Breakfast: Do you eat it?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

How do you start your typical weekday?

Full English (full cooked breakfast with eggs, meat, toast, etc)
11%
Bready crap (toast, toasted bagel, pancakes, etc)
9%
Cereal
30%
Snack (piece of fruit, breakfast bar, etc)
16%
Just coffee/juice
9%
Nothing
25%
Vodka
No votes

Total votes: 44

LordMortis

Re: Breakfast: Do you eat it?

Post by LordMortis »

I can not only get on the train for breakfast dinner love but if I were younger I think my favorite meal would still be 2AM meat and cheese omelette and shoestring hashbrowns. Breakfast dinner is awesome but you don't even have to be drunk to adore breakfast late night meal. That was was my post work studying go to and late night in a diner reading go to, to say nothing of the post bar go to.
Archinerd wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:57 am Except maybe brunch, but not fancy hipster brunches. Just a good one where you can eat a cheeseburger and some waffles while enjoying a Bloody Mary.
I've always loved brunch and never thought of it as hipsterish. A good a la carte leisurely get as much as you want as long as you are willing to get up and get it breakfast is the best. But the food has to be good. Stalepowdered scrambled eggs stuff and flacid cold bacon all stuck together with potato mush, not so much... Beyond that, apparently I'm missing out, I've never heard of cheeseburger at brunch. I have had texmex brunches with texmex lunch items along side my breakfast foods but now I want to a cheeseburger.

The inverse is also true. Cold pizza is a fine breakfast and gnawing on a piece of cold steak for breakfast? De-lightful.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

mori wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:48 pm Nothing wrong with going hungry. I do not eat after 7 pm, go to bed on an empty stomach, then do not eat until after 11 AM. But I do like breakfast food (sausage, bacon, eggs, omelets)so sometimes I make breakfast for dinner.
I envy you. I wish I had the willpower to do this, but I just don't.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My overwhelming requirement for breakfast be that it not involve effort. I don't wake up well, and boiling water for instant oatmeal is too much effort. Bowl, cereal, pour milk. Open yogurt, put in mouth. Open bar, chew. Anything more than that and I'll skip it more often than I eat it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I work from home part of Fridays now, and I'm currently cooking up an egg, cheese, and corn beef hash sandwich.

I blame this thread.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I notice a lot of cereal eaters. I used to eat cereal every morning. Until I wanted to lose weight and looked at what's in the box. Then I couldn't eat it anymore. Even if I ate healthy cereal, I found myself overdoing it. Kind of hard to portion control without getting weird and I always overdid it. Portions are a problem for me - so cooking 3 eggs is an easy fix.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am My overwhelming requirement for breakfast be that it not involve effort. I don't wake up well, and boiling water for instant oatmeal is too much effort. Bowl, cereal, pour milk. Open yogurt, put in mouth. Open bar, chew. Anything more than that and I'll skip it more often than I eat it.
Doesn't sound like you should be near a heat source anyway. I cook after I shower. The shower is where I wake up, and is the first stop after the alarm goes off on my phone.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am I notice a lot of cereal eaters. I used to eat cereal every morning. Until I wanted to lose weight and looked at what's in the box. Then I couldn't eat it anymore. Even if I ate healthy cereal, I found myself overdoing it. Kind of hard to portion control without getting weird and I always overdid it. Portions are a problem for me - so cooking 3 eggs is an easy fix.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Don't be an enabler. Most cereal is just delicious sawdust and sugar. :hawk:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Paingod wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am I notice a lot of cereal eaters. I used to eat cereal every morning. Until I wanted to lose weight and looked at what's in the box. Then I couldn't eat it anymore. Even if I ate healthy cereal, I found myself overdoing it. Kind of hard to portion control without getting weird and I always overdid it. Portions are a problem for me - so cooking 3 eggs is an easy fix.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am My overwhelming requirement for breakfast be that it not involve effort. I don't wake up well, and boiling water for instant oatmeal is too much effort. Bowl, cereal, pour milk. Open yogurt, put in mouth. Open bar, chew. Anything more than that and I'll skip it more often than I eat it.
Doesn't sound like you should be near a heat source anyway. I cook after I shower. The shower is where I wake up, and is the first stop after the alarm goes off on my phone.
Cereal for breakfast is fine for weight loss, assuming you're not eating sugar laden kids cereal and pouring it into a huge bowl like you see on TV/in movies.

The calorie intake for a serving of what's in a box of cereal + half a cup of skim milk is less than the calorie intake of 3 eggs (plus whatever you're cooking them in). The eggs are probably "better" for you (again, depending on what you're cooking them in) but in terms of sheer calories, the cereal is going to win out.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:46 am Don't be an enabler. Most cereal is just delicious sawdust and sugar. :hawk:
My rotation is Kellogg's Raisin Bran and Quaker Oatmeal Squares.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Measuring cup. Even easier than the scale.
Paingod wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am
I'm too lazy to boil water before my tea. I'm not about to get in the shower. Showers are for nighttime.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Sounds like we need a poll for showers.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 am Sounds like we need a poll for showers.
I think our obsession with cleanliness will one day be revealed to be unhealthy. That said, I can't start the day without a shower. If I am going a day unshowered, it's a day where I'm doing nothing but watching TV or sitting in front of a computer. Somewhere along the line "the day" got associated with taking a shower. I haven't camped in years, but getting to the "I don't have to shower" point of camping was always very difficult by around high school and forever thereafter.

Showering at night never worked because I still wake up feeling like there is a film on me that must be eliminated before starting the day.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We've done it before. It came down to a split between those who believe in a shower almost daily, those who believe that the human body produces such quantities of goo from every pore that they have to take one every few hours, and those that believe (as does almost all of the world that isn't the US) that unless you're working out/exerting, a shower every few days is perfectly adequate.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:48 am Cereal for breakfast is fine for weight loss, assuming you're not eating sugar laden kids cereal and pouring it into a huge bowl like you see on TV/in movies.
I didn't stop eating cereal for weight loss purposes; I stopped because even the cereals marketed as healthier had almost as much sugar as the cereals marketed to kids. Plus, I would always start to get hungry before 11:00 when I ate cereal. The oatmeal I make now certainly has more calories than the cereal I used to eat, but the only sugar in it comes from fruit and I don't get hungry until at least noon and often later.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Cheerios has 1g of sugar.

What kind of cereal are you eating?
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 am
I've always loved brunch and never thought of it as hipsterish.

Millennials have officially ruined brunch.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:19 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 am
I've always loved brunch and never thought of it as hipsterish.

Millennials have officially ruined brunch.
Remember when brunch was a simple meal? You waited 10 minutes at the hostess stand, ordered pancakes and hash browns, maybe sipped on a spicy bloody mary and left.
In 47 years, that has never been brunch. That has been "going out to breakfast"
drink, drink, drink
That also was not brunch, though I think it has become via millenials as I hear more and more about "the best mimosa brunch" or whatever.

Brunch has always been a more social leisurely (and ironically formal) meal than any other dining out experience. It's usually planned and involves a grouping.

Maybe I was hipster millennial child in the early 70s who quickly learned to love brunch and getting as much of any kind of food I wanted a la carte and eating as much desert for breakfast as my heart desired and loitering for a meal? I long for those days and would love to return to a lifestyle of sitting at a restaurant for hours and gabbing. I'll still reserve my being over served alcohol to the bar though.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

You don't have Yogurt as an option. It is not cooking so not in the full breakfast.

get up at 5 or 5:30, shower, straight razor shave, get the kid ready, drop him a school,get to work by 7:30am usually.

I don't eat it at home, but take a plain greek yogurt to work and eat it with raw almonds and home-grown honey (from my bee hives) while I am checking my email and work-related things.

saves time and keeps me from being really grumpy until lunch (which is not until after 1pm usually.)
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I haven't eaten cereal in a long time, decades long. It's because as an adult, milk just doesn't agree with me. It's not lactose intolerance either, since things like shakes, cream in coffee, and other dairy related things don't bother me at all. It's that the idea of eating something from a bowl of milk grosses me out. And there's no way I'm eating cereal without milk, so no cereal for me.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm Cheerios has 1g of sugar.

There certainly are a few cereals, like plain Cheerios, Special K, or Kix, that have relatively low sugar content (Cheerios might be the lowest, though?). But the vast majority of them, including all other varieties of Cheerios or Special K, have a good bit more sugar.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I eat the same breakfast 7 days a week. Wait, is this the idiosyncrasies thread?

2 eggs over easy, two sausage links, 1 piece of buttered rye toast. It's been about 7 months of that and it's worked out great. Prior to this new routine it was cereal. I'm like a short-order cook now in the kitchen, every morning.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 am Breakfast dinner is awesome but you don't even have to be drunk to adore breakfast late night meal.
I went to a Denny's sober once and was horrified over how inedible the food was. At 3 am after a few, it was not uncommon to order several Grand Slams of one kind or another to soak up the suds as it were. That sober experience was...sobering; I don't believe I've been to a Denny's since.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm Cheerios has 1g of sugar.

There certainly are a few cereals, like plain Cheerios, Special K, or Kix, that have relatively low sugar content (Cheerios might be the lowest, though?). But the vast majority of them, including all other varieties of Cheerios or Special K, have a good bit more sugar.
This is why I buy Cheerios as cereal almost exclusively (outside of the occasional mixin of Wheaties or Kashi Go Lean Crunch, which is surprisingly sugary).
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 am Breakfast dinner is awesome but you don't even have to be drunk to adore breakfast late night meal.
I went to a Denny's sober once and was horrified over how inedible the food was. At 3 am after a few, it was not uncommon to order several Grand Slams of one kind or another to soak up the suds as it were. That sober experience was...sobering; I don't believe I've been to a Denny's since.
The Washington Post's food critic would disagree with you about Denny's.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:45 pm
Fake news.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm glad to see Texas Roadhouse at #3.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm
Fake news.
I trust his palate over yours!
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:11 am We've done it before. It came down to a split between those who believe in a shower almost daily, those who believe that the human body produces such quantities of goo from every pore that they have to take one every few hours, and those that believe (as does almost all of the world that isn't the US) that unless you're working out/exerting, a shower every few days is perfectly adequate.
I was a morning shower person for most of my life. Then I started working in a machine shop. Coming home from work covered in coolant and grease means that you instantly become a guy that showers at night. Now... I'm a full convert. I can't imagine not showering at night now. Getting into a bed without being squeaky clean? Disgusting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Food critics are funny. If restaurants like that get Cs - Fs, I wonder what they would rate normal-people food. Food critics are to food what Cool Mini or Not is to painting - disconnected from reality.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moons Over My Hammy is good drunk or sober.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I miss the breakfast Dagwood.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

I ate at a Denny’s that had no Hollandaise to serve with my eggs Benedict, so they just made a command decision to substitute melted cheddar cheese, as if I might not notice! I immediately clocked the strange yellow hue; I don’t even know if I tried it.
I don’t hold it against Denny’s in general, though. It’s spurious to me to consider all Denny’s equal (or any chain really), especially for breakfast fare. Some cooks are better than others.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:10 pm
Food critics are funny. If restaurants like that get Cs - Fs, I wonder what they would rate normal-people food. Food critics are to food what Cool Mini or Not is to painting - disconnected from reality.
I'm sure those letter grades are specific to that article, since he's ranking just those ten restaurants, and has to order them somehow. I would agree with his placement of Cracker Barrel at the top of the list.

And the critic adores Popeyes, so he can appreciate normal people food.
Hodor.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I voted snack. I've started to eat two hard boiled eggs with sriracha ketchup in order to have something to take my bp med with. I'm so lazy I buy them already hard boiled from Walmart for $2 per half dozen. I really should start to do it myself because it's three times as expensive this way. Before it was kidney beans, but it's nice not to be farting all the time. We'll see what my LDL is next time.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cereal and a pot of coffee almost every day. I like to mix several varieties in one bowl. If I want the full Monty I will go somewhere.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter