2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: 2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

Post by Pyperkub »

And Avenatti's Blackmail of Nike may have been about this AAU team:
The AAU coach in question is, according to ESPN, Gary Franklin who ran Cal Supreme out of the Los Angeles area for years and was recently cut by Nike.

While no specific players or college programs are mentioned in the indictment, Cal Supreme’s website features a list of recent alums who are prominent current and former college players — Brandon Williams (Arizona), Deandre Ayton (Arizona), Bol Bol (Oregon), Tevian Jones (Illinois), Jordan Schakel, (SDSU), Ethan Thomas, (Oregon State), Brandon McCoy, (UNLV), Justice Sueing, (Cal), Johan Matthews, (USC), DeAnthony Melton, (USC) and Milan Acquaah (Washington State).

"A suit and tie doesn’t mask the fact that at its core this was an old-fashioned shakedown," U.S. Attorney Geoff Berman said.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is Michigan going to win this with under 30 points?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hope they don’t win at all.

But it’s past my bedtime.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yeesh, that was ugly. It's hard to win when you miss your first 18 3-point shots. The TT defense was as good as advertised, forcing a lot of turnovers against a Michigan team that turned the ball over the least of any team in the country. There was also just bad offensive play and missed shots by Michigan, as there were quite a few open threes that wouldn't fall despite good looks from decent shooters.

It says something about the Michigan program under John Beilein that a 30 win season and making it to the sweet sixteen in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year feels disappointing.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:horse:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:47 am It says something about the Michigan program under John Beilein that a 30 win season and making it to the sweet sixteen in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year feels disappointing.
I think expectations were adjusted and they felt like a unicorn winning their first 17 games. But the 2nd half of the season other teams had plenty of tape on them and they came down to earth. I don't think most people saw them making it past the elite 8, so they didn't hit their adjusted expectation ceiling but I also don't think it's losing this far in was a terrible showing in their part. They just aren't developed enough to counter adjust. If I read correctly, they have 16 man roster, with 15 players potentially returning next year. This will be a good growth season for them.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ugly ugly loss but the future looks bright.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Down goes North Carolina! Auburn looks like the real deal.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Remus West wrote:Ugly ugly loss but the future looks ????
FTFY UNC edition.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well fuck. Going into the sweet 16, we had 8/10 guys left in our fantasy team (most of any team) after climbing to 4th, we were in great shape, and now are down to 2 and basically praying MSU's Henry can go off like tonight for a couple of more games to stay in the money.

Ouch.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Auburn the giant killers!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Duke pays the price for weak outside shooting. No Duke and no UNC makes the Final Four infinitely more enjoyable.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Duke loss meant I win the office pool.

Truly a win-win!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Wow! We beat Kansas, North Carolina, and Kentucky in consecutive games!

Interesting Stat: Kentucky has been in the Final Four 17 times. Auburn has only been in the NCAA tournament 10 times!

Another Interesting Stat: Auburn has four wins over AP Top 10 opponents this March. Prior to this month, Auburn didn't have more than two wins over AP Top 10 teams in an entire season!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jaymann wrote:No Duke and no UNC makes the Final Four infinitely more enjoyable.
I strongly disagree with half of this statement.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Just wanted to Go State! on DD*'s behalf.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:49 am Just wanted to Go State! on DD*'s behalf.
Not sure if you're April Fooling or what, but DD was a Wolverine.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:52 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:49 am Just wanted to Go State! on DD*'s behalf.
Not sure if you're April Fooling or what, but DD was a Wolverine.
Your Alam Mater, then you would know. Who is the big MSU fan North of Wayne County then? I know that person exists but now I have no idea who it is.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

rshetts was a Sparty, I believe, but I don't see him around much anymore.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:12 pm No Duke and no UNC makes the Final Four infinitely more enjoyable.
Duke being out is by far the more enjoyable thing as I was expecting them to rename the tournament NCAA Zion Madness. I swear the announcers brought him up just about every single play. MI state miss a shot? It was cause of Zion. Zion not even on the floor, lets talk about what he would have done if he was on the floor that last play. Not to mention we would get 3 different angles in slo-mo of any Zion shot, even the frickin' misses!! I know we are not totally out of the woods as I am sure the announcers will continue to bring him up at any opportunity during the remaining games, but hopefully it won't be as bad.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Had an breaking ESPN update when I landed that Calipari was in talks with UCLA for a huge contract to become their coach. 2 hours later, and I get another update saying that he has agreed to a lifetime contract with Kentucky, with a head coach extension, then "ambassador" duties.

Looks like he just played UCLA to get a raise out of Kentucky, but maybe there's something more I'm missing there.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The date?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Honestly I'm glad Duke's out so I can stop hearing Carolina fans whine about Zion's media coverage. I swear if they're not crying about the referees they're crying about media coverage. :P
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:01 pm Honestly I'm glad Duke's out so I can stop hearing Carolina fans whine about Zion's media coverage. I swear if they're not crying about the referees they're crying about media coverage. :P
It wasn’t just Carolina fans. I didnt watch any college hoops this year, but was sick to death of ESPN’s nonstop breathless Zion updates every time Duke played.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:47 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:01 pm Honestly I'm glad Duke's out so I can stop hearing Carolina fans whine about Zion's media coverage. I swear if they're not crying about the referees they're crying about media coverage. :P
It wasn’t just Carolina fans. I didnt watch any college hoops this year, but was sick to death of ESPN’s nonstop breathless Zion updates every time Duke played.
I'd say that was the general sentiment around here as well, but around here there was always a presumption that MSU was going to meet Duke and lose and MSU fans already hate ESPN because ESPN has been trying to link Izzo to Nasser since Nasser became a household name. The result is there is a built in criticism of ESPN and a built in notice of all things shiny for Duke and specifically for all mentions of Zion. As of Monday, there was still the belief that CBS will talk about Zion more than any player playing in the MSU Texas Tech game. Though it's not said with quite as much spite as when they talk about ESPN.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:56 am
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:47 pm
I'd say that was the general sentiment around here as well, but around here there was always a presumption that MSU was going to meet Duke and lose and MSU fans already hate ESPN because ESPN has been trying to link Izzo to Nasser since Nasser became a household name.
That seems a bit of a stretch since he died in 1970.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 am I'd say that was the general sentiment around here as well, but around here there was always a presumption that MSU was going to meet Duke and lose and MSU fans already hate ESPN because ESPN has been trying to link Izzo to Nasser since Nasser became a household name.
That seems a bit of a stretch since he died in 1970.
[/quote]

I had to google who you were talking about and I see that I should have spelled Nassar instead of Nasser. On the other hand if you google ESPN Nassar, google will auto predict Izzo.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

The Horns beat TCU and can finish no worse than the 66th best team in the country. Yay NIT!

Too much snark? Am grateful the team has gotten a chance to continue playing and practicing...it can only help and with a lauded recruiting class (at least by Texas standards) coming in next year maybe the Shaka Smart era finally kicks into high gear next year. But I don't think it was a stretch to say Smart was coaching for his job in this tournament. A disappointing year that is maybe slightly assuaged by this run but man we better make the dance next year.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Seeing Rick Majerus get inducted to the college basketball hall of fame was an emotional moment for all of us in Utah.

Miss you, Big Rick. :cry:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:pop:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

No, CBS, that was not a "controversial" foul. It was a very clear foul at the worst possible time for Auburn.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Balanced by the fact that no one knows that double dribble rule.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 pm Balanced by the fact that no one knows that double dribble rule.
This guy was screaming at his TV. But I didn't see it until the first replay.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hope everyone took the under.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Heavy
Scooters were the first casualties of celebration after Texas Tech won its Final Four matchup on Saturday night and advanced to the championship game on Monday. And much of the Internet joked about the scooters’ demise.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:I hope everyone took the under.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Great comeback by Tech, but I think the best team won.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congrats to UVA. Tech didn’t make the shots that they needed to, and leaving the 3-shooters open on the corners sure didn’t help.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:56 pm Congrats to UVA. Tech didn’t make the shots that they needed to, and leaving the 3-shooters open on the corners sure didn’t help.
No dog in the hunt but that was a damn good game by two really good teams. TTU is going to be a force in the Big 12 as long a Beard is their coach. Love the redemption narrative for UVA though...really cool sports story.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

We do a just for fun work tourney, at least 1/2 the people in it are not really basketball fans (take their kid's school or their alma mater or local team or whatever usually). About 35 participants.

I don't follow basketball and don't know much about it (I know a few bigger name teams, so I'd generally pick Duke over "school I've never heard of"; but I wouldn't have a clue other than their seed ranking how say Duke and Michigan State compare).

I won last year, named my bracket "Doomed to repeat history" and just won again this year. We have a final score for tie-breakers - I put in 87-77; actual final score 85-77.

This just amuses the heck outta me even though there is no prize other than bragging rights.

Had to ask if anyone has one won 2 years in a row before (I have not been in this since the beginning and don't track winners really; had to ask to confirm I was the winner last year).

:lol: :horse: :dance: