RIP Al Matthews....Sgt Apone in Aliens

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

RIP Al Matthews....Sgt Apone in Aliens

Post by Daehawk »

https://boingboing.net/2018/09/24/rip-a ... ens-f.html

loved that character. Even named some of my online characters Apone years ago.

Al Matthews, the real-life military man who portrayed the no-nonsense, cigar-chomping Sgt. Apone in the sci-fi horror classic Aliens, has died. He was 75.

Matthews was found dead in his home in Alicante on Spain's Mediterranean coast Saturday at 10 p.m. by a neighbor, the Spanish international news agency EFE and the El Pais newspaper confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Matthews also had bit parts in Rough Cut (1980), Ragtime (1981), Superman III (1983), The Fifth Element (1997) and Tomorrow Never Dies (1997).

But it's his performance in James Cameron's 1986 sci-fi horror film that endeared him to audiences. Near the movie's beginning, the crew of the USS Sulaco awake from their deep sleep and Apone instantly reaches for his cigar and shouts instructions to the drowsy crew.
I dont off hand recall him in 5th Element. Need to look now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Re: RIP Al Matthews....Sgt Apone in Aliens

Post by Unagi »

General Tudor
Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

He was great.

"I love the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal is a banquet, every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!"
Black Lives Matter.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Enlarge Image

Look into my eye...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I didn't know he was ex-military, but it certainly comes through in his performance in Aliens. That whole movie was exceptionally well cast.

RIP
DD*

Post by DD* »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:52 pm I didn't know he was ex-military, but it certainly comes through in his performance in Aliens. That whole movie was exceptionally well cast.

RIP
Agreed. Definitely one of Bill Paxton’s better “minor” roles. Extremely quotable.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg