Veronica Mars to return

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Defiant

Veronica Mars to return

Post by Defiant »

Rejoice, Marshmallows: Veronica Mars is coming back for a new season. Series star Kristen Bell announced on Twitter that the series is coming to Hulu for fans to rewatch, “which is great, because you’ll need to brush up, because we’re making another one!”

In August, word broke that Hulu was working on a revival of the show. Following Bell’s video, Hulu confirmed that it has picked up a limited, eight-episode season, with creator Rob Thomas coming back to write the first episode and produce the series.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/1788 ... rob-thomas

hepcat

Re: Veronica Mars to return

Post by hepcat »

Enrico Colantoni is second only to Bell when it comes to important characters on the show. So hopefully he'll sign on.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm in, if I have to sub for it then I guess I can see that Handmaids stuff too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I want a scene where Veronica smokes weed with Weevil as Mac looks on disapprovingly, then I'll be happy.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Enrico Colantoni is second only to Bell when it comes to important characters on the show. So hopefully he'll sign on.
Rumor is he's returning.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Ugh. I'd love to see another season of VM but I'm not going to sub to Hulu to get it. /grumble-grumble
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So I guess I will be checking out Hulu this summer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Has anyone else read the post series books?

I enjoyed them all, and the FBI internship ones would have made a great season 4.

I also need to finally watch the Dick Casablancas series I've had in the backlog for awhile...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

What's the selling point on this series? Never watched it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:shock:

Very well written characters. Punchy dialogue. Excellent stories. Season 1 and 2 are solid. Season 3...not so much. The movie tried to capture the magic but it didn't quite get there.

If you watch iZombie you can see the lineage of Veronica Mars in it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Buffy detective noir minus the magic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like it may be based on one of the rob Thomas novels.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:11 pm Looks like it may be based on one of the rob Thomas novels.
It is not, apparently. Although I still have a hard time imagining there won't be at least some cross-pollination of ideas.

Freyland wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:15 pm What's the selling point on this series? Never watched it.
That Kristen Bell is sassy and awesome. That they named an episode "The Wrath of Con". That the relationships between the characters, especially between Veronica and her dad, are great. That maybe, just maybe, one day Veronica will get her pony.

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:09 pm Buffy detective noir minus the magic.
Very much this, especially when you consider that several of the Buffy cast showed up on Veronica Mars: Alyson Hannigan, Charisma Carpenter, and there was even an on-camera cameo by Joss Whedon.

- Ash
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Also that the writing is great.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Baroquen wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:30 pm Ugh. I'd love to see another season of VM but I'm not going to sub to Hulu to get it. /grumble-grumble
Just wait until the entire show is available, then get one of those free trials or subscribe for one month and binge it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Grifman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:46 am
Baroquen wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:30 pm Ugh. I'd love to see another season of VM but I'm not going to sub to Hulu to get it. /grumble-grumble
Just wait until the entire show is available, then get one of those free trials or subscribe for one month and binge it.
Yep - that's probably the plan. I'm currently off netflix, and temp subbing to the CBS thing so I can watch a couple series (and my kids are really into old seasons of Survivor at the moment). But eventually, I'll cycle a couple subscriptions and maybe pick up Hulu to watch this. Unless reviews really pan the whole thing first.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The first episode starts off kind of rocky. It feels like they’re trying to awkwardly flex their muscles in a censor free zone with some of the less than witty jokes. But then the mystery kicks in and it takes off. I’m curious to see how the story plays out now.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We are apparently re-watching the series - or at least S1. I wonder why they added the new season early? Is something else coming out on Netflix next Friday?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 am We are apparently re-watching the series - or at least S1. I wonder why they added the new season early? Is something else coming out on Netflix next Friday?
Final season of Orange is the New Black, which would have been a priority for us.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

3 episodes in and it's definitely got the old Veronica Mars groove going now. They're ending episodes on cliff hangers, tossing in interesting characters, changing theories about "whodunit" every episode...it's a lot of fun.
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, I finished watching it and I enjoyed it, even though it doesn't reach the best of Veronica Mars (eg, Season 1). There's also also a bunch of appearances/cameos from Veronica Mars characters - some of whom I'd forgotten.

Also, bizarrely, there were a couple of references to Alexa which seemed almost like a product placement to me (which would have made complete sense if VM was on Amazon Prime and not on Hulu).
Spoiler:
Some of the show was predictable - eg, as soon as the school opening was mentioned, I knew it would be where the bomb would be.
Also, I wasn't a fan of the two Mexican hitmen. It was too comical for me, and it also had some plot threads hanging (for the main characters if not for us)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing that bothered me after finishing was the rapid fire plot twists near the end. It seemed like every 3 minutes the chief of police was announcing a different killer based on the Mars team’s theories.

Other than that, I loved it.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it. Enjoyed it. Predicted a little too much of it, but having watched these types of shows for as long as we have is there really anything completely original and unpredictable?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter