movie - Rocketman ...Elton John biopic

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Based on a true fantasy it says. ,,..Ya not the North Korean little shit. :)

Love hearing that music. Stars Taron Egerton from Kingsman as John.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Re: movie - Rocketman ...Elton John biopic

Post by dbt1949 »

Altho I like his music I'm not sure his life story is worth a movie.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is that seems to be the same trailer I originally posted. Did you get the wrong link?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Possibly
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I agree with dbt. I never wished to see his story on the big screen.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's interesting because I don't think I've ever wished to see anyone's life on the big screen, ever, but that has never stopped me from enjoying a good biopic, which I don't seek out but enjoy when I stumble across them.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm definitely interested. Love his early stuff but don't really know much about his rise to fame.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:08 amPossibly
Thats got it. TY.

I also have no interest in his story but I do think it will be interesting to watch and learn about.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think it is interesting that he got away with being a flaming gay boy in a very straight world. Not sure how much mass appeal that will warrant.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:45 pm I think it is interesting that he got away with being a flaming gay boy in a very straight world.
Wait, what!?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:02 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:45 pm I think it is interesting that he got away with being a flaming gay boy in a very straight world.
Wait, what!?
Such an outrageous statement followed by an incredulous reaction, but it is unclear just which part of the statement is the most incredulousness inducing. I'm hooked. Expound, please.

If it helps, the way I interpret Jaymann's statement is that he means the same sort of phenomenon that Liberace experienced. I mean, there were plenty of people who thought he was straight. Talk about denial. More to the point I think that in a time when homophobia was rampant and the norm, while homosexuality was viewed as a sin by charitable people, and an abomination by the rest, he was clearly gay and out of the closet even if he didn't discuss it openly, and people loved him anyway. He was popular, successful, was knighted, etc etc while clearly gay. That's no mean feat, especially given the years he rose to stardom. Meanwhile closeted homosexuals were being beaten to death because people suspected they might be gay. The juxtaposition of those two simultaneously held attitudes towards homosexuals by society is a strange, strange thing. No wonder growing up and realizing you're gay is such a stressful, anxiety inducing experience for many people. Going through puberty and falling into the norms society has set out for you is stressful enough for many.

That's my charitable interpretation of Jaymann's statement. I look forward to his explanation.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:45 pm Not sure how much mass appeal that will warrant.
Separately, I fail to see how a wildly successful and popular music star's life would not have mass appeal. His sexuality would only add to the interest in this day and age. It's like wondering out loud if anyone would be interested in Elvis' life story because he was gay (yes I know he wasn't gay. I'm trying to illustrate a point here).

Wikipedia tells me that Elton John is the 5th highest selling musician of all time. Only surpassed by the Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, and, unfortunately imo opinion, Madonna (It's not that I don't think she's good, but I do not think she belongs in the same company as the rest. Then again Eminem and Rihanna are just 1 step down in the next best selling category. There's no accounting for taste, apparently). I also suspect that Madonna only recently surpassed him (sometime in the last 10 years or so maybe?) which means he was the 4th best selling artist for most of his life and career.

5th. Best. Selling. Of. All. Time.

My point is that he was and still is very popular. Like super stardom. Like the Rolling Stones would open for him stardom if they played the same venue and had the same fanbase. If Mercury can garner enough interest for a biopic, holy fucking shit Elton John is a no-brainer.

P.S. I may be under emphasizing Mercury's popularity for rhetorical purposes.

edit: I'm seeing that John and Madonna have a very turbulent, very public relationship. Perhaps he didn't like being supplanted. ;)
edit: John also has the second highest selling single of all time. My point is he's big. People like and are interested in big people. In fact that defines their biggness. Questioning that seems... Omg, maybe Jaymann was being facetious. Lol. Apologies for taking so long to get it if so.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

If anything, I'm surprised one hadn't been made earlier when he was at his peak. I'd very much consider him to be ahead of his time, and yet it felt normal, like this guy was being himself and the world was rocking with him.

And, I'd actually say I'm more interested in this than I am the Queen movie. As a person, we don't really know much of his backstory as he's always seemed to be closely guarded, so a movie that gives us a little insight into him as a person and any struggles he's had is not a bad idea.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I remember in the 80's when Nikita was released. It was a big hit, lots of air time, very popular. The video (MTV heyday!) had a female Russian border guard as the subject of the song, so clearly John drew the name from Russia rather than other nations where the name was popular as well. The video was all very piningly and longingly about her.

At some point all of North America was like "wait a minute, Nikita is only a masculine/male name in Russia. There is no usage of it as a female name" and you could practically hear all of NA as one go "Oh. OOoohhhh. Huh."
Rumpy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 am If anything, I'm surprised one hadn't been made earlier when he was at his peak.
Agreed. It's a given that he was/is going to have a movie about his life. It wouldn't surprise me if there were several, eventually. That's why I'm suddenly thinking Jaymann is screwing with us. His usage of outrageous, over the top language where he is not known for that (I don't think?) should have been the first clue.

I took his comments at face value. Oh well, no harm done. If it turns out I'm wrong, again, then I eagerly await him expanding on his thoughts on the matter. Because hilarity.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember first hearing of him with Im Still Standing. Not long after I read he was gay. And that was all it was. So he is gay.

I loved Nikita . The girl in the vid looked exactly like my GF at that time. Except she had strawberry blonde / red hair at the time. The girl in the video seems to have red hair with the hat on until it shows her without it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Elton was the shitz when Yellow Brick Road came out. I didn't pay much attention to him before or after that. But I'm a sucker for biopics, so it will make my netflx queue unless the reviews are bad.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:05 am
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:02 pm
Wait, what!?
Such an outrageous statement followed by an incredulous reaction, but it is unclear just which part of the statement is the most incredulousness inducing. I'm hooked. Expound, please.

If it helps, the way I interpret Jaymann's statement is that he means the same sort of phenomenon that Liberace experienced. I mean, there were plenty of people who thought he was straight. Talk about denial. More to the point I think that in a time when homophobia was rampant and the norm, while homosexuality was viewed as a sin by charitable people, and an abomination by the rest, he was clearly gay and out of the closet even if he didn't discuss it openly, and people loved him anyway. He was popular, successful, was knighted, etc etc while clearly gay. That's no mean feat, especially given the years he rose to stardom. Meanwhile closeted homosexuals were being beaten to death because people suspected they might be gay. The juxtaposition of those two simultaneously held attitudes towards homosexuals by society is a strange, strange thing. No wonder growing up and realizing you're gay is such a stressful, anxiety inducing experience for many people. Going through puberty and falling into the norms society has set out for you is stressful enough for many.

That's my charitable interpretation of Jaymann's statement. I look forward to his explanation.
Captain Pedantic nailed it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:42 pm Captain Pedantic nailed it.
Lol. I did your heavy lifting for you. Praise me!!

I am pedantic. I think my failing is more verbosity than pedantry however. Why not be both?!

For the record, there are less outrageous ways to express your ideas. :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a little fascinating that you guys can argue over this in some way. Impressive. Younger folk have not been on the information super highway long enough to learn this level of arguing upon it. The things you two could teach them :mrgreen: :tjg:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I still can't believe Daehawk had never heard of him before 1983.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:54 pm I still can't believe Daehawk had never heard of him before 1983.
Its true. I may have heard his songs but not who he was. I was a rocker..hard rocker..not a popper then.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:45 am Elton was the shitz when Yellow Brick Road came out. I didn't pay much attention to him before or after that. But I'm a sucker for biopics, so it will make my netflx queue unless the reviews are bad.
This. Then when when it became known he was gay, liking him was an unpopular thing to admit to in the environment of a homophobic 1970's high school. I didn't stop listening to him on the radio, but neither did I see him in concert or wear his t-shirt. Mostly, this was due to the shift from AM-top 40 (where he was king) to FM rock stations that simply did not play that style of music.

I enjoy hearing his old hits on the radio, but over the last decade he's been excruciating to watch when I've seen him singing live). I do think his story would be an interesting one to see, but I would watch it at home and not the theater.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't know what he was like when younger, but he's a freakin' dick as an older gentleman. Like, you're an asshole, dude.

Which typically makes biopics more interesting, not less.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I want to go back to when I posted this thread and change our life. :(

As is here is the latest trailer.

Holman

Post by Holman »

"Based on a true fantasy."

If the movie tends towards the fantastic (what literary types call Magic Realism), it could be terrific.

Elton John wasn't the rock star anyone would have expected. He was an invented and shifting character like David Bowie, but where Bowie came out of the glam/club/street world as an enigma, Elton John was almost a theater showman (and he shared credits with a partnered songwriter just as much as his Broadway idols did).

The movie will depend on presentation. If they present the fantasy well, it could totally transcend the by-the-book rise-to-stardom cliches of Bohemian Rhapsody.

The latest trailer hints maybe they've done it? We'll see.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I am holding out for the Barry Manilow biopic.
words
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow