MLB POST SEASON 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: MLB POST SEASON 2018

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet, Brewers force a game seven at home!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:19 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:43 pm
Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm Code words, much harder to interpret on the fly than signs.
The problem is audible code words would be pretty easy for the other team to figure out. You might as well just say "fastball".
Would think it'd be easier to change them in the dugout. They wouldn't have to be nearly as complicated as signs. Omaha=fastball up, Nebraska=fastball down, Texas=slider, Cali=change up, New York =breaking ball
Then next inning it's colors. Pink =fastball up, Red=slider, etc
Shouldn't be that difficult
Nah, you gotta go next level with this stuff. Make "Fastball" = Changeup, and "Changeup" = Fastball.

They'll never see it coming.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 am Sweet, Brewers force a game seven at home!
Hey Californian whose side are you on anyway??! :)
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well it could be worse, Darvish could be pitching.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:47 am
Jaymann wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 am Sweet, Brewers force a game seven at home!
Hey Californian whose side are you on anyway??! :)
That would be the Angels and the Padres...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nobody watching?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hell yeah!!
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

YASIEL!!!!

(fyi i am not liking the smoltz/buck combo. I keep getting the feeling their rooting for the brewers)
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congrats to the Dodgers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

THIS WORLD SERIES IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!!!

(We’re prolly going to lose but it’ll still be awesome)
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

#repeat
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:13 am#repeat
Well this time we won't be favored, that's for sure. We'll see how the pitching holds up.....
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm guessing Red Sox in 6. Though if Sale isn't healthy and Price returns to his old shaky playoff ways, it could easily swing in the Dodgers direction.

We'll see! Excited for tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sox in 5. We'll win our first game at home and call it a day.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think it will go 7. But the Dodgers will melt down in game seven and lose 18-2.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The main questions for me on the Red Sox side:

(1) Is Sale healthy?
(2) Will Price not suck?
(3) Will the bullpen continue to perform?
(4) How many Red Sox fans will Craig Kimbrel kill in the 9th innings?
(5) Will Mookie Betts hit at his MVP level (having had a mediocre offensive postseason thus far)?

The main thing is Sale and Price - if they're healthy and on, then Sale + Price + Eovaldi + the Red Sox offense is pretty hard to stop. If Sale and Price are shaky, then the series becomes up for grabs.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

What about "Where will Mookie play in LA?" Or more generally, "What will the Red Sox lineup be in LA?"
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:15 pm What about "Where will Mookie play in LA?" Or more generally, "What will the Red Sox lineup be in LA?"
The two defensible lineups that I've been for the LA games involve:

(1) Start J.D. Martinez in right, Mookie in center, and have JBJ come off the bench (this seems reasonably likely for games where the Dodgers are starting a lefty).
(2) Start J.D. Martinez in right, JBJ in center, and Mookie at 2nd base (where he played in college).
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I guess in some way that is a Dodger advantage, as it's easy to add a DH, not so easy to subtract one.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hmm this game is more interesting than I thought it would be. How many times did Sale go 3-2?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well it WAS interesting. Naturally shitty Kershaw shows up, thanks dude.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:08 pm I guess in some way that is a Dodger advantage, as it's easy to add a DH, not so easy to subtract one.
Yeah, plus Kemp seems to be perfectly suited for DH'ing.

There is significant potential upside to Betts at 2B. You risk Betts being a rusty fielder there, but you get the offensive upgrade from Kinsler to Betts.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:33 pm Well it WAS interesting. Naturally shitty Kershaw shows up, thanks dude.
I wouldn't put too much on Kershaw - he gave up two singles in the fifth, it happens. Gabson (whatever the reliever was who came in) was the one who immediately gave up a 4 pitch walk, and then gave up a hit to Devers.

It's part of why I think starting pitchers shouldn't be charged for a full run when a batter that they leave on base comes around to score. Kershaw left with a runner on first and second. The runner on first especially is more the responsibility of the reliever than him - Kershaw only let him get to first. So Kershaw should be charged with .5 runs when the runner from second scores, and .25 for the runner from first (with the reliever getting the balance of each). Seems much fairer.

I'd also put some blame on Roberts for ditching Baez for Wood. Baez seemed completely unhittable. Wood...not so much.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:33 pm Well it WAS interesting. Naturally shitty Kershaw shows up, thanks dude.
send him my thanks as well :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:09 pm
send him my thanks as well :)
Unfortunately Sick Man Sale showed up too - flashes of greatness, but not able to be dominant (and ultimately charged with 3 over essentially 3 innings). Fortunately the Sox bullpen was good again (so weird that that's suddenly a strength), even though Brasier was shaky, and the offense is still great (even with mediocre production from Betts still).
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Why do you say 3 over 3? He pitched one batter into the fifth.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:06 pm Why do you say 3 over 3? He pitched one batter into the fifth.
Ohh, right. 3 over 4, is what I meant. He faced one batter on the fifth, which he didn't retire, so technically that's 4+ I suppose.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It bothers me more that the relievers aren't charged with runs they inherit, in that they are supposed to be out there specifically to get outs and if they don't, that should be a mark against them. I know there are advanced metrics that demonstrate that, but unfortunately such metrics are way over the heads of Buck/Smoltz.

As in this stat:

The most misleading stat in this World Series is Ryan Madson's 0.00 ERA. If he never pitches again in this WS I'll be quite happy.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They should start him the next two games then lift him after one batter.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:56 pm It bothers me more that the relievers aren't charged with runs they inherit, in that they are supposed to be out there specifically to get outs and if they don't, that should be a mark against them. I know there are advanced metrics that demonstrate that, but unfortunately such metrics are way over the heads of Buck/Smoltz.

As in this stat:

The most misleading stat in this World Series is Ryan Madson's 0.00 ERA. If he never pitches again in this WS I'll be quite happy.
So far it seems like when Roberts goes to the pen, he usually comes back with a worse pitcher.

To be fair to Madson, though, he came *really* close to getting the job done in game 1. He walked his first batter, then struck out J.D. Martinez on three pitches (not easy) then got Bogaerts to hit into an inning-ending double play (which the Dodgers infield failed to convert).
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got to watch the first two innings! I'm glad we got the win and Price was impressive but soooooooooooooo slooooooooooow. I thought there was some emphasis on how often he was supposed to throw a pitch. I was clocking him nearly 2 minutes between pitches. Agonizing and boring.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Can you give us a win for our home fans please? Thanks.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 am Can you give us a win for our home fans please? Thanks.
Porcello's starting game 3 for the Red Sox. He has moments of dominance, but he's beatable.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

So very annoying to me that the Tigers suck so bad right now and yet so many key players on the Sox came from here. Good thing we kept Vmart around rather than all of them. Dropping his contract could probably have made keeping them all reasonable. Get rid of him and Miggy and we could certainly have done it. Such bad contracts that have cost us so much talent. Sigh.

Anyway, due to the ex-Tigers, GO SOX!
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:57 am So very annoying to me that the Tigers suck so bad right now and yet so many key players on the Sox came from here. Good thing we kept Vmart around rather than all of them. Dropping his contract could probably have made keeping them all reasonable. Get rid of him and Miggy and we could certainly have done it. Such bad contracts that have cost us so much talent. Sigh.

And not just the players - also Dave Dombrowski.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:57 am So very annoying to me that the Tigers suck so bad right now and yet so many key players on the Sox came from here. Good thing we kept Vmart around rather than all of them. Dropping his contract could probably have made keeping them all reasonable. Get rid of him and Miggy and we could certainly have done it. Such bad contracts that have cost us so much talent. Sigh.

Fantastic Ex Tigers are everywhere and some of them are the cost of moving forward, some of them I don't get. While I wasn't happy about re-signing Miggy early, I kinda understood it, less so Verlander, VMart made no sense. I was already disinterested after a year of Ausmus. I was vocal against Verlander and Miggy signings. They lost me with VMart. I'm not sure what would get me watching regularly again. The Tiger organization that had been humming along let this team collapse to protect contracts that made no sense to me. They should have seen "the window closing" and been retooling the 2nd year in to Ausmus career. Instead they demonstrated loyalty to players that were already showing major signs of failure. Good for V for bouncing back. I still don't regret my opinion and if I were to have given a big contract to retain an ace at the time, I would have rolled back one year, kept Scherzer and let V walk if it Max' contract hurt his ego. Though honestly, I probably would have let Max go to but in doing so I would have gotten *something* for him as a rental and began stocking my system at that time.

In short, the cracks began in 13 but... 15, 16, 17. Three years a long time to let your team go to complete shit and make bad decisions at every turn and in those three years I found better things to do with most of my summer evenings.
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am And not just the players - also Dave Dombrowski.
Unless something comes out the Dombrowski was just playing pawn for GM Mike Illitch, I would say he evolved from incredible GM to part of the problem. Even if we was playing pawn, he should have been standing up on occasion and saying "this is just not a good decision." Dombrowski was a wizard early on but again, the cracks were showing as early as 2013.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:18 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am And not just the players - also Dave Dombrowski.
Unless something comes out the Dombrowski was just playing pawn for GM Mike Illitch, I would say he evolved from incredible GM to part of the problem. Even if we was playing pawn, he should have been standing up on occasion and saying "this is just not a good decision." Dombrowski was a wizard early on but again, the cracks were showing as early as 2013.
I will say, notwithstanding this season, that I'm not totally sold on Dombrowski. I get the impression that he pillaged the Tigers's farm system in trades to build those Tigers contenders. And he's kind of doing that with the Red Sox - traded a ton of prospects away, admittedly for some good players - Sale, Eovaldi, Kimbrel (who is off and on a good player), etc. So I tend to assume that the Red Sox are going to stop getting great players out of their farm system in the near future, and that we'll eventually be in for maybe 5 - 10 years of mediocrity.

Of course, if the Red Sox win the World Series this year, then you figure that's worth it.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:29 am I will say, notwithstanding this season, that I'm not totally sold on Dombrowski. I get the impression that he pillaged the Tigers's farm system in trades to build those Tigers contenders. And he's kind of doing that with the Red Sox - traded a ton of prospects away, admittedly for some good players - Sale, Eovaldi, Kimbrel (who is off and on a good player), etc. So I tend to assume that the Red Sox are going to stop getting great players out of their farm system in the near future, and that we'll eventually be in for maybe 5 - 10 years of mediocrity.

Of course, if the Red Sox win the World Series this year, then you figure that's worth it.
I'm OK with pillaging the system to win now. I wasn't OK with with hitting the end of Win Now and holding on to assets showing signs of decline by giving them huge long term contracts. That's when you admit defeat and sell them as rentals to rebuild the system. The cracks were there in 2013. Dom had two to three years on most of those contracts, rather than using his people during that time and then dealing them at then he re-signed them all early while continuing to empty the farm system giving up even more and more because what you have is less and less valuable... Then *someone* decided Ausmus was their guy. If not the GM then who? And what did the GM have to say to who?

But it's is good to see our people thriving elsewhere.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dodgers are not going to give out long term contracts to guys over 30. There MIGHT be an exception with Kershaw only because the Dodgers' owner says he wants Kershaw to be a Dodger for life. I hope not, or if they keep him, he has to come out of the pen once the playoffs start.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:21 pm Dodgers are not going to give out long term contracts to guys over 30. There MIGHT be an exception with Kershaw only because the Dodgers' owner says he wants Kershaw to be a Dodger for life. I hope not, or if they keep him, he has to come out of the pen once the playoffs start.
Smart IMO, unless you are the face of the franchise and give "a hometown discount" or you are giving demonstrable reason to show you are the exception, you are now a tradable asset and will net me what the market will bear or find yourself seeking what the market will bear when your contract expires.

The flip side of this, as an owner who does not show loyalty to aging assets who have already made enough to retire comfortably by providing them with 8 figure salaries in to their declining sports years, I will keep the idea of taking a family to see a ballgame as affordable as I can.

(Also I don't blame players for wanting as big of a slice of the pie as they can get. There are billions being exchanged over watching adults play games. I just wouldn't own a team (or manage a team) that is friendly to that pursuit.)