El Guapo

Re: MLB POST SEASON 2018

Post by El Guapo »

That was better.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

While the Red Sox bullpen (outside of ALDS game 1) has actually been pretty good this postseason, I don't see how the Red Sox can win the World Series if Kimbrel doesn't get better. It's like they're playing Russian Roulette every time that they send him out to close - it's going to blow up in their faces one of these games.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 am While the Red Sox bullpen (outside of ALDS game 1) has actually been pretty good this postseason, I don't see how the Red Sox can win the World Series if Kimbrel doesn't get better. It's like they're playing Russian Roulette every time that they send him out to close - it's going to blow up in their faces one of these games.
Maybe if he just stopped hunching over like a vampire.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:58 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 am While the Red Sox bullpen (outside of ALDS game 1) has actually been pretty good this postseason, I don't see how the Red Sox can win the World Series if Kimbrel doesn't get better. It's like they're playing Russian Roulette every time that they send him out to close - it's going to blow up in their faces one of these games.
Maybe if he just stopped hunching over like a vampire.
I always assume that he's pretending to be a raptor in order to scare the hitters.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Don't worry, if the Dodgers are in the WS, our closer is all over the place so it'll be even steven.
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Craig Counsell explaining his bullpen usage:

Enlarge Image
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Speaking of bullpen usage (or lack thereof), why would Roberts leave Buehler in after 95+ pitches?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:51 pm Speaking of bullpen usage (or lack thereof), why would Roberts leave Buehler in after 95+ pitches?
Who the hell knows. He mis-managed the f out of that game in my opinion. At least he had enough sense to tell Grandal he wasn't starting tonight on TV. Not only does he let Buehler hit, he doesn't have him bunt. WTF?? C'mon, when Smoltz is right and you are wrong you know you have a problem :).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:24 pm
Don't worry, if the Dodgers are in the WS, our closer is all over the place so it'll be even steven.
Well, that makes me feel better.

Though I suspect that Kimbrel will keep the Red Sox from making the WS, so...
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Check swings, like NFL catches, are one of those things where I really just can't tell what the standard is. Seems like every umpire calls them differently.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Now THAT looks like a team that won 108 games!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:05 pm Now THAT looks like a team that won 108 games!
Indeed. The offense has been clicking. And Eovaldi is getting himself paid this offseason.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Brewers pitchers seem to be pretty good.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Next time Machado comes up he's going to get beaned.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

AMAZING
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:24 am Next time Machado comes up he's going to get beaned.
No way could they afford to put a man on base like that, for some dumbass reason. The Brewers want to win the game, not give away free opportunities. This is postseason, all that beaning to get back at a guy is over.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:09 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:05 pm Now THAT looks like a team that won 108 games!
Indeed. The offense has been clicking. And Eovaldi is getting himself paid this offseason.
I was awake for this!!

I had to go out to dinner for work. I was following along on my phone and got to kinda experience the grand slam. Very nice!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Wow. I went to bed in the 8th. Sounds like that was both a good and bad decision.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:09 pm
I was awake for this!!

I had to go out to dinner for work. I was following along on my phone and got to kinda experience the grand slam. Very nice!
I'm curious how they pick the game start times - they seem to change wildly from one game to the next (as Luis Severino can attest). But overall I did enjoy the 5 pm start time - among other things, it meant that my 6 YO son (who, for some reason, is a big JBJ fan) got to see Jackie Bradley's grand slam. Unfortunately for you and for my son, however, tonight's start time is 8:30 pm.

Incidentally, kind of amazing that JBJ (the #9 hitter) has 7 RBIs in the past two games.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Reports: Indians Warned Red Sox Of Astros Employee Who Took Photos Of Dugout In ALDS

An earlier report from MetroBoston seemed to play up the fact that the removed employee been caught with a camera and frequently texting, and that security had been warned about the employee “because of some suspicious activity in Houston’s ALDS series against the Cleveland Indians.” Additionally, Cleveland.com reported that Indians team officials officially filed a complaint with MLB about the Astros trying to film inside their dugout during the Game 3 of the ALDS. (Houston swept that series, 3-0.)

It turns out that the same Houston employee was involved in both situations, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. The Indians reportedly warned the Red Sox of a staffer named Kyle McLaughlin prior to the ALCS. Just like in Boston, security had reportedly removed McLaughlin from the area in Cleveland.

MLB wrote:According to the source, the Astros employee had gone into the photo well down the first base line to monitor the Red Sox dugout. An MLB investigation into the matter concluded that the Astros employee was on something of a spy-vs.-spy mission to determine whether the Red Sox were using dugout video monitors to steal signs from the Astros.

[...]

The Astros employee was discovered during the early innings of Game 1 of the ALCS and removed from the photo pit by Fenway Park security. He was told not to return to the area. The behavior that was stopped, according to the source, was not believed to have gleaned a competitive advantage for the Astros.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

One wonders if Machado is doing this crap just to f*ck with the Brewers and put them off their game. I dunno if it worked, if the Brewers would have won without all the histrionics regarding Machado, but they didn't win and bitched a ton afterward. To me, you gotta leave that crap alone. You're there to win a ball game and sure Machado is a punk but so what? What does what he did have to do with winning the game? And I've now read twice that somehow what Machado did is going to make teams 'think twice' about signing him next year. Uh no. Teams nowadays (except maybe the Mets) look at spreadsheets to decide who to sign and how much to offer. What he did does not show up on a spreadsheet, he'll be signed by somebody for big money, trust me.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Oakland Raiders might be interested.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:06 am What does what he did have to do with winning the game?
Intentionally hurting a player can certainly have an outcome on the game.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 am The Oakland Raiders might be interested.
Las Vegas Raiders, thank you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I did very much enjoy Counsell's response. Asked whether Machado was going too far in playing hard, he replied "I don't think he's playing that hard."
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:14 am
Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:06 am What does what he did have to do with winning the game?
Had he hurt him, yeah, absolutely. I would hope that he'd have been ejected. Unlike the Utley thing that would not have been a legal play. But he didn't hurt him and that's my point. When he kept kicking the second baseman they correctly called a double play on that move, I don't have a problem with that, you gotta play the game by the rules. But what he did last night was not against the rules. "Dirty" but not against the rules.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 am I did very much enjoy Counsell's response. Asked whether Machado was going too far in playing hard, he replied "I don't think he's playing that hard."
He scored the winning run against them I don't know what the hell Counsell is talking about. He played harder than they did apparently.

(All of this is simply my opinion and not to be taken too seriously :) )
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 am
Had he hurt him, yeah, absolutely. I would hope that he'd have been ejected. Unlike the Utley thing that would not have been a legal play. But he didn't hurt him and that's my point. When he kept kicking the second baseman they correctly called a double play on that move, I don't have a problem with that, you gotta play the game by the rules. But what he did last night was not against the rules. "Dirty" but not against the rules.
You've gone pretty far around the bend when this is your argument.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Games like yesterday are what drives me crazy about baseball.

One guy, Osuna, with two out, gives up 2 singles, 2 hit by pitch, and a home run. The rest of the game was meaningless.

It was also frustrating that after Keuchel gets back on track, including 4 innings of no runs and retiring 6 straight, gets lifted for a sketchy reliever who promptly gives up a home run.

I have a really hard time believing the overuse of mediocre relievers is statistically valid.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:12 pm Games like yesterday are what drives me crazy about baseball.

One guy, Osuna, with two out, gives up 2 singles, 2 hit by pitch, and a home run. The rest of the game was meaningless.

It was also frustrating that after Keuchel gets back on track, including 4 innings of no runs and retiring 6 straight, gets lifted for a sketchy reliever who promptly gives up a home run.

I have a really hard time believing the overuse of mediocre relievers is statistically valid.
I don't understand it either. Where are the sabermetrics on this? Our old manager always went off on you have to manage for a 162 game season and I hated the rational and have never seen the studies that makes the book he's managing from, and right now your managing to make it to next game or series and then be done.

There are a long long long list of thing things I don't understand in sports, like what is the math for "going for it on forth down" both for short punts and for trying to get 7 as opposed to probably getting 3.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:21 pm There are a long long long list of thing things I don't understand in sports, like what is the math for "going for it on forth down" both for short punts and for trying to get 7 as opposed to probably getting 3.
Google is your friend. Here is just one analysis. There are many, many others.

Edit: And here's one for the NFL specifically.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:12 pm Games like yesterday are what drives me crazy about baseball.

On Osuna, the Astros pitchers had a lot of close calls and great defensive plays earlier in the game, so it's not entirely like it was just one fluke inning. Well, it sort of was, but it's the kind of thing where the Red Sox are hitting the ball hard and getting it in play, and no matter how good your defense is that's going to blow up on you sooner or later. Like, the big inning could have been earlier (the 2nd, I think?) where Pearce had the bases loaded and hit a long fly ball that would have hit the wall but for an amazing play from the Astros left fielder.

On relievers, my understanding of the evidence is that there's pretty compelling arguments that they've been under-utilized in the past vs. letting starters stay in for the 3rd and 4th times through the order. That said, there are going to be cases where it's a mistake to bring in relievers too early, and it seems like this was one of them (though in fairness to the reliever, Pearce has been hitting the ball well lately, so it's not like giving up a home run to him is a weird result).
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:53 am
OK then MLB should change the rules if that's to be an infraction. Make it an infraction and he's ejected or the team is penalized. I don't have a problem with that. I have a big problem with these 'unwritten rules', which seems like this is. Neither the NFL or the NBA have issues like this because they don't have 'unwritten rules'. Unbelievably with those leagues, the rules are the rules, and they get changed as needed. MLB has a poor history in taking care of the players safety and this may be another example of that. So the players need to lobby to change the rules. They changed the rule with that Utley play that broke the player's leg didn't they? So if this is a player safety issue, make it a rule instead of the bullshit they have now.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:41 pm

On Osuna, the Astros pitchers had a lot of close calls and great defensive plays earlier in the game, so it's not entirely like it was just one fluke inning. Well, it sort of was, but it's the kind of thing where the Red Sox are hitting the ball hard and getting it in play, and no matter how good your defense is that's going to blow up on you sooner or later. Like, the big inning could have been earlier (the 2nd, I think?) where Pearce had the bases loaded and hit a long fly ball that would have hit the wall but for an amazing play from the Astros left fielder.

On relievers, my understanding of the evidence is that there's pretty compelling arguments that they've been under-utilized in the past vs. letting starters stay in for the 3rd and 4th times through the order. That said, there are going to be cases where it's a mistake to bring in relievers too early, and it seems like this was one of them (though in fairness to the reliever, Pearce has been hitting the ball well lately, so it's not like giving up a home run to him is a weird result).
I don't mind the home run. That's going to happen. But two HBP with 2 out is ridiculous.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:48 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't mind the home run. That's going to happen. But two HBP with 2 out is ridiculous.
Yeah. I assume something was off with Osuna, either mental or physical.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:24 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:21 pm There are a long long long list of thing things I don't understand in sports, like what is the math for "going for it on forth down" both for short punts and for trying to get 7 as opposed to probably getting 3.

Those are the tangibles I wonder about. I also wonder about the greater effect on the game. If the conventional wisdom is a secondary goal after scoring the most points is time of possession, which gives you more opportunity to score and wears down you opponents defense positions more while keeping your fresh, doesn't it stand to reason that you should look for ways to maximize the amount offensive plays in your game? 4th and 4 midfield and I'm down by six or up by four? Field goal say 30/70 and punt might get you 15 yards of better defensive position? So let's punt makes no sense to me. It seems like the worst of possible worlds.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:52 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Those are the tangibles I wonder about. I also wonder about the greater effect on the game. If the conventional wisdom is a secondary goal after scoring the most points is time of possession, which gives you more opportunity to score and wears down you opponents defense positions more while keeping your fresh, doesn't it stand to reason that you should look for ways to maximize the amount offensive plays in your game? 4th and 4 midfield and I'm down by six or up by four? Field goal say 30/70 and punt might get you 15 yards of better defensive position? So let's punt makes no sense to me. It seems like the worst of possible worlds.
This probably doesn't belong in the MLB thread anymore, but I'm not sure who you are arguing against. Actually, I'm not 100% sure I know what you are arguing. :) The numbers agree that punting makes no sense - you should go for it in a close game if you are at midfield and have 4th and 4.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:53 am
OK then MLB should change the rules if that's to be an infraction. Make it an infraction and he's ejected or the team is penalized. I don't have a problem with that. I have a big problem with these 'unwritten rules', which seems like this is. Neither the NFL or the NBA have issues like this because they don't have 'unwritten rules'. Unbelievably with those leagues, the rules are the rules, and they get changed as needed. MLB has a poor history in taking care of the players safety and this may be another example of that. So the players need to lobby to change the rules. They changed the rule with that Utley play that broke the player's leg didn't they? So if this is a player safety issue, make it a rule instead of the bullshit they have now.
Machado purposefully tried to kick that first baseman's leg. It doesn't matter that the first baseman didn't get hurt, that move is dirty. The Brewers called him dirty and other names (ie, he doesn't play hard). To me these fall under the "we think he's scum, so we're calling him names to try to hurt him" umbrella. You are seeming to argue that he is dirty but so what. I'm just saying that defense and picking on the names he was called is weak. You are rooting for a dirty player and you have to live with it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I root for my TEAMS, I do not root for players, ever. I own all of one jersey, and that's Jackie Robinson's jersey. Once Machado is not a Dodger he can go to hell for all I care. What I'm rooting for is rules and the application of them instead of name calling which does nothing. OK so he's dirty. It only matters that he's dirty when the MLB doesn't clean up the dirty play. The NBA used to be a game where the biggest thug won, 'let the players play!!' and all that shit. Now the NBA game is far cleaner because of the creation and application of rules. The MLB needs to follow suit.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is kicking an opposing player not against MLB rules? It would be weird if that's the case.
Black Lives Matter.