universe app on all platforms (iOS, windows, android, roku, etc.) lets you read them panel by panel, and so far it's not given me an ounce of trouble.

Video is top notch so far. HD and without even a hiccup in streaming.

It does have its cons. The roku app doesn't have an easy way to browse through all the comics (I've been using the windows app to put the ones I want into a favorites list so I can read them later), and the categories they put the comics into are all over the place (I think they're going for a curated look, but it just seems sloppy right now).

So is it worth 75 bucks for a year? In my opinion, very much so. You can also just go with a 7.99 a month plan as well. Also, it becomes a no brainer once you realize they actually have BOTH episodes of Legends of the Superheroes from the late 70's. You haven't lived until you've seen these two 60 minute specials that aired only once on NBC. Since that time, it's become the Star Wars Holiday Special of comic book history. The second episode is simply a celebrity roast of the superheroes hosted by Ed McMahon.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Re: DC Universe

Post by YellowKing »

Oh man, I did not realize this had launched!

I'm all over this. Like you I've always been more of a DC fan (huge Batman nerd), so the ability to read Batman comics alone was worth the price of admission. They're also getting the Swamp Thing television show being filmed in my hometown so that's a must-watch. Good to hear the other content is great as well.

Now I have to find out if they have or will have an app for the Fire Stick.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Supposedly there's an Amazon Fire app.
DC Universe is expected to launch on iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and in web and mobile web versions
And I also saw this.
The service will also be launching with Roku and Amazon Firestick as well in case you want to watch DCU on your TV.
I've been rewatching Young Justice from the beginning and I'd forgotten just how damn good that show was.

Another lesser known animated show standout I highly recommend to DC fans is Superboy and the Legion of Superoes. It only ran for two seasons and it starts off looking a little too kid friendly, but it gets much, much better pretty quickly. I was a huge Legion of Superheroes fan when I was younger, so I love all the shout outs to the classic comic years that they include in the show.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I think it's no coincidence that hepcat got the service the day Batman's "package" was shown in a DC comic book...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had to look that up as I wasn't aware of that.

Then I had to clear my search history so that when typing anything that started with a B into a search field during a business presentation, my audience didn't see the words "Batman's penis" appear.
He won. Period.